Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL.com Top 10 2018 Rookie Classes

DaveA1102

Drafts going this well is not the norm

for the Colts. Ballard is on record of

saying there is talent in every round, you just have to find them.

I will be beside myself if he can find

quality players while picking later in

the draft, as this will happen when the team starts winning and making 

the playoffs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dodsworth said:

the playoffs.

The way this is formatted made me read it like it was some kind of limerick. haha

4 hours ago, dodsworth said:

the playoffs.

Leonard was a second rounder, so if Ballard can find talent of that caliber late in the first, we're good. 

I believe our 3rd-5th round pick-ups were also good.  We just let go of Turbin due to two of those.  Fountain is still on P.S.  People want to complain that something must be wrong that Fountain hasn't been moved up yet when others have.  But the talent and size is there, and Ballard said he was a project.  Has he ever been let go off P.S. like many others? No? Then something is obviously there.  Cain is another late rounder who there is buzz about.

Ballard has an eye for talent, and an idea of the types of people he wants in the building.  He'll do it, but you can't expect every pick to come in day 1, even year 1 and be a big contributor.  Sometimes late rounders are projects that take a year to three to begin producing.  Even early rounders like Turay.  No-one here is going to say Turay is a top notch producer right now.  But he's getting play time for his raw abilities, and being coached by very good coaches.  Next year he should be more productive. Same thing happened to his teacher...Mr. Mathis.  Took him a year to get acclimated.

• Like 3

On 11/9/2018 at 10:28 AM, dodsworth said:

the playoffs.

The idea of stacking drafts is just that. As you experience more success, picking later in each round, you have to hit on early picks. Early picks become your contributors, with mid to late rounders becoming your depth guys. If you can field a roster of seasoned vets that you have drafted/developed/re-signed, and consistently net good contributors in the early rounds of your draft, those mid to late round gems become the depth that wins championships. 

Vision is there. Just takes some time. 

• Like 2

It's very rare that a GM hits on as many picks as Ballard did this last draft. The trade down to get the extra pick and still get Nelson was a thing of beauty.

I know some were not happy with the Nelson pick but with him and the Smith pick it changed this team drastically.

Most of us were on board with the main objective of protecting Luck and Ballard showed he was too.

Hopefully Ballard can do the same thing for the defensive line as he did for the offensive line next draft. 

Trenches are what win games, always has been.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

It's very rare that a GM hits on as many picks as Ballard did this last draft. The trade down to get the extra pick and still get Nelson was a thing of beauty.

I know some were not happy with the Nelson pick but with him and the Smith pick it changed this team drastically.

Most of us were on board with the main objective of protecting Luck and Ballard showed he was too.

Hopefully Ballard can do the same thing for the defensive line as he did for the offensive line next draft. 

Trenches are what win games, always has been.

Agreed.  And getting those extra #2s is what really gave us the opportunity for this jump-start.  

I'm really seeing the (potential) value of draft capital after this draft.  Much more than previously.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think it has been a good draft.  However it looks like last year was kind of a  bust for Ballard.

How do you figure it was a bust?

Hooker-still young and has had some injuries

Wilson-work on progress

Basham- bust

Banner-bust

Mack- just fine

Stewart-work in progress

Hairston-work in progress

Walker-work in progress

6 out of 8 still on the team and learning.  Can't say it's a bust at this point.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Wilson-work on progress

Basham- bust

Banner-bust

Mack- just fine

Stewart-work in progress

Walker-work in progress

6 out of 8 still on the team and learning.  Can't say it's a bust at this point.

Bust mayb to strong of a word.  However, our  2nd...3rd and 4th rounders haven't amounted to much I expect a 2nd and 3rd to have some impact on the team.  Hooker is often injured and that is the knock against him coming out of college.  Mack mayb the best player from last year's draft.  I am not knocking Ballard but if we r going to praise him for his draft this year, we can't simply sweep last years draft under the rug and pretend it never happened. I do like this year's draft but a lot of the players have become starters not only because this roster lacks any talent

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Bust mayb to strong of a word.  However, our  2nd...3rd and 4th rounders haven't amounted to much I expect a 2nd and 3rd to have some impact on the team.  Hooker is often injured and that is the knock against him coming out of college.  Mack mayb the best player from last year's draft.  I am not knocking Ballard but if we r going to praise him for his draft this year, we can't simply sweep last years draft under the rug and pretend it never happened. I do like this year's draft but a lot of the players have become starters not only because this roster lacks any talent

There is nothing to sweep under the rug. Normally it takes 3 years to judge a draft. When ever a GM can hit on 6 of 8 picks it's above average.

Add last years and this years draft together and Ballard has done a fantastic job. Pretty damn good for a beginning GM no matter how you look at it.

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

U will have to wait till the end of this year if not longer before one can fully evaluate this draft.

While this is true we already have 3 starters and 2 RBs that contribute. We still have to see Turay, Moore and Lewis.

We may end up with 4 or 5 starters out of this draft plus the 2 RBs.

There is not a lot of evaluating left.

21 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

But he's getting play time for his raw abilities, and being coached by very good coaches.  Next year he should be more productive. 

This is the one thing I'm scared of.  People see we have a good coaching staff and start picking off us.  I like this coaching staff.  Seems everyone from top to bottom is solid.  

11 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think it has been a good draft.  However it looks like last year was kind of a  bust for Ballard.

I have to kind of agree.  I wouldn't say a bust, but it hasn't hit the mark.  Hooker has been fine, Mack now that he's behind a good OL is showing he's fine.  The rest of the draft is still learning.  I'd give it until midway through next year to judge that draft.  

14 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I see a starting safety in Hooker that is extremely talented and only going to get better. 

I see a runningback in Mack that could be the next big money maker at the position come 2020. 

Walker is a great fit for this defense. He is either going to grow into a great starting linebacker, or be tremendous depth piece for this unit going forward. Either way, far from a bust pick. 

Stewart and Hairston are growing with experience... Part of having a young team and growing pains, is developing your draft picks more quickly. 

• Thanks 1

I think Walker has been pretty good this year.  Last year was tough for him due to injuries and such but he has been relatively healthy this year, has learned, and it has shown out.  I'm NOT saying he's a star or a Pro Bowler but I believe he's been pretty solid and has earned his starting job to date.

13 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Wilson-work on progress

Basham- bust

Banner-bust

Mack- just fine

Stewart-work in progress

Walker-work in progress

Agreed, nowhere near a bust yet. Polian has always said a good draft is if you hit on 50ish percent of your picks.

• Thanks 1

this years class has been great, i put last years below average 

hooker and mack have been good, the rest have not produced much.  the other 4th and 5th round picks have been ok but nothing special.  i think walker has the most potential there

3 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

this years class has been great, i put last years below average 

hooker and mack have been good, the rest have not produced much.  the other 4th and 5th round picks have been ok but nothing special.  i think walker has the most potential there

Have you heard from most experts it takes three years to judge a draft?  It's pre mature to call it below average right now.

It's unrealistic to expect to get more than 2 starters out of a draft in the first couple of years.

I am not saying that all of the 6 draft picks on the team are going to be starters. They don't have to be. This team was lacking depth big time and depth players are just as important than the starters.

14 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I would say it was an average draft. It has produced two definite starters at the RB and safety positions.  Also depth/starters at the CB position.  Compared to the grigson years it was needed.