Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Defense....and the Jags

Crunked

Defense:

At the start of the season, the teams defense seemed to be clicking and the offense was still clunky, the last 3 games its kind of been the other way around. I haven't been able to find resolve on what has happened to the defense. It could be injuries, Hunt was getting penetration, early on and hasn't and he has been nicked up a bit, Leonard although a perpetual tackle machine, and flashing at points, (and maybe its just my perception) seemed a little slower the last game and a half and his video for the bye week confirmed he was ailing a bit....Hooker and Geathers injuries,  among others. Maybe that's it, Maybe its scheme adjust by our opponents. The whole coaching staff was new to what they do, maybe teams couldn't scheme comfortably against Eberflus as there wasn't enough tape to draw from, maybe our opponents had clunky offenses as well and that was it. But the defense needs to improve, while the offense needs to stay par for the course its on for us to generate some W's......

Jags:

I am eager to see a Frank Reich team's out of the gate after a bye, I penciled this week in as a loss in the pre-season, but I am not as strong in that conviction now as I was then, this could be the start of something for us, or it could be a put us in our place game illustrating that we are capable of beating the worst NFL teams, and look like champs, but come back down to earth against a talented D.  I just don't know what to expect this week, but I think we would do well to jump on them early and often to further demoralize their weak mental resolve....don't let them hang around or worse yet strike first.......Just as long as our defense doesn't make Bortles a pro bowler, that's all I ask......

Just my morning coffee thoughts on things, what are yours?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've said this on multiple forums, blogs, post's and youtube channels:

Eberflus is going to need to change things up schematically if the defense is ever going to live up to it's potential.  The front 7 has got to blitz more often, not stupidly, but more so than dead last in the NFL.  Send an extra person occasionally. We have a crap ton of speed on this defense, make use of surprise hits from different angles.

As for the pass scheme.  I get he is a zone scheme, but does he have to use the EXACT same scheme every time?  He does flip to man occasionally, but every 1st & 10 he calls the same back side defense.  Same with 3rd & short. Flip it, hide it, drop a lineman (like Turay) and blitz a CB...something to get out of the funk of letting every QB who has a minimum football IQ of a mandarin orange pick apart the zone.

Offensively, Keep pounding the rock, and using the TE's.  Sooner or later they'll have to bring someone over the middle to stop the run and TE production, when they do...hit them deep.

Jags are in desperation mode right now. They know if they lose this game, their season is done. Weather the first 2 drives of each side, and get them more on an even keel. If we are even or better after the firestorm they are going to bring, We can then beat them into submission with our ground game.  Get a lead, and make Bortles beat us.  Then send Blitz after blitz, He's not good under pressure.  This is how i see we can completely demoralize, take their will out of the game, and tire them, defeat them as bad as we beat the Bills.

• Like 3

Good points. The Colts definitely need a stronger pass rush.

They do a lot of stunting up front and that can open holes for their opponents run game.           They miss Hunt’s influence (and guys like Audry, Ridgeway and Lewis). 

I think this defense will be an example of  Synergy “ the whole being greater than the sum of it’s parts”. That’s what happened in Philly last year: guys fed off each other and played as a unit. 

Jacksonville right now, is the opposite of that; great individual talent that may not be playing cohesively. Their run defense is vulnerable and that’s good news for the Colts. To not have to throw against that secondary is an advantage.

On the other hand, the Jags could get it together and win a tight one (I don’t think we’ll see another “50 burger”).

I like the Colts’ chances.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

Good points. The Colts definitely need a stronger pass rush.

They do a lot of stunting up front and that can open holes for their opponents run game.           They miss Hunt’s influence (and guys like Audry, Ridgeway and Lewis). 

I think this defense will be an example of  Synergy “ the whole being greater than the sum of it’s parts”. That’s what happened in Philly last year: guys fed off each other and played as a unit. 

Jacksonville right now, is the opposite of that; great individual talent that may not be playing cohesively. Their run defense is vulnerable and that’s good news for the Colts. To not have to throw against that secondary is an advantage.

On the other hand, the Jags could get it together and win a tight one (I don’t think we’ll see another “50 burger”).

I like the Colts’ chances.

If our defense don't change something up,...They might.  But then,..If a team can match pace with that, even against the Jags D,..It's Indy right now.

Missing Hooker alone in itself caused a shake up between what we wanted to do and what we could do on defense. 

If I'm Eberflus, I'm planning to completely shut down the running game and force Bortles to make NFL throws. Then, start the blitzing. 

The key? Can we shut down the running game? I believe a certain big time running back is returning to face us... And it sounds like he will be the main centerpiece this weekend as the Jags try to survive with Bortles. 

• Like 3

I'd bring the house, the shed and the kitchen sink at the run. Shut them down and control the line on both sides of the ball. Make them make mistakes. Get them behind and blitz the crap out of them. 

Offense, strains hard then pound them with the ball relentlesly. 

I'm concerned that we won't be able to stop the Jags run game.  Hopefully memories of Jones-Drew are not rekindled.  

Luck needs to be patient and not force balls.   The Jags secondary is for real.  

As far as the defense goes, I think they are doing great for what they are.  The talent is young.   I think they fall in the low to mid 20's in team defense and points allowed.  I would take that considering where we were last year.   The eye test shows me that this defense is pretty good with lots of potential.   I think next season is when we can crack the top 15.

16 minutes ago, Myles said:

I'm concerned that we won't be able to stop the Jags run game.  Hopefully memories of Jones-Drew are not rekindled.  

Luck needs to be patient and not force balls.   The Jags secondary is for real.  

If the Colts can get play with a lead, it might force the Jags to pass. 

But you’re right, they have to keep from giving up “garbage yardage” in both the run (and short passing) game.

• Like 1

A lot of people were getting on Hooker because he hasn't been flashy this season, but when he got injured it left a gaping hole in our secondary and it's clear that it's not the same unit without him. 

Geathers is highly overrated IMO, we need a true SS to start next to Hooker. We also need some starting quality corners, Q Wilson might be a work in progress but thus far he has not shown me much.

Of course a better pash rush will make the whole unit a lot better. The biggest surprise this season has been our linebackers, i think we can check that box.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RollerColt said:

If I'm Eberflus, I'm planning to completely shut down the running game and force Bortles to make NFL throws. Then, start the blitzing. 

The key? Can we shut down the running game? I believe a certain big time running back is returning to face us... And it sounds like he will be the main centerpiece this weekend as the Jags try to survive with Bortles. 

We haven’t seen a terrible rush defense this year yet. Before, if we were down, the run game opened up big time for the opponent, but now I don’t see that. The effort is the difference as well as talented run defenders. 

We have to be sharp and stay away from the gimmee turnovers that lead to free points for the opposition.  I think we walk away with a W if we are sharp in just that one area alone.  Can't give a team whose offense is struggling any free points and momentum.

• Like 3

What kind of runner is Fournette?  The Colts don't seem to have trouble with big backs or even fast backs, they seem to have trouble with quick backs and backs that can cut back quickly and that does not seem like the type of runner LF nor Yeldon.  Hyde has some of that cut back ability but even he's not great at it.

in today's NFL the Colts still need to stop the passing game, so from a defensive standpoint, I'd focus less on stopping the running game and more on covering the area 8-15 yards in the passing game.  Force Bortles to either try to go deep (where he's not that accurate) or check down which will force the Jags to have long sustained drives and I don't think Bortles can do that consistently.  

Combine that with Bortles is one of the worst Redzone Qbs this year and the Colts are one of the better redzone defenses, I think this game will play out a lot like the Redskins game.  I think it will be a bit tougher because of the division rivalry but I think the Colts can score 24-31 on the Jax D and I think the Colts D can hold them to 10-17 points, 

• Like 3

Yes, there is a LOT of talent on this Jags defense, and they have got the #1 pass yards defense in the NFL...but lets get 1 thing straight, They've NOT made game changing plays at all this year..Indy has been better at game changing plays by far comparatively.

Jags                   Colts

Ints:                               4                          9

Forced Fumbles:         2                          9 

Fumble recoveries:    3                          7    

Sacks:                            19                        21

Also, Jags defense gives up an average of 4.2 YPC on the ground...And we KNOW what our RB's and O-line can do, so if we just pound the ball and Luck protects the football, we can move the ball and score plenty on this team.

39 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Yes, there is a LOT of talent on this Jags defense, and they have got the #1 pass yards defense in the NFL...but lets get 1 thing straight, They've NOT made game changing plays at all this year..Indy has been better at game changing plays by far comparatively.

Jags                   Colts

Ints:                               4                          9

Forced Fumbles:         2                          9 

Fumble recoveries:    3                          7    

Sacks:                            19                        21

Also, Jags defense gives up an average of 4.2 YPC on the ground...And we KNOW what our RB's and O-line can do, so if we just pound the ball and Luck protects the football, we can move the ball and score plenty on this team.

About your stats, how can the Jags have 2 forced fumbles and 3 fumble recoveries?

Was there a fumble in which someone just dropped the ball?

8 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

What kind of runner is Fournette?  The Colts don't seem to have trouble with big backs or even fast backs, they seem to have trouble with quick backs and backs that can cut back quickly and that does not seem like the type of runner LF nor Yeldon.  Hyde has some of that cut back ability but even he's not great at it.

in today's NFL the Colts still need to stop the passing game, so from a defensive standpoint, I'd focus less on stopping the running game and more on covering the area 8-15 yards in the passing game.  Force Bortles to either try to go deep (where he's not that accurate) or check down which will force the Jags to have long sustained drives and I don't think Bortles can do that consistently.  

Combine that with Bortles is one of the worst Redzone Qbs this year and the Colts are one of the better redzone defenses, I think this game will play out a lot like the Redskins game.  I think it will be a bit tougher because of the division rivalry but I think the Colts can score 24-31 on the Jax D and I think the Colts D can hold them to 10-17 points, 

Yeldon usually gives the Colts quite a bit of trouble though.   I ain't scared of Fournette.

20 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

YES........ agree 100%

He also is a regular "all star" on the IR list.......

5 hours ago, Savage56 said:

I really can't wait to see our Offensive Line vs their Defensive Front. Our guys will be tested that's for sure.

We’ve all seen “flashes” from Geathers as a playmaker. I’d be happy with him playing his best. Maybe the knee and the neck thing will hurt his chances to reach his ceiling but I wouldn’t give up on him yet. 

The Jags don't generate a lot of points when they have to go 75 yards. Forcing turnovers, short fields, & playing with a lead are keys for them. To that end, I think they'll pound it inside with a lot of cutback running, use every type of screen play they have to test the Colts tackling in space and take advantage of any over pursuit or hyper aggressiveness, and take some well disguised shots down the field.

Patience, especially early, is key for the Colts offense against a generally stout Jags defense. NO turnovers and remaining balanced in their approach will reveal their match-up advantages as the game moves along. The Colts defense must tackle well, play gap sound, and be mindful of the creative deceptions the Jags will attempt to create offense. The longer the game goes without self inflicted wounds, the more the advantage shifts to the Colts.

Special Teams needs Vinny to be Vinny,  and to be sound throughout to keep the Jags offense looking at long fields. 

Bottom line; the Jags will need the Colts to beat themselves with turnovers and undisciplined play. Absent of that, the Colts will go toe-to-toe, establish control, then bury them.

On 11/9/2018 at 7:23 PM, aaron11 said:

hes big and fast, and sometimes breaks off long runs

there arnt many close comparisons too him, hes like adrian peterson with less finesse 

he shouldn't be named in the same sentence as Adrian Peterson.

• Thanks 1

Our defense makes average QB's look like stars.  Very predictable now.  No press coverage to make them earn their completions or even thing they might see it once in awhile.  Hardly any blitzing and when it comes they telegraph it.  They converted a lot of 3rd. and longs today.  Way too many.  Bad coaching IMO. 

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Our defense makes average QB's look like stars.  Very predictable now.  No press coverage to make them earn their completions or even thing they might see it once in awhile.  Hardly any blitzing and when it comes they telegraph it.  They converted a lot of 3rd. and longs today.  Way too many.  Bad coaching IMO. 

Ya when dalton, Darnold, Carr, and Bortles all look like all-pro QBs we need to make changes. They started Erek Flowers at tackle and we couldn’t get any pressure all night. Same thing with the raiders. They have the worst LT in the league and we couldn’t do anything. 

10 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Yeah, he's a quicker guy for his size but his vision might just be a step above Richardson's. If he doesn't have a huge glaring hole, he's not hard to stop. 

he was good last year with teams selling out to stop him instead of BB.  had a great game in the playoffs too

injuries are hurting his career though, his college team ran him pretty hard