Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

should we keep Al Wood for next year?

I have been seeing that some think he will not be on the team next year, but I think he is a must keep. I know we have some young players and the draft for next year is heavy with DL but he is a solid and proven player that we cannot afford to lose.

and could Hunt be a DT instead of DE full time? I think these are two of the players that we should hang onto.

thoughts!!!

We need two big nose tackles.

We have Wood and Stewart.    Even if we think Stewart is ready to start, we’d still need Wood as the backup.    Unless we sign someone in FA to replace Wood.

I don’t see us using a draft pick on a big nose.   I see us using two high picks on a DE and DT who would be a quick penatrating 3-Tech. 

15 minutes ago, Savage56 said:

We have Tyquan Lewis and Denico Autry and I'm 100% sure Ballard will draft a DT high in the draft or sign one. Al Woods will not be a Colt in 2019.

For what it’s worth...

Lewis and Autry and Woods are all defensive tackles.  But they do NOT play the same position.

Woods is a Nose Tackle.

Autry and Lewis both play the 3-Tech.

Those positions are not interchangeable.   So the fact that we have Lewis and Autry and will likely draft another 3-Tech has no impact on whether or not we keep Woods.

You may be right.   Maybe we don’t keep Woods.   But it won’t be for the reasons you state.

Run down NTs tend to be more easily available nowadays than before in free agency, 3 down DTs that can move from NT to UT on passing downs with another smaller UT rotated in, or passing down DTs have become more valuable. So Al Woods' position should be of less concern to us, can be easily filled in with a late draft pick or FA pick up.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Sign Danny Shelton or Malcom Brown as NT.

I would expect Ballard will invest in a younger upgrade from Woods.

To me Shelton is a run stuffer only,  Hankins is similar but he did get some pressure.

Brown isn't showing much.

I would think Ballard will give Grady Jarrett a smell.