Sign in to follow this  
ThorstenDenmark

2019 biggest need for the Colts

I have lately been studying the various stats on players and teams in the NFL, and to me It's a bit surprising that of the last 5 Super Bowl Champions, only 1 team have had a pass rusher in the top 10, regarding sacks, which was Denver Broncos and Von Miller. 

Of course it helps to have a sack machine, no one can argue against that, but those teams who have had a better secondary and players with 6+ int´s during a season, have been more succesful than teams with sacks. 

I know im no expert, and that some, or a lot of people have more insight than me, so don't judge me to hard on this post. And I know that turnovers is better than sacks, but when it comes to the Indianapolis Colts biggest need, from my perspective come draft time, then I would go for a stout CB, rather than a pass rusher. 

The upcoming draft in 2019, seems to be loaded with defensive playmakers, mainly DE's, DT's and LB's, but only a few 1 round CB's seems to be rated as playmakers. 

So should the colts be in a position due to a high draft pick, in the top 10-15 range, which seems to be the case as of right now, I would take the best CB available, rather than a DT or DE. 

Again, I'm no expert, but what is your take on this?

Go Colts  

A good pass rush makes the secondary look better, especially in a 4-3 zone based D.  But i do agree we need a couple of good CBs on D.  I also think we need a couple of legit WRs. I know that Cain looked good in the preseason, but i dont want to bank on him being the answer, since he is a rookie who will be coming off of a serious knee injury.

This draft is supposed to be loaded at DT and DE, and also not a bad draft at WR. Between free agency and the draft, we could add enough to this team to make a huge impact, as long as we hit on the players we sign/draft.

We arent as far away from being contenders as most people seem to think, in my honest opinion. And while i DO think that having a good D is important... look at the Rams, for example... they have one of if not the best D in the NFL, yet they still have to win their games by having a shootout a lot of the time.

• Like 2

The rules in today's NFL favor offense in a big way, so adding the skill players around Luck to have a top offense, will likely get us farther than putting all of our money into the D.  With that said, i do think we need to add more pieces on D, obviously.  But look at the Rams vs Saints game from last week, for example... the best offense won, and neither D held the other back all that much.

• Like 2

A good D can help beat the 22 or so teams that are mediocre each season.

But you have to be able to score in the mid to upper 30's every playoff game to keep winning.

And the pass rush is being neutered by quick throws against the best quarterbacks/ teams.

But we must strengthen our front 7 and add quality CB's that can also man cover well.

• Like 1

Defensive line.

Defensive ends and defensive tackles.

Ballatd wants 10 quality DL on his 53-man roster.    8 of them on the game day 46 man roster.

Defensive line is the priority.

With our 4 early picks, I want us to take a CB, a WR, and a 3-tech DT in no particular order, with the other pick either being another CB or a EDGE. I feel like this would solidify our defense a ton and round out the offense. I think this draft needs to be Defense-centric, with just a couple offensive picks spent on a WR and another offensive lineman to keep the young depth. I could also see Ballard going after a stud SS though if one becomes available either via draft or FA. Linebacker is a need, but it isn't huge seeing as how this defense is normally in a 4-1-6 or a 4-2-5 look, so Leonard is the man there, but if we could get a linebacker who is a stud in pass defense late in the draft, the group would be good to go.

• Like 2

If we dont draft a CB high, could we make a run in FA for Ronald Darby or Bryce Callahan? both young UFA players. Or is there another CB you would like instead?

• Like 1

CB I think would be the position of most need.  However the depth at defensive line in the draft may make taking a talented DL too attractive to turn down.  

DL

You add some real talent at DT and it changes everything. More interior pressure will free up the DE’s and the LBs to make more plays. And more pass rush will make the CBs look better.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

DL

You add some real talent at DT and it changes everything. More interior pressure will free up the DE’s and the LBs to make more plays. And more pass rush will make the CBs look better.

I believe with what Jihad Ward showed us, before he got hurt, and the pool of DL players coming out next year, we could have a very talented and young group of guys for a long time. We really haven't had a consistent interior pass rush since Ward went down. I think that kid has the makings of a great player.

I'd also like to see the talent on the outside get upgraded as well. We HAVE to be able to mix coverages on the fly, between zone and man, to stay effective against the better offensive teams. Right now we just don't have the talent for that. Quincy Wilson is a good start, but I'm still confused as to how Kenny Moore keeps getting more playing time than him. 

15 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

I believe with what Jihad Ward showed us, before he got hurt, and the pool of DL players coming out next year, we could have a very talented and young group of guys for a long time. We really haven't had a consistent interior pass rush since Ward went down. I think that kid has the makings of a great player.

I'd also like to see the talent on the outside get upgraded as well. We HAVE to be able to mix coverages on the fly, between zone and man, to stay effective against the better offensive teams. Right now we just don't have the talent for that. Quincy Wilson is a good start, but I'm still confused as to how Kenny Moore keeps getting more playing time than him

Because according to most analysis pundits, Moore has been our best DB.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

DL

We have yet to see how Lewis plays. But agree.  If the DL group is as deep as it is, we need to tap into it.  But when the Colts # is up, And his top rated player that still available is a WR, or a CB, does he take a DL that he has rated 5+ spots lower instead. I don't think so.

13 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Because according to most analysis pundits, Moore has been our best DB.

Scary... the guy is a huge liability when he's on the field. Those "pundits" can't be watching the same game I am. 

55 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Scary... the guy is a huge liability when he's on the field. Those "pundits" can't be watching the same game I am. 

check this video. It's Stampede Blue doing a breakdown of PFF's grades on our starters. (on the live stream chat, I'm on my wife's acct Kimmie K, first post at 26:50) jump to 24 minute mark and he talks about the corners, specifically Moore.

Needs:

1.CB-Draft & Free Agents.

Not a fan of Desir, Moore,  & Milton if we are striving for a championship. Wish Wilson could show us more. Id look at Darby if the price is right.

2. Pass Rush- Free Agent

Sheard will be gone soon(I know he has one more year with us) With Turay as a future force hopefully we need a pure proven pass rusher to lead this group..Pay them, Lawrence or Clowney.

3. DL- Draft & Possibly bring a guy or two back

Between Hunt, Ward id resign to a rotational type of role

4. WR-Draft & Free Agents

Only 1 or 2 guys id go after if available in FA & that's Flash Gordon & Hogan. Cain is coming back & I let Grant, Rogers, Pascal walk. Bring back Johnson, maybe Inman. Ishmael back to PS.

5. Resign Vinny, Swoope, Travis, Farley, Gownski