Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Good Glowinski Breakdown

krunk

The starting 5 are looking pretty solid right now.  Really impressed with the way Glowinski and Smith are playing.  These 5 are really becoming a single unit and playing very well together.

Been waiting to see this for many years!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Odd to think that he may be the biggest priority re-sign of the offseason but he's been just that steady. Still upgrade the depth though.

While we can always upgrade the depth, we aren't bad off there at all right now.  When guys like Clark, Haeg, Goode, and even Webb when he is back are in their proper (read backup) roles rather than starting, we are in a pretty solid place all around.

He's got an aggressiveness about the way he blocks that I like.  And he seems to be in control of himself in terms of his footwork and hand placement.  A lot more refined than some of the other clowns we've had in that spot.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ztboiler said:

With his limited body of work, seems more likely that Ballard would wait on the market. 

He also had 19 starts in Seattle, and I'm guessing the Seattle guys in the front office were high on him.  

If continues to play well for the next month or so, it might be a good idea to lock him up.  It could be a win-win for Glowinski and the team. 

1 hour ago, #12. said:

He also had 19 starts in Seattle, and I'm guessing the Seattle guys in the front office were high on him.  

If continues to play well for the next month or so, it might be a good idea to lock him up.  It could be a win-win for Glowinski and the team. 

I don’t think I can connect your dots.  19 starts on a poor line....benched then waived late in season, yet the Seattle guys were high on him?

We claim him, he fills a reserve role.  Now he’s started a few games on a line full of high picks that is gelling....that’s not a guy who is candidate for extension.  That’s the description of a guy you want to see more from.  I don’t think that the kind of extension Ballard would offer as of today is the kind that he would accept...maybe in January 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

I don’t think I can connect your dots.  19 starts on a poor line....benched then waived late in season, yet the Seattle guys were high on him? 

This is the point:  people currently working in our front office are possibly the same people who scouted and supported taking Glowinski in the 4th, the same people who recommended claiming him off waivers, the people who now feel vindicated that he's playing well.  There's a background here that goes beyond the few games he has started for the Colts.

Glowinski is young, a former 4th rounder with starter's experience.  Whether it's soon or in the offseason, I would absolutely extend him.  If he keeps playing well, to me, it's a no brainer.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, #12. said:

This is the point:  people currently working in our front office are possibly the same people who scouted and supported taking Glowinski in the 4th, the same people who recommended claiming him off waivers, the people who now feel vindicated that he's playing well.  There's a background here that goes beyond the few games he has started for the Colts.

Glowinski is young, a former 4th rounder with starter's experience.  Whether it's soon or in the offseason, I would absolutely extend him.  If he keeps playing well, to me, it's a no brainer.

Ahh ... OK our Seattle guys.  That makes a bit more sense.  Sorry I missed your meaning the first time...good point.

That might have helped bring him here but market forces are still in the Colts favor to wait to resign him...

1 hour ago, #12. said:

Very good post!

Thanks for making it!

Love Glowinski!       Glad Seattle gave up on him and we claimed him!

8 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

If Glow wants too much $, do we move Smith in to G and draft a T , or leave him at T and add a G , or maybe Slaussen is back?

We have options.

How much is too much for a non-weak link on an O-line? Really.  At this point paying a little over value is worth way more than not paying and ending up with another Vuj, J. Harrison, or Heag, (who isn't strong enough to play guard consistently).  And as the article says, Glowinski is mobil. Slauson isn't. But i do like Slauson,...he and Nelson I think initiated this nasty streak for the O-line.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, #12. said:

I would give him a careful extension and not invest too much guaranteed money in him.  

Beware of the player who suddenly plays great during a contract year.  

20 hours ago, bigt said:

PFF has Colts line ranked 6 after 9 weeks.  Time to start working on the Dline.

The only thing is, we can’t always accept info from So and So and take that as a matter of fact. PFF has the Colts drafting Josh Jackson with the 6th pick instead of QNelson. J Jackson was not drafted in the first round at all, let alone 6th overall.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

How much is too much for a non-weak link on an O-line? Really.  At this point paying a little over value is worth way more than not paying and ending up with another Vuj, J. Harrison, or Heag, (who isn't strong enough to play guard consistently).  And as the article says, Glowinski is mobil. Slauson isn't. But i do like Slauson,...he and Nelson I think initiated this nasty streak for the O-line.

If Glow continues playing at this level what might a team offer him?
I would say easily 4yrs $20M. We will see.

Isn't this the whole point? Investing a huge amount into the OL so that you can plug a guy like Glowinski in and get good production. Well it didn't take too long to find one. But now that they have...why would you start that process over. If it's not broke, don't fix it. 

I think re-signing him is a no-brainer. It makes football sense...and it makes sense off the field. You compete, win the job, perform well...you will get taken care of.

The Colts have a boatload of money to spend and really no current players to spend it on. Give Glowinski a two-year deal. Lets him hit FA again in two years...after being part of this OL.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

If Glow wants too much $, do we move Smith in to G and draft a T , or leave him at T and add a G , or maybe Slaussen is back?

We have options.

Even without Slauson back, we have Joe Haeg, Le'Raven Clark and Denzelle Good (and potentially J'Marcus Webb).  I'm really liking what Glowinski's been doing, but if he's demanding a lot of dollars, you would hope Haeg, Clark or Good have developed enough to be able to play either RG or RT and allow for Braden Smith to continue to excel at the other.  Or, perhaps, J'Marcus Webb or Slauson will be healthy enough.

Haeg's big knock coming out of school was his lack of strength, but he's addressed that and seems versatile enough to play well (probably not great) anywhere on this OL.  

Good's knock was he was from such a small school and still very raw.  He seems to have all the physical traits and as our coaching staff improves along with the talent around him, I still have some hope he can play in this league.

Clark's knock was he played at Texas Tech who doesn't require their linemen to play pro-style.  Here's from his NFL.com scouting report: "He's going to end up being big time in our league. He's got elite foot quickness, he's long and he's smart. He'll keep getting better once he gets to a pro offense and away from that stuff Texas Tech does and he'll become one of the top five tackles in our league." -- NFC personnel director

Long-story short....  

I think Glowinski is doing a fine job, but don't think he's an elite OL by any means.  Often times, however, you see guys have a good season and demand elite money (and plenty of teams will be spending, probably overspending $ to boost their OL this offseason).  If Glowinski demands elite money, I think we're probably just fine with what we have in house.

2 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Even without Slauson back, we have Joe Haeg, Le'Raven Clark and Denzelle Good (and potentially J'Marcus Webb).  I'm really liking what Glowinski's been doing, but if he's demanding a lot of dollars, you would hope Haeg, Clark or Good have developed enough to be able to play either RG or RT and allow for Braden Smith to continue to excel at the other.  Or, perhaps, J'Marcus Webb or Slauson will be healthy enough.

Haeg's big knock coming out of school was his lack of strength, but he's addressed that and seems versatile enough to play well (probably not great) anywhere on this OL.  

Good's knock was he was from such a small school and still very raw.  He seems to have all the physical traits and as our coaching staff improves along with the talent around him, I still have some hope he can play in this league.

Clark's knock was he played at Texas Tech who doesn't require their linemen to play pro-style.  Here's from his NFL.com scouting report: "He's going to end up being big time in our league. He's got elite foot quickness, he's long and he's smart. He'll keep getting better once he gets to a pro offense and away from that stuff Texas Tech does and he'll become one of the top five tackles in our league." -- NFC personnel director

Long-story short....  

I think Glowinski is doing a fine job, but don't think he's an elite OL by any means.  Often times, however, you see guys have a good season and demand elite money (and plenty of teams will be spending, probably overspending $ to boost their OL this offseason).  If Glowinski demands elite money, I think we're probably just fine with what we have in house.

I like what he’s doing but if he wants too much money Haig could easily play guard or tackle moving Smith to guard and IMO the line wouldn’t miss a beat!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Often times, however, you see guys have a good season and demand elite money (and plenty of teams will be spending, probably overspending $ to boost their OL this offseason).  If Glowinski demands elite money, I think we're probably just fine with what we have in house

Would be a good Comp pick.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Long-story short....  

I don't think you read the story or get the nuance of it or you wouldn't be bothering with the elite bla bla bla.
 And Haeg has had three years to add weight/strength and failed. He is and looks to remain a weakling.
 And Good has never gotten into shape weighing at least 20lbs too much.
 He is as good as gone.

Neither can execute the offense the way Reich therefore Ballard expect.

Yet Glowinski has almost ideal ht, weight, strength, and just enough foot speed to do a good job in all facets. JMO of course.

26 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I don't think you read the story or get the nuance of it or you wouldn't be bothering with the elite bla bla bla.
 And Haeg has had three years to add weight/strength and failed. He is and looks to remain a weakling.
 And Good has never gotten into shape weighing at least 20lbs too much.
 He is as good as gone.

Neither can execute the offense the way Reich therefore Ballard expect.

Yet Glowinski has almost ideal ht, weight, strength, and just enough foot speed to do a good job in all facets. JMO of course.

Haeg has gotten stronger each year.  I really don't think that's much of an issue anymore.... if Good was a good as gone, he wouldn't have made the roster this year... Clark seems to have the most upside out of the 3 and would be ideal if he could adjust to the NFL as a RT and move Smith inside.

I'm not really sure what you mean by 'elite bla bla bla...'  If Glowinski is going to be looking for top dollar after having his first good/above average season in 4 years, we have guys in house that likely can perform at a very similar level without breaking the bank.

6 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

If Glow continues playing at this level what might a team offer him?
I would say easily 4yrs $20M. We will see.

When you consider Tamp Bay gave Ryan Jensen 42 mill over 4 years with 22 mill guaranteed , I think it would top that. There is just so much money in free agency for teams to spend. But the key is "if he continues playing at this level." 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

The only thing is, we can’t always accept info from So and So and take that as a matter of fact. PFF has the Colts drafting Josh Jackson with the 6th pick instead of QNelson. J Jackson was not drafted in the first round at all, let alone 6th overall.

You've made this argument a number of times trying to discredit PFF...    You like to point out that they projected the Colts to draft Josh Jackson who didn’t even get picked on the first.   Therefore we should never ever pay attention to what they say ever again.

Here’s the problem with that argument...    no media outlet bats 1,000.   Nobody is perfect on these..

Even people in the Hall of Fame made draft mistakes.   Happens all the time.  In all sports.

Here’s one tidbit for you to consider...  this year,  THIS WEBSITE that we all enjoy and post on, are now using PFF grades and stats in their weekly stories. So if PFF is good enough for the Indianapolis Colts,  the team you like,  you might want to consider giving them a little more credit than you currently do — which appears to be none. 

Just some food for thought...

50 minutes ago, dw49 said:

When you consider Tamp Bay gave Ryan Jensen 42 mill over 4 years with 22 mill guaranteed , I think it would top that. There is just so much money in free agency for teams to spend. But the key is "if he continues playing at this level." 

Ryan Jensen has graded out highly for several seasons.

Mark Glowinski has less than a half a season of very good playing.   What, maybe 4-5 games for us?    He’s not going to deman “elite” money.   Even if he does great for the rest of this season, I seriously doubt he’ll command elite money.

He’ll get a good contract.   Maybe a very good contract.   And I’d expect Ballard to be the GM to sign him.  I’d be hugely disappointed if we didn’t.

I think anyone here in this thread who thinks Mark Glowinski is just an interchangeable part...   a guy who can be easily replaced by Haeg or Good or someone else is kidding themselves.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the O-lines improvement skyrocketed when AC got healthy and Glowinski was made a starter.

This thread went from good to bad in almost no time flat.   All over the  currently non-existent issue of money.

Crazy talk....    (Sigh....).     :peek: