Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Raiders

Myles

People keep giving the Raiders and Gruden grief for getting rid of players.   I think it is genius.   They are moving to Vegas where they will be loved from the start.  They were 6-10 last season.  Why keep the same team intact?  Now they have a plethora of draft picks, including 3 1st rounders.   They can build in Vegas and will be very exciting. 

• Like 1

Remember when Carr was supposed to be the next big thing? That team is way worse than last year's Browns and may be one of the worst teams I have seen in a very long time. It's not making me feel much better about the Colts though. No excuse to struggle with that team for 3 quarters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Raiders allowed a 3rd stringer to look like a god out there tonight. Their defense... and their offensive line... Just wow. 

Its amazing Carr wasn’t destroyed.

The Raiders have lots of picks, but the serious question: 

How is Gruden at drafting talent? I would guess fairly decent due to his ESPN days? 

Just now, esmort said:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Either the Raiders are tanking or Jon Gruden is the worst coach in the NFL.</p>&mdash; Matt Miller (@nfldraftscout) <a href="https://twitter.com/nfldraftscout/status/1058180201136447489?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 2, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Gruden can't be that bad. They tanking.

Gruden wasn't a bad coach. Neither was Ditka. They just weren't meant to come back. 

The NFL Network really does update their lists if you've never noticed lol! And I *think* the draft busts list already includes a group of picks (all the wasted draft picks in the Redskin's Ricky Williams trade).

I know most are thinking Gruden with all those draft picks is going to build a great team.

IMO he is setting the Raiders up to be the next Browns. The one thing that is forgotten and that is will players buy into what Gruden is selling? Can Gruden have a locker room that even cares for him? The past has shown that players don't like him. He is not trusted by players. Everywhere he has been it ended up in shambles if not he left before it did.  There was a reason the Raiders traded him in the first place. Just how many head coaches has ever been traded?

Players as far back as San Francisco has hated either playing for him or just hated being around him.

Now he has total control for 10 years?  Wow, a whole new meaning to the black hole.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RollerColt said:

The Raiders allowed a 3rd stringer to look like a god out there tonight. Their defense... and their offensive line... Just wow. 

Its amazing Carr wasn’t destroyed.

The Raiders have lots of picks, but the serious question: 

How is Gruden at drafting talent? I would guess fairly decent due to his ESPN days? 

He thought manziel should have been drafted number 1 overall

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To be fair Mack didn’t want to be there so they made the best out of a bad situation. If Gruden hits home runs with those extra picks then everyone will say he’s a genius. What if he gets the #1 pick and trades back a few spots for another 1st then drafts Bosa and Oliver. He’d still have another 1st and 3 more next year. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

To be fair Mack didn’t want to be there so they made the best out of a bad situation. If Gruden hits home runs with those extra picks then everyone will say he’s a genius. What if he gets the #1 pick and trades back a few spots for another 1st then drafts Bosa and Oliver. He’d still have another 1st and 3 more next year. 

Why didn't Mack want to be there? 

6 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

He thought manziel should have been drafted number 1 overall

Thanks, I seriously never tracked him or his opinions much during his stint at ESPN. The only time my ears perked up were when he talked about Luck or our Colts.

That pretty much sums up his judgement then... 

Good luck Raiders!

I disagree with the OP that this is a brilliant move.  But I do agree that this appears to be in sync with the Raiders' M.O.  They seem to be more interested in the building process than in winning games.  The prime example of this was when they let go of a young, promising running back in Latavius Murray in favor of Marshawn Lynch, who had retired.  Why?  Murray just scored 12 touchdowns for you.  The year before, he was a thousand yard runner.  Did you not believe that the kid could develop?  Did you only want to maximize his "value" by trading him away for more than you paid for him?  Did you want to hope to recreate the "beast mode" phenomenon for one more year during a S.B. run?  Or did you just not want to pay a 6th round pick starter money?  A year and a half later, Lynch is limping along, getting injured, a shadow of what he used to be.  While Murray carries the ball in Minnesota, sharing time with Dalvin Cook.  In the light of this, I'm not surprised they traded Mack away for draft picks.  He's a game changing, elite player.  But you're gonna have to pay him like one.  No thanks, you say?  Ok.  How many times are you going to keep doing this?  Playing a "value" game with your players, continually Building when you could be Winning?

I just have a hard time agreeing with the mindset that not being able to win a game but being in possession of three 1st round picks is considered a victory.

23 minutes ago, King Colt said:

What goes up must come down but they sank facing an undrafted rookie that lit them up in every way. Odd how Gruden seemed to be smiling the entire game. No SF QB ever did what that rookie did last night. 

Maybe Gruden was thinking about his 100 million dollar paycheck. That could make anyone smile. Mullins looked like a HOF quarterback last night. It will be interesting to see how he does against better teams. 

31 minutes ago, teganslaw said:

Mullins looked like a HOF quarterback last night. It will be interesting to see how he does against better teams. 

I agree.   Small sample size, but my thoughts on him are:

He looked calm and cool.   

He had good zip on the ball and was pretty accurate.   

He moved around pretty good.  

When I was watching the game, I was thinking that he might make Brissetts value go down.   Of course he would have to duplicate his performance several times this season.  

11 minutes ago, Myles said:

I agree.   Small sample size, but my thoughts on him are:

He looked calm and cool.   

He had good zip on the ball and was pretty accurate.   

He moved around pretty good.  

When I was watching the game, I was thinking that he might make Brissetts value go down.   Of course he would have to duplicate his performance several times this season.  

Regarding trading backup QBs, you strike when the iron is hot. Chiefs got rid of Alex Smith who is barely passing for 200 yards a game. That time has passed for Brissett. He is not worth anymore than a 3rd rounder to me and is worth more as a back up to the Colts than a possible 3rd rounder, if one comes Ballard's way. 

• Like 1

On 11/1/2018 at 10:55 PM, Boiler_Colt said:

Remember when Carr was supposed to be the next big thing? That team is way worse than last year's Browns and may be one of the worst teams I have seen in a very long time. It's not making me feel much better about the Colts though. No excuse to struggle with that team for 3 quarters.

That's what I was thinking... We destroyed the bills and raiders :facepalm:. That Thursday game made me feel terrible..

I'm just hoping momentum and confidence will help us in the 2nd half.

Howie Long's interview with Gruden this Sunday showed Gruden is locked in  the old Raiders mystique as he stated, "only players that want to wear the silver and black and I mean want to wear the silver and black will be Raiders." He is living in the past because players loyalty now is to the green and all else is secondary.