Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Quenton Nelson is the first guard in NFL history to win Offensive Rookie of the Month recognition

stitches

This 2018 Colts draft may rival some of those 70s Steeler drafts. Possible multiple hall of famers if things fall right. I've never seen a class like this from top to bottom by the Colts before. Even Lewis and Cain have an injury excuse right now and haven't not been good because of performance. Fountain will get called up from the practice squad soon. There's literally potential to hit on all 11 picks in some way. Absolutely incredible. TY Ballard for taking Nelson at 6.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

But but but taking a guard at the sixth pick is wrong.....alot of crow will be served this season

Once we traded down and got the extra picks, that never crossed my mind.  Maybe you don't take him at #3, but it's not just Nelson, it's Nelson, Smith, Turay, Wilkins and 2019 2nd.  

Also, in the upcoming years, position importance/value may have to be reexamined.  If you can't touch the QB and offenses are playing more and more of a college game, pass rushers will lose value.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Im concerned about Ballards hit rate regarding future draft picks, because if he keeps hitting bullseye, we will be in capspace hell in 5-6 years :lol:

Because all of these players might want to see big paychecks down the road, and if he keeps hitting it out of the park, we cant pay them all.

But Id rather he keeps hitting jackpots in the draft than not.

Ballard made note of this.  Said that's why he's keeping the cap space healthy.  When the time comes to spend, he'd rather pay big money to keep our guys than signing other teams guys.  Of course that only works if you hit on you draft picks, which he has so far. 

I think some fans should keep that in mind everytime Ballard passes on a big name FA. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, csmopar said:

And who do you suggest that to have been?  DJ Moore was the highest WR taken in the draft, hes got 18 receptions and 171 yards, playing in 7 games.  That would put him 7th in stats on the COLTS pass catchers. Just above Jack Doyle, who's played in just 3 games.

outside of Barkley at RB, there was no other RB taken in the first round and outside of barkely, none are really performing

Lol, I knew someone wouldn't read my sarcasm. Good post though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

And since no one has mentioned this.  a reminder,  that Darius Leonard was the Defensive Rookie of the Month for September!

Back to back winners in October and November!

Pretty sweet!!              :thmup:

To take it even further, last year the Saints had both the OROY and DROY.  Could the Colts be next?  Stay tuned.....

EDIT:  Although I think it's going to be VERY difficult for Nelson at guard to win it over guys like Barkley and Ridley who are stat stuffers.

• Like 1

Guard at ROTM?...The rest of the offensive rookies in the NFL must've been garbage....lol

Kidding aside, anyone realizing how many accolades our team has gotten and we're 3-5? 

Offensive rookie of the month, Defensive rookie of the month, Special teams player of the week, Offensive line of the week X's 2, RB of the week, Defensive player of the week, And we have someone in the running for both Rb of the week, AND rookie of the week this week.

13 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Where is that “Ballard is not impressing me” guy at now?

Not only that, but Darius Leonard is basically a rookie defensive player of the year, had he not missed a game. Ballard has scored huge victories on both sides of the ball.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

Aren't we all getting a little bit too excited by this?

If you're picking at 6 and take the 4th offensive player in the draft shouldn't you actually EXPECT them to win awards like this at some time or another? 

After the way the Colts have looked before this season what do you expect?  We finally have something to be excited about and you say we are getting too excited? 

Go away with your boring self.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

If you're picking at 6 and take the 4th offensive player in the draft shouldn't you actually EXPECT them to win awards like this at some time or another? 

I think people are excited by it because it is the first time ever that OG has won the award.  I admit it surprised me, usually it is a so called skill position, RB, WR or QB, player that wins it.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Im concerned about Ballards hit rate regarding future draft picks, because if he keeps hitting bullseye, we will be in capspace hell in 5-6 years :lol:

Because all of these players might want to see big paychecks down the road, and if he keeps hitting it out of the park, we cant pay them all.

But Id rather he keeps hitting jackpots in the draft than not.

Ballard mentioned this in the interview posted on the page.  This is why you have to build the foundation first before bringing in huge contracts.  You won't be able to retain any of your talent.  

7 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

Reasons why we're excited.

1. We have a player of the month.

2. That player of the month is a rookie

3. That rookie is the first at his position to do so

4. That rookie has been doubted as "generational player" and many people on this forum have said it was the wrong pick which led to MANY debates.  So this in a nutshell backs up the Pro-Nelson crowd.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smittywerb said:

Reasons why we're excited.

1. We have a player of the month.

2. That player of the month is a rookie

3. That rookie is the first at his position to do so

4. That rookie has been doubted as "generational player" and many people on this forum have said it was the wrong pick which led to MANY debates.  So this in a nutshell backs up the Pro-Nelson crowd.

I'm excited about a player of the month but given where he was selected surely it was an expectation rather than something to celebrate. If we selected any player at 6 and he didn't win an award such as this during a 16 week season I'd actually have been disappointed.

As for number 4, I'm not sure he was ever doubted that he was ever an excellent players. Simply whether having an excellent left guard had a significant impact in creating a contending team. 

6 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

I'm excited about a player of the month but given where he was selected surely it was an expectation rather than something to celebrate. If we selected any player at 6 and he didn't win an award such as this during a 16 week season I'd actually have been disappointed.

As for number 4, I'm not sure he was ever doubted that he was ever an excellent players. Simply whether having an excellent left guard had a significant impact in creating a contending team. 

Well you should be excited because he's the first to do something as a rookie which means he's pretty damn good.  

And yes, he has been.  On this forum people have said he's not performing to where he was selected.  Even seen some say we could've traded back and grabbed a guard later.

8 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

First time it has EVER been done and you poopoo it. What an _____!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, smittywerb said:

Well you should be excited because he's the first to do something as a rookie which means he's pretty damn good.  

And yes, he has been.  On this forum people have said he's not performing to where he was selected.  Even seen some say we could've traded back and grabbed a guard later.

We could have traded back and got a guard later, that's a fact,  whether he'd have been as good or contribute as much to a team's record is subjective.

Of course he's pretty good. Never in doubt was it. Maybe I'm naive but I don't see the big deal about him being the first? I've never even paid any attention to these awards before so I didn't realise they were something we needed to keep an eye on.

3 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

First time it has EVER been done and you poopoo it. What an _____!

Easy tiger. I haven't "poopooed" anything. Just trying to figure out whether a player selected 6 being described as the most effective player in any given week should be an expectation or a cause for celebration. 

As for being the first at his position.  Genuinely don't see why it matters. 

2 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

Easy tiger. I haven't "poopooed" anything. Just trying to figure out whether a player selected 6 being described as the most effective player in any given week should be an expectation or a cause for celebration. 

As for being the first at his position.  Genuinely don't see why it matters. 

If you don't understand Colts fans being excited then no explanation would make you see it anyway. So stay yourself.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Nobody did but 90% of people said picking a Guard at #6 was dumb. Read between the lines. 

But how does this award prove that thought wrong?   

My personal opinion is that if we could've had a WR earn that award, we probably would have won more games this month.  Not that one was available at 6 this year, but maybe you don't see the point.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

But how does this award prove that thought wrong?   

My personal opinion is that if we could've had a WR earn that award, we probably would have won more games this month.  Not that one was available at 6 this year, but maybe you don't see the point.

I doubt a wr would be winning that award with the rate Luck was getting sacked. Hence why you build from the lines out. The award just shows he's doing exactly what we drafted him to do. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I doubt a wr would be winning that award with the rate Luck was getting sacked. Hence why you build from the lines out. The award just shows he's doing exactly what we drafted him to do. 

But he was getting pressured heavily and was struggling more until AC came back, so I don't see where Nelson's award winning performance contributed much to the W-L column.  JMO.

Remember the "whats wrong with Andrew" comments earlier in the year?

Look, good job to him.  Congrats.  And leave it at that.

But some of the comments have embedded unprovoked sarcastic criticisms.  Don't blame me.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

But he was getting pressured heavily and was struggling more until AC came back, so I don't see where Nelson's award winning performance contributed much to the W-L column.  JMO.

Remember the "whats wrong with Andrew" comments earlier in the year?

Look, good job to him.  Congrats.  And leave it at that.

But some of the comments have embedded unprovoked sarcastic criticisms.  Don't blame me.  

So your telling me that by drafting Roquan Smith, Derwin James, or whoever the colts would have more wins? Highly unlikely. What he's trying to say is that Nelson was a great pick that has made the whole offensive line better. Zero sacks in last three games and back to back 100 yard rushing games from Mack. Oh but Nelson has nothing to do with this? We've had castonzo for years now and just maybe Q is helping AC up his game. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2