Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

braveheartcolt

Penalties

Normally a half glass full type, but I don't see much being said about our lack of discipline. Most defensive yards given away, and 4th most on offense. And probably most combined (no time to add them up). We have played one more game than some, so we might be slightly better if we pro rata them, but still bad. We have also played 5 on the road, so that might be a factor, but I'm just looking for excuses. 

Is it the inexperience of youth, or do our coaches need to get their proverbial finger out? My knowledge doesn't go deep enough to have a theory of my own, sorry. Still 1st in offensive 3rd down completions mind you, to end on a positive.

Oh yeah, we've had killer penalties in 2018 - Bengals, Eagles, Jets.  

Luckily, we overcame them yesterday.  Hit some big plays on 1st and 20 and got lucky with the deflection.

That’s another thing I expected coming into this season. This is a young team that’s showing lots of growth, but at the same time, is making tons mistakes, ones that you’re hoping they can clean up with time.

I think some of it is youth and some of it is trying too hard.  I am sure we are 2nd in the league on rookie snaps (only behind the Browns) and, with that, comes inexperience and trying to force things to happen.

Although I would say some of the penalties on Sunday were a joke, particularly holding calls against us on Nelson and Kelly.  No idea what the refs saw there.

1 hour ago, DaveA1102 said:

I think some of it is youth and some of it is trying too hard.  I am sure we are 2nd in the league on rookie snaps (only behind the Browns) and, with that, comes inexperience and trying to force things to happen.

Although I would say some of the penalties on Sunday were a joke, particularly holding calls against us on Nelson and Kelly.  No idea what the refs saw there.

Oh yes, the phantom hold penalties. 

24 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Oh yes, the phantom hold penalties. 

Refs were quite capable of missing all kinds of penalties on the Pats last night but that’s the norm for their team. 

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

Refs were quite capable of missing all kinds of penalties on the Pats last night but that’s the norm for their team. 

I didn't watch the game last night but I sure believe you.

The thing about Nelson is he blocks a defender down and gets a holding call on him. The refs just assume it must be holding and throw the yellow.

10 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

Do pancakes lead to penalties now?

38 minutes ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Do pancakes lead to penalties now?

How was that a holding on Nelson? The replay looked like Nelson pancaked his guy. 

Inexperience.  When I watch this team, I don't say to myself "This is an undisciplined."  This team is well coached.  As said before, the problem with this team is execution and that is mostly due to our youth and lack of talent.