Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ty Montgomery defied coaches and the team paid for it yesterday

chad72

He made a mistake like we all do. It's not that big a deal. It is comments like those here that fuel nutcases to make death threats, as Montgomery is now receiving.. 

Quote:

People are sending message to my wife, people are making comments on posts about my son. I'm getting phone calls, people offering their houses to stay [at] because apparently people are making threats online," he said. "I'm thoroughly * off at the state of humanity right now.  Link

Rodgers should show some leadership and support his teammate like Tramon Williams is doing. JMO

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

He made a mistake like we all do. It's not that big a deal. It is comments like those here that fuel nutcases to make death threats, as Montgomery is now receiving.. 

Quote:

People are sending message to my wife, people are making comments on posts about my son. I'm getting phone calls, people offering their houses to stay [at] because apparently people are making threats online," he said. "I'm thoroughly * off at the state of humanity right now.  Link

Rodgers should show some leadership and support his teammate like Tramon William's is doing. JMO

It may not be a big deal to you but when you disregard what your coaches tell you it is a big deal.

As far as the threats fandom does make some over the top but all that would have been avoided had he done what he was told to do. JMO.

• Thanks 1

"The plan there is to stay in the end zone, but that's what those games come down to. There's decisions and Ty's in that decision situation, and I'm sure Ty was trying to make a play."

From  https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/10/29/packers-notes-coach-mike-mccarthy-defends-locker-room-unity/1814062002/

Cornerback Tramon Williams, one of the team’s leaders, said the players who spoke out shouldn’t have hid behind anonymity and were wrong to question Montgomery’s motivations. Williams made it clear that he supported Montgomery even if others didn’t.

“They were anonymous,” Williams said. “We’ll never know (who) and we’re not going to worry about it. We’re going to continue building as a team and feel like we’re getting better as a team and the only thing we can do now is move on to New England.

“That’s going to be a tough task by itself, so we can’t worry about it.”

This is the fourth incident in which a player has expressed dissatisfaction publicly and it might only get worse if the team falls apart in the remaining portion of a brutal five-game stretch. The other three were quarterback Aaron Rodgers creating waves when he back-handedly criticized McCarthy for his play calling, safety Josh Jones complaining that he wasn’t playing enough and safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix declaring he wouldn’t be with the team next season based on how little interest it has shown in extending his contract.

This may keep the Pack from contending for the SB.

I heard Charlie Weiss this morning and he feels McCArthy  would have stated it different if it was 'his' order to kneel that was defied.  So we do not know if it was the ST coach order, or just an understanding (if not an order) by all to down it and let Rodgers go from the 25.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

As far as the threats fandom does make some over the top but all that would have been avoided had he done what he was told to do. JMO.

You seem to be condoning death threats. :facepalm:  No mistake/decision made on a field can justify another person making death threats. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

You seem to be condoning death threats. :facepalm:  No mistake/decision made on a field can justify another person making death threats. 

I am not condoning anything so quit putting your own meaning to what I said.

No one can control fandom threats and that has nothing to do with him disregarding what he was told to do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest nonsense? No names, no info, etc. And everybody is missing 1 thing for sure - the Rams pooched that kickoff by design on the not as small as you might think chance that there would be a goof somewhere. They showed that secondary angle of the kicker kicking and he popped it right up. If he'd have not caught it there could have been any number of disasters, and we've seen guys backing up to kneel then regret it (and did they tweak that rule somehow this year?) in less dramatic consequences. And Aaron Rodgers on potential game winning drives vs anybody but the 49ers since Harbaugh and the Bears isn't exactly what you'd call clutch. I know the guy screwed up royally in spite of all that but the Packers better get over it or the Pats are going to drop 80 on them.

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Quote:

Rodgers should show some leadership and support his teammate like Tramon Williams is doing. JMO

It wasn't a mistake.

He deliberately disobeyed a direct order from his coach.

Those two things are not the same.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BloodyChamp said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest nonsense? No names, no info, etc. And everybody is missing 1 thing for sure - the Rams pooched that kickoff by design on the not as small as you might think chance that there would be a goof somewhere. They showed that secondary angle of the kicker kicking and he popped it right up. If he'd have not caught it there could have been any number of disasters, and we've seen guys backing up to kneel then regret it (and did they tweak that rule somehow this year?) in less dramatic consequences. And Aaron Rodgers on potential game winning drives vs anybody but the 49ers since Harbaugh and the Bears isn't exactly what you'd call clutch. I know the guy screwed up royally in spite of all that but the Packers better get over it or the Pats are going to drop 80 on them.

"Pooched that kickoff...."...?

Huh???

The kick-off went two yards deep in the end zone.    That's not a pooch kick.   Pooch kicks go short, forcing someone to field in in the field of play and not be able to return it naturally.

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Quote:

The only thing over the top is Montgomery throwing his team under the bus. Deserves everything he gets, should be kicked out of the team, off the league.

As for those death threats, he's a lying liar. Taking the word of someone who intentionally disobeys direct orders from his coach is a joke.

11 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Quote:

That kind of fandom is over the top, no place for that, IMO, if it is true.

Rodgers did say that they did not lose because of that play. Everyone is human and can get caught up in the moment, I agree with that but it was not a mistake definitely, an intentional action given all that transpired prior to that action, no matter the denial.

If he is not cut by now, he obviously has enough equity built up that the team is willing to give him another chance. Actions speak louder than words with support, that is what I am sensing with the Packers team, that they still support him.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

"Pooched that kickoff...."...?

Huh???

The kick-off went two yards deep in the end zone.    That's not a pooch kick.   Pooch kicks go short, forcing someone to field in in the field of play and not be able to return it naturally.

That's exactly what that kick did, rather than go out the back of the endzone like most kicks have since they've kicked from the 35 yard line.

5 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

That's exactly what that kick did, rather than go out the back of the endzone like most kicks have since they've kicked from the 35 yard line.

It makes no difference. He fielded the ball in the end zone. Any kickoff that goes into the end zone is not a pooch. A pooch is when the ball is kicked and placed between the receiver and the coverage players.

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

It wasn't a mistake.

He deliberately disobeyed a direct order from his coach.

Those two things are not the same.

There’s no proof though. Just a player anonymously saying that.  Now comes Ty saying he didn’t disobey any coach orders.  

https://sports.yahoo.com/ty-montgomery-thoroughly-disappointed-speculation-happened-fumble-024534894.html

Now it is up to the coaches / team to ‘correct him’ politely if he isn’t truthful, yes?   So we find out a little by how it goes from here, but he isn’t ‘cut’ yet...

By what a yard? Any 98 yard screen pass goes down as passing yardage, any RB who fumbles a handoffs isn't credited with a fumble, and a 98 yard punt goes down as being punted 98 yards regardless of where it hit but run this into the ground and use no common sense like you do everything I guess.

19 hours ago, Trueman said:

honestly a cuttable offense , imo. 

If he disobeys a direct order, /I agree too/.  But, evidently there was not a specific direct order given in that situation.  What was mentioned was a reiterization from Ron Zooks typical run back policy - If it ends up in the end zone, then keep it in the end zone.

Ty says it was too close to the line where he caught it and it was a split second decision to run it rather than potentially kneeling on the goal / half foot line.  

Believe it, if a specific direct order was disobeyed (Zooks or McCarthy’s) he would be gone by now.  Are players frustrated, yes.  Ty tried to make a play and he did... a very bad one.  Teammates aren’t happy, nor should they be.  Ty had (just) enough room to get a touchback there, and didn’t because of his uncertainty. 

The fact that it came out into public tells me the Pack locker room is in disarray and is troublesome.

In football, results rule.  If Montgomery would have taken it to the house, he’d be a hero.  If he doesn’t fumble, people would be talking about how Rodgers fared in the 2 minute drill.  He fumbled ...

• Like 1

@ColtsBlueFL good post. 

I concur about there is question about how direct an order it was and even then if the player (rightly or wrongly) felt he wasn't sure where he was vis a vis the line and made a snap judgement call then that's just part of the game. If he gets tackled and doesn't fumble nothing more is ever said. 

As you said I think speaks more to issues within the locker room itself, interesting too that there was this assumption Rogers would have driven down the field for the W. If he say threw a pick off the back of a blatantly poor decision would there be such an outcry?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Ty says it was too close to the line where he caught it and it was a split second decision to run it rather than potentially kneeling on the goal / half foot line.

Ty had (just) enough room to get a touchback there, and didn’t because of his uncertainty. 

It had not bounced before him and he was in the end zone. He has done enough kickoffs before, which is why his coach trusted him, so he would have been well aware of where he was. If he was unsure, he could have got out of the way and by the time the coverage team came, it would have bounced in the end zone, the uncertainty comes into the picture only because he chose to catch it. It is not like a punt with reverse spin, kickoffs typically have enough forward momentum because distance is more important and kicking it out of bounds is taboo. So, if it is getting to the 1 yard line, which it didn't but he thought it might have, odds are pretty much 100% that it is a touch back if he gets out of the way.

Plus, it is not like he is a Devin Hester, no matter what he thinks he is (with knee injury history and all), for him to think he can make a play for his team more than the 25 yards handed to his team by default. 

I really, really have a hard time buying his reasoning but I do agree that if it were not a fumble, his anonymous teammate's character assassination/assessment (whichever you want to call it), would not have come into the picture. He is paying the price for it, fair or not. I doubt he does kickoffs again, even if he is not cut.

We don’t know the details of Zooks in the end zone criteria (how far etc.) But I also know that the returner is there to make a play on returnable kicks. Coaches want players to make plays, and give guidance rules. Is that on the ‘line’ of returnable kicks?  Seems it could have been.  And if a direct do not catch it or return it mandate was given, Ty would have been gone before they boarded TE plane.  He’s not.

Mandates might be made in the future because of this though. 

these kinds of trades are interesting, they hurt the team more than the player

its like when the dolphins traded Jay Ajayi when they were mad at him last year.  he went to the best team in the league and won the superbowl, and the dolphins didnt get much in return 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Trueman said:

@ColtsBlueFL

well, they just traded his @$$ for peanuts , so clearly there was something behind it. 

We know there was something to it.  He used poor judgement andbrought it out when directive (all year) was in the end zone, stay there (for all kicks all year), but it is also to clean up the locker room at minimum.  He created a division and mess in there that the Packers can’t have moving forward.

If they couldn't trade him, they may have had to resort to cutting him later today or tomorrow anyway.

1 minute ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

We know there was something to it.  He brought it out when directive was in the end zone, stay there (for all kicks all year), but it is also to clean up the locker room at minimum.  He created a division and mess in there that the Packers can’t have moving forward.

If they couldn't trade him, they may have had to resort to cutting him later today or tomorrow anyway.

5 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

But, evidently there was not a specific direct order given in that situation.

5 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Believe it, if a specific direct order was disobeyed (Zooks or McCarthy’s) he would be gone by now.

I mean , c'mon man.... work with me here. 

3 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

OK. So teams want to trade for players that disobey coaches? Got it.  ;-)

For 7th round picks? Of course. 

Teams have turned a blind eye to FAR worse things. Please. 

If you honestly believe the Packers dealt a productive young player for a measly 7th round pick for making a "mistake" and not directly disobeying orders and putting himself above the team, then I dunno what to tell you. 

Believe whatever you want. 

44 minutes ago, Trueman said:

For 7th round picks? Of course. 

Teams have turned a blind eye to FAR worse things. Please. 

If you honestly believe the Packers dealt a productive young player for a measly 7th round pick for making a "mistake" and not directly disobeying orders and putting himself above the team, then I dunno what to tell you. 

Believe whatever you want. 

OK, now we’re deep into semantics.  I know he disobeyed a long standing rule because of poor judgement.  The report was a ‘direct’ order. There’s no proof of that.  An anonymous player says he did (but not whose order was disobeyed), and Montgomery said in a presser he didn’t.

The locker room was divided.  (Not all were against him). We do not know with proof.  For all I know, Rodgers could have said (not saying he did!!) I don’t want him in the locker room anymore, fix it. We do not know.

I know he used poor judgement and thus disobeying a standard order, lost them a chance at winning a tough game.  McCarthy wasn’t all over him in the after game presser (don’t HC’;s wear headphones, talk and listen to all coaches during the game about decisions?).  

If Ty did directly hear an order and disobey, those coaches are saints for keeping it to themselves and out of the media. (A few ticked off teammates couldn’t though)

We’ll never get proof. And young players that mess up big get moved (waived or trade) for making mistakes at times.  And if I was a HC, asked if the guy directly disobeyed an order from a coach, and it was affirmed, I would not trade for him. But that’s me, not John Harbaugh.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2803617-nfl-trade-rumors-packers-rb-ty-montgomery-available-after-fumble-vs-rams

• Like 1

Death Threats are WRONG and anyone condoning them are sick!

I seriously doubt he disobeyed a direct order to not bring kick off out. They may have preferred he not but doubt they expressed it to him. He tried to make a play. If he would have ran it back to midfield he would have been considered a hero.

Being traded to Ravens is s good thing for him. Left a dysfunctional organization that just relies on one player.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Management sent a message. Ty was a decent player for them. But you can’t go rogue in that situation and he did. Every second counted. The obvious choice was to down it in the end zone to give the best QB in football every chance to get the team in FG position. Ty was clearly behind the goal line when he caught it. You down it plain and simple. No hero nonsense. Especially when that is the basic rule your team has in ANY kickoff into the end zone. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Management sent a message. Ty was a decent player for them. But you can’t go rogue in that situation and he did. Every second counted. The obvious choice was to down it in the end zone to give the best QB in football every chance to get the team in FG position. Ty was clearly behind the goal line when he caught it. You down it plain and simple. No hero nonsense. Especially when that is the basic rule your team has in ANY kickoff into the end zone. 

This.  I think he went rogue because he was taken out for a play a little earlier and threw a tantrum on the sidelines.  I think that played into it as well.  Him trying to ‘make a play’ against standing orders and the tantrum was additional motivation to getting him moved.