Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hue Jackson Fired

John Waylon

The owner is why Hue stayed around in the first place. I'm pretty sure Dorsey would've brought in his own guy this past summer.

This is going to tell us a lot about the direction of the Browns. Is Dorsey going to put the coaching staff together, or will the Haslams drive this bus? Are the Browns going to be a real NFL team, or are they going to follow the Cowboys model where the owner dictates things like hiring and firing coordinators?

• Like 1

The Baker Mayfield mentality has to be asking why me in this quagmire? Fire not one but two. This is either the worst thing they could do or the best. Either way recently I saw a woman from Cleveland say "at least now we have hope." You have to feel sorry for those fans as the wind has gone out of their sails.

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

i feel bad for Mayfield, his rookie year just got a LOT harder. and knowing the browns, they wont retain any of the interim coaches and hire all new ones next year.

Of course they won't retain them (unless new HC wants so). That's why they made the firings now, so they get a head start on the coaching search. And maybe the situation with Hue/Haley/rest of the team was escalating badly so they felt they needed to act now, if one believes those reports.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chad72 said:

OMG, I just found out the Browns fired Todd Haley too. I would have thought he'd have been the first one to go. 

Pagano and Chudzinski will fit right in. :) 

They'd should have kept Haley around. The guy is a good coach.

4 hours ago, jet1968 said:

Seems like an odd time for firings. Why not wait until the end of the year?

There was a huge discord between Jackson and Haley.  It is reported it was well beyond who  would call offensive plays.  Dorsey had enough and got Jimmy Haslam on board for change.

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

i feel bad for Mayfield, his rookie year just got a LOT harder. and knowing the browns, they wont retain any of the interim coaches and hire all new ones next year.

Alex Smith says "Hello!"

(how many successive OC's did Smith have early in his career?)

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, BOTT said:

They'd should have kept Haley around. The guy is a good coach.

His abrasive personality rubbed more than just Hue Jackson the wrong way, it has been speculated (Joe Thomas, former Browns OT).

Freddie Kitchens, former Alabama QB and 13 year asst. coach is now the interim OC.

Alex Smith's 1 in a billion situation hardly proves Mayfield safe. Haley never even played football and is the son of a former Jets higher up man. That's the only reason he ever got work in the NFL, and Kurt Warner and big Ben are the only reason he hasn't been washing golf balls somewhere for the last 10 years (golf being his sport of choice). Hue? I agree that this is a dumb time to fire anybody regardless of the situation. It's still a long season and I don't know if the players can get juiced up for the typical win 1 for us and only us game after the head coach is fired. They still have to do this 8 more times. The 1 argument is that the players quit on him, something they'd never done before last Sunday. Is Haslaam that smart though? He probably just threw his hands up and fired him.