Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bad Colts D, Good Raiders O, or a little of both?

DalTXColtsFan

7 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

So tired of zone defense.

Play some man coverage at least once in awhile to try and keep ooposing O on their toes.

At least let the CB's jam the WR's at the line from time to time. Geesh 

They play man at times, and they try to jam receivers. They just play with terrible technique. They line up wrong, their footwork is bad, they don't track the ball, don't use the sideline, and panic and grab at the top of the route.

They need more attention to detail in meetings and on the practice field. But really, we need better players.

15 hours ago, Superman said:

They play man at times, and they try to jam receivers. They just play with terrible technique. They line up wrong, their footwork is bad, they don't track the ball, don't use the sideline, and panic and grab at the top of the route.

They need more attention to detail in meetings and on the practice field. But really, we need better players.

I'll have to pay better attention to the CB's next game. I'm always looking for pass rush (and obviously not finding it) lol 

• Like 1

On 10/28/2018 at 8:14 PM, DalTXColtsFan said:

You never like to see your D get gashed for 4 long touchdown drives EVER, ESPECIALLY not against a team without its #1RB, #1WR (traded to Cowboys) and missing some OL too.  MAJOR kudos to the offense for so consistently competing under constant pressure and keeping the game close so Maniac could close it out for us.

What happened to the D today?  I know the Colts gave up a lot of points to the Jets, Patriots, Texans too, but the offense put the D in a ton of terrible spots in those games.  This game the O was lights-out.  So what was it?  To me it felt like a complete lack of pressure on Carr and good coaching by the Raiders to take advantage of it.

I'm not trying to make excuses for the Colts D last Sunday, but I believe that the Raiders had a bye week before the Colts game, so they had 2 weeks to prepare.  That additional time probably had a little to do with the performance.  The Colts still need to do a better job than they did.

Definitely bad D. The Colts were getting gashed in the run game by Doug Martin and couldn't stop anything by a passing game that had Jared Cook as its best weapon. Overall, they had 1 QB hit (on a 1st down completion), 0 TFL and 1 PD in that entire game.

Nobody played well...until the last two drives and when Leonard forced the fumble. 

The D is not good...probably due to talent and scheme.

The Colts defense probably has the easiest schedule of any team this year. By the end of the season, the Colts D will have played the #17 x2, #21, #22, #23, #24, #25, #27 x2, #28 x2, #30 and #32 offenses (according to current EXP). That is more than 3/4 of their schedule.

Outside of NE, they won’t play another top 10 offense (maybe CIN ends up by end of season…but PHI certainly wasn’t a good offense when they played them).

That bodes well for being able to win games ROS...but it doesn't really speak highly of the current performance.

Given this schedule, I am just not really sure how we grade them this year. They definitely aren't good...but they are also a work in progress. So I think we just grade individual performances for now. 

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 8:14 PM, DalTXColtsFan said:

You never like to see your D get gashed for 4 long touchdown drives EVER, ESPECIALLY not against a team without its #1RB, #1WR (traded to Cowboys) and missing some OL too.  MAJOR kudos to the offense for so consistently competing under constant pressure and keeping the game close so Maniac could close it out for us.

What happened to the D today?  I know the Colts gave up a lot of points to the Jets, Patriots, Texans too, but the offense put the D in a ton of terrible spots in those games.  This game the O was lights-out.  So what was it?  To me it felt like a complete lack of pressure on Carr and good coaching by the Raiders to take advantage of it.

Bad defense made carr look like a HOF QB and he isn't even close I was not at all happy with the defense happy with the offense for probably the first time all year.

On 10/29/2018 at 9:41 PM, Superman said:

Would you draft someone like Greedy Williams with a top 10 pick for the Colts next year? Does it matter whether we keep the current Tampa 2 scheme or not? The name is not really important in this case - assume there is a CB who is BPA at where we are picking in round 1. Do you draft him knowing the lack of emphasis on the position put by the scheme? 

I've been posting some mocks on the draft sub-forum with Greedy as our pick since I think he's the clear BPA at the spot, and I've had people emphasize that Ballard won't spend high pick on a CB in this scheme. To a degree I agree... but I'm still not certain... 

40 minutes ago, stitches said:

Would you draft someone like Greedy Williams with a top 10 pick for the Colts next year? Does it matter whether we keep the current Tampa 2 scheme or not? The name is not really important in this case - assume there is a CB who is BPA at where we are picking in round 1. Do you draft him knowing the lack of emphasis on the position put by the scheme? 

I've been posting some mocks on the draft sub-forum with Greedy as our pick since I think he's the clear BPA at the spot, and I've had people emphasize that Ballard won't spend high pick on a CB in this scheme. To a degree I agree... but I'm still not certain... 

My big question would be about the separation between the corner who is considered BPA and the next group of players. Adjusted for positional value, I might pass on the corner. 

I don't think Ballard will absolutely refuse to use a top ten pick on a corner, but that guy would have to be a super athletic playmaker who takes the ball away. Jalen Ramsey-esque, with more cover ability. 

Based on how they're playing this year, I assume the coaches want to play some man coverage, so I think there's an appreciation for coverage players on the outside. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1