Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Marlon Mack / Le'Veon Bell

jskinnz

9 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Ok, I guess we are talking about different subjects thus the  confusion. I was never talking about getting or paying To get Bell, My bad, Only about the versatility of a running back that can also be a threat at receiving. If I offended your subject matter then I apologize to you. I was only alliterating  to the fact, of the benefit of having a running backs that have the versatility of doing double duty out of the back field to keep the defense honest. 

you mean like what Mack does at 1 minute in this video? yeah...he's not a threat out of the backfield.....

10 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

You're not the only one. There were many members of this forum saying 3-4 weeks ago, "wait until Mack gets healthy, our run game will be better'.  I was pro Mack as well.  Especially knowing how he did last year playing the entire year with a torn labrum.

I know'there were others. I was just being cheeky.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

I think the main concern at the time in this forum, was more about his durability, than his talent level. that was the main concern. 

Maybe, But I won't question his toughness,,not playing with a torn labrum the entire year.  Reich was very smart letting Marlon sit out until he was 100%,...just like A.C.  We are now seeing the dividends from those decisions...

that's yet another difference between this regime and the last.  Players were made to play with significant injuries because they were in 'win now' mode. this one wants the players healthy so they can come in and play well.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ahhhh.....   uhhhhh.....

I’d slow that roll a bit...

Maybe you’re right.   But Mack has been hit fir three weeks.   That’s it.

Can he do it the rest of the season?   Maybe.

Can he do it again in 2019?   Maybe.

That was the issue for many if us with Mack.    Can he do it year after year.   It’s a little too early to know....

He was a stud last year, this is not an instant surprise, he jumps off the screen.  He showed burst and ability all last season stuck behind Gore.  How else would I have been on his bandwagon all season?   Just because the guy pulls his hamstring doesn't make him injury prone.  I don't get this narrative.  Are we saying this stuff about Nelson, or Leonard? No. Mack is legit and every running back is a play away from being injured like anyone else.  Bottom line, this kid can flat out play and who knows what fate may hold.  So let's stop with the 'ya but' stuff on this kid and enjoy the show!  

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Look....   all I’m saying is that as recently as 22 days ago no one here knew what Mack could do.

No one was calling Mack the answer to our prayers.

The poster I was responding to was asking all the doubters to “eat crow”.   Like he knew something no one else did.   Like he’s the leader imof the Marlon Mack fan club since we drafted the kid.    

The vastly improved OL and the improved performance of Luck has something to do with Mack’s success.  I love the kid.   Always have.   But I’d like to see more success before proclaiming him as The Answer...    really, that’s all..

Umm, somebody was....

1 hour ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Give me a break so Marshal Faulk was not worthy as a  running and receiving back ?

You need versatility at running back just not a one dimensional that every defense knows that they can't produce outside of running the ball.

What versatile one back has the patriots used in all of their success? 

This group of RB's works well together. They each are good at different things. When we're blocking well, they're a solid group.

Mack is a very good back if you can give him a little room. Home run threat every down.

1 hour ago, horseshoecrabs said:

I think the main concern at the time in this forum, was more about his durability, than his talent level. that was the main concern. 

Exactly this. I was a Mack fan pre-draft (though admittedly it was based on hoghlight film) and when we drafted him I was excited. Went to the 49ers at Colts game last year when he had a great redzone run. Went woth my 49ers buddy and that run drew a "MARLON FREAKIN MACK!" out of me. Ever since, that's been my chant when he gets the ball. If you get him some space to make the first guy miss, this kid looks like McCoy. His durability has been an issue so far, so that's a fair gripe. With any luck in the health department though, he's definitely up to snuff for starting RBs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

You're not the only one. There were many members of this forum saying 3-4 weeks ago, "wait until Mack gets healthy, our run game will be better'.  I was pro Mack as well.  Especially knowing how he did last year playing the entire year with a torn labrum.

Saying "our run game will be better" isn't some genius insight.    Anyone could've predicted that.

The question is how much better and for how long?     Those, no one has answers to --- yet.

1 hour ago, Rally5 said:

He was a stud last year, this is not an instant surprise, he jumps off the screen.  He showed burst and ability all last season stuck behind Gore.  How else would I have been on his bandwagon all season?   Just because the guy pulls his hamstring doesn't make him injury prone.  I don't get this narrative.  Are we saying this stuff about Nelson, or Leonard? No. Mack is legit and every running back is a play away from being injured like anyone else.  Bottom line, this kid can flat out play and who knows what fate may hold.  So let's stop with the 'ya but' stuff on this kid and enjoy the show!  

Marlon Mack was "a stud last year"....?????     On what planet?

Less than 100 carries.      Less than a 4.0 average per carry.      Let's not get carried away here.   Those are NOT the numbers of a stud.    He's put up stud numbers the last three games.    That's it.

And here are his official stats:

https://www.colts.com/team/players-roster/marlon-mack/career

What I've taken in from this thread so far:

- We like Mack, but not that much, but hes good! but he can't catch, but he...

He's playing very well, plain and simple!!

I swear, when we win the super bowl, there's gonna be a thread on: "We could have done this better"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rally5 said:

Umm, somebody was....

Ummm......

I've answered this in your previous post.

You being right is like saying,  "hey, I predicted it would be 12 o'clock!"     Hey,  you're right twice a day.    But not because you knew something the rest of us didn't.     The numbers I posted in response to your other post showed you were wrong about Mack being a stud last year.

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

What versatile one back has the patriots used in all of their success? 

Why must every thing always come back to the way the Patriots do things ? If it was that simple then the copy cats who have tried to follow that way over the many years of trying has failed miserably 

Mack needs to be more available the rest of the year and that will be a start for his consistency. If he does that, we can still draft a between the tackles back to replace Turbin but like Ingram and Kamara, we will need that between the tackle bruiser to go with the lighter and niftier Mack. Nothing trumps production that comes with availability.

2 hours ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Lots of people claiming he was nothing more than a change of pace back.

23 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Less than 100 carries.      Less than a 4.0 average per carry.      Let's not get carried away here.   Those are NOT the numbers of a stud.    He's put up stud numbers the last three games.    That's it.

And here are his stats compared to the rest of the League....:

Marlon.png

Marlon.png

2 hours ago, Rally5 said:

Umm, somebody was....

Hey......

I'm sorry....    really.     Not looking to give you a hard time.

So, if you're on the Marlon Mack bandwagon --- great!     Glad you're on and I hope it's a long ride.

I'm a Mack fan too.    When I predicted we'd take a RB in the 4th round of the '17 draft,  Mack was one of the backs I had in mind.    And I wrote about him.    So, I'm glad he's doing well.    

And, clearly, I hope he continues to do well, and you enjoy every great game he has!

If Mack and Hines and Wilkins continue like this, our offense will be hard to stop.....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Lots of people claiming he was nothing more than a change of pace back.

Oh bott! Glad to have you back. Thought maybe you were ignoring me lol. 

Hey when you were missing I did post a "Search for Bott " post. I really did miss your incite.

I got a lot of responses from that post. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I get it....    THIS year.

But the poster I was responding to said Mack was a "stud" last year.

I simply pointed out that he wasn't.     Not even a little bit.

Well, no. But he did better than anyone could ask considering he played with a torn labrum the entire year. Which completely explains why he was tentative about heavy contact going between the tackles.  Once that healed up...there has been no hesitation.

4 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Well, no. But he did better than anyone could ask considering he played with a torn labrum the entire year. Which completely explains why he was tentative about heavy contact going between the tackles.  Once that healed up...there has been no hesitation.

Yes.....    agreed...     I'm NOT anti-Mack.     I liked him when we drafted him,  I liked him his rookie year and I like him even more now.     I like the guy.

I was responding to the idea that Mack was a stud as a rookie.     He wasn't.     There were lots of legitimate reasons.     His injuries,  his terrible O-line,  an inexperienced QB,   a poorly conceived offensive game plan.     All legitimate reasons.   

But Marlon Mack was not a stud last year.     He IS playing like one now --- the last three weeks.

Just wasn't playing like one a year ago....    that's my only point.    I don't think I'm saying anything controversial.   

• Like 1

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Yes.....    agreed...     I'm NOT anti-Mack.     I liked him when we drafted him,  I liked him his rookie year and I like him even more now.     I like the guy.

I was resonding to the idea that Mack was a stud as a rookie.     He wasn't.     There were lots of legitimate reasons.     His injuries,  his terrible O-line,  an inexperienced QB,   a poorly conceived offensive game plan.     All legitimate reasons.   

But Marlon Mack was not a stud last year.     He IS playing like one now --- the last three weeks.

Just wasn't playing like one a year ago....    that's my only point.    I don't think I'm saying anything controversial.   

Nope, just clarifying.

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ummm......

I've answered this in your previous post.

You being right is like saying,  "hey, I predicted it would be 12 o'clock!"     Hey,  you're right twice a day.    But not because you knew something the rest of us didn't.     The numbers I posted in response to your other post showed you were wrong about Mack being a stud last year.

If you know what you're looking at he showed tons of promise, a few people saw it clearly.  I had people telling me he was only "a scat back," "we need a true plow horse", "dude is injury prone," most recently "go spend a fortune on  L Bell."  All of that is wrong. Now, if 'stud' means filling a stat box last year then you would be correct he's not a stud.    And I'm no clock... 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

My fault, I wasn't speaking statistically. He was explosive and showed real promise.  I identified his burst, vision, and playmaking ability as a stud, not the stat box, that wasn't my measure.  I'm not going to respond to this anymore.  Let's say you win.  Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Totally agree with you.  I am not sure what Bell's end game is.  He has been replaced by a 4th rounder who is tearing it up.  He lost millions this year and I don't believe teams will offer him big money next year.  Conner and Pittsburgh have proved that he is replaceable.  You don't pay replaceable players 18 mill a year. Dumb move by him...but I mayb proven wrong.

He doesn't have an end game...just playing checkers whilst others are playing chess.  Well, that and he has plenty of money at the moment...

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Saying "our run game will be better" isn't some genius insight.    Anyone could've predicted that.

The question is how much better and for how long?     Those, no one has answers to --- yet.

Why do you hate Mack so much????     :)

11 hours ago, Trueman said:

Because people still don't understand OL's are more important than RB's. 

THIS!  

People do not understand this.  People want us to just throw money at FAs and place them without putting the foundations in place.  A star RB isn't going to do anything behind a trash line.  Build an elite OL and you can almost put anyone back their and they will produce.  The improvement in OL is synonymous with the run game.

11 hours ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Mack's hands are fine, his drops have been largely concentration issues.

Mack has the ability to take every catch he makes for a TD, so... no, don't stop throwing to him. That would be stupid.

You can't teach concentration. If you haven't learned it by now, then that's just who you are as a player.

12 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Can we please put the Le'Veon Bell to Indy rumor's out of their misery?  That dog don't hunt and frankly never did.

Mack looks to have the makings of a feature back and is complemented very nicely by Hines and Wilkins.  

200+ yards in two straight games by a younger and far cheaper group.  Why would they ever consider giving up the asset or dollars required to get Bell?  

The Colts needed someone to run the ball efficiently for them or Luck is going to throw 45+ passes every game. Mack showed some flashes last year and battled injuries. This year, he has been injured until last week. I do like Mack a lot. But, Le'Veon was very enticing since this team hasn't had an efficient running team since like 2007. I was for Le'Veon Bell or someone in FA that can get the job done but I wanted to see Mack for the rest of the season to see how he will do first. I do really like what he brings to our team. I just hope he can keep it up.