Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dear Darius Leonard:

2 minutes ago, MarquisJ said:

They should send his DROY award to his house like tomorrow.

What linebacker is playing better than him right now? I’m thinking First Team All-Pro.

I saw that PFF had him as the 4th best rookie LB.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 2
5 minutes ago, Gocolts-Rolltide said:

Ironically that's exactly what I think of that stat......  "pfff" poppy *.. 

It's rankings like what I saw regarding Leonard that makes me take PFF with a very large grain of salt.

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

That's because he missed a game, which lowers his PFF rank. If he played every game, he'd be the top guy, no question. His stats show he is the best rookie LBer.

That is one of several problems with their rankings.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

That's because he missed a game, which lowers his PFF rank. If he played every game, he'd be the top guy, no question. His stats show he is the best rookie LBer.

doesn't he have the best ilb stats in nfl

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Leonard is a God send! I keep telling myself he would make a huge play and it happened. The guy is Great so far.

Right?

Its like he looks around and says “gosh dangit, I’m going to end this friggin’ game!”

Time to send Jon Gruden home!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I don't watch all the games, so I can't say he should be defensive player of the year or All-Pro or anything like that.  There are some really good defensive players having great years.  BUT, I would find it difficult to believe there are any defensive ROOKIES playing better than Leonard so far.  Maybe Derwin James?  MAYBE?  I'm having a hard time finding anybody else to even mention.  Maybe Chubb?  He has 7 sacks but little else.  Leonard himself has 4 from the LB position and does EVERYTHING else.

Question.  I know Leonard makes impact plays and tons of tackles which the linebacker does in this system.  I think we mayb over valuing him a tad bit at this time in his career.    Great promise, but how do people think he is doing in coverage, which is really important in this Zone scheme?Stats don't always tell the whole story.  People who seem to know the game feel he needs to improve a lot in this area.

14 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Question.  I know Leonard makes impact plays and tons of tackles which the linebacker does in this system.  I think we mayb over valuing him a tad bit at this time in his career.    Great promise, but how do people think he is doing in coverage, which is really important in this Zone scheme?Stats don't always tell the whole story.  People who seem to know the game feel he needs to improve a lot in this area.

I think he does well. Is there room for improvement? Of course, he's far from perfect. But the fumble was an example of him in coverage tracking the ball and deciding to go for the kill instead of the tackle. 

His judgement is what is setting him apart. The other things like coverage will continue to get better with experience. 

• Thanks 1

Leonard has natural playmaking instincts. As a rookie...  Unbelievable. The only reason he’s not getting more recognition is because of our record.  We go on a run and watch the league start to notice.  He’s already got a signature move with the punch fumble.  He’s looking as accurate as Floyd Mayweather with that move.  

Hooker’s injury robbed him of his outstanding rookie year.  Leonard is making the most of his. That’s two dynamic defensive playmakers in back to back drafts... We haven’t seen a young stud on defense make Leonard’s kind of impact since Colonel Bob Sanders.  What a natural.