Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do the Colts make any moves before the trade deadline?

Smoke317

I hope this thread isn’t too redundant. If so, please merge it within the appropriate thread. If not, then I’m just wondering if we make any moves before the deadline?  Is it contingent on the Raiders game?  We win, maybe we take a look and see if we can chase down Houston for the division?  Or does Ballard look to get a solid playmaker like a L. Collins or P. Peterson for a 2nd or 3rd figuring they could be nice pieces for the next few years regardless of a Raiders win?

If we do make any moves, what position do you think it would be for and who do you guys have in mind?  WR?  Thomas?  Sanders?  Parker?  It would be nice to have a second dependable option on the outside when we go up against Jax & Tenn after the bye. One of the defensive studs I mentioned up thread?  Or maybe some other defensive players could be options?  Or do you expect CB to stand pat and make his big moves next off season and how do you feel about that approach?

35 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I hope this thread isn’t too redundant. If so, please merge it within the appropriate thread. If not, then I’m just wondering if we make any moves before the deadline?  Is it contingent on the Raiders game?  We win, maybe we take a look and see if we can chase down Houston for the division?  Or does Ballard look to get a solid playmaker like a L. Collins or P. Peterson for a 2nd or 3rd figuring they could be nice pieces for the next few years regardless of a Raiders win?

If we do make any moves, what position do you think it would be for and who do you guys have in mind?  WR?  Thomas?  Sanders?  Parker?  It would be nice to have a second dependable option on the outside when we go up against Jax & Tenn after the bye. One of the defensive studs I mentioned up thread?  Or maybe some other defensive players could be options?  Or do you expect CB to stand pat and make his big moves next off season and how do you feel about that approach?

I will make a prediction that we trade a 5th round pick for Demaryius Thomas. He has this year and next year on his contract, and he can make us possible wild card contenders if we make the trade after beating the Raiders (assuming we do). This would be a cheap move (5th rounder, contract is somewhat expensive) to set us up at the WR position well for the next two years while filling in the rest of the position and finding a no2 WR to replace him down the line.

I super doubt CB makes a move. Simply put, we’re 2-5, and even if we do go on a run (starting with beating the raiders), I don’t think the team is interested in losing assets for a veteran who will take playing time away from a youngster. I think the plan is to let the team play out the season and let guys emerge so we can start seeing who the core of this team will be for the future (besides Luck, we’ve seen Leonard, Walker, Nelson, Smith, Mack, Ebron and others emerge as future focal points for this team). 

The only type of player I see Ballard trading for is a young, cost controlled player at a position of need with upside and wouldn’t cost more than a 4th (and those aren’t exactly easy to find haha). The only player I could think of who fit that description was DeVante Parker, but after his game against HOU I wonder if the Fins are more interested in keeping him. 

• Like 4

Ballard has made it clear -

he will not trade a draft pick for a veteran

he will not overpay for a free agent

The plan has always been to stockpile picks, draft young guys well, and establish a cohesive team culture.  "Win now" is nowhere in his vocabulary.

I severely doubt he makes any high profile moves before the deadline.

38 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I could see him make a move for Gareon Conley. Maybe a 4th for him. I could also see a move being made for Davante Parker. 

I think the odds are against a deal 

But I agree on Conley. I would also throw Collins name in there

If there is a deal to be made, Conley for a 3rd (or 4th.... better) or conditional picks

I would have to consider

A 4th or 5th for Collins, or a conditional pick

I would HAVE to consider

Both are young

Both are needed

You dont take a deal, just to take it.......  to me, these are good value, almost a one sided deal (In our favor)

IF we dont get a ONE SIDED deal........  than I would sit tight, and watch the team improve in a measured approach

I doubt either team does the deal with us

There will be FAs and trades available next year as well....... We arent going to be doing much this year  (8-8 at best)

I think he keeps the picks.   That is a good thing, because he has drafted well.   Especially this year.   I think there are several who will contribute for years to come:

Nelson

Smith

Hines

Wilkens

Turay

Leonard

I even think Lewis, Fountain and Cain could be decent.   

Brissett won’t be traded until after the end of the season. Then we’ll see what’s offered. A low 1 or high 2 for him from a needy team might do the trick. The Giants are in a pickle right now. The Dolphins are hurting at QB too. Not to mention the Raiders may dump Carr. And they have some serious trade ammo with their multiple draft picks right now. 

From Pro Football Rumors:

The Dolphins are not inclined to trade wide receiver DeVante Parker unless they receive “serious, serious compensation,” tweets Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald, who adds Parker is now on a “better footing” in South Beach given the Dolphins’ rash of injuries at wideout. Miami had reportedly been seeking a third-round pick for Parker, whose agent recently lashed out at head coach Adam Gase, going as far as telling Gase to “make himself inactive” instead of altering Parker’s gameday status. Parker started Thursday night against the Texans after the Dolphins lost several pass-catchers, including Albert Wilson (who’s done for the year) and Kenny Stills (who could return in Week 9, tweets Ian Rapoport of NFL.com).

29 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Brissett won’t be traded until after the end of the season. Then we’ll see what’s offered. A low 1 or high 2 for him from a needy team might do the trick. The Giants are in a pickle right now. The Dolphins are hurting at QB too. Not to mention the Raiders may dump Carr. And they have some serious trade ammo with their multiple draft picks right now. 

I don't think there is any chance of getting a 1st for Brissett.    Probably not a high 2nd either.  

32 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

With the possibility of Carr, Manning, Tannehill and Bortles being available at the end of the year it might make sense for Ballard to trade Brissett now.   Less competition.

I would rather the Colts resigned Brissett than have either QB you listed backing up Luck.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

I would rather the Colts resigned Brissett than have either QB you listed backing up Luck.

the issue is would he want to come back here?  he'll never beat out a healthy andrew luck, but he could win the job in Jacksonville or New york 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

It never occurred to me that one of those four would be Lucks backup but I guess anything is possible.  It Brissett could land us young starter or a 2nd. round pick you would have to listen to an offer I think.  He's going to want to start somewhere.  Even the Steelers and Pats have to start thinking about their future QB.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Myles said:

I don't think there is any chance of getting a 1st for Brissett.    Probably not a high 2nd either.  

I disagree. Brissett can be a very good starting QB. He showed that last season in the most trying circumstances you could face. Any draft pick is a crap shoot, especially QBs. Brissett is young and experienced. Given that the crop of college QBs next season is pretty thin, he’d be worth a 1 or 2 in such an environment. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

With the possibility of Carr, Manning, Tannehill and Bortles being available at the end of the year it might make sense for Ballard to trade Brissett now.   Less competition.

Tannehill and Bortles aren’t going to get much interest. They will get signed as backups. Eli is done. Carr, IF he’s available, will definitely get serious interest. So the competition for Brissett as a starting  QB isn’t as deep as you’d think. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

the issue is would he want to come back here?  he'll never beat out a healthy andrew luck, but he could win the job in Jacksonville or New york 

That may be true but IMO getting a #1 for him is out of the question. If teams like Jacksonville or New York do want a QB they would use their own #1 pick in the draft.

The best we could hope for would be a #2 if we can't resign him.

• Like 1

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

That may be true but IMO getting a #1 for him is out of the question. If teams like Jacksonville or New York do want a QB they would use their own #1 pick in the draft.

The best we could hope for would be a #2 if we can't resign him.

I actually think the Giants would offer something worthwhile for Brissett.  Not a great QB draft coming up and they could use that high pick for another position of need and also have their QB set for a few years, IMO.

• Like 1

Jacksonville has a need too, and they wont have high picks in the draft.  do we want to help them find their qb though?  i would probably ask more from them 

id be talking to the giants and raiders to see what their interest is, and possibly the steelers 

4 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Ballard has made it clear -

he will not trade a draft pick for a veteran

he will not overpay for a free agent

The plan has always been to stockpile picks, draft young guys well, and establish a cohesive team culture.  "Win now" is nowhere in his vocabulary.

I severely doubt he makes any high profile moves before the deadline.

When has he made it clear he won't trade a pick for a veteran? Considering his interest in Cooper...I am not sure why he would say that.

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I could see him make a move for Gareon Conley. Maybe a 4th for him. I could also see a move being made for Davante Parker. 

I could see that as well...though the time to trade for Parker was before last night's game. I still think he is a worthwhile target. The Colts don't have a WR like that on this team. Give him an extended try out and maybe re-sign him (no way Ballard pays him the 5th year option).

52 minutes ago, J@son said:

I'd be shocked if Sheard gets traded.  Not sure why people think he could be.

Stampede Blue wrote some speculation about it out of left field. That's the only real reason I can think of. It makes no sense...if the Colts are trying to win next season (and this season). Sheard is the best DL player on this team...and I don't see him being unseated unless the Colts somehow get Demarcus Lawrence or a Ferrell in the draft.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Myles said:

I think he keeps the picks.   That is a good thing, because he has drafted well.   Especially this year.   I think there are several who will contribute for years to come:

Nelson

Smith

Hines

Wilkens

Turay

Leonard

I even think Lewis, Fountain and Cain could be decent.   

I don't see him trading a Day 1 or Day 2 pick. But Day 3 picks could be on the table. 

I would rather have a solid vet than any of the guys listed that were drafted after the 3rd round...if that scenario presented itself. But it would have to be a player with cost control past this season (and ideally for the two seasons after that). 

Plus, Ballard has two 4th rounders next year...so he could use that to his advantage.

• Like 1

I hope he does make a move. Nothing crazy...but a late round pick for a decent player that can help this team would be worth it. Show the team he thinks they can do some damage the rest of the year. At the very least, that's worth a 6th or 7th round pick. And who knows...maybe the Colts can rattle off a bunch of wins. 

I am not really concerned about a young guy losing snaps. There are plenty to go around...and injuries are inevitable. Plus, vets can often serve as teachers and mentors.

Plus, Ballard has a nice financial advantage over several teams, which gives him flexibility to possibly take on a good player under contract that another team can no longer easily afford...at a discounted rate. Not sure he would make a move like that at at TDL (though that is when you might see some of those deals available)...but this is something I hope he uses to his advantage in the offseason. 

9 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

Jacksonville has a need too, and they wont have high picks in the draft.  do we want to help them find their qb though?  i would probably ask more from them 

id be talking to the giants

When the G men are mathematically eliminated, they'll start Kyle Lauletta at QB.  New HC Shurmur (somewhat a QB whisperer himself) and new GM Dave Gettleman both gush about the guy and spent a 4th round pick for him.  They didn't do it for their backup of the future.

And no, no to Jax trades).

9 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

and raiders to see what their interest is, and possibly the steelers 

They won't get any meaningful responses until the off season.  Unless there is a panic mode situation this weekend...

2 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

There’s an old saying “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”

That being said, I don’t see the harm in listening to offers.

yes there is and I hate it.  If people had listened to that saying, we'd still be driving around in cars that look like this:

image.png.ad3e1fb24a143f2fa00e5331ac9e14ff.png

You should always be looking for ways to improve on what you already have in place.  

My thinking is that we need another viable outside threat when we go against Jax and their two stout corners.  But I forgot how well we've been using out tight ends.  I'm sure they will play a large role in the next few weeks.  Plus our run game is making everything easier for us.  I'd still like another dependable target for Luck to utilize. 

I have this feeling that Jax is gonna stack the box to stop the run and play us tight press man on the outside, figuring their physical corners can hang with our receivers.  Maybe that's where the tight ends and backs out of the backfield will be factors?  Regardless, the next month after the bye will make or break this season.  2 vs Jax and 1 vs Titans.  I'd like to go into those games with all hands on deck and as strong as we can be on the outside.