Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman

Holder's article on SOP, the Colts pass protection meetings

If you haven't read this already, you should. It's a really good inside look at how the tram prepares for each opponent's pass rush. This is the kind of stuff I've been hoping to see from local guys for a while. Glad to see Holder put out something like this.

https://t.co/ujSWBMG2Xh

This takes you to The Athletic, which is a pay site, but this article is offered for free. It's worth jumping through a couple hoops to get to, IMO. 

Excerpt:

The SOP continues on Mondays, when Brady hunkers down and watches the next opponent’s most recent game, identifying all the blitzes and defensive fronts that were shown. Offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo and running backs coach Tom Rathman are intimately involved throughout as well.

On Tuesday, a comprehensive package of possible blitzes is compiled and shared with the entire offensive staff. The level of detail is remarkable.

“They methodically go through every blitz that the defensive coordinator has shown for the past year, year and a half,” offensive coordinator Nick Sirianni said.

The compilation will even include blitzes the coordinator in question has used against Reich’s offenses during his stints with his former teams, in San Diego and Philadelphia. Clearly, Brady doesn’t sleep much during the season. Remember, there’s too much at stake.

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

If you haven't read this already, you should. It's a really good inside look at how the tram prepares for each opponent's pass rush. This is the kind of stuff I've been hoping to see from local guys for a while. Glad to see Holder put out something like this.

This takes you to The Athletic, which is a pay site, but this article is offered for free. It's worth jumping through a couple hoops to get to, IMO. 

Excerpt:

The SOP continues on Mondays, when Brady hunkers down and watches the next opponent’s most recent game, identifying all the blitzes and defensive fronts that were shown. Offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo and running backs coach Tom Rathman are intimately involved throughout as well.

On Tuesday, a comprehensive package of possible blitzes is compiled and shared with the entire offensive staff. The level of detail is remarkable.

“They methodically go through every blitz that the defensive coordinator has shown for the past year, year and a half,” offensive coordinator Nick Sirianni said.

The compilation will even include blitzes the coordinator in question has used against Reich’s offenses during his stints with his former teams, in San Diego and Philadelphia. Clearly, Brady doesn’t sleep much during the season. Remember, there’s too much at stake.

Who's Brady?

When you read something this, and pair it with the results we've seen the past 2-3 weeks, you start to become optimistic about the improved protection becoming a trend.  Beyond the personnel upgrades, you see the schemes, coaching, and culture mixing together to produce real results.

Great article.

Hopefully Holder releases more stuff like this now that he’s with the Athletic.

Side note, considering how much garbage is spewn out on sports websites and shows, I highly recommend subscribing to Athletic. Articles like this are hard to find and a joy to read, so I highly recommend it for people that want to insightful and interesting pieces:thmup:

Interesting article.  I'd be curious to know how innovative this is or if this is common among teams, just something we fans don't get to see.

17 hours ago, Superman said:

Excerpt:

Good share!

5 hours ago, cbear said:

Interesting article.  I'd be curious to know how innovative this is or if this is common among teams, just something we fans don't get to see.

Based on the article, the Colts have made the process more inclusive and included more members of the offense in the protection meetings. Matt Slauson says it's different than other teams he's been on, and the guys who were here last year say it's different than it was. 

I'm sure other teams do this, or something like it. Maybe the Colts have a different twist or a more intense focus on this, but it's probably not unique. 

My takeaway was mostly that the focus and plan has already yielded significant results on the field, and this line is still new, kind of young, and everyone is new in this offense. There's still plenty of room for improvement, but it's already working. And the article does a good job of explaining why and how. 

5 hours ago, cbear said:

I would guess it's pretty common, the innovation comes in adjusting the blocking scheme to combat it and having the players to execute it.  It is one of the reasons why continuity along the line is important, when the coaches and other players know what each one is capable of in the different situations it makes developing and adjusting to the changes that much easier and more effective.

I will say going back a year or year and half and looking at specific blitzes against a Reich run offense is probably a bit unique.