Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brian Baldinger Analysis on Quenton Nelson

DaveA1102

My biggest worry for Q was that he wouldn't be able to keep his awareness at an elite level while dealing with faster and bigger interior men until later in his career... And then he showed me that I'm dumb and had 0 reason to doubt as he got even better than what he already was in college. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, smittywerb said:

The fact that we still have people that believe we shouldn't have picked them where we did is ridiculous.  

I can't believe anyone still says that about Leonard. Even if people thought he was a reach (like myself)...have eaten crow.

Nelson is a completely different conversation.

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

You're may be right. We may have found some role players as well in Hines, Cain 

Turay has a ways to go. But his athleticism gives him a nice floor. He is already a guy who can win 1-on-1 against slower LTs (he ate old man Jason Peters alive). So hopefully Mathis can help him take the next step into a more complete pass rusher. 

It would awesome, if in a year or two, Turay was a 10 sack guy...but only like the 3rd-4th best DL player on the team.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Calmack said:

Atkins is no where in the league of Donald.

Obviously. Donald is probably the best defensive player in the league, Atkins anymore is above average. But Atkins does some of the same things that Donald does, although not as well, and he's not nearly as explosive. 

Point is, Nelson has some trouble with shorter, quicker guys who play in the gap and use their hands well. Atkins, Cox, maybe Datone Jones later. He's going to do better against bigger two gappers for a while. 

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:25 PM, Superman said:

Obviously. Donald is probably the best defensive player in the league, Atkins anymore is above average. But Atkins does some of the same things that Donald does, although not as well, and he's not nearly as explosive. 

Point is, Nelson has some trouble with shorter, quicker guys who play in the gap and use their hands well. Atkins, Cox, maybe Datone Jones later. He's going to do better against bigger two gappers for a while. 

I am a little perplexed Super with you continuous analysis of Nelson. Always seems more critical than complementary. I know you were sold on Bradley Chubb and I know he is doing well but in my humble opinion we needed to shore up our OL first and foremost.

Really like your input and am excited when you post but just seems to me that you are not as impressed with Nelson as most. Am I wrong?

6 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

I am a little perplexed Super with you continuous analysis of Nelson. Always seems more critical than complementary. I know you were sold on Bradley Chubb and I know he is doing well but in my humble opinion we needed to shore up our OL first and foremost.

Really like your input and am excited when you post but just seems to me that you are not as impressed with Nelson as most. Am I wrong?

I'm happy with Nelson and fine with the pick. It was the right pick at #6, easily. I thought he was the safest player in the draft, and I'm convinced he'll be a really good player for a long time. 

Right now, he's playing well, but has his moments where his weaknesses are obvious. He always had a problem with quicker, gap-shooting DL who use their hands well, and he always had a problem with overextending and losing leverage. He's an aggressive blocker, and sometimes a little too aggressive, which veteran linemen can use against him. There are no questions about his physical tools, and he'll learn how to adjust his game to minimize his few and minor weaknesses. I'm sharing my honest thoughts, not tainted by anything having to do with Chubb.

I might not be as impressed as others are, but I have no problem with Nelson and I'm looking forward to him being a dominant part of our line for a long time. 

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm happy with Nelson and fine with the pick. It was the right pick at #6, easily. I thought he was the safest player in the draft, and I'm convinced he'll be a really good player for a long time. 

Right now, he's playing well, but has his moments where his weaknesses are obvious. He always had a problem with quicker, gap-shooting DL who use their hands well, and he always had a problem with overextending and losing leverage. He's an aggressive blocker, and sometimes a little too aggressive, which veteran linemen can use against him. There are no questions about his physical tools, and he'll learn how to adjust his game to minimize his few and minor weaknesses. I'm sharing my honest thoughts, not tainted by anything having to do with Chubb.

I might not be as impressed as others are, but I have no problem with Nelson and I'm respectforward to him being a dominant part of our line for a long time. 

Fair enough. can't disagree with anything you said. I do respect your opinion.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, stitches said:

Baldy's love affair with Big Q is entering a new phase... he just called him the best guard in football:

On that first play Q absolutely trucks that S, I almost feel sorry for him, almost.  

I also love the way he is there to congratulate the RBs on a good play or to help them up after a any run play.