Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brian Baldinger Analysis on Quenton Nelson

DaveA1102

1 minute ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Thanks for posting.

Nelson's ability to come off a double team and make and effective block is what separates him from the rest of the guards in this draft, and most of the guards in the NFL.

Yah, he had great chemistry with McGlinchey in Notre Dame on the double followed by plowing through the linebacker and he's starting to create similar chemistry with Kelly and Castonzo... Before the season started I predicted that we will have a top 10 offensive line by the end of the season and I kind of feel vindicated, even though it didn't happen the way I imagined it would(I thought Smith will be the guard and Haeg or Good will be RT)... it's arguably even more impressive that the OLine is having the success they are having in the way they are having it with a rookie at RT and Glowinski at RG. 

• Like 4

Pure power, toughness, and an absolute finisher. I love that he drives people to the ground just to reiterate who's boss. He's this good as a ROOKIE. 

He wore that black war paint on Sunday, and I hope he wears it every week from now on. 

Mack, Wilkins and Hines better be taking the big fella (and the rest of the O-Line) out for steaks after last week. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Out of curiosity, who does Nelson remind anyone past or present? I’ve been watching football a long time and I say Bruce Matthews.

Mathews is a good comparison. 

To me, he reminds me of the Colts own Steve McKinney (before he went to Houston and became a center) had that same blend of power and agility.

Hey man, I also want to apologize for my post the other day, I read a few posts of your that day and they rubbed me the wrong way and I over-reacted and did not consider your body of work, so I apologize.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

Over 2 minutes of analysis for you all to enjoy.

Love Baldy's twitter and even better when it's one of our own in focus.  He has done a few on Leonard too.

I just saw this a little bit ago, thanks for sharing. Anyone who still takes issue with the Nelson pick has to be in the minority at this point, the guy's a stud, plain & simple.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Pure power, toughness, and an absolute finisher. I love that he drives people to the ground just to reiterate who's boss. He's this good as a ROOKIE. 

He wore that black war paint on Sunday, and I hope he wears it every week from now on. 

Mack, Wilkins and Hines better be taking the big fella (and the rest of the O-Line) out for steaks after last week. 

I gotta think Luck would be the one footing that bill haha.

2 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

Who says you can't draft a guard at #6?  This guy is and will be a difference maker for many, many years.  So glad we have him wearing the shoe!

I know it was crazy and against the grain but I even wanted him at 3. The fact we got Smith & Leonard also is fricken ridiculous 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

Nah. I was never against Nelson. I just expected him to be playing better since a premium pick was used on a non premium position. You and others flamed me because I said he should be playing at a high level right away.

One, that's your opinion that it's not a premium position. 

Two, he is. 

C, I'm still ecstatic with the pick

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, PeterBowman said:

scary thing is that he's just a pup and will only get better.........and stronger.

Would love to see him go against Aaron Donald at some point. That would be a hell of a battle.

Our boy would get baptized by fire. Donald is a monster in his own league. I know Q will become a monster eventually. But as a rook, a first time matchup with Donald will not be pretty.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Calmack said:

Our boy would get baptized by fire. Donald is a monster in his own league. I know Q will become a monster eventually. But as a rook, a first time matchup with Donald will not be pretty.

That's what everyone was saying before the week 1 matchup vs Geno Atkins as well. Donald would definitely have some plays where he'd get the best of Nelson, but I don't think it'd be as 1-sided as you're making it sound.

4 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

Sunday was his best performance to date. Let’s hope he uses that as a stepping stone 

He's literally been doing this every week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterBowman said:

also for those who say you don't take a guard at 6.......times have changed, the elite pass rushers and game wreckers don't just come from the outside....they come from the interior now too. Elite guards are getting paid like elite LTs for that reason now as well.

I don't think that's really true. Nate Solder got more money/year than both Martin and Norwell...and he is just an average LT.  Taylor Lewan's contract pays him almost $3M/year than Norwell. Gs are important...but OTs are still the most important.

But many positions are getting a lot more money than before. And this is especially true on offense...as the NFL transitions into an even more offense-friendly game.  

Just look at WRs...or even RBs. Most people don't want to invest resources into those position...yet if we are basing it off salary increases, then the Colts probably should be targeting those positions.

Q has to get his hands and feet synced up, and stay balanced. His losses and penalties come when he's not in proper position (no big surprise there). We all knew he had some technical refinements to make, and assuming he gets those figured out soon, he'll be a monster. He's already a top level run blocker. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

That's what everyone was saying before the week 1 matchup vs Geno Atkins as well. Donald would definitely have some plays where he'd get the best of Nelson, but I don't think it'd be as 1-sided as you're making it sound.

He's literally been doing this every week.

Atkins is no where in the league of Donald.

2 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I just saw this a little bit ago, thanks for sharing. Anyone who still takes issue with the Nelson pick has to be in the minority at this point, the guy's a stud, plain & simple.

I think there is a pretty big difference between "taking issue" with the Nelson pick...and just disagreeing with the strategy of taking Nelson (or any G) that high in the draft. I am sure (or I would hope) you won't find one person that is unhappy that Q is the Colts LG.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Atkins is 3 years older, so maybe a 1/2 step slower, aside from that they look pretty similar to me:

http://www.nfl.com/player/aarondonald/2543485/profile

http://www.nfl.com/player/aarondonald/496762/profile

Surely a good poster like you knows simply looking at the stats doesn't tell the whole story right? 

12 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Aren't they each in the National Football League?

Not too sure. I'd have to double check on that. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Calmack said:

Surely a good poster like you knows simply looking at the stats doesn't tell the whole story right? 

Not too sure. I'd have to double check on that. 

They don't always tell the whole story, but sometimes they provide a good enough baseline of info to form an opinion, plus I've seen them both play. They're both menaces in their own right, I'm just not convinced that Atkins is a scrub compared to Donald, I know that simply isn't true.

4 hours ago, RollerColt said:

He is the embodiment of exactly the type of players that Ballard and Reich want.

Tough. Physical. Hard working. Team player. No quit. Always finish. 

He is always the FIRST one there at the end of the play to protect and help our guy up.  He kind of blocks out the opponents standing around our downed ball carrier too.  I'm waiting for someone to push our guy around at the end of a play just to see what he would do.  Maybe that is why opponents arent harrassing our guys at the end of a play too.  They see what he does to an opponent when he's NOT mad.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

Love Baldy's twitter and even better when it's one of our own in focus.  He has done a few on Leonard too.

I LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

Nah. I was never against Nelson. I just expected him to be playing better since a premium pick was used on a non premium position. You and others flamed me because I said he should be playing at a high level right away.

How do you like one sack in 3 games...sometimes you have to see the forest through the trees!

7 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

Hulk Smash!

45 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I think there is a pretty big difference between "taking issue" with the Nelson pick...and just disagreeing with the strategy of taking Nelson (or any G) that high in the draft. I am sure (or I would hope) you won't find one person that is unhappy that Q is the Colts LG.

Brad Wells.....but I don't think he counts as a person.