Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Official Ballard IS Impressing Me Thread

Trueman

1 minute ago, Myles said:

It is a combo.   No question that the O-line is better than it had been in years.   It should be, Ballard invested a couple high picks on it.   He did what he needed to do and did it well.   

Can anyone remember the last time the Colts rushed for over 100 yards and allowed 0 sacks for 2 games in a row?

Scheme change will do that.  Which is the point of changing schemes.

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

So if this is the first game in a long time we had a 100 yard rusher, how come nobody is crediting Glowinski?

There is a thread doing just that.  

The O-line is much better and it is apparent to everyone except you.  

1 minute ago, Myles said:

There is a thread doing just that.  

The O-line is much better and it is apparent to everyone except you.  

I never said it wasn't better.  Glowinski made a huge difference this past week.

We sign a UDFA G and we get our 100 yard rusher.  I see that a lot in the NFL.

5 minutes ago, Myles said:

While the cap situation wasn't in ruins when Ballard took over, he has given us more room under the cap while making the team better.

Overall, he replaced an expensive man corner in VD with inexpensive zone corners.  Scheme change allows him to do that.

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Overall, he replaced an expensive man corner in VD with inexpensive zone corners.  Scheme change allows him to do that.

Ballard also has not done some of the high priced things Grigson did.   Like having Andre Johnson as the second highest paid player behind Vonte Davis.  

Don't forget the other high paid players:

Arthur Jones at #4

Trent Cole at #6

Greg Toler at #8

Just now, Myles said:

Ballard also has not done some of the high priced things Grigson did.   Like having Andre Johnson as the second highest paid player behind Vonte Davis.  

Don't forget the other high paid players:

Arthur Jones at #4

Trent Cole at #6

Greg Toler at #8

Meh.  Team friendly cuttable contracts.  Jones got hurt.  

The only contracts the Colts have erred on in the past decade were the Gary Brackett, Dallas Clark, and Kelvin Hayden contracts.  Oh, and the Dwayne Allen re-sign of course.

After 2 seasons, Grigson was 4 million $$ over the cap.

They were under when he started.  

When he left, the Colts were 8 million $$ under, so he did get it back in line.

Ballard started 8 million $$ under and is not 53 million $$ under.

Granted, the cap has gone up quite a bit.  

To me it gets down to GRigson not able to fix the offensive line causing Luck to get hurt.   Ballard has the line in good shape already with 2 rookie starters.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Myles said:

After 2 seasons, Grigson was 4 million $$ over the cap.

They were under when he started.  

When he left, the Colts were 8 million $$ under, so he did get it back in line.

Ballard started 8 million $$ under and is not 53 million $$ under.

Granted, the cap has gone up quite a bit.  

To me it gets down to GRigson not able to fix the offensive line causing Luck to get hurt.   Ballard has the line in good shape already with 2 rookie starters.   

What?  He had Polian's dead cap money, as well as Freeney for $14m.  Then signed FAs at cuttable contracts in case we didn't get to the SB.  

The point is that Ballard's caps space was inherited.  Cutting the guys who are cuttable when you change schemes.  This isn't rocket science.

Luck got hurt because of poor coaching, and poor scheme. Period.

So the reason Luck isn't getting sacked is due to what?  Nelson? 

30 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I never said it wasn't better.  Glowinski made a huge difference this past week.

We sign a UDFA G and we get our 100 yard rusher.  I see that a lot in the NFL.

Mack practically had a similar game last week in his first full game healthy... and we attribute it to a guard that we picked up? How about crediting Mack for having great vision and for the first consistent offensive line opening up running lanes as a collective unit, instead?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Originally he hired pagano.   That was his coach. 

Glowinski wss drafted in the 4rh round 3 years ago

Then why did he "meddle" during the first contract if liked him so much?  

Pagano was a fan favorite, an Owner favorite, and had a perennial playoff team.  But he still sucked as a coach, and RG knew it.

2 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Mack practically had a similar game last week in his first full game healthy... and we attribute it to a guard that we picked up? How about crediting Mack for having great vision and for the first consistent offensive line opening up running lanes as a collective unit, instead?

I thought one player single handidly transformed the offense.  Sorry.

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Pagano was a fan favorite, an Owner favorite, and had a perennial playoff team.  But he still sucked as a coach, and RG knew it.

Ryan Grigson sucked as a GM as well.   

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

He was hired by Grigson and retained by Grigson.  Not many GMs get 5 years and have the HC survive employment with the franchise while you get fired.  But these were extenuating circumstances.  But if you are understanding that Grigson did not, at any point hire Pagano and retain him throughout his tenure, you have missed the mark.  Grigson hired him and could have fired him, at any point.  And if there was ever a point he could have fired him and didn't, that ship sailed the moment Grigson and Pagano were extended.  Maybe even a little bit before that when Irsay got to the bottom of their problems with one another.

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

Ryan Grigson sucked as a GM as well.   

That's fine.

I didn't mean to crash the Ballard Bohner Party and be a buzzkill.  I simply wanted to comment some favorable things that didn't even make sense.

Carry on.

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

What?  He had Polian's dead cap money, as well as Freeney for $14m.  Then signed FAs at cuttable contracts in case we didn't get to the SB.  

The point is that Ballard's caps space was inherited.  Cutting the guys who are cuttable when you change schemes.  This isn't rocket science.

Luck got hurt because of poor coaching, and poor scheme. Period.

So the reason Luck isn't getting sacked is due to what?  Nelson? 

A much improved O-line.   Yes Nelson is part of it.   So is Smith.  

Yes, the scheme is part of it too.  

We have all seen how much better the line is playing.   We see how Luck actually has time.   We see how they are creating holes to run through.  

• Like 1

Just now, Myles said:

A much improved O-line.   Yes Nelson is part of it.   So is Smith.  

Yes, the scheme is part of it too.  

We have all seen how much better the line is playing.   We see how Luck actually has time.   We see how they are creating holes to run through.  

I think Doug is related to Grigson.   He has a hard time when anyone is critical of him

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, OffensivelyPC said:

He was hired by Grigson and retained by Grigson.  Not many GMs get 5 years and have the HC survive employment with the franchise while you get fired.  But these were extenuating circumstances.  But if you are understanding that Grigson did not, at any point hire Pagano and retain him throughout his tenure, you have missed the mark.  Grigson hired him and could have fired him, at any point.  And if there was ever a point he could have fired him and didn't, that ship sailed the moment Grigson and Pagano were extended.  Maybe even a little bit before that when Irsay go to the bottom of their problems with one another.

Stop.  Just stop.  

Pagano didn't even coach his first year.

Then went to the playoffs each year, deeper each year until the AFCCG.

No GM is going to fire his HC under those circumstances.

If he liked Pagano after those years, what was the point of Irsay saying they are "joined at the hip".

During the next contract, or extension, or whatever it was, Irsay stuck Pagano with RG, and visa versa. 

Anything else is revisionist history.

7 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I think Doug is related to Grigson.   He has a hard time when anyone is critical of him

I was pointing out stupid things said about Ballard.  I mentioned Grigson because someone said Ballard was "stuck" with Pagano, which makes no sense.

If he's the GM, why couldn't he fire Pagano the first day he got here?  Why not?

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Stop.  Just stop.  

If he liked Pagano after those years, what was the point of Irsay saying they are "joined at the hip".

During the next contract, or extension, or whatever it was, Irsay stuck Pagano with RG, and visa versa. 

Well,   not really.   Irsay fired Grigson and kept Pagano for another year.   I think he knew the GM was the bigger issue

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Scheme change will do that.  Which is the point of changing schemes.

Have you watched the last two games?  Yes scheme will help but this O-line is playing as well as I have seen a Colts O-line play in a very long time.  Give credit where credit is due.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, DougDew said:

I was pointing out stupid things said about Ballard.  I mentioned Grigson because someone said Ballard was "stuck" with Pagano, which makes no sense.

If he's the GM, why couldn't he fired him the first day he got here?  Why?

Because Pagano was hired by Irsay, not the previous GM. 

Pagano was hired by Grigson.   He was then signed to an extension by irsay,  as was Grigson

If he's the GM, why couldn't he fired Pagano the first day he got here?  Why?

Irsay said, before starting the GM search, that Pagano would be the coach in '17 and the new GM he was going to hire would have to be on board with that.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

It does seem to be that way.  

When they drafted Nelson, we were saying that the upside is that Luck will have more time and he can run block well.    Both of those things are happening.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Stop.  Just stop.  

Which is why, responding to the bolded, I said the ship had sailed.  

And I fully understand no GM is going to fire the HC for making hte AFCCG.  I wouldn't have expected that to be the case.  But that's still the GMs decision until that decision is removed from your authority.  Grigson had that authority taken away from him when they were extended.  I'm not really sure what your hangup is.

7 minutes ago, J@son said:

Irsay said, before starting the GM search, that Pagano would be the coach in '17 and the new GM he was going to hire would have to be on board with that.

Irsay was just having a hard time firing a coach with a winning record.  That is something I can't hold against him after all the coaches the Colts have had since he took over the team.

10 minutes ago, J@son said:

And probably in all likelihood because of what the team had been through with Pagano (leukemia), coupled with the fact that it was clear to just about everyone that Grigson was the problem, at least as far as the non-football related issues.  Grigson was clearly the problem with the coaches.  He was also a problem to his own scouting and FO personnel.  

The very strange and exceptional circumstances brought on a very strange and exceptional result - the then GM was fired and the HC was guaranteed 1 year with the new GM prior to the search for said new GM.  

36 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I thought one player single handidly transformed the offense.  Sorry.

Evan Boehm was the guard they signed last week from the Rams practice squad.  He did not have much to do with the running game success.  Glowinski was drafted by the Seahawks in the 4th round and claimed off waivers by the Colts on Dec 18, 2017.

I think the Colts played up to the potential that most of us envisioned all along.  Injuries did hamper the process and I expect the Colts will improve with play and the return of a few players off IR next season.

Ballard signed a couple of free agents that made an impact and I salute him on keeping busy looking for ways to improve the team.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Evan Boehm was the guard they signed last week from the Rams practice squad.  He did not have much to do with the running game success.  Glwoinskiw as drafted by the Seahawks in the 4th round and claimed off waivers by the Colts on Dec 18, 2017.

Okay, he wasn't a UDFA, just waived from the Seahawks. 

I assume he was successfully claimed due to us being 3-13 last year and third in priority. 

Not sure he'd be here if we had a good enough record to make it to the playoffs last year, but you never know.

2 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

Let's win 8+ games before we make any declarations of progress comparatively with other regimes...until then, I'll enjoy the fact that I believe Ballard is building with solid principles that are likely to have a big payoff.

Why even compare?  Different paths, scheme's, and circumstances.  

Ballard is fine. 

Grigson was, then wasn't.  Polian was, then wasn't.

Okay, he wasn't a UDFA, just waived from the Seahawks. 

I assume he was successfully claimed due to us being 3-13 last year and third in priority. 

Not sure he'd be here if we had a good enough record to make it to the playoffs last year, but you never know.

What difference does it make?  Ballard is always busy looking for ways to improve the team.  We may not sign or trade for players who some think we should but Ballard is doing it his way. He is doing exactly as he said he was going to do.  He has Irsay's backing and I for one am glad.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

Let's win 8+ games before we make any declarations of progress comparatively with other regimes..

We would probably have to wait till next year for the 8th win.

I really just compare how I believe the team is trending to where the team was at 2 years ago.   I think the defense is better.   I know the O-line is better.   Overall, the team is younger and better with great potential going forward.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Fat Clemenza said:

Everything he's done, he told us he would do.  You might disagree with him, but you don't have to wonder why he did something if you've actually been listening to him. 

He said there would be no instant coffee, and he was right. The Colts' future is very bright, I think. 

Trueman, thanks for taking the time for that post!

Yes and no. He articulated his approach to team-building and overall philosophy. But that alone doesn't explain all the moves he's made. We're left to connect the dots in many cases.