Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Official Ballard IS Impressing Me Thread

Trueman

Everything he's done, he told us he would do.  You might disagree with him, but you don't have to wonder why he did something if you've actually been listening to him. 

He said there would be no instant coffee, and he was right. The Colts' future is very bright, I think. 

Trueman, thanks for taking the time for that post!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Awesome post @Trueman

A lot of research and looking back (or a great memory?). I think this years draft was a huge success by the looks of it so far, with 2-4 for certain starters and 2-3 rotational players and special teams players. The FA pickups have also been good like you mentioned. 

This thread deserves an orange like banner :thmup:

• Like 1

Great post @Trueman! Our 2018 draft was a madden draft from Ballard, and I mean that as a huge compliment. This team is already getting turned around, and we aren't even two years into the rebuild with Ballard. The whole team is either fixed or improved at every position besides WR. Way to put a positive spin on things!

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Great post @Trueman! Our 2018 draft was a madden draft from Ballard, and I mean that as a huge compliment. This team is already getting turned around, and we aren't even two years into the rebuild with Ballard. The whole team is either fixed or improved at every position besides WR. Way to put a positive spin on things!

WR I agree.  He can fix that with Cooper.  That's why he called the Raiders. 

• Like 1

Actually the scouting staff is pretty much the same.  They were scouting a type of player last year to fit Pagano's scheme.  This year they were scouting for Ballard's scheme.  This was from an interview back when Frank got hired.  He said he was feeling good about this team because he knew almost everybody from his previous time hear.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Farns01 said:

He said he was feeling good about this team because he knew almost everybody from his previous time hear.

here*

sorry... ish :goodluck:

The front office was generally the same: Irsay family, Operations, facility staff, etc. The scouting staff is very different these days, and scouting based on the principles Ballard put in place. He didnt have the time to get that completely in place his first draft, as the college season was over and it was all building towards the draft.

• Like 1

I like Ballard, and I (mostly) believe in his stated vision and I think I understand why he's made the decisions he has. He's also doing a really good job with the media; inviting the reporters in after the draft was a masterful touch, and he just seems to get how to interact with them, which is good. 

But he's also made some decisions that didn't work out, and I think he could have been a little more active in free agency, especially at OL. 

End of the day, what will matter is how he reshapes the roster, and if he can continue to add good players and improve the level of talent on the team, top to bottom. How he drafts over a considerable period of time, how his coaching hire works out, how he handles his own free agents, etc., that's what matters to me.

So I stop short of claiming to be impressed by Ballard, so far. I don't have a problem with what he's doing, but I'm not impressed until the Colts have a solid roster, until our drafted players are commodities in free agency, and so on. I like him, but I'm not gonna lead his cheer section just yet.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Farns01 said:

Actually the scouting staff is pretty much the same.  They were scouting a type of player last year to fit Pagano's scheme.  This year they were scouting for Ballard's scheme.  This was from an interview back when Frank got hired.  He said he was feeling good about this team because he knew almost everybody from his previous time hear.

Nope.

2017 draft was April 27-29 . 

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2017/4/30/15493488/report-colts-fire-director-of-college-scouting-make-other-scouting-department-moves-chris-ballard

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2017/04/30/colts-gm-ballard-shaking-up-personnel-staff/101133126/

https://www.sportsnet.ca/?sn-article=colts-bolster-scouting-department-five-new-hires

I mean , I could go on. Just use google. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Farns01 said:

I don't keep up with the actual scouts, but I know a least a few have changed over the last four years. Don't know if Ballard made changes to scouts.

But we do know he ran the 2017 draft with Jimmy Raye, then hired Ed Dodds, Rex Hogan, Morocco Brown and Brian Decker after the draft. So there's been significant change in the front office, especially those who presumably work most closely with Ballard leading up to the draft. It's understandable that it might have affected Ballard's drafting from one year to the next.

• Like 1

@Trueman

That was one of the best breakdowns of what Ballard has done that I've seen anywhere.  Great to be able to go through everything chronologically, and I appreciate the details/context you provided as well.

I think your assessments erred on the positive side, but that's totally fair, given how young the team is.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

But he's also made some decisions that didn't work out, and I think he could have been a little more active in free agency, especially at OL.

Yeah, but what decisions , really? Everything that hasn't worked has been low-risk 1 year guys that didn't have cap implications. He's had escape routes on virtually every decision he's made. Which is really smart. 

As for not being active in free agency for OL , other than Norwell  ... who'd you really want? He drafted two big time guards , and likely mimicked the production with younger/cheaper (and possibly even better) players going forward. 

Our O-Line is already on it's way to being vastly better than it's been in years , so I'm not sure why you'd complain about not addressing it in free agency. ...Unless you wanted him to sign someone in FA so he could treat the draft differently. Which , again ... I don't get. I know you wanted Chubb , but I mean.. c'mon... 

13 minutes ago, Superman said:

End of the day, what will matter is how he reshapes the roster, and if he can continue to add good players and improve the level of talent on the team, top to bottom. How he drafts over a considerable period of time, how his coaching hire works out, how he handles his own free agents, etc., that's what matters to me.

Right. And I believe that's what I'm looking at. 

Younger? Check
Cap flexibility? Check
Good drafting? Check
Good/measured FA? Check
Coaching? TBD , but it looks much better than what he inherited. 

It's impossible for me to look at anything that hasn't transpired. There's obviously stages to roster construction/development. And in phase 1 (aka cleaning up Grigson's mess) .. he's done a really good job. Phase 2 , aka building/developing the young core (stacking drafts) is still in progress. 

How he builds upon this is important for sure, but the evidence available deserves praise, imo. 

We'll get to a point where waiver claims won't be starters , and frugal free agents won't move the needle like we need it to , but in terms of building a base to work with , he's done a good job. A lot of GM's wouldn't have even done that. The temptation of having Luck would've caused a lot of other men to build another house of cards , which would've just put us back in the exact same quicksand. 

20 minutes ago, Superman said:

So I stop short of claiming to be impressed by Ballard, so far. I don't have a problem with what he's doing, but I'm not impressed until the Colts have a solid roster, until our drafted players are commodities in free agency, and so on. I like him, but I'm not gonna lead his cheer section just yet.

Yeah, that's fine. I think there's enough evidence (specifically with his drafts) that shows he's pretty damn good. But if you're a brass tax kinda guy and want a larger sample size , I understand that too. 

Personally, his philosophy is exactly in-line with how I'd approach things , so perhaps that's leading me to be a little too generous with my praise. 

One thing I like about this rebuild so far is that the bottom of the roster is absolutely better I feel. 

When needed, last minute additions or practice squad players contribute positively instead of being JAG's.

Finding guys like Mitchell, Jihad Ward (hopefully his injuries aren't as bad as it looked) and Glowinski shows me he can find decent depth. 

If he can somehow have a home run draft next year, Colts should make some legit noise in the AFC with 2/3 solid to big splash FA's added.

• Like 2

Honestly if you get a guy like Leonard and only Leonard every draft I would be happy then you add the other guys (not even mentioning our mauler with a mean streak at guard and the picks in the second round I think Ballard hit this last draft out of the park. If next year he hAs a draft 75% as good as this one, and we pick up a few good free agents we will be a contender for sure next year. 

3 hours ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

The OP did a nice job breaking it down and I don't disagree.  I think the Arrow is up. I do like point out that Pagano won 4 games with Jacoby Brisset and a weaker roster. I don't think Pags was a top flight coach, but he got bagged in hard here

To be fair, the colts had like the easiest schedule ever last season. Beat the browns and 9ers at home (who were both winless) and the Texans twice without Watson or watt.

And for what it’s worth, I never thought pagano was awful. Just average with an outdated system (although his onside kicks were pretty good haha)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, threeflight said:

6-17.

Six and seventeen.

Actually 2-5 with Luck, if you want to count last year when we had a backup QB in Brissett play all year and even Tolzien started a game then feel free to do so. For me it's tough to even count 2017 because Ballard didn't have the Coach he wanted or did he have Luck. He was still stuck with Chuck. I fully expect this team to win 6 or 7 games now. It won't reach the 9 I predicted but that is only because we gift wrapped wins to Cincy and Houston. That is a part of being young. Next season after another Draft and Free Agency I can see this team winning 9 or 10 games actually as long as Luck stays healthy, we get good production out of Mack and we can get another Good WR to pair up with Hilton. Our Division is weak too, we are only 1 game out of 2nd place and just 2 games out of 1st.

-It's better to be a Colts fan right now than it is a Jags fan as they were picked to go to the SB by everyone. They are 3-4 and floundering after all those top 5 picks for years. We have a franchise QB, they do not.

Ballard has been one of the best scouts in the league for years. He has been involved in some great draft classes going to the Chiefs and Bears back in the day. Absolute god send to one of the worst roster in the league 2-3 years ago. 

All we need now is consistency from the coaching staff and this whole bunch of youngsters melting into a team which is already happening and a blast to watch every sunday.

I mean this team never gives up and I love it!

6 hours ago, threeflight said:

6-17.

Six and seventeen.

I'm not sure how you expect a GM to be accountable for what he didn't do.  

Do you feel the team is worse than it was 2 years ago?   

I am incredibly impressed with Ballard.   The team is young and hungry.   We have an o-line that is protecting Luck and opening holes in a running game.   Been a long time since we have seen that.   We have cap space to use if Irsay gives the nod.  

Depth was the biggest issue for this team and it is better and will continue to get better.   We are getting good contributions from many backups.   TE, RB's, secondary, OL.  

Ultimately he seems to be hitting a lot more then he is missing.  Which if this continues should rebuild the team and have us winning games.  

This team had very little talent left after the Grigson years.  He just missed way too often in both FA and in the draft.  

• Like 1

Ballard's vision for the long term is second to none. He's going to build this team back into a perennial contender.

People that are saying he's bad just refuse to listen. Ballard's been upfront about his motives, and is doing exactly what he said he was going to do from the beginning. Him and Irsay have both commented that they are ok with a couple of years to rebuild to make it a long term successful franchise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Props to @Trueman for taking the time to make the post.

I definitely understand Ballard's vision and if this team ends up 6-10, I am not sweating about it since that is my expectation after losing a few winnable games. Ultimately, Ws are all that matter to me in 2019 and 2020. With a young team, when you win, you win emphatically but lose a lot of close games. That is showing in the results and the record with the two wins 21-9 and 37-5.

The vets or free agent talent will come, at least according to many proponents of Ballard. I will definitely wait till they come. Ultimately, this is a results driven business. When we beat the Patriots, even if it is at home, that would be the day I can clearly say that our talent has reached a good enough level to compete with the elite teams. The locker room culture, the GM-coach relationship, are all on the positive side, let us see if it results in more Ws. The direction is trending the right way but only time and results on the field will endorse their vision and implementation. 

Many thanks @Trueman

Great breakdown with lots of details.  Chris Ballard has been just what this organization needed after the last regime.  He has been transparent (as much as possible without giving out information that's none of our business before it's official) and has stuck to his guns.  He's had to make some tough decisions on players, but most have proven to be the right decisions.

Our future is VERY BRIGHT and I believe we got a glimpse of that yesterday.  A much improved OL opening holes for the running game and protecting our franchise QB.  Running backs who are young and multi-faceted.  An improved defense that includes lots of young talent.  A coaching staff that obviously prepares well, executes on the plan and adjusts when necessary.

I know the Bills are not great and are also dealing with injuries, but they have had an excellent defense this year and we picked them apart.

I'll take however many wins we can get this year, because I know this team will be making lots of noise in 2019 and beyond.

• Like 1

What a great thread!   Thanks for taking the time to do this Trueman!

One thing that people are giving him flack for is not being aggressive enough in free agency.

However, I think he handled free agency brilliantly.  He still got players that improved the team

ex.  Ebron, Autry, Slausen ( if healthy) even Grant  but going into next years off season we will be:

2018 Cap space: 52 million , 4th youngest team

and have two second rounder's as well as a compensatory 4th or 5th as well as possibly a compensatory  6th or 7th. 

If the goal is building toward a championship in a couple years as opposed to making the team a little better in the short term ( and it should be) then he has positioned us to do just that.

id like to see more sense of urgency.  we are wasting a great year by a good QB who may not come close to playing until hes 40

the bills are one of the worst teams in the league, and people think we over react to losses around here.  

10 hours ago, threeflight said:

6-17.

Six and seventeen.

This same lame argument AGAIN?!?

Then I will post this AGAIN:

Ryan Grigson 1st 3 seasons:  33-15

Tom Landry 1st 5 seasons:  18-46

Bill Walsh 1st 2 seasons:  8-24

Jimmy Johnson 1st 2 seasons:  8-24

Bill Belichick 1st 2 seasons:  13-19 w/ CLE ; 16-16 w/ NE

PLEASE tell us all how Ryan Grigson is the best GM out of that bunch...  :facepalm:

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Trueman said:

Drafted Nelson 6th overall -- Some may disagree due to positional value, but I think it was a great selection. Changed the complexion of our offense from Day 1 and will only get better. 

and cleaned our books up substantially. 

Scheme-change changed the complexion of our offense, not Nelson.

Ballard inherited extremely clean books.

13 hours ago, Superman said:

I don't keep up with the actual scouts, but I know a least a few have changed over the last four years. Don't know if Ballard made changes to scouts.

But we do know he ran the 2017 draft with Jimmy Raye, then hired Ed Dodds, Rex Hogan, Morocco Brown and Brian Decker after the draft. So there's been significant change in the front office, especially those who presumably work most closely with Ballard leading up to the draft. It's understandable that it might have affected Ballard's drafting from one year to the next.

Not only would the old front office change have an affect, but the offense and defensive scheme changes would have altered the types of players we would have brought in.  Ballard's made no secret about guys who were controversial departures because they weren't a fit in our scheme.  To me, it at least tells me that he's carries himself in a way that he knows what players are and how they will fit.  Time will tell if he is adept at doing that.

11 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Scheme-change changed the complexion of our offense, not Nelson.

It is a combo.   No question that the O-line is better than it had been in years.   It should be, Ballard invested a couple high picks on it.   He did what he needed to do and did it well.   

Can anyone remember the last time the Colts rushed for over 100 yards and allowed 0 sacks for 2 games in a row?

14 hours ago, Trueman said:

Right. And I believe that's what I'm looking at. 

Younger? Check

Agreed

Cap flexibility? Check

Inherited. Not created.

Good drafting? Check

2018 looks good.  2017 looks average at best.

Good/measured FA? Check

Mid-level FA for the scheme with team friendly contract.  Same as the past 5 years.

How can you err so badly to the positive?