Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Reich on the Hot Seat?

tucky89

1 hour ago, tucky89 said:

If this season ends in 4-12 or 3-13, is there a chance Reich gets fired? Personally, I don't believe he should be fired. This team needs continuity. Just asking if it could happen.

why would a coach his first year with a team still rebuilding be on a hot seat? that would be savage to be honest. i mean even the giants or cards wont fire there first year coaches either

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

No to answer your question, even we go 4-12 to 6-10 next season he won't be either. If he does bad in year 3, then yes. 

This year obviously no but if we are that bad next year, without major, major injuries, he should be gone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tucky89 said:

If this season ends in 4-12 or 3-13, is there a chance Reich gets fired? Personally, I don't believe he should be fired. This team needs continuity. Just asking if it could happen.

The question is silly.  Clearly he is not.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Finball said:

This year obviously no but if we are that bad next year, without major, major injuries, he should be gone.

The whole organization has been preaching patience, that this is a 3 year rebuild.  That does not jive with firing Reich in year 2.  Reich is here for the foreseeable future and I think that is a good thing.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

The whole organization has been preaching patience, that this is a 3 year rebuild.  That does not jive with firing Reich in year 2.  Reich is here for the foreseeable future and I think that is a good thing.

That doesn't mean that the it's acceptable if the team is terrible on year 2 (or 3 from the dat Ballard was hired). Clearly incompetent coaching staff went 4-12 with Jacoby Brissett as QB. Reich with Luck and better roster should be doing a lot better.

I'm very much willing to be patient but HC/GM better show that they are building something and know what they are doing. Being below 0.500 with a franchise QB and otherwise at least decent roster doesn't indicate that.

5 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

1) Can we get through year 1 to decide if they truly are terrible?  

2) Is the roster really a whole lot better?  How many WR's playing this year will be on the team in 2019?  Hilton and maybe Fountain?

3) I think Ballard's build through the draft approach is about patience.  I think his unwillingness to go deep into free agency is about patience.  I think doing anything 2 years in with Reich is not about patience. It would take coaching malpractice for him to be in any trouble after the 2019 season.

I agree, wish I could give you double LIKES. I always give a new GM or a Coach at least 3 seasons before I am real critical of them. The offseasons in 2019 and 2020 will tell us alot about where we are headed.

2 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

1) Can we get through year 1 to decide if they truly are terrible?  

2) Is the roster really a whole lot better?  How many WR's playing this year will be on the team in 2019?  Hilton and maybe Fountain?

3) I think Ballard's build through the draft approach is about patience.  I think his unwillingness to go deep into free agency is about patience.  I think doing anything 2 years in with Reich is not about patience. It would take coaching malpractice for him to be in any trouble after the 2019 season.

1) I said If, IF, we are terrible on year 2 as the post I was responding to originally said Reich is safe even if we are still terrible next year. Even if we finish well this year, there's no excuse to be awful next year without a ton of injuries. Even less of a excuse.

2) Next years roster should be quite a bit better than what we had last year. If not, Ballard has failed pretty badly. I'm not expecting SB, or even playoffs but improvement. Roster we have this year is also better IMO. Better OL, worse at WR but deeper and better DL along with better QB and LB.

3) I agree somewhat but Ballard has in some cases dug pretty deep into FA, it's just players haven't want to come here for variety of reasons.

I don't think he is even close to getting fired, Even though we are losing games, I have the coach I wanted to see take charge of the colts, he is aggressive minded and gets his players ready for the first half of the games as well as the second half, unlike the previous regime. We are also seeing halftime adjustments which I love, and even in those losses, with a lot of starters injured, we STILL are a competitive team.. and I as a colts fan am extremely excited to shed that soft, non aggressive label that these colts have had for years. So to some up, I am still proud of my Indianapolis Colts. 

I didn't expect the Colts with Reich to turn things around this season what so ever. However, one thing I believe Reich has brought to the team is a solid locker room and team climate. That's something I didn't see from Pagano. Another solid draft or two and hopefully add some FAs, this team will be trending upward again. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tucky89 said:

IMO, this isn’t even a legitimate question to ask. Frank has managed games and situations 1000% better than how Pagano managed the team and by a majority of fans on this forum and many writers, the team and the base is excited on the direction of this team as opposed to what many seen on anything Pagano did. Most coaches handed a garbage team like Reich was given is given a lot of rope to hang themselves and Frank has used up Zero rope so far.

its been clear so far this team decided to step back and build as opposed to add FA players and go for it, which most of us agree with. I think it would have been easier for the team to go out and add FA guys and choose splashy type draft picks for the now push instead of let’s get this plan to stock the trenches and build out from there over 1-3 seasons. 

Saying all that, knowing what this team is shaping into this season, despite the loses, if Ballard doesn’t supplement the roster with a couple big time FA guys along with another targeted draft this offseason, he may start getting the heat applied. I say that not to throw out the “build” plan rather I think we can see this team really isn’t too far away from competing at the high mark level again. Luck has proven he is back to the QB we hoped for, but still improving. Our oline is shaping up to be really solid and another position away from a top 5. The TE and #1 wr spot is solid. We get Cain back next year and hopefully he can continue his ascending skill set into next season that was derailed. We have a lb’er that is showing some really special skills and a foundation for the future. Honestly, if we could improve our cb situation, I believe we have enough to compete at a high level on this defense with everything else we have. It would certainly help out to have another pass rusher with the excitement that Turay brings as well, I love that kids play so far. He could turn into Mathis 2.0 imo.  

So no, Reich is the least of anyone’s concerns. He isn’t in any jeopardy whatsoever. 

The answer is a obvious NO.

But if/when it does happen WHO will replace him??

Outside of the Peyton era(Polian,Dungy,Mudd,Moore) our coaching hires have not been stellar.

A lot of us were hoping for a Harbaugh, Saban, Meyer type of hire. Instead we got pagano extended AND 2 seasons later Reich. I seriously doubt we ever get that Big High profile HC here.

So lets get him some talent and hopefully a better defensive scheme and see what he does with it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Finball said:

3) I agree somewhat but Ballard has in some cases dug pretty deep into FA, it's just players haven't want to come here for variety of reasons.

A variety of reasons?  I have to disagree with that comment.

Free agents are looking to get paid and the teams that offers the most get the players.

36 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

A variety of reasons?  I have to disagree with that comment.

Free agents are looking to get paid and the teams that offers the most get the players.

That's usually the case but didn't we offer more money for Poe, Melvin and Jensen at least? Might have been someone else I'm forgetting, maybe Jeffery? 

5 hours ago, Devildog said:

If their record gets worse every year then yeah. If they end up 4-12 this year and 3-13 next year and 2-14 or even another 4-12 or 3-13 after that, then there is something wrong and they both should be in the hot seat.

If we win only 2, 3, or 4 games in 2020 then they should BOTH BE GONE, not in the hot seat!

1 hour ago, Finball said:

That's usually the case but didn't we offer more money for Poe, Melvin and Jensen at least? Might have been someone else I'm forgetting, maybe Jeffery? 

Not sure I’m understanding you?

Are you saying the Colts offered MORE money to Poe, Melvin and Jensen and those players went elsewhere for less?   Jeffrey too?

I’m not aware of that happening even once.   I’ve never seen that claim made by any other poster.    You’re the first.

If I’ve misunderstood you, sorry...   feel free to clarify or explain.

19 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not sure I’m understanding you?

Are you saying the Colts offered MORE money to Poe, Melvin and Jensen and those players went elsewhere for less?   Jeffrey too?

I’m not aware of that happening even once.   I’ve never seen that claim made by any other poster.    You’re the first.

If I’ve misunderstood you, sorry...   feel free to clarify or explain.

It's mentioned by few posters in this thread

4 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

The only way I see Reich getting fired is if he shows complete incompetence on running the offense and refuses to give up play calling.  Don't see anything close to that at the moment.

Something Kevin Bowen said a few days ago is that Reich and his staff start working on blitz packages 10 days before each game. Through six games, Andrew Luck leads the league in pass attempts, is second in TD passes, and has the third lowest sack percentage among all qualifying QBs (50 attempts or more).

During the offseason, Reich repeatedly said he was not worried about pass protection, that they would make sure to keep the QB on his feet. So far, despite having a makeshift OL that has yet to start the same five players for consecutive games (maybe this week) and was missing the starting LT for the first five games, Reich's offense has done a good job of keeping the QB protected.

Reich is so far from showing incompetence running the offense that it's not even worth considering having him give up the play calling. 

This thread is astounding.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, Finball said:

That doesn't mean that the it's acceptable if the team is terrible on year 2 (or 3 from the dat Ballard was hired). Clearly incompetent coaching staff went 4-12 with Jacoby Brissett as QB. Reich with Luck and better roster should be doing a lot better.

I'm very much willing to be patient but HC/GM better show that they are building something and know what they are doing. Being below 0.500 with a franchise QB and otherwise at least decent roster doesn't indicate that.

Yes, we have Luck and yes he's a franchise QB but we lack talent at the receiver position. So my point is they shouldn't use the fact they have Luck as a reason we should have won more games. He's got to have someone to throw to besides TY. 

5 hours ago, MPStack said:

I didn't expect the Colts with Reich to turn things around this season what so ever. However, one thing I believe Reich has brought to the team is a solid locker room and team climate. That's something I didn't see from Pagano. Another solid draft or two and hopefully add some FAs, this team will be trending upward again. 

A very cultured statement, for sure. 

13 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

Yes, we have Luck and yes he's a franchise QB but we lack talent at the receiver position. So my point is they shouldn't use the fact they have Luck as a reason we should have won more games. He's got to have someone to throw to besides TY. 

We do have Ebron and Doyle along with decent scatbacks though injuries have hurt us there.

I also can't imagine the WR position not being addressed next offseason.

Right now the situation is bad for sure. I think our opponent tomorrow is the only team that has it clearly worse.