Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why we should destroy the Bills.

Lawrence Owen

On 10/17/2018 at 11:21 PM, Lawrence Owen said:

Too many people say Buffalo has this great defense.  They are 1 spot higher than us in sacks.  But our O-line is WAY better than there's. (that's something i've not said in YEARS!) We are 8th in NFL with 10 sacks given up...the Bills have given up 24...Good for 30th in the NFL.  

We average 4 ypc in the run game. (Mack is averaging over 5 ATM), Bills are averaging 3.6 YPC,..that is good for 29th in the NFL.  So, yeah..our O-line is WAY better.

So let's see if this vaunted Bills pass rush, which is why they are top 10 in the league in pass yards allowed, is able to get through our actual o-line that is finally whole.  They are not going to stop Luck...He's thrown against much better defenses than the Bills...and done it at a pro-bowl level the past 3 games.  The only thing stopping our passing game is our WR's.  And we may have Hilton back for this one.  And the way Mack was able to run VRS the jets,..i'm game.

BTW, our run defense is quietly 4th in the NFL in YPC at 3.7, So i'm really not worried to much about that part of our defense. 

It is our Passing defense that worries me.  It is the only thing IMO that can keep the Bills in the game. Derek Anderson was a decent starter for the Browns once upon a time...but then he self imploded. But hopefully since our pass rush may get our top lineman back in Hunt, plus a healthier Leonard...we may be able to get that pressure on Anderson that we was missing in the Jets game.  Any QB who can sit in a pocket for 4-5 seconds will find openings in a zone coverage.  Hopefully Hunt,Sheard, and Leonard can effect Anderson most of the game.

I'm not giving a prediction score wise...But i will say i'll be disappointed if we don't win by at least 2 scores.

Good call!

On 10/18/2018 at 12:18 AM, braveheartcolt said:

We've had a chance in EVERY game, even in N.E., but expecting a victory with Danny Dropsie, Freddie Fumble and Michael Muff as your Wide Receivers and Tippy Thomas at Tight End is folly. Folly I say!

Man i am glad those guys did not suit up today :)

On 10/17/2018 at 11:34 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Remember.....

This same Bills defense went into Minnesota and shutout the Vikings for nearly 60 minutes.

The Vikings scored a late TD to avoid being blanked.    Buffalo beat them 27-6.     The Bills are better than you think.

Just be happy with a solid win.

Solid enough for you? 

On 10/18/2018 at 12:35 PM, John Waylon said:

A QB we have literally 0 scouting information on in their offense with his personnel. 

If Anderson has a huge game don’t be surprised. 

We literally just saw what Osweiler did to the Bears Sunday. This scenario favors the QB, especially when they aren’t a Peterman “deer in the headlights” type. 

And Anderson started his NFL career in this very spot 11 years ago, ending the season with a Pro Bowl berth and a case for at least MVP consideration. 

He did have a huge game.  His stats nearly mirrored Lucks.  Literally. 0 td 3int  - 4 td 0 int.

My game plan against the Bills would have been very different. I'd have spread them out and thrown the ball... a lot.

After first watch, I think Reich called a really good game. I'm excited that they were able to run the ball effectively and keep the QB on his feet.

One of you statheads needs to tell us when was the last time the Colts gave up zero sacks and had a 100 yard rusher in the same game. I also wonder when was the last time the Colts won a game where the QB threw for so few yards.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

My game plan against the Bills would have been very different. I'd have spread them out and thrown the ball... a lot.

After first watch, I think Reich called a really good game. I'm excited that they were able to run the ball effectively and keep the QB on his feet.

One of you statheads needs to tell us when was the last time the Colts gave up zero sacks and had a 100 yard rusher in the same game. I also wonder when was the last time the Colts won a game where the QB threw for so few yards.

Not sure about those stats.. But Luck was only hit 1 time, and pressured 2ce the entire game.  1 sack in the past 3 games...plus the last 6 quarters with our running game, I think it is high time all those people who've said it's not the online, it's the quick passing scheme, need to re-evaluate their evaluations.  I pretty sure our o-line has finally gotten to where we've needed for years.  

There's a thread that said PFF ranks Colts o-line top 10, and majority of the posters were scoffing.  I think that PFF may be right.

12 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yep hard to invision in any world we rush for over 200 yds. Gotta say not much to complain about on either side of the ball. Not saying all our problems are fixed on the team but adding a pro bowl WR a starting LT and our ROY LB it is evident this is not the same Colts that lined up against NE.

16 minutes ago, Superman said:

Man I can't even answer that regarding the zero sacks and 100 Yard rusher. That is a great question.

1 minute ago, John Waylon said:

Somehow I doubt you bat 1.000,

but I trust you’ll keep track since you apparently have the time. 

No-one bats 1.000, but i try to look at teams personal grouping and see who matches up with whom.  I'm not always right, especially when we have the most drops in the NFL coming into this game, (which i did not expect.). But this 1 single game seemed blaringly obvious to me.

1 hour ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Solid enough for you? 

He did have a huge game.  His stats nearly mirrored Lucks.  Literally. 0 td 3int  - 4 td 0 int.

Of course, it's solid enough for me.    And for everyone.

But let's not pretend that Buffalo wasn't starting their 3rd string QB who has only been with the franchise for 8 days....   Let's not forget that.

Now I'm looking for the Colts to do this again next week in Oakland.    I'd take being 3-5 at the break.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Of course, it's solid enough for me.    And for everyone.

But let's not pretend that Buffalo wasn't starting their 3rd string QB who has only been with the franchise for 8 days....   Let's not forget that.

Now I'm looking for the Colts to do this again next week in Oakland.    I'd take being 3-5 at the break.

That QB didn't play defense.  As i said earlier, Everyone was so high on Buffalo's defense, but With the return of our #1 WR, #1 RB, AND #1 OT I knew we'd roll over them offensively.  (but i didn't expect over 220 yards on the ground, i figured 150ish....and 250 in the air...i'll admit it was a bit more skewed in the run dept that i figured...but not too much..)

And yes,...if our players stay healthy i hope to do the same against the Raiders.  I'll need to get in depth on them next and see what i see.

On 10/17/2018 at 9:21 PM, Lawrence Owen said:

Too many people say Buffalo has this great defense.  They are 1 spot higher than us in sacks.  But our O-line is WAY better than there's. (that's something i've not said in YEARS!) We are 8th in NFL with 10 sacks given up...the Bills have given up 24...Good for 30th in the NFL.  

We average 4 ypc in the run game. (Mack is averaging over 5 ATM), Bills are averaging 3.6 YPC,..that is good for 29th in the NFL.  So, yeah..our O-line is WAY better.

So let's see if this vaunted Bills pass rush, which is why they are top 10 in the league in pass yards allowed, is able to get through our actual o-line that is finally whole.  They are not going to stop Luck...He's thrown against much better defenses than the Bills...and done it at a pro-bowl level the past 3 games.  The only thing stopping our passing game is our WR's.  And we may have Hilton back for this one.  And the way Mack was able to run VRS the jets,..i'm game.

BTW, our run defense is quietly 4th in the NFL in YPC at 3.7, So i'm really not worried to much about that part of our defense. 

It is our Passing defense that worries me.  It is the only thing IMO that can keep the Bills in the game. Derek Anderson was a decent starter for the Browns once upon a time...but then he self imploded. But hopefully since our pass rush may get our top lineman back in Hunt, plus a healthier Leonard...we may be able to get that pressure on Anderson that we was missing in the Jets game.  Any QB who can sit in a pocket for 4-5 seconds will find openings in a zone coverage.  Hopefully Hunt,Sheard, and Leonard can effect Anderson most of the game.

I'm not giving a prediction score wise...But i will say i'll be disappointed if we don't win by at least 2 scores.

Nice call.  This game was fun to watch.

2 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Not sure about those stats.. But Luck was only hit 1 time, and pressured 2ce the entire game.  1 sack in the past 3 games...plus the last 6 quarters with our running game, I think it is high time all those people who've said it's not the online, it's the quick passing scheme, need to re-evaluate their evaluations.  I pretty sure our o-line has finally gotten to where we've needed for years.  

There's a thread that said PFF ranks Colts o-line top 10, and majority of the posters were scoffing.  I think that PFF may be right.

As one of those 'quick passing scheme' guys, the point was always that with a bad offensive line, asking them to pass block for a long developing passing scheme was problematic. 

And predictably, now that Andrew Luck is throwing the ball quickly, there's less pressure on the OL, less pressure on the QB, fewer sacks and hits. I'd argue that the OL is benefiting from the scheme as much, if not more than, the offense benefiting from good line play. Not to take away anything from the OL, but taking pressure off of the pass protectors is just good strategy.

They do deserve credit for good run blocking today.

I would offer some caution, though. After the Eagles game, some were crowning the defense. Then we couldn't stop the Texans, got shredded by the Pats, and let Darnold complete 80% of his attempts. That was a premature declaration, to say the least.

Just saying, I'd like to see the OL sustain a high level of play before we start to claim the line is fixed. That's protecting and run blocking.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2018 at 10:21 PM, Lawrence Owen said:

You called this one, your reasons were pretty much spot on as well.