Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Interesting Read About The Receivers

Tombstone

About those drops

After the Colts littered MetLife Stadium with five or six more dropped passes, Reich admitted the obvious: “It’s been an issue and it’s past the point of, “OK, that was a fluke.’’

Sirianni agreed. Pro Football Focus charted the Colts with 15 drops in the last three games. Some guesstimates are as high as 18.

“Everybody’s aware of it,’’ Sirianni said. “Yeah, we all know it’s a problem. We just have to keep coaching the fundamentals. We’re on them about fundamentals.

“We’ll just keep throwing the ball to them in practice. They have to go out and do it. They know that. Nobody wants to catch the ball more than the guy who’s got the name on the back of his jersey and the Colt symbol on his helmet.’’

Daily practice requires each receiver to go through an 85-catch circuit.

“Just different types of catches,’’ Sirianni said. “Now we’re requiring them to get on that JUGS for a little more.

“We all know this is a problem we have to fix. We know it’s an issue. We know as a group – players and coaches – we have to fix it.’’

You can follow Mike Chappell on Twitter at @mchappell51.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Tombstone said:

About those drops

After the Colts littered MetLife Stadium with five or six more dropped passes, Reich admitted the obvious: “It’s been an issue and it’s past the point of, “OK, that was a fluke.’’

Sirianni agreed. Pro Football Focus charted the Colts with 15 drops in the last three games. Some guesstimates are as high as 18.

“Everybody’s aware of it,’’ Sirianni said. “Yeah, we all know it’s a problem. We just have to keep coaching the fundamentals. We’re on them about fundamentals.

“We’ll just keep throwing the ball to them in practice. They have to go out and do it. They know that. Nobody wants to catch the ball more than the guy who’s got the name on the back of his jersey and the Colt symbol on his helmet.’’

“Just different types of catches,’’ Sirianni said. “Now we’re requiring them to get on that JUGS for a little more.

“We all know this is a problem we have to fix. We know it’s an issue. We know as a group – players and coaches – we have to fix it.’’

Fix it by cutting them

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Tombstone said:

About those drops

How do you fix 'no talent' ?

• Like 1

It stinks that they’ve had so many drops, and I’m sure no one feels worse than they do.

As fans, we’re upset, but I hope they do get it together for their sake. They’ve worked too hard to get here and to have these mental mistakes take away from their opportunity to support themselves and their families really sucks.

I’m pulling for them to have big games.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

The question is why are they dropping them?  Scared of getting hit?  Tired? Looking ahead to make a big play? Small hands? Sweaty and slippery  hands?  Shouldn’t be playing at this level?  Luck throws a tough ball to catch? 

I always wonder if it has to do with how luck throws the ball.  They have the hardest time with short throws like rb and wr screens.

1 hour ago, our_dbs_rock said:

I always wonder if it has to do with how luck throws the ball.  They have the hardest time with short throws like rb and wr screens.

Yes, it all on Luck. Nothing to do with the WR's. In fact, when Luck is just about to release the ball, a small jet of oil squirts from his index finger, smearing the ball in a light film making it hard to catch. Are those darn coaches blind......

30 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

Yes, it all on Luck. Nothing to do with the WR's. In fact, when Luck is just about to release the ball, a small jet of oil squirts from his index finger, smearing the ball in a light film making it hard to catch. Are those darn coaches blind......

You saw that also?...i thought it was just me...

Plus..you know..all that heat he puts on the ball. No-one can catch the ball when it's coming at you so fast -.-

(jokes aside, He has been putting more velocity on the ball when he wants too.  But sometimes i think he should so WR's have that extra moment to turn and make a play.  But he's probably more worried about them catching it.)

13 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

You saw that also?...i thought it was just me...

Plus..you know..all that heat he puts on the ball. No-one can catch the ball when it's coming at you so fast -.-

(jokes aside, He has been putting more velocity on the ball when he wants too.  But sometimes i think he should so WR's have that extra moment to turn and make a play.  But he's probably more worried about them catching it.)

Run, separate, catch, secure, run upfield. In that order. 

5 hours ago, Stephen said:

Fix it by cutting them

I agree. Anyone not named TY, ebron and Doyle should be cut after multiple drops. They aren’t talented enough to ignore their lack of catching ability unlike Ebron for example. There are tons of guys more talented than what we have who are waiting to get a chance

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

I agree. Anyone not named TY, ebron and Doyle should be cut after multiple drops. They aren’t talented enough to ignore their lack of catching ability unlike Ebron for example. There are tons of guys more talented than what we have who are waiting to get a chance

Name them please. And don't say Dez. And some evidence that they would come here if we offered them a shot. I'm asking out of ignorance, not having a pop at you.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

Name them please. And don't say Dez. And some evidence that they would come here if we offered them a shot. I'm asking out of ignorance, not having a pop at you.

I’m thinking more of UDFA guys without big names. One guy that comes to mind is Jordan Leslie. He’s bounced from practice squads and played well anytime he’s gotten a shot. He’s got great hands and that’s what we need. I remember him from the game against the Browns last year, and he also made espn top 10. This happened to be on our best corner last year.

We don’t necessarily need him, but we do need guys that have sure hands. That’s how Belichick does it. He’s known for always having unathletic white receivers. The one thing they all have in common is their catching ability.

To me, it almost appears as if they're surprised that the ball is coming their way.

"Oh he chose me! He chose me! Better not screw u--, d'aww... shucks..." 

I never played WR (Way too short), but even as a RB I was told to expect the ball every single play. They obviously know how to catch a ball, otherwise they wouldn't have made it this far. Maybe it's some sort of mental block situation? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Agree with most in this topic. You can’t coach hands. You either have them or you don’t. Replace all the receivers except Hilton, Doyle, and Ebron in the offseason.

I agree, you don't have to be an elite receiver to catch a fargin ball thrown in your hands. 

6 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

I’m unsure of the names but I think I’ve seen enough wide open drops from  Rogers already. He isn’t special with any one thing he does yet he continues to get new chances. At what point does the coaching say, we’ve given you several chances and you didn’t fix your drops issues and it’s costing us games. Time to make a change and a statement to the others. No yelling or screaming at the men to fix it, it’s the action. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I’m unsure of the names but I think I’ve seen enough wide open drops from  Rogers already. He isn’t special with any one thing he does yet he continues to get new chances. At what point does the coaching say, we’ve given you several chances and you didn’t fix your drops issues and it’s costing us games. Time to make a change and a statement to the others. No yelling or screaming at the men to fix it, it’s the action. 

We'll know when it happens.  I'm sure these subjects have been addressed and an event timeline discussed.  

Coaches like to coach... improve their players.  They'll move on when they feel it has become an uncoachable situation and the player(s) still don't show improvement.

• Thanks 1

They are not catching with their hands or coming back to the ball with their hands, and are letting it hit their bodies. Rogers is the biggest culprit, and Hines' drops are also attributed to the same. They don't seem to execute the difference between using the body for the shield while using your hands for the catch, and end up using the body for both the shield and the catch.

Concentration lapses plus poor technique across the board is what I see. Who is our WRs coach?

Edit: found it - https://www.colts.com/team/coaches-roster/kevin-patullo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

They are not catching with their hands or coming back to the ball with their hands, and are letting it hit their bodies. Rogers is the biggest culprit, and Hines' drops are also attributed to the same. They don't seem to execute the difference between using the body for the shield while using your hands for the catch, and end up using the body for both the shield and the catch.

Concentration lapses plus poor technique across the board is what I see. Who is our WRs coach?

Came in here to post THIS.  Almost all of their drops are chest drops.  The only guy I can remember who drop the ball who actually tried to catch it with his hands was Ebron.  That easy Hines TD where he jumped, it hit his chest.  A lot of those guys last week it hit their chest or arms.  No one is out there consistently catching with their hands.  That's a big part of the issue.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Patullo may be looking for another job post season unless his guys start catching with their hands. Inexcusable as a professional receiver to show such poor fundamentals.

25 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

Catching is probably the easiest thing a WR has to do, yet lots of receivers struggle with it. I think it’s not very coachable because you never see guys like Dez or Ebron all of a sudden get reliable hands

I’m pretty sure that Ebron had his drops issues up in Detroit from what I recall others saying when we signed him. All the measurable in the world but had drops when the team couldn’t afford to have them. He has had a couple here, along with a few of them that would have been tough catches or contested but he isn’t immune here either.