Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rashaan Melvin is surprisingly available


Recommended Posts

Wow!

Not a good thing when the HC publicly talks about a player like that.

Didn't his brother do something similar in Washington? If so, was it about RG3?

IF I'm correct, guess it runs in the blood.

 

Btw, I never really liked Gruden. Especially his hyped up personality, regardless if it was

genuine or for show.

 

And yeah, I'd bring back Melvin.

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Trueman said:

Gruden's doing the right thing tearing down that team. He inherited a disaster ,  no point in trying to bandaid it. 

I might even put Carr on the block if I were him.

Gruden himself might be the disaster.  Def Jamz you still want to sing his praise?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Although Gruden should not have said it publicly, the main issue for me is that the content of the comment implies Melvin might have a screw loose somewhere.  Combined with the fact he left a good offer here on the table.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Wow!

Not a good thing when the HC publicly talks about a player like that.

Didn't his brother do something similar in Washington? If so, was it about RG3?

IF I'm correct, guess it runs in the blood.

 

Btw, I never really liked Gruden. Especially his hyped up personality, regardless if it was

genuine or for show.

 

And yeah, I'd bring back Melvin.

 

 

They 

 

"Banged the table" for Gruden here

 

It's amazing what a Pagano Coach will do to a fan base 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Alex22 said:

 

They 

 

"Banged the table" for Gruden here

 

It's amazing what a Pagano Coach will do to a fan base 

 

Well I don't know if he's a good coach or not. I just didn't care much for his personality. I kinda thought it was for the camera?

 

But whatever, it certainly worked for him financially.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Eh. If they release him and he wants to come back on a decent deal maybe. 

 

I dont really want to trade anything for a guy who we just went through what we did with him. He didn’t want to put the effort into another year of earning a good deal. He’s struggled to live up to the cheap deal he did with the Raiders.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Trueman said:

Gruden's doing the right thing tearing down that team. He inherited a disaster ,  no point in trying to bandaid it. 

I might even put Carr on the block if I were him.

That team was 12-4 two seasons ago and would have won a playoff game if Derek Carr didn’t break his leg. 

 

Last season they took a step back, but that was mostly due to that Defense having no playmakers besides Khalil Mack, and I’m pretty sure that offensive line hit injuries.

 

I’m of the opinion that if Oakland kept things the same, and just addressed the issues they had, they could have been a competitive football team this year. Instead, Jon Gruden has come in, and in an attempt to turn it into ‘his team’, has made what should have been an elite team by now into a dumpster fire.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't he want $8m a year?

 

Would he be playing better than Moore and Desir so far this year?  I agree that he would be good to have available due to injuries but I would rather roll with who we have (Hairston been OK as well, Wilson still a significant question mark) and then look to FA and the draft next year.

 

We know who we are this year, Melvin at CB for a few mill won't make a difference.  He got 7 snaps on Sunday....SEVEN! That doesn't seem the type of guy that would add much for us.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It humors me to see all the venom directed at Gruden this season. He has come in and taken over the team and started the process of molding it into what he wants it to be, whatever it is that may be. 

 

And people are just losing their minds, flying out of their way to criticize and pronounce it DOA. 

 

All the while acknowledging “Ballard’s X year plan” and “Reich can’t turn the team into what he wants in 6 games” and saying the same thing about other spots around the league. Somehow everyone else doing it is ok, but Gruden doing it isn’t. 

 

200w.gif

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Reggie Mckenzie is a good GM, and I feel sorry for him. I think he drafted some great players and had the team going in the right direction. Gruden sure is putting his stamp on the team, and I guess we'll have to wait a few years to see if he's making the right moves. 

 

As far as Melvin goes, Ballard doesn't seem like the type of guy to pursue someone again after they essentially told him no to his initial offer.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

I think Reggie Mckenzie is a good GM, and I feel sorry for him. I think he drafted some great players and had the team going in the right direction. Gruden sure is putting his stamp on the team, and I guess we'll have to wait a few years to see if he's making the right moves. 

 

As far as Melvin goes, Ballard doesn't seem like the type of guy to pursue someone again after they essentially told him no to his initial offer.  

 

I think he's a good GM too and he rebuilt the Raiders pretty well considering the mess he inherited but he's had some big misses at the draft and things like not addressing the LB are black marks on his resume.

 

IIRC, some teams contacted Raiders about Reggie and his availability after the Gruden hire but he opted to stay. It's been clear since the Mack trade that he doesn't have anymore what he was promised when he was hired back in '12; complete control of tootball OPs. Gruden has that now.

 

12 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Wow!

Not a good thing when the HC publicly talks about a player like that.

Didn't his brother do something similar in Washington? If so, was it about RG3?

IF I'm correct, guess it runs in the blood.

 

Btw, I never really liked Gruden. Especially his hyped up personality, regardless if it was

genuine or for show.

 

And yeah, I'd bring back Melvin.

 

 

He did throw some shade at Cousins on his way out. If he has thrown his own player on the bus, it probably was RG3 but can't remember anything. He handled the Norman benching thing pretty well last week, compared to how his bro does it.

 

6 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

That team was 12-4 two seasons ago and would have won a playoff game if Derek Carr didn’t break his leg. 

 

Last season they took a step back, but that was mostly due to that Defense having no playmakers besides Khalil Mack, and I’m pretty sure that offensive line hit injuries.

 

I’m of the opinion that if Oakland kept things the same, and just addressed the issues they had, they could have been a competitive football team this year. Instead, Jon Gruden has come in, and in an attempt to turn it into ‘his team’, has made what should have been an elite team by now into a dumpster fire.

 

To be fair, there where plenty of red flags on that '16 Raiders team. They had lot of close score, comeback wins. They lacked playmakes on defense outside of Mack and had less than half dozen actually good defensive players on their roster, and they were almost all on their 2nd or 3rd contracts. Their OL was pretty healthy last year. Their starters missed 5 games combined.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, krunk said:

Gruden himself might be the disaster.  Def Jamz you still want to sing his praise?

Next time tag me so I know it’s real. But are we going to through a HC under the bus for having a bad 1st year? It’s clear the Raiders need a rebuild. And that’s just something Gruden has never got to see through till the end. We’ll see how he handles it now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, John Waylon said:

It humors me to see all the venom directed at Gruden this season. He has come in and taken over the team and started the process of molding it into what he wants it to be, whatever it is that may be. 

 

And people are just losing their minds, flying out of their way to criticize and pronounce it DOA. 

 

All the while acknowledging “Ballard’s X year plan” and “Reich can’t turn the team into what he wants in 6 games” and saying the same thing about other spots around the league. Somehow everyone else doing it is ok, but Gruden doing it isn’t. 

 

200w.gif

I for one never thought Gruden was a good coach but I acknowledge he is in the process of turning over the roster.  That being said, he would probably be taking less heat if he did not trade the best pass rusher in the NFL and follow that up with having the worst pass rush in the NFL.  I'm sure Ballard would be getting a lot more heat if he traded Luck then had the worst passing team in the league.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, John Waylon said:

It humors me to see all the venom directed at Gruden this season. He has come in and taken over the team and started the process of molding it into what he wants it to be, whatever it is that may be. 

 

And people are just losing their minds, flying out of their way to criticize and pronounce it DOA. 

 

All the while acknowledging “Ballard’s X year plan” and “Reich can’t turn the team into what he wants in 6 games” and saying the same thing about other spots around the league. Somehow everyone else doing it is ok, but Gruden doing it isn’t. 

 

200w.gif

 

Good points. Seems pretty hypocritical.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Hoose said:

Gruden is overrated and won’t last past year 3. Believes in his greatness for no apparent reason. 

Gruden may not last past year 3, but that fully-guaranteed $100 million contract means that his fat paycheck will keep arriving for the full ten years. No matter what happens, Gruden still gets the last laugh. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I for one never thought Gruden was a good coach but I acknowledge he is in the process of turning over the roster.  That being said, he would probably be taking less heat if he did not trade the best pass rusher in the NFL and follow that up with having the worst pass rush in the NFL.  I'm sure Ballard would be getting a lot more heat if he traded Luck then had the worst passing team in the league.

 

I have never been a huge Gruden lover either, but he has his system. He’s a guy who has proven he knows what he wants to do, he’s not just throwing stuff at the wall hoping something sticks. 

 

As as far as Mack goes I really feel like what led him to pulling the trigger is off the field. Maybe they just didn’t get along, maybe he wanted to root out Mack’s attitude and build an atmosphere like the Steelers have where it comes to holdouts and contracts. I don’t think he wanted to trade Mack from a production standpoint, but in the bigger picture it might have been a move to set a precedent. Being signed for the 10 years I think he wants to set out and build a certain culture with the team and I see the Mack trade going more towards that than anything else. 

 

But he’s still building something, and getting flack for it where everyone else is getting leiniency. There’s a heavy double standard going on. 

 

It also happened last week with Beckham and the dehydration issue. Literally the same week that went down NASCAR driver Kasey Khane was forced to retire early from the sport because of hydration issues in the car during races. There’s no way he should be dealing with hydration issues because drivers have a drinking system at all times during a race to keep them from facing those issues, and in spite of that he was still getting too dehydrated to drive the car safely. When the Beckham issue popped up people were just dumping on him “oh he needs to drink more” “there’s always water available on the sidelines” ETC, but it’s just not always that black and white. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Trueman said:

Gruden's doing the right thing tearing down that team. He inherited a disaster ,  no point in trying to bandaid it. 

I might even put Carr on the block if I were him.

What??????? That team had talent on it. Still does, he traded away one of the best players in the league. Far from a dumpster fire. It is now but it wasn’t 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

Colts fans who say they’re a dumpster fire have no room to talk. Don’t forget we are also 1-5 with a much worse defense. Gruden is overhauling the roster and has 2 extra 1st round picks from Mack. If he nails those everyone will say he is a genius. 

 

I think I like the Colts situation better than the Raiders.  The Colts have their issues and holes, but they are young and trending up IMO ... Raiders not so much.

 

Ballard gets overly criticized for releasing Hankins, Simon, etc ... He would get crucified if he did what Gruden is doing; getting rid of Mack, shopping Cooper, and probably looking to move on from Carr as well some of their other young players.

 

I knew Gruden would come in and put his stamp on things, but so far I am not impressed with his decisions. Those two first round picks sound good until you figure they have to use one to try to replace Mack, and the way things are going the other may end up going toward trying to find a QB (or one of the other young players he is looking to get rid of).

 

For $100 Million dollars the Raiders better hope he is a genius who hits on most of his draft picks and not just crazy and out of touch.
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Popular Now

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I’d say more like the love child of Emmitt and Earl Campbell.
    • Agreed. I noticed my mistake earlier. I knew it was Al Woods. I did not pay close enough attention to the fact it was Antwaun coming in for a visit and mistook the visit for actually being Al lol   Shoulda known better w the age and fit question marks lol 
    • For what it's worth I expect this Colts team to be a top 10 team too as we have a top 5 OL (even without a LT), a top 3 RB and what I think a top 5 Defense with our first 2 picks in the 2021 draft.  I understand the negativity of Wentz as our starting QB but any qb is as good as his supporting cast and the Eagles the last 3 yrs were atrocious to say the least.  He's an MVP caliber player at the position and I believe Jonathon Taylor is about to take the league by storm, much like Henry did with the Titans as their numbers are so scary similar.  Wentz wont be asked to be a superhero like this team did with Rivers and I hope this offensive staff sees what they have in Taylor as a top 2 back in the league and a real workhorse!  I feel that this team finally has a true #1 wr in Pittman to pair with a legit #2 veteran in Hilton to go along with Pascal and a number of 6'3 6th rd + hopefuls.  I didn't even mention Parris Campbell because he is so raw he doesn't know how to protect himself from falling or contact to prevent injury.  Fool me once or twice shame on me but a 3rd time, shame on you!  Very intrigued with the Granson kid as he looks like a Darren Waller type mismatch nightmare and all I need to know is the reaction from Coach Reich that he actually got HIS GUY in this draft.  You could tell by his reaction to the pick that this was his heart and soul of the 2021 draft.  Improved Defense, Improved Offense and what were all hoping is Improved coaching in critical games could = the #1 spot in the AFC.  Just like the coaching staff, these additions need to prove themselves first before we reach all our lofty goals but I like the fact we have a legit opportunity to be #1.  We have no weaknesses at any position which is crazy in todays NFL.  #inballardwetrust
    • I don’t see the future at LT.  Next year’s 2nd?    
    • Rookie LTs, even the highest drafted ones usually have a pretty rough learning curve. I bet Tevi can do a good enough job on this line.   The Fisher signing could be an absolute bargain, but even if he can’t play, we should be OK.  The oline will at the least be really good.  
  • Members

    • a06cc

      a06cc 464

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Nickster

      Nickster 930

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Fluke_33

      Fluke_33 2,765

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ponyboy

      ponyboy 67

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Shepman

      Shepman 171

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Caffrey

      Caffrey 146

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • TomDiggs

      TomDiggs 575

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • cbear

      cbear 396

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • CR91

      CR91 7,206

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Four2itus

      Four2itus 5,235

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...