Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rashaan Melvin is surprisingly available

Crunked

Wow!

Not a good thing when the HC publicly talks about a player like that.

Didn't his brother do something similar in Washington? If so, was it about RG3?

IF I'm correct, guess it runs in the blood.

Btw, I never really liked Gruden. Especially his hyped up personality, regardless if it was

genuine or for show.

And yeah, I'd bring back Melvin.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Trueman said:

Gruden's doing the right thing tearing down that team. He inherited a disaster ,  no point in trying to bandaid it. 

I might even put Carr on the block if I were him.

Gruden himself might be the disaster.  Def Jamz you still want to sing his praise?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Wow!

Btw, I never really liked Gruden. Especially his hyped up personality, regardless if it was

genuine or for show.

They 

"Banged the table" for Gruden here

It's amazing what a Pagano Coach will do to a fan base 

15 minutes ago, Alex22 said:

They 

"Banged the table" for Gruden here

It's amazing what a Pagano Coach will do to a fan base 

Well I don't know if he's a good coach or not. I just didn't care much for his personality. I kinda thought it was for the camera?

But whatever, it certainly worked for him financially.

Eh. If they release him and he wants to come back on a decent deal maybe. 

I dont really want to trade anything for a guy who we just went through what we did with him. He didn’t want to put the effort into another year of earning a good deal. He’s struggled to live up to the cheap deal he did with the Raiders.

6 hours ago, Trueman said:

Gruden's doing the right thing tearing down that team. He inherited a disaster ,  no point in trying to bandaid it. 

That team was 12-4 two seasons ago and would have won a playoff game if Derek Carr didn’t break his leg. 

Last season they took a step back, but that was mostly due to that Defense having no playmakers besides Khalil Mack, and I’m pretty sure that offensive line hit injuries.

I’m of the opinion that if Oakland kept things the same, and just addressed the issues they had, they could have been a competitive football team this year. Instead, Jon Gruden has come in, and in an attempt to turn it into ‘his team’, has made what should have been an elite team by now into a dumpster fire.

• Like 1

Didn't he want $8m a year?

Would he be playing better than Moore and Desir so far this year?  I agree that he would be good to have available due to injuries but I would rather roll with who we have (Hairston been OK as well, Wilson still a significant question mark) and then look to FA and the draft next year.

We know who we are this year, Melvin at CB for a few mill won't make a difference.  He got 7 snaps on Sunday....SEVEN! That doesn't seem the type of guy that would add much for us.

It humors me to see all the venom directed at Gruden this season. He has come in and taken over the team and started the process of molding it into what he wants it to be, whatever it is that may be. 

And people are just losing their minds, flying out of their way to criticize and pronounce it DOA. 

All the while acknowledging “Ballard’s X year plan” and “Reich can’t turn the team into what he wants in 6 games” and saying the same thing about other spots around the league. Somehow everyone else doing it is ok, but Gruden doing it isn’t. 

200w.gif

• Like 2

I think Reggie Mckenzie is a good GM, and I feel sorry for him. I think he drafted some great players and had the team going in the right direction. Gruden sure is putting his stamp on the team, and I guess we'll have to wait a few years to see if he's making the right moves. 

As far as Melvin goes, Ballard doesn't seem like the type of guy to pursue someone again after they essentially told him no to his initial offer.  

4 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

I think Reggie Mckenzie is a good GM, and I feel sorry for him. I think he drafted some great players and had the team going in the right direction. Gruden sure is putting his stamp on the team, and I guess we'll have to wait a few years to see if he's making the right moves. 

As far as Melvin goes, Ballard doesn't seem like the type of guy to pursue someone again after they essentially told him no to his initial offer.  

I think he's a good GM too and he rebuilt the Raiders pretty well considering the mess he inherited but he's had some big misses at the draft and things like not addressing the LB are black marks on his resume.

IIRC, some teams contacted Raiders about Reggie and his availability after the Gruden hire but he opted to stay. It's been clear since the Mack trade that he doesn't have anymore what he was promised when he was hired back in '12; complete control of tootball OPs. Gruden has that now.

12 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Wow!

genuine or for show.

He did throw some shade at Cousins on his way out. If he has thrown his own player on the bus, it probably was RG3 but can't remember anything. He handled the Norman benching thing pretty well last week, compared to how his bro does it.

6 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

That team was 12-4 two seasons ago and would have won a playoff game if Derek Carr didn’t break his leg. 

Last season they took a step back, but that was mostly due to that Defense having no playmakers besides Khalil Mack, and I’m pretty sure that offensive line hit injuries.

I’m of the opinion that if Oakland kept things the same, and just addressed the issues they had, they could have been a competitive football team this year. Instead, Jon Gruden has come in, and in an attempt to turn it into ‘his team’, has made what should have been an elite team by now into a dumpster fire.

To be fair, there where plenty of red flags on that '16 Raiders team. They had lot of close score, comeback wins. They lacked playmakes on defense outside of Mack and had less than half dozen actually good defensive players on their roster, and they were almost all on their 2nd or 3rd contracts. Their OL was pretty healthy last year. Their starters missed 5 games combined.

15 hours ago, krunk said:

Gruden himself might be the disaster.  Def Jamz you still want to sing his praise?

Next time tag me so I know it’s real. But are we going to through a HC under the bus for having a bad 1st year? It’s clear the Raiders need a rebuild. And that’s just something Gruden has never got to see through till the end. We’ll see how he handles it now.

3 hours ago, John Waylon said:

It humors me to see all the venom directed at Gruden this season. He has come in and taken over the team and started the process of molding it into what he wants it to be, whatever it is that may be. 

And people are just losing their minds, flying out of their way to criticize and pronounce it DOA. 

All the while acknowledging “Ballard’s X year plan” and “Reich can’t turn the team into what he wants in 6 games” and saying the same thing about other spots around the league. Somehow everyone else doing it is ok, but Gruden doing it isn’t. 

200w.gif

I for one never thought Gruden was a good coach but I acknowledge he is in the process of turning over the roster.  That being said, he would probably be taking less heat if he did not trade the best pass rusher in the NFL and follow that up with having the worst pass rush in the NFL.  I'm sure Ballard would be getting a lot more heat if he traded Luck then had the worst passing team in the league.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, John Waylon said:

200w.gif

Good points. Seems pretty hypocritical.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Hoose said:

Gruden is overrated and won’t last past year 3. Believes in his greatness for no apparent reason. 

Gruden may not last past year 3, but that fully-guaranteed $100 million contract means that his fat paycheck will keep arriving for the full ten years. No matter what happens, Gruden still gets the last laugh. 

48 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I for one never thought Gruden was a good coach but I acknowledge he is in the process of turning over the roster.  That being said, he would probably be taking less heat if he did not trade the best pass rusher in the NFL and follow that up with having the worst pass rush in the NFL.  I'm sure Ballard would be getting a lot more heat if he traded Luck then had the worst passing team in the league.

I have never been a huge Gruden lover either, but he has his system. He’s a guy who has proven he knows what he wants to do, he’s not just throwing stuff at the wall hoping something sticks. 

As as far as Mack goes I really feel like what led him to pulling the trigger is off the field. Maybe they just didn’t get along, maybe he wanted to root out Mack’s attitude and build an atmosphere like the Steelers have where it comes to holdouts and contracts. I don’t think he wanted to trade Mack from a production standpoint, but in the bigger picture it might have been a move to set a precedent. Being signed for the 10 years I think he wants to set out and build a certain culture with the team and I see the Mack trade going more towards that than anything else. 

But he’s still building something, and getting flack for it where everyone else is getting leiniency. There’s a heavy double standard going on. 

It also happened last week with Beckham and the dehydration issue. Literally the same week that went down NASCAR driver Kasey Khane was forced to retire early from the sport because of hydration issues in the car during races. There’s no way he should be dealing with hydration issues because drivers have a drinking system at all times during a race to keep them from facing those issues, and in spite of that he was still getting too dehydrated to drive the car safely. When the Beckham issue popped up people were just dumping on him “oh he needs to drink more” “there’s always water available on the sidelines” ETC, but it’s just not always that black and white. 

20 hours ago, Trueman said:

What??????? That team had talent on it. Still does, he traded away one of the best players in the league. Far from a dumpster fire. It is now but it wasn’t 

26 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

Colts fans who say they’re a dumpster fire have no room to talk. Don’t forget we are also 1-5 with a much worse defense. Gruden is overhauling the roster and has 2 extra 1st round picks from Mack. If he nails those everyone will say he is a genius. 

I think I like the Colts situation better than the Raiders.  The Colts have their issues and holes, but they are young and trending up IMO ... Raiders not so much.

Ballard gets overly criticized for releasing Hankins, Simon, etc ... He would get crucified if he did what Gruden is doing; getting rid of Mack, shopping Cooper, and probably looking to move on from Carr as well some of their other young players.

I knew Gruden would come in and put his stamp on things, but so far I am not impressed with his decisions. Those two first round picks sound good until you figure they have to use one to try to replace Mack, and the way things are going the other may end up going toward trying to find a QB (or one of the other young players he is looking to get rid of).

For $100 Million dollars the Raiders better hope he is a genius who hits on most of his draft picks and not just crazy and out of touch.