Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Stampede Blue on Ballard's lack of spending

LJpalmbeacher2

18 minutes ago, markabrown96 said:

Would a few bigger free agents make a difference this season? Or would they just be overpaid underperforming sitting on IR. 

Ebron is a Free Agent signing. He’s been a valuable addition. No reason to think that other young FAs couldn’t come in, adapt, grow with the team and help this team win now.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Ebron is a Free Agent signing. He’s been a valuable addition. No reason to think that other young FAs couldn’t come in, adapt, grow with the team and help this team win now.

Or they could turn out to be Andre Johnson.  I have no problem spending money in free agency if you have the right guy targeted but just spending money because you can is never a good idea.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Or they could turn out to be Andre Johnson.  I have no problem spending money in free agency if you have the right guy targeted but just spending money because you can is never a good idea.

Agreed.

But nowhere was I advocating spending money for the sake of spending money, or spending money on a 32 year old WR ala Andre Johnson. I specifically stated that I’m advocating for young free agents that can come in and grow with the team, while helping the team win now — a FA signing like Ebron.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Read it earlier today. They certainly put him on blast, but I think the writer was just to optimistic this season. 

The writer?  That wasn't even an article, didn't even cover the topic stated in the headline.....  just a random collection of Colt's related links.....  a large dab of weak sauce, as opposed to an "article"  lol.   Several good articles in the links, but let's not make the person who posted them out to be a writer, optimistic or not.....

45 minutes ago, markabrown96 said:

Would a few bigger free agents make a difference this season? Or would they just be overpaid underperforming sitting on IR. 

You target younger guys like Ebron when you're rebuilding the roster.  That accelerates the rebuild time.  Ballard knows that.  All of the players we're talking about now;  Bell, Cooper, and even Mack, when he was available, are young difference makers.  These are the type of players you go after.  Not over the hill guys like Bryant.  He has the cash to accelerate this rebuild.  He's making a mistake by letting these opportunities slip by IMO.  Year three is coming up.  Time to open up the vault and spend some serious money.  

• Like 2

The thing I've always hated about critical articles on GM's spending in any sport is you never know what input the owner has.

Just for arguments sake, the owner doesn't really want you to sign someone he dislikes, or doesn't feel like dishing out to much a certain year simply because of their own financial reasons (problems we'd never have as working class folks). 

For all we know this has been the plan all along, spend in year 3 after turning over the roster.

Personally, I was hoping last off-season would be slow for us. We certainly weren’t anywhere near contending then, we clearly needed another offseason to finish up. By saving our money, we are allowing ourselves a better draft pick and saving money for next years loaded free agency class. I applaud Ballard for not listening to the media and knowing how to handle himself. Now if he doesn’t get stuff done next offseason, I’ll start to get worried, but for now, he’s perfectly in line with my expectations

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

Personally, I was hoping last off-season would be slow for us. We certainly weren’t anywhere near contending then, we clearly needed another offseason to finish up. By saving our money, we are allowing ourselves a better draft pick and saving money for next years loaded free agency class. I applaud Ballard for not listening to the media and knowing how to handle himself. Now if he doesn’t get stuff done next offseason, I’ll start to get worried, but for now, he’s perfectly in line with my expectations

That is the thing, it depends on the quality of free agents that become available. A bird in hand is worth more than two in the bush, that is my thinking at least. I wouldn't get my hopes up for 2019 off season.

• Like 2

Ballard never believed in this 2018 colts team which is why we have the worst roster!  2nd most cap space yet didn’t sign one difference maker!  Maybe he wasn’t sure that LUCK would come back 100% or Darious Leonord would turn out to be an ALL American but one thing is sure they didn’t go all in for 2018!  I get that, to many unknowns for this season but little did he know we’re a few plays from being 5-1 instead of 1-5.  If we only spent some cap on playmakers but it’s obvious we don’t want to win in 2018??  Colts forfeited 2018 & Fans should be ANGRY

• Like 4

2 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

None of this is a surprise to Chris Ballard.     The kids he has have to play.

He's willing to lose games this year so he can win more games down the road.   2018 was never in the plans.    But 19 and 20 and 21 and beyond very much are.

Media writing these stories literally do not understand what he's doing.     But just because they don't get it,  doesn't mean we shouldn't get it.      

You don't have to like it,   but at least understand it.   Ballard has explained himself on multiple occasions.    He's not keeping this a well guarded secret.

No big spending until he's established the locker-room culture that he wants.....

One more off-season,  then things will change in 2020.     If they change this coming year,   then Irsay has changed his view and has ordered Ballard to speed up the timeline....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He's willing to lose games this year so he can win more games down the road.   2018 was never in the plans.    But 19 and 20 and 21 and beyond very much are.

Media writing these stories literally do not understand what he's doing.     But just because they don't get it,  doesn't mean we shouldn't get it.      

You don't have to like it,   but at least understand it.   Ballard has explained himself on multiple occasions.    He's not keeping this a well guarded secret.

No big spending until he's established the locker-room culture that he wants.....

One more off-season,  then things will change in 2020.     If they change this coming year,   then Irsay has changed his view and has ordered Ballard to speed up the timeline....

Ballard has exactly one more season or his head will be on a platter!!!!  If Colts don’t compete in 2019, fan base will be GONE

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, NDcolt said:

Ballard has exactly one more season or his head will be on a platter!!!!  If Colts don’t compete in 2019, fan base will be GONE

I don't think it's a matter of laying down. Ballard has to let the young guys play (his picks) so they get experience. Let Reich get a full season under his belt and let Andrew get a full season under his belt being healthy after missing a full season in 2017. Then I think he goes all out in the spring of 2019 in Free Agency and spends alot, perhaps even make a trade?? That is just how I see it for now. Like I posted earlier, judging a GM 1.5 years into his career isn't fair. I give him 3 years. I want to see what he does in this next offseason and how the team is next season before I start bashing the guy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NDcolt said:

... And then if they come out in 2020 and start winning the bandwagon will be full again. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't think it's a matter of laying down. Ballard has to let the young guys play (his picks) so they get experience. Let Reich get a full season under his belt and let Andrew get a full season under his belt being healthy after missing a full season in 2017. Then I think he goes all out in the spring of 2019 in Free Agency and spends alot, perhaps even make a trade?? That is just how I see it for now. Like I posted earlier, judging a GM 1.5 years into his career isn't fair. I give him 3 years. I want to see what he does in this next offseason and how the team is next season before I start bashing the guy.

Maybe, but 2019 doesn't look like a stellar FA group.  I wouldn't be surprised if 2020 is the year he is targeting for the big FA money spend.

• Like 3

So funny to read all that whining about playmakers, difference makers, blue chip players, elite, 2nd most cap space, FA spending big and so on. Last time I checked, FA started March 2018... and Luck didn't throw till what, July?! Who the hell would sign star WR to pair with Brissett or Walker? Does it really make sense to sign "elite" players to win 2-3 more games with Brissett just to hurt Colts' chances to draft Luck's replacement?! And when Ballard saw enough Luck's progress and liked it... all "playmakers" were gone.

• Thanks 1

6 months ago people seriously discussed drafting Luck's replacement with 3rd pick overall. 3 weeks ago people seriously discussed Luck's arm strength. And now "I'm diehard Colts fan, Ballard should spend big in FA, we could be 5-1 right now, Super Bowl, baby".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, NDcolt said:

Ballard never believed in this 2018 colts team which is why we have the worst roster!  2nd most cap space yet didn’t sign one difference maker!  Maybe he wasn’t sure that LUCK would come back 100% or Darious Leonord would turn out to be an ALL American but one thing is sure they didn’t go all in for 2018!  I get that, to many unknowns for this season but little did he know we’re a few plays from being 5-1 instead of 1-5.  If we only spent some cap on playmakers but it’s obvious we don’t want to win in 2018??  Colts forfeited 2018 & Fans should be ANGRY

pretty sure Ebron has been a difference maker.   Hunt as well

• Like 1

I liked the Ebron signing then and it looks even better now. He's having his best year as a pro so far. Also, I am not sure why people wanting him to spend money in a very weak free agency class. Honestly it wasn't good at all. I think this next free agency period you will see him be more aggressive to an extent, but I am cool with him looking for young talent. If he's going to over pay it needs to be on someone of worth, not a bunch of older scrubs as Grigson would do. We have some good pieces and regardless of the record the arrow is pointing up.

• Like 1

Even if they don't spend everything, no reason he couldn't find solid talent like Ebron and Hunt. 

Another infusion of those type FA's and another draft and we definitely start to look a lot better. He could sprinkle in a couple big signings also.

We're in a good spot going forward if Ballard doesn't pull a Grigson and go after a couple Landry's and RJF's.

• Thanks 1

Hindsight sure is nice to have. Nobody could have known how close we'd be with such a young team. New offense, new defense. No one knew how Luck was going to be. So why in the world would you go all in with FA spending. To only then have your young guys sit on the bench. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

This has been his plan all along and has been very transparent on it...Irsay too actually. He's said repeatedly that he wants to compete for multiple championships, not be a one year flash in the pan and if that means having a couple down years to achieve that, then he's willing to do that.

They've both been very open about it and it's not their fault there are those who don't want to see it.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, NDcolt said:

The Football Gods didn't want us to win in 2018.

It's NOT our turn.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, K-148 said:

So funny to read all that whining about playmakers, difference makers, blue chip players, elite, 2nd most cap space, FA spending big and so on. Last time I checked, FA started March 2018... and Luck didn't throw till what, July?! Who the hell would sign star WR to pair with Brissett or Walker? Does it really make sense to sign "elite" players to win 2-3 more games with Brissett just to hurt Colts' chances to draft Luck's replacement?! And when Ballard saw enough Luck's progress and liked it... all "playmakers" were gone.

As luck would have it there are two available right now.  Bell and Cooper.  

13 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

As luck would have it there are two available right now.  Bell and Cooper.  

Gruden said they did not shop Cooper, so it's not like he is available. And he is 1st round pick, that's it. 2017 he got 680 yards... Grant got 580. Even Jack Doyle had more yards than Cooper.

Bell played full (almost) seasons in 2014&2017, rushing 290&321 times and catching 83&85 passes. 2015&2016 he was hurt a lot.

Not sure Cooper&Bell worth trading for.

14 minutes ago, K-148 said:

Gruden said they did not shop Cooper, so it's not like he is available. And he is 1st round pick, that's it. 2017 he got 680 yards... Grant got 580. Even Jack Doyle had more yards than Cooper.

Bell played full (almost) seasons in 2014&2017, rushing 290&321 times and catching 83&85 passes. 2015&2016 he was hurt a lot.

Cooper is worth every penny and draft choice (2nd?).

He is a fast, big body WR who would match perfectly with Hilton.  We would be very lucky to get him.

Bell?  I mean cmon of course he is a great back. Maybe the best in the NFL right now.  To say he is not worth trading for, when we have SO MUCH cap space?

I just have to lol at that.

7 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Cooper is worth every penny and draft choice (2nd?).

He is a fast, big body WR who would match perfectly with Hilton.  We would be very lucky to get him.

Bell?  I mean cmon of course he is a great back. Maybe the best in the NFL right now.  To say he is not worth trading for, when we have SO MUCH cap space?

I just have to lol at that.

I didn't play Madden. At all. So I don't know, is there a mode, where you can't trade for player, who is not available for a trade? Or you can trade for him anytime?

As for Bell... I just want to say he is either hurt, or makes 300+ carries and 80+ catches each season. In Madden world does it matter?

5 minutes ago, K-148 said:

I didn't play Madden. At all. So I don't know, is there a mode, where you can't trade for player, who is not available for a trade? Or you can trade for him anytime?

As for Bell... I just want to say he is either hurt, or makes 300+ carries and 80+ catches each season. In Madden world does it matter?

I've never played Madden in my life,  or any video game for that matter except Golden Tee and Tiger Woods golf in the past 20 years.

Next.

Cooper had 680 yards on 48 receptions in 2017, good for 14,2 yards per reception... but 87 yards (12,79%) came on one reception! So it's basically 12,7 yards per reception. This season Cooper has 22 receptions for 280 yards, good for... 12,7 yards per reception. He is on pace for 747 yards. So you want to trade one of our 1st round picks (second 1st round pick for Bell, of course) for Ryan Grant 2.0.

12 hours ago, IinD said:

The thing I've always hated about critical articles on GM's spending in any sport is you never know what input the owner has.

Just for arguments sake, the owner doesn't really want you to sign someone he dislikes, or doesn't feel like dishing out to much a certain year simply because of their own financial reasons (problems we'd never have as working class folks). 

For all we know this has been the plan all along, spend in year 3 after turning over the roster.

In top sports leagues the owner of a team should never even come close to having a problem to making payroll for the entire cap.  

Now maybe Ballard didn't see many FA's who where willing to come here for the price he was willing to spend on them.  

But I really doubt that there was any financial reasons holding him back.  

8 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

In top sports leagues the owner of a team should never even come close to having a problem to making payroll for the entire cap.  

Now maybe Ballard didn't see many FA's who where willing to come here for the price he was willing to spend on them.  

But I really doubt that there was any financial reasons holding him back.  

Isn't guaranteed money separate from all the other stuff? I thought I remember Irsay talking about selling some personal stuff to have enough cash to pay Peyton years back??

Not saying that's the case, but I thought guaranteed money comes straight from the owners pocket so some owners may be cheaper then others. I could be wrong though.

1 hour ago, K-148 said:

Gruden started out saying he was not shopping Mack.  That changed pretty quickly.   I think Ballard has to be really considering this one though.  Trade for him now.  Sign Bell in FA.  Offense is rebuilt.   

What big time free agent did Ballard fell to sign for this season? He signed 2 offensive lineman. The OT he signed was the top rated free agent. He signed Grant.  On defensive he signed several DLineman, He signed Goode as a LB. Melvin got away but he has been benched in Oakland. Who did we miss out on? 

27 minutes ago, IinD said:

Isn't guaranteed money separate from all the other stuff? I thought I remember Irsay talking about selling some personal stuff to have enough cash to pay Peyton years back??

Not saying that's the case, but I thought guaranteed money comes straight from the owners pocket so some owners may be cheaper then others. I could be wrong though.

No it comes from the club.  The only thing with the guaranteed money is I think the club has to set it aside when the contract is signed and not touch it until it's paid.  Or if it's in the form of a signing bonus they of course have to pay that straight away. 

But the money that the clubs make shouldn't make it any problem.

You have to be careful with guaranteed money because it always counts against your cap at some point.  But it's not because the teams can't afford it.      

• Thanks 1