Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

You're the GM

Moosejawcolt

Not Hindsight, but this is what I would have done at the time pre draft.  the mock drafts I did had these players in them.

Sign Alshon Jeffrey (2017)

sign Andrew Norwell

both those guys had the colts as one of their top teams but we were outbid. 

trade back with Bills for one of their 1sts and 2nd and 2019 1st. (I would’ve taken their same trade to move to 7, but swapped one of the 1sts with next years 1st)

Draft (1)Marcus Davenport DE, (2)will Hernandez G, (2)Harold Landry DE, (2)Connor Williams G/T, (2) Carlton Davis CB, (3) Fred Warner LB

I was indifferent on Nelson and hated our entire 2nd round this year, but I’m starting to warm up to the guys. This is similar to what I would have done. It could have worked out better or worse. Still too early to tell.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Doesn’t sound like the Jags are getting what they paid for in Norwell.

https://www.jacksonville.com/sports/20180928/success-is-taking-time-for-jaguars-lineman-andrew-

And didn’t Guice blow his ACL?

Thanks for the link on Norwell, good to see we passed on him. However, Guice probably doesn't blow his ACL if he's here, he was on a different team in a different situation in a preseason game. Likely it happens different if he plays somewhere else. That was just his result on the Skins. Remember, I'm being brutally honest on what I'd of done as GM. Not lying, and not sugercoating it. A lot of my moves would of been wrong, and some of them we wouldn't of known.

On 10/15/2018 at 7:07 PM, ThorstenDenmark said:

I would have gone all in on Khalil Mack and given him what he wanted. 

After that, I would have gone after either Sammy Watkins or Allen Robinson, to give Andrew Luck one more reliable WR.

We have a s*** ton of money which could have been spend on such signings, and a player like Khalil Mack is one you could build a defence around.

He's a leader both on and off the field, BUT Indianapolis is not a big market, which make it nearly impossible to sign a big time free agent.

Next year, we should be in the race for Le'Veon Bell, DeMarcus Lawrance, Jadeveon Clowney and Anthony Barr, But the possibility for signing just one of such big time and young free agents can be very difficult, due to the small market as Indy is compared to other teams location.

I think you are confusing the NFL with MLB.  The salary cap (which I think is a good idea) maintains a level playing field for all teams. Every team has the same amount of CAP space to field their respective teams.  How each spends it is on them. In regards to all elite players going to LA, NY and Florida can’t and doesn’t happen, because every team can afford franchise players. Saying Indy is not a top destination because it’s small market is ridiculous, unless they were a MLB team.

Mack cost the bears 6 for 140 (over 20M+ a season) and they gave their next 2 years #1's and a #2. That's a lot.

Norwell has obviously been nothing special so far with a huge pricetag.

With hindsight, I don't fault Ballard for not going after these two players.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2018 at 7:27 PM, #12. said:

You have a franchise QB and play in a league where the QB can no longer be touched, where receivers can no longer be touched.  Surround him with high quality weapons, Polian-style.  Not a lot of smashmouth teams at the top of the league these days.  

Exactly. Polian realized Colts are in a warm weather division, with at least 10 warm/dome games (minmum!) each year.  Build the team for warm/indoor weather.  I think Ballard/Reich/Eberflus  are going that direction.

51 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Exactly. Polian realized Colts are in a warm weather division, with at least 10 warm/dome games (minmum!) each year.  Build the team for warm/indoor weather.  I think Ballard/Reich/Eberflus  are going that direction.

All good until they play the Patriots in January!

8 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I’m honestly not feeling the Amari Cooper hype, & the Raiders want a high pick for him.

Thats because hes a two time Pro Bowler at age 24. And is a very good player. I know his peers ranked him #53 on the top 100 in 2017.

That sounds a lot better to me than drafting a guy and hoping he develops.

I also dont think they will get a 1. But we are 1-5 so our 2 is almost as good.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

Not Hindsight, but this is what I would have done at the time pre draft.  the mock drafts I did had these players in them.

Sign Alshon Jeffrey (2017)

sign Andrew Norwell

both those guys had the colts as one of their top teams but we were outbid.

This isnt true at all. The Colts never got to discuss contract details with Jeffery or Norwell. They signed before ever coming here, they weren't "outbid".

I think Ballard is on a 3 year plan. He is being very patient and smart, and he is saving his money for year 3, when he can look at his first 3 drafts and use the money to cover his misses. He knows his job is safe for at least 3 or 4 years.

11 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Thanks for the link on Norwell, good to see we passed on him. However, Guice probably doesn't blow his ACL if he's here, he was on a different team in a different situation in a preseason game.

Considering the injury issues we've had so far this year, I wouldn't rule anything out.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

This isnt true at all. The Colts never got to discuss contract details with Jeffery or Norwell. They signed before ever coming here, they weren't "outbid".

I think Ballard is on a 3 year plan. He is being very patient and smart, and he is saving his money for year 3, when he can look at his first 3 drafts and use the money to cover his misses. He knows his job is safe for at least 3 or 4 years.

Patient, yes.  I don't know if we can say it is smart.  If he's trying to gauge the free agent market three years down the road, trying to crystal ball the quality of players that will be available and the amount of money needed, I think he's gambling.

Yes, you don't want to spend a lot of money when you're not going to win, and we should definitely hold a lot of cap back for the future, but if he's committing to spend almost nothing until year 3, it's highly questionable, IMO.

9 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

Sorry.....    but according to all published reports,  you're wrong.

Norwell didn't go on a tour of teams.     His agent talked terms on the phone.    And by published reports,  we were one of three finalists.....    Colts,  Giants,  49ers.    The irony is the Jags came in late with the offer.

But you're going to have to show how you came to believe that we never talked terms.    I don't see how you came to that conclusion.     There's a 3-day period where everyone talks terms with agents.    Even if you decide a player is too expensive,  the only way to know is to talk dollars with the agent.     Your position doesn't make sense.

Here's one link:

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/3/12/17112462/the-colts-are-in-fact-making-a-run-at-andrew-norwell

By the way,  we were the runner-up for Jensen.   It was down to the Bucs and the Colts.   Jensen actually came to the facility.   He left and went to Tampa and signed there.

The common theme is both linemen signed with teams in Florida where there is no state tax.   That gives Florida franchises a nice advantage in negotiations.

46 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Generally speaking though, hasn't the offense been scoring enough points to normally win?

They’ve only scored 30 or more twice, & they lost both times, & they’ve scored 24 or less every other game. This offense at full strength should honestly be able to put up 35+ every week, but unfortunately injuries have really held them back.

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry.....    but according to all published reports,  you're wrong.

Norwell didn't go on a tour of teams.     His agent talked terms on the phone.    And by published reports,  we were one of three finalists.....    Colts,  Giants,  49ers.    The irony is the Jags came in late with the offer.

But you're going to have to show how you came to believe that we never talked terms.    I don't see how you came to that conclusion.     There's a 3-day period where everyone talks terms with agents.    Even if you decide a player is too expensive,  the only way to know is to talk dollars with the agent.     Your position doesn't make sense.

Here's one link:

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/3/12/17112462/the-colts-are-in-fact-making-a-run-at-andrew-norwell

By the way,  we were the runner-up for Jensen.   It was down to the Bucs and the Colts.   Jensen actually came to the facility.   He left and went to Tampa and signed there.

The common theme is both linemen signed with teams in Florida where there is no state tax.   That gives Florida franchises a nice advantage in negotiations.

Who is the last player we signed without bringing them in for a visit?

You dont know what they discussed. That report is vague and doesnt even say we made an offer. You are connecting dots and you have no way of knowing what was offered. Show me an article that says we offered him a contract.

I think we showed interest and his agent likely used that to get him with the team he wanted to go. I dont think we offered him a deal, or that it got to that point.

As far as Jensen, I dont really see him in the same light, so I guess I just dont really feel spurned in that case. 

5 hours ago, DougDew said:

Patient, yes.  I don't know if we can say it is smart.  If he's trying to gauge the free agent market three years down the road, trying to crystal ball the quality of players that will be available and the amount of money needed, I think he's gambling.

Yes, you don't want to spend a lot of money when you're not going to win, and we should definitely hold a lot of cap back for the future, but if he's committing to spend almost nothing until year 3, it's highly questionable, IMO.

Teams go out and blow the wad all at once, I think thats what did Grigson in. He settled for aging vets just to say he got somebody. Ballard isnt doing that. I think youre also seeing it in Jacksonville right now. They peaked too early. And they wont have the resources to address the QB position going forward without a major trade, involving some of their key defensive players. They are like the Ray Lewis Ravens teams, but not nearly as good.

I really like his approach in contrast to the previous regime. We are gonna have 3 picks in the first two rounds next year and a boatload of money to throw around, with far less needs compared to this year. We are in a great spot. A healthy franchise QB, improving fronts on both sides of the ball, and we still have all of our chips. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

Who is the last player we signed without bringing them in for a visit?

You dont know what they discussed. That report is vague and doesnt even say we made an offer. You are connecting dots and you have no way of knowing what was offered. Show me an article that says we offered him a contract.

I think we showed interest and his agent likely used that to get him with the team he wanted to go. I dont think we offered him a deal, or that it got to that point.

As far as Jensen, I dont really see him in the same light, so I guess I just dont really feel spurned in that case. 

If you're in the final three,  we made an offer.     It's not like only three teams showed any interest.    Norwell didn't visit either the Giants or the 49ers.     His agent took offers from teams that showed interest.    The only team he went to was the one whose offer he accepted.

Since we made an offer to Jensen and he signed for nearly $11 Mill per year,  there's no reason to think we didn't make an offer to Norwell.    

One last thought.....   Jensen came to Indy for a visit...   typically a signal we're going to sign the player.    And yet,  he left without a deal.    He went to Tampa and eventually signed there.

I don't "The Visit" is something that's written in stone in order for Ballard to sign a player...     if Norwell agreed to terms,  then he would've come to sign his deal as he did with Jacksonville...    without a visit ahead of time.

6 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

Teams go out and blow the wad all at once, I think thats what did Grigson in. He settled for aging vets just to say he got somebody. Ballard isnt doing that. I think youre also seeing it in Jacksonville right now. They peaked too early. And they wont have the resources to address the QB position going forward without a major trade, involving some of their key defensive players. They are like the Ray Lewis Ravens teams, but not nearly as good.

I really like his approach in contrast to the previous regime. We are gonna have 3 picks in the first two rounds next year and a boatload of money to throw around, with far less needs compared to this year. We are in a great spot. A healthy franchise QB, improving fronts on both sides of the ball, and we still have all of our chips. 

Grigson didn't blow any wads.  He created plenty of cap space, left it to Ballard, who hasn't spent it much differently.  Grigson spent a lot when he first got here to build a competitive roster right away, but their was a lot of dead cap counting against it which limited his ability to sign premium players.  As Polian's dead cap space dissipated, cap space was created.   All of those vets Grigson signed could be cut without cap implications.  Just like Ballard did when signing Hankins, Simon, and the OLs

I don't know if Ballard should have signed more free agents or not.  I'm simply saying if he is turning down good young free agents now just to save space for who he thinks might be available 2 years from now, I think it is a mistake.  But I don't think he's doing that.

What you're proposing sound a lot like what Grigson actually did.  Saved cap space to then sign guys like Art Jones, Anthony Johnson, Trent Cole, Mike Adams, and Frank Gore to try to get us over the playoff hump and into the superbowl.  Despite all of those vet signings, we had gobs of cap space when he was fired.

21 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

Thats because hes a two time Pro Bowler at age 24. And is a very good player. I know his peers ranked him #53 on the top 100 in 2017.

That sounds a lot better to me than drafting a guy and hoping he develops.

I also dont think they will get a 1. But we are 1-5 so our 2 is almost as good.

Interesting thought.   Perhaps we should be shopping our 2nd round pick while it looks like pick 33-35.    

• Like 1

I first want to say these things.

1. My knowledge is limited, it would be much greater if football was my full time job.   So there are a lot of names of players that I don't know about as a fan that every GM would have known.  For example Darius Leonard was not a guy I was aware of.  So I can't say that I would have drafted him at the time, but small school LB with good workouts similar to Roquan Smith I might have considered it had I known about him.   So for the most part I'm just going with guys I was aware of at the time.  

2. I am going to be honest with this because some of these would have been shown out to be mistakes,  I'm trying to accurately state what I advocated for at the time.  Not try and use hindsight to pretend I would do better. 

To be honest I probably would have invested in a CB like Malcom Butler but perhaps that's why Ballard makes the big bucks.  Because looking at all the top CB's that where available last year in FA it looks like most of them are not playing well with their new teams.  

I would have gone for a WR2.  I liked Watkins

I probably might have gone for Justin Pugh

Cameron Flemming for RT

Anthony Hitchens at OLB

In the draft: Agree with the trade down for 3 2nd round picks and would have drafted Quenton Nelson at 6.

At 36 I would have probably gotten Josh Jackson 

At 37.  Conner Williams

At 52. Durius Guice

Would not have traded up to 64 but would have remained at 67 and took Arden Key

AT 104.  Josey Jewell

Past that I honestly didn't know the names of many players other then Equamous St. Brown who I might have drafted in the 5th round.

7 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

I think Grigson went out and spent big on the older FA's when he thought he had a chance at the SB.  I think it was after we lost in the AFC championship game.  Ballard is spending only on the younger guys for the most part.  26, 27 years old.  That's a good thing.  But I am hoping he is not waiting to spend the money in 2 or 3 years and hoping he finds a FA who is available that can help us at that time.  You can build through the draft, which is the best way , but you have to be willing to spend on a current young player when they become available now.  Especially if he fills a glaring need and you can further redefine your draft needs.  Making smart trades during the rebuild can accelerate the rebuild process.  He's made quite a few trades since he's been here.  I'm hoping he makes a move before the deadline and fixes the WR need.  These young stars like Bell, Cooper and Mack don't become available every year. 

On 10/17/2018 at 10:37 AM, MPStack said:

All good until they play the Patriots in January!

The Patriots are hardly a physical/smashmouth team these days.  Even if you get there in January, you'll have to outscore them.

I didn't love the Polian method 15 years ago, but with a franchise QB in Luck and the league being what it is today, it's the route I would go in 2019.

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Cooper is well worth our 2nd. pick.  Fills huge need and only 24.  Picks are 50/50 at best.  Would be back to the pro bowl with Luck.

The issue is that we have more cap space than draft picks.  Draft picks are for rookies.  Big contracts are for vets.  

Using a draft pick to acquire a veteran is like using a nice sedan to haul mulch.  Both have value, but you have to use them correctly.

11 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The issue is that we have more cap space than draft picks.  Draft picks are for rookies.  Big contracts are for vets.  

Using a draft pick to acquire a veteran is like using a nice sedan to haul mulch.  Both have value, but you have to use them correctly.

Except that Cooper isn't a 30 yr. old veteran he's a 24 yr. old veteran.  Big difference IMO. 

• Like 1

I think adding Cooper would greatly help the offense overall. It would take more pressure off of Luck and it would help to free up T.Y. from seeing double coverage as often. Once Doyle returns to the lineup, the Colts receivers would consist of:

1. T. Y Hilton

2. Amari Cooper

3. Eric Ebron

4. Jack Doyle

5. Grant/Rogers/Pascal (playing their natural #3 receiver position, instead of being forced into the #1 receiver position due to injuries/lack of talent).

And with Hines/Mack in the backfield, this would make for a very tough offense to stop. BUT, I think Ballard believes that Cain will grow to be the #2 receiver and that he can save a draft pick and cap space. It's very unlikely that Ballard will make this trade.

42 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

I think adding Cooper would greatly help the offense overall. It would take more pressure off of Luck and it would help to free up T.Y. from seeing double coverage as often. Once Doyle returns to the lineup, the Colts receivers would consist of:

1. T. Y Hilton

2. Amari Cooper

3. Eric Ebron

4. Jack Doyle

5. Grant/Rogers/Pascal (playing their natural #3 receiver position, instead of being forced into the #1 receiver position due to injuries/lack of talent).

And with Hines/Mack in the backfield, this would make for a very tough offense to stop. BUT, I think Ballard believes that Cain will grow to be the #2 receiver and that he can save a draft pick and cap space. It's very unlikely that Ballard will make this trade.

Most likely but it's a big gamble on his part.  No guarantee that Cain is the same and he really hasn't proved anything yet.  He took a chance on Ebron and that worked out.  Luck made him better IMO.  He can do the same for Cooper.  More upside with Cooper that with an unknown 2nd. rd. pick.  All you have to do is look at Ballards pick of Wilson and what happened to Banner and Basham. 

7 hours ago, DougDew said:

Grigson didn't blow any wads.  He created plenty of cap space, left it to Ballard, who hasn't spent it much differently.  Grigson spent a lot when he first got here to build a competitive roster right away, but their was a lot of dead cap counting against it which limited his ability to sign premium players.  As Polian's dead cap space dissipated, cap space was created.   All of those vets Grigson signed could be cut without cap implications.  Just like Ballard did when signing Hankins, Simon, and the OLs

I don't know if Ballard should have signed more free agents or not.  I'm simply saying if he is turning down good young free agents now just to save space for who he thinks might be available 2 years from now, I think it is a mistake.  But I don't think he's doing that.

What you're proposing sound a lot like what Grigson actually did.  Saved cap space to then sign guys like Art Jones, Anthony Johnson, Trent Cole, Mike Adams, and Frank Gore to try to get us over the playoff hump and into the superbowl.  Despite all of those vet signings, we had gobs of cap space when he was fired.

See those same aquisitions to me look like he settled. None of those guys were cornerstone types. More like stop gaps.

I think Ballard wants to sign a star player, entering his prime. Like. Demarcus Lawrence type, ehich would be a mich higher profile aquisition than any of those aging players Grigs brought in.

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

If you're in the final three,  we made an offer.     It's not like only three teams showed any interest.    Norwell didn't visit either the Giants or the 49ers.     His agent took offers from teams that showed interest.    The only team he went to was the one whose offer he accepted.

Since we made an offer to Jensen and he signed for nearly $11 Mill per year,  there's no reason to think we didn't make an offer to Norwell.    

One last thought.....   Jensen came to Indy for a visit...   typically a signal we're going to sign the player.    And yet,  he left without a deal.    He went to Tampa and eventually signed there.

I don't "The Visit" is something that's written in stone in order for Ballard to sign a player...     if Norwell agreed to terms,  then he would've come to sign his deal as he did with Jacksonville...    without a visit ahead of time.

I see a difference between talking contracts and just the parameters. 

I never think it got to the point where we were exchanging offers with him.

All Im really saying is I dont think we were outbid. We likely didnt even have a real chance to aquire him. I dont think the visit is the end all be all but its certainly when the negotiations get much more detailed and serious.

14 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

See those same aquisitions to me look like he settled. None of those guys were cornerstone types. More like stop gaps.

I think Ballard wants to sign a star player, entering his prime. Like. Demarcus Lawrence type, ehich would be a mich higher profile aquisition than any of those aging players Grigs brought in.

That could be.  The Grigs/Ballard plan to sign FA to push the team over the top only works if the guys you want are available, not franchised, injured, etc. 

Not to mention, what if Darius Leonard is an all pro by then and the best FA player is a guy at his position?  So even if talent is available, we might not have the roster spot.

He might have to settle for lesser talent at another position.

I just think that if you're building a team with a young core, I don't see a problem adding young free agents or players from other teams to build with, not just building through the draft.    Vontae Davis is a good example, although we had to use a draft pick to get him.

Again, I don't think that's what CB is doing.  I think he will probably look for some core FAs this offseason.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

True, but guys like Lawrence will not hit FA IMO.  Now a guy entering his prime is the 24 yr. old WR  Amari Cooper.  Luck would make him a star again and he would fill a glaring hole for us.  The difference is you have to make the trade and not wait for FA.  A good GM should try to take advantage of opportunities when they arise.  They come at different times during a season.  Our last opportunity is the upcoming trade deadline.  It's now or wait until the season ends. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Savage21 said:

You don't see our Pro Bowl WR as a #1? Wow. You're hard to please.

His body isn't a #1, but his production is. A #1 is able to break through even when teams attempt to scheme them out defensively, and Hilton has not yet consistently shown that. For a long while Hilton was a feast or famine player, but I think Reich is doing the reich stuff to create offense for TY despite defensive matchups. I would have loved to have seen the Colts at full health against the Pats, just to see what they did to get TY open, a NE would have done its best to completely remove him from the game

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

True, but guys like Lawrence will not hit FA IMO.  Now a guy entering his prime is the 24 yr. old WR  Amari Cooper.  Luck would make him a star again and he would fill a glaring hole for us.  The difference is you have to make the trade and not wait for FA.  A good GM should try to take advantage of opportunities when they arise.  They come at different times during a season.  Our last opportunity is the upcoming trade deadline.  It's now or wait until the season ends. 

Lawrence was just an example of the top of my head. I think its more likely Ballard is very aggressive in the draft looking for the right pass rusher, and its a very good year to take that approach, maybe the best DL draft in 20+ years.

And thats why Im also on the Cooper bandwagon. We arent gonna get a guy with his ability in FA and the draft for receivers isnt that great next year at all, so lets go ahead and get him. And next year focus on pass rush and corner. Cooper is actually a really nice compliment to TY and has the big play ability we are looking for next to him. i would kove to see what each guy could do playing across from the other.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

I see a difference between talking contracts and just the parameters. 

I never think it got to the point where we were exchanging offers with him.

All Im really saying is I dont think we were outbid. We likely didnt even have a real chance to aquire him. I dont think the visit is the end all be all but its certainly when the negotiations get much more detailed and serious.

Look....    you're entitled to your opinion,  but I just don't understand why anyone would think that?

The 3-day "legal tampering" period is for the express purposes of finding out how much the player wants,  and how much the team is willing to offer.    Are the two sides even close?    Is there a gap that can be bridged or are the two sides so far apart that there's no reason to talk.    That's what happened with the Dallas LB who we were reportedly the front-runner for because of his relationship with Eburflus.    But on Day One, we all woke up to the news that the player signed with KC for more than we were willing to offer.   

NFL sources reported we were one of the three finalists.    There's no reason to report that if there isn't some truth to it.    We spent the 6th overall pick on a guard.    We were the runner-up for Jensen, the 2nd best interior lineman in FA.     Why wouldn't we at least make an offer to the best OL available?   I don't see why you wouldn't believe that we made an offer and were out bid?

It doesn't add up to me.....

5 hours ago, richard pallo said:

A good GM knows you can get a good WR without having to trade a first round draft pick to get him.    Especially when the team is not built to win now.

I sure hope you're being paid $1 for every post you make telling Ballard to trade for someone.

If so,  you'd be richer than if you win the lottery,  which today is nearing ONE BILLION DOLLARS!!

Just keep posting.     Just keep posting.     Just keep posting.    Just keep posting.......