Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How about this trade. Brisett for Dorsett

coltsorioles

3 hours ago, Myles said:

Isn't Brisset under contract through next season too?

yeah, thats why he would have some trade value.  he could back up luck for another year too, but theres a good chance he will leave after that.  he'll never beat out luck but he might get a chance to start somewhere else

1 hour ago, MPStack said:

Yes, and unfortunately the NFL is not like MLB, where bad teams trade players on their last year of a contract to acquire something in return. I'll be surprised if the Colts net anything for Brissett barring an injury to a starting QB. With that being said, I'd be more surprised if the Colts got even a 2nd for JB. 

most teams dont have back up qbs that are worth anything either.  the patriots make moves like this all the time though they are probably the most trade happy team in the league 

8 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

There are some who view him as a Starting Caliber QB

I don't think any team (not fan) views him as a QB with which to be the leader of the team, or else there would be legitimate trade offers for him (which I don't think has ever happened).  As I mentioned, I could see him be targeted as the starter if the team had the intention of being led by its defense and running game.  It's a legitimate strategy, but then the QB isn't necessarily first round material.  I would assume any such team would just wait until Brissett's contract is up and pay him a bit more than backup money, rather than waste a second round pick (where they could get a Darius Leonard) to get him before that.

8 hours ago, richard pallo said:

John Clayton is suggesting that the Giants trade their 2nd. rd pick for him right now.  And if they feel they made a mistake they could always use their 1st pick on a QB this year.  Clayton thinks he's the real deal and worth the pick.  Clayton is a well respected NFL journalist.  You can find his article on Bleacher Report. 

That's fine.  They may do that.  And they tend to have a defense/running game culture there. 

My thought is that if they think Brissett is that good, why not just wait until the end of the season instead of having him win them a few more games in a meaningless season.  Brissett did not perform any better under pressure last year than what Eli is doing now, IMO.  I don't see where there is a bidding war for Brissett and why they would bother to trade for him midseason.

This is Clayton's suggestion.  He's not reporting something the NYG said.  

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

That's fine.  They may do that.  And they tend to have a defense/running game culture there. 

My thought is that if they think Brissett is that good, why not just wait until the end of the season instead of having him win them a few more games in a meaningless season.  Brissett did not perform any better under pressure last year than what Eli is doing now, IMO.  I don't see where there is a bidding war for Brissett and why they would bother to trade for him midseason.

There are also NY sports writers who have mentioned this trade happening now.  They rationalize that getting him in early gives him a head start on learning their offense for next year.  There are two more games to be played before the trade deadline and a lot can happen.  The season will be half over so teams will know pretty much where they stand for this year.  That said I do believe Brissett will be a hot commodity whether now or at the end of the season. 

13 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

There are also NY sports writers who have mentioned this trade happening now.  They rationalize that getting him in early gives him a head start on learning their offense for next year.  There are two more games to be played before the trade deadline and a lot can happen.  The season will be half over so teams will know pretty much where they stand for this year.  That said I do believe Brissett will be a hot commodity whether now or at the end of the season. 

I hope its true.  Brissett is a quality backup, the kind you want when you are a playoff team and need quality starts for a few games in case of injury.  Like we had with hasselbeck.  We don't have that team so Brissett is kind of wasted talent on our bench.  I just think he didn't perform as well as you want under pressure to be a serious playoff caliber QB, and NYG has a horrible oline, so I don't see a team thinking he will lead them to the playoffs.  Could be wrong though.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

I don't think any team (not fan) views him as a QB with which to be the leader of the team, or else there would be legitimate trade offers for him (which I don't think has ever happened).  As I mentioned, I could see him be targeted as the starter if the team had the intention of being led by its defense and running game.  It's a legitimate strategy, but then the QB isn't necessarily first round material.  I would assume any such team would just wait until Brissett's contract is up and pay him a bit more than backup money, rather than waste a second round pick (where they could get a Darius Leonard) to get him before that.

If I remember correctly Browns and Broncos both inquired on him. There were talks about 1st round picks in exchange for him. 

20 minutes ago, gspdx said:

How about Brissett and some picks next year to the Giants for Barkley?  

Wouldnt happen. They obviously liked Barkley more than any of the QBs in the draft. No reason to think they are that much higher on Brissett. 

If we were looking to deal for a RB, Id be making a call to the Steelers about a potential Brissett/Bell trade though. Ben seems to be on his last leg and they could use some competition for Rudolph next yr. Gives them the 2019 season to see if Rudolph is the answer, or a chance to resign him as the starter if Rudolph falters.

We get Bell and maybe a conditional 3rd round pick in 2020 if hes not on our roster week 1 of next year. That way even if Bell walks after this yr we get a comp pick plus the conditional pick in 2020.

I doubt Ballard would do it, but for all the people out there clamoring for Bell, it seems like a good way to get him here. 

1 hour ago, J@son said:

Why would the Giants trade away their 2nd overall pick AND eat over $25 mil in dead cap space?

Hey - I thought we were talking about silly trade ideas.  Most trades that people suggest here never happen and never have a chance of happening.

I used to always wander why other teams could win with their backups and we never really could.  Now we can't even win with a stud QB so if we can get anything out of JB I say take it.  It's not like if Andrew got hurt tomorrow that our winning percentage would change much.

On 10/16/2018 at 7:33 AM, DougDew said:

Not just your opinion, the stats back it up.   Brissett did significantly worse last year than Manning is doing in a similar situation.  

Brisset - 82 rating

image.png.458c91f0c841695a04f4b0d8cf8e7ed5.png

Manning - 91 rating

image.png.bd99a27fe2897467b3e776b524142b86.png

2 hours ago, Myles said:

Not just your opinion, the stats back it up.   Brissett did significantly worse last year than Manning is doing in a similar situation.  

Brisset - 82 rating

image.png.458c91f0c841695a04f4b0d8cf8e7ed5.png

Manning - 91 rating

image.png.bd99a27fe2897467b3e776b524142b86.png

Interesting..I didn't realize that Eli Manning was traded to the Giants 4 days before week 1 of the regular season, forcing him to learn an entirely new offense and quickly gain chemistry with an OL and skill players that he'd never worked with before.  I'm surprised that wasn't more widely reported.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, J@son said:

Interesting..I didn't realize that Eli Manning was traded to the Giants 4 days before week 1 of the regular season, forcing him to learn an entirely new offense and quickly gain chemistry with an OL and skill players that he'd never worked with before.  I'm surprised that wasn't more widely reported.

Brissett didn't really improve as the season went on.   He also had a similar rating with New England the previous year.   No reason to think that he is the Giants answer to their QB woes.   Maybe a stop gap, but they won't give up a 2nd round pick for it.    Especially since that 2nd round pick might be the 33rd pick in the draft.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/15/2018 at 5:27 PM, Jared Cisneros said:

Cooper I would love, as I think he still has a lot of potential away from Carr. Bell, I just worry about how hard it will be to sign him to an extension. So I'd probably avoid him.

The more I think about it, the more I'm warming up to the idea of trading for Cooper. He was injured last year, & Gruden's offense doesn't really cater to... well, really anyone to be honest. If the Colts traded for him today, he'd probably finish the year with 10TDs.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

The more I think about it, the more I'm warming up to the idea of trading for Cooper. He was injured last year, & Gruden's offense doesn't really cater to... well, really anyone to be honest. If the Colts traded for him today, he'd probably finish the year with 10TDs.

I'll take Cooper.

On 10/17/2018 at 6:50 PM, DougDew said:

Yeah, I don't understand the media's fascination with Brissett.  Well, yes, I kinda do....

At the start of the  season,  ESPN had a list of the top back-up QB's in the NFL.

Brissett was 7th.

Even in losses last year,  and in his play the year before with NE,  Brissett showed talent.