Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MikeCurtis

This team was not built to win it all this year

Many folks upset on the board

The passion is natural.......... I would LOVE for the Colts to be dominating...... THIS year

They arent........

You can start a year as a team with the plan to win it all now.

Lets start with planning......

First off..........Failure to plan, IS a PLAN to fail (In life, or in sports teams)

Plan 1 - Win it Now Plan

Strategy -

Collect any and all talent, NOW.

Action - 

Actively pursue talent in FA, regardless of cost, to fill any holes

Trade future draft picks to get known talent

Draft to fill immediate holes

This IS a plan. 

In pro sports (NFL, NBA, MLB, Premier League, NHL)

Some teams have used this plan to success.

This is a "swing for the fences" strategy.

Sometimes you hit the ball, and you are the homerun hero......

Sometimes you miss, and the miss looks very awkward

In the history of these sports, the team that employ this strategy,

move from high peaks to low valleys.

Many times the time periods of valleys are MUCH longer than the period of Peaks 

Also In many cases the "superstars" on the team, end up fighting with each other

and the front office, for the limelight, and the word "team" doesn't really apply

Plan 2 - Build the team internally.

Strategy -

Culture of PACED improvements in all aspects of your organization...... EVERY YEAR

(You dont HAVE to win it all, every year...... just get a bit better, each year)

Actions

Remove players / coaches that dont think long term, or dont fit the plan......... EVEN IF THEY ARE TALENTED

Long term, team approach to every decision made

Draft best player available

Use FA, only when player fits your culture and checkbook

This IS ALSO a plan.

THIS is the plan that Ballard SAID that he would follow

I fully expected that this team would lay eggs this year.

8-8 (and now maybe 6-10) would be a good STEP from the team that was last year

Hang in there folks........

If you don't see some of the improvement over last year you aren't watching the games

This year..... ON THIS PLAN....... was a fight to be mediocre 

Do I like to lose....... NO!!!

But I see a plan in the works!

Go Colts.......

Deano

people are mad about the way we are losing.  nobody accepts dropped passes.  the jets are not world beaters either, but they looked like it yesterday 

I think that there are more than just 2 ways to build a team. You have provided 2 extreme examples:

Plan 1 - Win it Now Plan

Strategy -

Collect any and all talent, NOW.

Plan 2 - Build the team internally.

Strategy -

Culture of PACED improvements in all aspects of your organization...... EVERY YEAR

Plan  #1 alludes to going all out in Free Agency, which I do not think anyone really wants. Plan # 2 really points to mainly building through the draft at a very slow and calculated pace. 

I think there is a middle ground.

Plan #3: Build the team internally, while also adding young talented players through FA that can grow with the team. Arguably, the best move in FA that Ballard made this year was to bring in Ebron. I would've loved to see more moves like that, (possibly adding Carlos Hyde, and Albert Wilson on offense and a few DBs to help the defense).  We could win now, while also letting the young guys play and develop. Instead, 1-5.