Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

1&5? Lets face some hard reality.

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

How things change. Before the season, people were talking how the AFC South could be one of the toughest, with the Colts in the mix.  Now every AFC South team has Yielded more points than Scored and is at .500 (except the 1-5 Colts).

Who could Ballard get (playmaker?) right now?  We are 1-5 and not giving up, what other team will part with a playmaker at a reasonable price? (a 1st for A. Cooper isn't it, nor a high priced long term Dez deal)).  Maybe start a thread on who/how many players (and at what cost) it would take for the Colts to contend for the division title (the only way Colts make the playoffs).

Welcome to the new NFL.  300 yards passing and 30 points are normals.  An elite D these days holds teams to 3 TD's or 2 TD's and 2 FG's consistently.  I think the days of holding a run oif teams to 13 points or less are over.

Who?  As I mentioned before, how do we get them and what does it cost?

Best scenario you get Bell and Cooper right now.  If you believe all of the reports both players are available in trade.   Cooper would play under his 5th. year option next year which we can easily afford.  Bell would need a new contract which we can also easily afford.  There are no current Colts that are under contract that we have to worry about resigning for quite a few years so it makes sense to try to acquire some young playmakers now when we have the money and the ammunition to acquire them.  Bell has obviously worn out his welcome in Pittsburgh and will become a FA after this year if he stays.  Pittsburgh will get a compensatory 3 if he leaves so we are going to have to give them a 2 and a player to beat that.  The only team I see being interested is the Eagles if they can't pry McCoy away from the Bills.  If we beat the Bills Sunday that could trigger the McCoy trade.   As it turns out the trade deadline is working in our favor and we have the bye following it.  Reports are Gruden wants a 1 for Cooper but I think a 2 and a player also gets it done.  Maybe we need to throw in a 4 as well, we have 2 of them.  We lose both 2's but we trade Brissett for a 2 before the draft to pick up a pick in that round.  We have two young playmakers and picks in every round.  Very doable in my opinion.  If we can't get Bell we wait and sign him in FA.  Then it's just Cooper and give Gruden both 2's if necessary and you still trade Brissett for a 2.  We will know in a few weeks.  

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Cooper would play under his 5th. year option next year which we can easily afford.  

But he has issues with drops too.

"Over the past three seasons going into 2018, , Cooper has had a drop rate of 13.62 percent, which ranks fourth-worst in the NFL (among qualifying receivers) behind Torrey Smith (16.82), J.J. Nelson (15.91) and Raiders teammate Seth Roberts (14.39)"

Gruden said he wanted Cooper to be the 'Headliner' this year, and now he's on the trading block?  Didn't he also suffer a concussion in his last game? Hmmm...

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Bell would need a new contract which we can also easily afford.  

I would want to know if Bell would even stay in Indy next  year, and what it would take to get a deal done before even trading ... and actually doing all that is not allowed.  So I'd wait until next year and see what he wants.  But that means competing against other interested teams...

Who knows... Steelers might "Transition Tag' Bell next year, and match any off a team makes for Bell.  We do not know what will happen.

I think the chance we trade (before the end of this months trading deadline) for Cooper is low, and Bell is near zero.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Best scenario you get Bell and Cooper right now.  If you believe all of the reports both players are available in trade.   Cooper would play under his 5th. year option next year which we can easily afford.  Bell would need a new contract which we can also easily afford.  There are no current Colts that are under contract that we have to worry about resigning for quite a few years so it makes sense to try to acquire some young playmakers now when we have the money and the ammunition to acquire them.  Bell has obviously worn out his welcome in Pittsburgh and will become a FA after this year if he stays.  Pittsburgh will get a compensatory 3 if he leaves so we are going to have to give them a 2 and a player to beat that.  The only team I see being interested is the Eagles if they can't pry McCoy away from the Bills.  If we beat the Bills Sunday that could trigger the McCoy trade.   As it turns out the trade deadline is working in our favor and we have the bye following it.  Reports are Gruden wants a 1 for Cooper but I think a 2 and a player also gets it done.  Maybe we need to throw in a 4 as well, we have 2 of them.  We lose both 2's but we trade Brissett for a 2 before the draft to pick up a pick in that round.  We have two young playmakers and picks in every round.  Very doable in my opinion.  If we can't get Bell we wait and sign him in FA.  Then it's just Cooper and give Gruden both 2's if necessary and you still trade Brissett for a 2.  We will know in a few weeks.  

None of that is going to happen.   The GM isn't giving away all those draft picks.   

18 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

None of that is going to happen.   The GM isn't giving away all those draft picks.   

We trade away three picks and get one back with Brissett, net loss of two.  You gain two young proven playmakers who start right away and solve two of our biggest needs.  But you're right. It won't happen because Ballard wants to roll the dice with the draft and save that cap space for who knows who is going to be available. 

22 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

We trade away three picks and get one back with Brissett, net loss of two.  You gain two young proven playmakers who start right away and solve two of our biggest needs.  But you're right. It won't happen because Ballard wants to roll the dice with the draft and save that cap space for who knows who is going to be available. 

Bell and Cooper will both be available next year.   Stupid to give away high draft picks on guys who will be free agents next year.   The raiders aren't going to use the option if they are trying to trade him now.   Also,   Cooper hasn't been great the last year and a half.   His first 2 seasons were very good