Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How much time does Ballard realistically have?

Trace Pyott

First of all let me state that I am in no way advocating firing Ballard. I actually like what he did this draft and I’m still on board with his over all plan. I do wish we spent a little more of our free agent money. My question is when does he start feeling the heat to bring this team from a rebuilding upstart that let’s be honest is sometimes hard to watch, to a team that is feared league wide? When is the point that he begins to sweat and fear for his job security?  I’m not too keen on how  long losing general managers keep their jobs so I was just wondering what is  the avg time a gm with a consistent losing record (even if it’s a rebuilding team ..... most losing teams are rebuilding btw) how long do you guys think he’s got if things continue the way they have?  Also will the added pressure cause him to be more aggressive in the free agent market knowing he’s got a shorter leash and needs to make it happen sooner than later??  

• Like 2

I am really getting tired of people making excuses for CB.  We are approaching 2 years in, we should be seeing SOME improvement.

CB has done nothing....NOTHING to show me he has what it takes to rebuild this team.

A guard and a safety with 2 high picks?

Failure to supply a servicable WR crew?

Coaching fiasco?

No FA's to speak of?

Drafts are very suspect.

But hey, if you ask CB (and many of his white knight fans on this board, he is the greatest GM ever!

This team is 5-17 since he took over and getting worse.

Think about that.

• Like 8

Stupid question to ask, not even two years into the regime,and not yet halfway into the GM’s handpicked coaching staff’s first year.

As a generality, unless there is overwhelming evidence of complete incompetency, it’s asinine to not go into things realizing that one needs to be given 5-ish years to be able to make a sound evaluation.  LOSER organizations are the ones that have regime turnover every 2-3 years and uneducated fans are the ones that call for such frequent regime change.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

When you change both offensive and defensive schemes, it takes more than two seasons.  

thank you!! at least someone gets it. These negative people who call themselves fans need to understand that Rome was not build in a day Even though sometimes i wish it were:Cry:

3 minutes ago, threeflight said:

I am really getting tired of people making excuses for CB.  We are approaching 2 years in, we should be seeing SOME improvement.

CB has done nothing....NOTHING to show me he has what it takes to rebuild this team.

Coaching fiasco?

No FA's to speak of?

Drafts are very suspect.

But hey, if you ask CB (and many of his white knight fans on this board, he is the greatest GM ever!

Think about that.

I am getting really sick and tired of your incessant whining and crying. Every post you make shows how little you understand the real NFL. Stick to Madden. It's more your speed. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Coaching fiasco?

No FA's to speak of?

Drafts are very suspect.

Think about that.

6 games in to essentially a brand new team, yeah lets throw him to the wolves. Got it.

• Like 1

Ballard, as far as I'm concerned, is in year one of his plan. It isn't his fault that Irsay hamstrung Ballard with one more pointless year of Pagano and his worthless staff and somewhat wasted a bit of his draft to accommodate Pagano's effort to save his job last year.

We could be one year ahead had Irsay allowed Ballard to do what he felt was needed from the moment Ballard accepted the job and signed his contract.

1 minute ago, Shadow_Creek said:

thank you!! at least someone gets it. These negative people who call themselves fans need to understand that Rome was not build in a day Even though sometimes i wish it were:Cry:

Its what happened last time we changed GMs.  Went from a Moore offense to an Arians O, a Tampa 2 to a fatty 34.  The difference was that the previous GM spent some money, nothing guaranteed, to get some mid level veterans who could actually play and compete.  Ballard isn't trying to win yet.

I'm not saying which approach is better.  I'm just explaining what I see is the difference, and what it takes to really change over both schemes via solely the draft.

1 minute ago, Pelt said:

Ballard, as far as I'm concerned, is in year one of his plan. It isn't his fault that Irsay hamstrung Ballard with one more pointless year of Pagano and his worthless staff and somewhat wasted a bit of his draft to accommodate Pagano's effort to save his job last year.

We could be one year ahead had Irsay allowed Ballard to do what he felt was needed from the moment Ballard accepted the job and signed his contract.

I don't think that happened at all. 

If appeasing Pagano was the basis for drafting Hooker and Wilson, Ballard should have little respect among this forum.

I'm assuming he drafted them because he thought they were good players who could make a difference no matter what scheme was being used.

And they still might be.  I'm taking issue with the notion that any of Ballard's picks were the result of giving Pagano what he wanted.

1 minute ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I am not very impressed yet either. But I understand that he will be given several years to see if he can fix this mess. Hope his eye for talent is better than it has seemed to be thus far.  We still need some friggin play makers at the skill positions.

Forgetting the coaching debacle.....my two biggest pet peeves with CB are his complete lack of interest in getting anyone of real consequence in the FA market, and his drafting of a safety and a guard, 2 of the least important positions on the field, with 2 very high first round draft picks. 

And may I mention that so far, neither looks like a super all Pro player.  Good, but not great.  IF you are going to draft so high on positions that are so unimportant, they had better be dominant.

They are not.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

I don't think that happened at all. 

If appeasing Pagano was the basis for drafting Hooker and Wilson, Ballard should have little respect among this forum.

I'm assuming he drafted them because he thought they were good players who could make a difference no matter what scheme was being used.

And they still might be.  I'm taking issue with the notion that any of Ballard's picks were the result of giving Pagano what he wanted.

Agree.  Just no way in hell CB drafted guys that Pagano wanted.  

IF he did, he should be fired now.

• Like 1

Just now, threeflight said:

Forgetting the coaching debacle.....my two biggest pet peeves with CB are his complete lack of interest in getting anyone of real consequence in the FA market, and his drafting of a safety and a guard, 2 of the least important positions on the field, with 2 very high first round draft picks. 

And may I mention that so far, neither looks like a super all Pro player.  Good, but not great.  IF you are going to draft so high on positions that are so unimportant, they had better be dominant.

They are not.

So a rookie and a guy that missed half of his rookie season aren't all pro yet?  That is odd

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

So a rookie and a guy that missed half of his rookie season aren't all pro yet?  That is odd

For all of the white knighting I see about Nelson in this forum, I see him get blown up A TON.

And Hooker?  He is pretty good.  Not great but pretty good.  The issue is the Colts don't use him to put him in positions to make plays.  Which again....is part of being a safety.  

A safety is a safety valve...not a almost every down playmaker.

2 minutes ago, threeflight said:

They are not.

Can’t really argue with that. Especially on the free agent front.  Hopefully he goes after better talent going forward.  Thus far he has been bargain bin shopping and sitting on our cap money.

As far as drafting Nelson this year...I do get Ballard there.  After the beating Luck has been taking we had to do something to try to protect him.  I just wish he would have also spent some of our free agent money on one of the top veteran Olineman to further solidify our line. As it stands right now it is still under construction.  

Just now, threeflight said:

For all of the white knighting I see about Nelson in this forum, I see him get blown up A TON.

And Hooker?  He is pretty good.  Not great but pretty good.  The issue is the Colts don't use him to put him in positions to make plays.  Which again....is part of being a safety.  

No player other than QB is an every down play maker.   And you haven't seen Nelson get blown up A TON 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Coaching fiasco?

No FA's to speak of?

Drafts are very suspect.

Think about that.

A whole 2 years. glad you have a lot of patience. I mean 2 years is a lot  :funny:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, threeflight said:

hooker is placed in a good position for play making the only difference is this is not the 3-4 D were he was racking up picks last year but at the end of the day he got one today which is a darn good start

25 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Coaching fiasco?

No FA's to speak of?

Drafts are very suspect.

Think about that.

Oh man...give him some time. It takes 3 to 5 years to build a team in today's NFL...sarcasm

1 minute ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Oh man...give him some time. It takes 3 to 5 years to build a team in today's NFL...sarcasm

LOL yup.

The days of taking 5 years to rebuild in the NFL are over.  Most teams are so close talent wise that all it takes is a few key players to at least make the playoffs.

The issue the Colts have are imo they are one of the few teams with so few playmakers AND just generally ok players ( I include depth in that) that they are a long long way from doing anything.

This is easily one of the most nonsensical threads on the board. Ballard is building a team from the bottom up, not for just a quick run at a title (like horsemouth did with the broncos), but for the long haul. Patience is the key. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, threeflight said:

I stopped reading right here. You're either a liar or an * who is clueless and hasn't watched a single game this years. Those are the only two options.

Nelsons had a few bad plays here or there but is FAR from being blown up. Matter of fact I can only think of one play out of the last 6 games where it could be said he got "blown up".

go away bandwagoner. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

I stopped reading right here. You're either a liar or an * who is clueless and hasn't watched a single game this years. Those are the only two options.

Nelsons had a few bad plays here or there but is FAR from being blown up. Matter of fact I can only think of one play out of the last 6 games where it could be said he got "blown up".

go away bandwagoner. 

Nelson is ranked mid to lower bottom or all guards in the NFL so far this year.

That isn't All Pro to me.

And btw....Chubb with 3 sacks so far today.....THOSE are gamechangers.

40 minutes ago, Trace Pyott said:

First of all let me state that I am in no way advocating firing Ballard. I actually like what he did this draft and I’m still on board with his over all plan. I do wish we spent a little more of our free agent money. My question is when does he start feeling the heat to bring this team from a rebuilding upstart that let’s be honest is sometimes hard to watch, to a team that is feared league wide? When is the point that he begins to sweat and fear for his job security?  I’m not too keen on how  long losing general managers keep their jobs so I was just wondering what is  the avg time a gm with a consistent losing record (even if it’s a rebuilding team ..... most losing teams are rebuilding btw) how long do you guys think he’s got if things continue the way they have?  Also will the added pressure cause him to be more aggressive in the free agent market knowing he’s got a shorter leash and needs to make it happen sooner than later??  

bla bla bla bla bla
Which teams are feared League wide now. Maybe 2-3. So good luck. Maybe by 2020 we can be one of the 8-10 teams expected to compete for the SB.
 Job security? After 2021.
 Irsay and Ballard warned you who do not follow this stuff much that last year and this one may be tough. WOW! 
 So another good draft and a couple really good FA next off season, with a second off season in these systems, and things will be Expected to be considerably better in 2019.
A very simple, common, restocking of the roster. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Chubb wasn't on the board at the time we picked. 

Next *ic response?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, threeflight said:

I'd like to see your source as I can find no updated OL ratings since Aug 30th on google. 

Edit:

only thing ive found is from Thursday this past week, ranking Nelson as "good" the second highest tier possible by PFF, ranked 26th out of all guards in the league.

15 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

Well he said it was going to be a 3 year rebuild. So if we are still this bad next year then we might need to take a closer look at Ballard and his draft picks/lack of free agents. 

Na.,Andrew probably has another 10 to 15 years left so let's take our time, save our money ,and draft wisely with all the top 5 picks we will have for the next 5 or 6 years.

Ballard himself said it’s a 3 year rebuild. If by year 3 we haven’t improved then he’s on the hot seat. If by year 5 we are still a below average to average team then he needs to go. Ballard has all the resources he needs to succeed, something good GMs rarely have. High draft picks and a huge budget should make his job relatively easy. So if he does nothing with that then it’s time for us to move on. 

2 hours ago, threeflight said:

Chubb has showed up for one game and he has Von Miller playing on the other side.  O line takes time to gel.  I keep saying it.  If they r injury free and have their starters u will c a very good O line by week 9. Oh and Denver still  lost the game because  all their game changers on D