Click here to get your free tickets for Colts Training Camp today!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pacergeek

Fire Eberflus

Latest from Bob Kravitz:

https://www.wthr.com/article/kravitz-dopey-report-card-colts-vs-jets-october-14-2018

PASS DEFENSE: F

Sam Darnold, the rookie quarterback, had played like a rookie most of the season.

Some good moments, some rookie moments, but the Colts, who didn't seem to know which way was up Sunday, allowed him to complete 24 of 30 passes for 280 efficient yards, two touchdowns and a 113.9 quarterback rating.

They played zone, they got wrecked. They played some man-to-man, they got wrecked. Receivers were wide open all afternoon, especially over the middle. And it's not like injuries were an issue. Nate Hairston, Pierre Desir, Kenny Moore II, all the regulars were back there, and they were embarrassed.

The only highlight was a Malik Hooker interception, his first of the season.

The Colts have given up a lot of points this season, but that was easily the worst performance of the season, especially by the perpetually confused secondary and linebackers...

Cover 2 is too easy to beat. Too many holes in the zone. I’ve always liked the 3-4 press man coverage better. We we’re at our best when Vontae Davis shut down half of the field. There needs to be major changes to the defensive scheme. 

When we play a 4-3, we hate it.  When we play a 3-4, we hate it.  Zone - hate it.  Man - hate it.  

Why is that?  It's not the scheme, it's the talent.  

That said, this defense has been better than some of the scorelines and numbers would indicate.  With the turnovers they have provided, you should not be 1-5.  

29 minutes ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

Cover 2 is too easy to beat. Too many holes in the zone. I’ve always liked the 3-4 press man coverage better. We we’re at our best when Vontae Davis shut down half of the field. There needs to be major changes to the defensive scheme. 

It's not gonna happen.   But when we go to man,   the confusion needs to be corrected.   That's the issue with the slants on 3rd down

39 minutes ago, #12. said:

When we play a 4-3, we hate it.  When we play a 3-4, we hate it.  Zone - hate it.  Man - hate it.  

Why is that?  It's not the scheme, it's the talent.  

That said, this defense has been better than some of the scorelines and numbers would indicate.  With the turnovers they have provided, you should not be 1-5.  

Technically it is the wins that matter, but by the eye test, this is a .500 team.  

On 10/14/2018 at 7:24 PM, Pacergeek said:

NFL is not a rebuilding league, like MLB and NBA. Teams go from 4 wins to the playoffs quite frequently. Eagles missed playoffs, and won SB next year. This whole "rebuild with patience" plan is something Ballard cooked up to give himself a built in excuse when he fails. With a healthy Luck, we are 1-5. This is beyond pathetic. 

Did a little searching on the previous season record for super bowl winners.  Here is what I found:

Eagles previous season record: 7-9

Pats previous season record: 12-4

Broncos previous season record: 12-4

Pats previous season record: 12-4

Seahawks previous season record: 11-5

Ravens previous season record: 12-4

Not really a bunch of scrubs there.  So yes, teams can go from not being in the playoffs to being in the playoffs, but that doesn't make them contenders.  I don't care if the Colts go to the playoffs this year.  I want this team to built to be a regular contender again.

8 hours ago, OregonapolisColtsFan said:

Just north of portland, small little town called st helens. Home of Halloweentown, the disney movie :thmup: ive heard alaska is absolutely gorgeous as well glad you like oregon at everything we have to offer though! I love our ocean as well

Very cool.  I am originally from Indy but have lived in the Portland area since 2003.  I really do love it here.  Me and the wife spent the weekend up near Cle Elum Washington hiking.  Man there are so many great places to go explore!

4 hours ago, gspdx said:

Very cool.  I am originally from Indy but have lived in the Portland area since 2003.  I really do love it here.  Me and the wife spent the weekend up near Cle Elum Washington hiking.  Man there are so many great places to go explore!

Totally agree! Multnomah falls is a fantastic hike if you havent done it, i highly recommend! It is amazing, but pretty difficult. Also saddle mountain:thmup:

7 hours ago, gspdx said:

And if that doesn't work out how quickly do you fire him?

4 or 5 games max... Lol.

6 hours ago, OregonapolisColtsFan said:

Totally agree! Multnomah falls is a fantastic hike if you havent done it, i highly recommend! It is amazing, but pretty difficult. Also saddle mountain:thmup:

Saddle Mountain out by Camp 18 on Highway 26?  Love it.  Did in late March a few years back and the top half was all snow.  Beautiful views of the coast from up there.

I try to stay away from Multnomah Falls right now.  Too many people and the fires last year.  We used to do the Wahkeena Falls/Multnomah Falls loop.  Amazing area.

And you can't beat the Oregon coast and beaches - unless you want to swim!

I love the guys who blow up the forums with non stop negative stuff about the Colts... Fire this guy, fire that guy stuff... I mean I get once in awhile (I ranted on this forum after the McDaniels fiasco), but some dudes are just non stop negative rant machines about the Colts. It's sad. 

Guys like that remind me of the friend you have who talks non stop about his ex girlfriend, while swearing he doesn't even care or think about her. 

If you think the Colts are trash and everyone should be fired, why continue to invest effort or time ranting in Colts forums. Watch some Pacers games or something. 

39 minutes ago, Ratking said:

I love the guys who blow up the forums with non stop negative stuff about the Colts... Fire this guy, fire that guy stuff... I mean I get once in awhile (I ranted on this forum after the McDaniels fiasco), but some dudes are just non stop negative rant machines about the Colts. It's sad. 

Guys like that remind me of the friend you have who talks non stop about his ex girlfriend, while swearing he doesn't even care or think about her. 

If you think the Colts are trash and everyone should be fired, why continue to invest effort or time ranting in Colts forums. Watch some Pacers games or something. 

:) seems that way, yes?

We haven't even acquired the correct type of players for the new defense scheme. And our offensive (they are) skill players (they aren't) leave much to be desired right now as well.  Let's let Ballard, Reich, and Eberflus build their roster with players that 'fit' their vision and let them play and improve.  That's how you build a winning culture.

On 10/15/2018 at 8:46 AM, ColtsBlueFL said:

Yes, (2 is even better) and a tough in the box safety like Bob sanders/John Lynch.  We have our WILL, and FS.  We also need to develop/get a tough, mean, penetrating 3 tech, and multifaceted MIKE.  D will come along.

In these passing league days, we need elite offense skill players.  The days of an elite D limiting teams to 13 points are over.  It's Star Wars numbers.  On average, 6 out of 10 plays are a pass (Colts are around 7 out of 10).  Polian surrounded Peyton with top shelf O players.  At some point, Ballard will have to as well.

Yep...the current approach to the skill positions is misguided. Just look at the pts/game averages this season vs. last season. The Colts are averaging 25.3 pts/game...which would have been a top 10 offense last season. This season...it's closer to average. I don't see this trend going the other way.

My hope is that the current status is a result of using/prioritizing resources elsewhere for now...and not the actual plan. But given that they are actually bringing in players (just not top-tier talent)...I think it's probably somewhere in-between. Hopefully, this season will change that.

I like Eberflus. He seems to be installing the new culture just as much as Reich is. And I think he's been doing wonders for our LB'ers, or at least Leonard and Walker.

I don't like the scheme much, but hopefully it'll get better as we get more talent and better fits on defense. Hopefully.

5 hours ago, gspdx said:

Saddle Mountain out by Camp 18 on Highway 26?  Love it.  Did in late March a few years back and the top half was all snow.  Beautiful views of the coast from up there.

I try to stay away from Multnomah Falls right now.  Too many people and the fires last year.  We used to do the Wahkeena Falls/Multnomah Falls loop.  Amazing area.

And you can't beat the Oregon coast and beaches - unless you want to swim!

Ive hiked saddle mountain once and unfortunately clouds were so thick you could see no more than 10 feet in front of you, but it was so cool still! 

Totally didnt even think about that, that sucks because i hike multnomah every year with my mom for mothers day! Maybe time for a new tradition for a few years.

Agree about the beaches for sure, if only the water wasnt so cold all the time!

EagleCreekFire.jpg.b43e05414acaebe6991572e458a5c7e2.jpg

1 hour ago, OregonapolisColtsFan said:

Totally didnt even think about that, that sucks because i hike multnomah every year with my mom for mothers day! Maybe time for a new tradition for a few years.

That was a pretty sad week.