Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fire Eberflus

Pacergeek

3 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

However good the defense looked, at the beginning of the season, was fools gold. Just got shredded by a Rookie QB. Cover 2 is obsolete. Way too easy to game plan. Helped out Darold with it’s simplicity. Oklahoma had the guts to fire their D Coordinator after losing to Texas. Colts should follow their lead 

Just out of curiosity.....

Who gets fired 5 games into a season where the coach is new and the talent is seriously lacking at this point in a re-build?       Who?

The answer is............            No one.

Cover 2 is what Ballard wants to run.    Says that's what the top teams are winning with.

Eberflus agrees with him.      The chances of the new DC becoming the old DC over night are right around slim and none.   And, as the saying goes,  Slim is riding out of town....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't know if you remember but I wanted Hunt a couple years ago. Posted it in here a lot and he went in Round 3. I am still all in on Bell now.

Me too unless we plan on taking a RB in the 1st. So far I haven’t seen any college RBs who are top 10 picks. So maybe Bell would be the better decision

4 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

Me too unless we plan on taking a RB in the 1st. So far I haven’t seen any college RBs who are top 10 picks. So maybe Bell would be the better decision

I am still out of LIKES but the reason why I am all in on Bell is, I think we should Draft a Corner and a WR. Bell is still only 26 and proven.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Just out of curiosity.....

Who gets fired 5 games into a season where the coach is new and the talent is seriously lacking at this point in a re-build?       Who?

The answer is............            No one.

Cover 2 is what Ballard wants to run.    Says that's what the top teams are winning with.

Eberflus agrees with him.      The chances of the new DC becoming the old DC over night are right around slim and none.   And, as the saying goes,  Slim is riding out of town....

NFL is not a rebuilding league, like MLB and NBA. Teams go from 4 wins to the playoffs quite frequently. Eagles missed playoffs, and won SB next year. This whole "rebuild with patience" plan is something Ballard cooked up to give himself a built in excuse when he fails. With a healthy Luck, we are 1-5. This is beyond pathetic. 

10 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

NFL is not a rebuilding league, like MLB and NBA. Teams go from 4 wins to the playoffs quite frequently. Eagles missed playoffs, and won SB next year. This whole "rebuild with patience" plan is something Ballard cooked up to give himself a built in excuse when he fails. With a healthy Luck, we are 1-5. This is beyond pathetic. 

The Eagles were 7-9 before they won the SB.    The Colts are doing a complete rebuild because our roster was in much worse shape.

You don’t like Ballard?   Your choice. You don’t like the new DC?  Your choice.

You don’t like a 3-year rebuild?   Your choice.

I just don’t think you’re going to get the feedback you’re looking for.

Your call.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Eagles were 7-9 before they won the SB.    The Colts are doing a complete rebuild because our roster was in much worse shape.

You don’t like Ballard?   Your choice. You don’t like the new DC?  Your choice.

You don’t like a 3-year rebuild?   Your choice.

I just don’t think you’re going to get the feedback you’re looking for.

Your call.

Is 7-9 supposed to be a good record? Eagles sucked in 2016

Just now, Pacergeek said:

Is 7-9 supposed to be a good record? Eagles sucked in 2016

Whatever they were...   they were much better than what Ballard inherited.   This is a COMPLETE rebuild that so far Irsay has supported.  

We will find out in the off-season if he continues to support the slow and steady rebuild.    Maybe.   Maybe not.

We will find out in March when free agency rolls around.

• Like 1

I don't have an opinion on Eberflus but I'll say this. For the first time in a very very long time Indy looks like they have a legitimate linebacking Corp.  Walker and Leonard (it they continue their current trajectory) are going to be a top 10 unit in the entire NFL. Before Eberflus that would be a dream. Not saying it's all him and also not saying it's just the talent of these 2 but for sure something is different than the past 15 years. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

However good the defense looked, at the beginning of the season, was fools gold. Just got shredded by a Rookie QB. Cover 2 is obsolete. Way too easy to game plan. Helped out Darold with it’s simplicity. Oklahoma had the guts to fire their D Coordinator after losing to Texas. Colts should follow their lead 

Turnovers led to 16 points, and of the four turnovers (yes I'm counting the one on downs), only one resulted in a touchdown. On seven possessions we held them to field goals with two of our starting safeties out along with Hunt and Autry. I think our DEFENSE is doing fine. Now our offense on the other hand.....

We need a couple of good pass rushers to make this scheme work, and enough man coverage thrown in at some point. If we cannot land those, I do not think Eberflus' scheme will lend itself to winning in the playoffs, if and when we get there. However, extreme rhetoric is not necessary at this point.

Polian and Dungy had Freeney and Mathis, and even then, until Marlin Jackson and Kelvin Hayden came along for being physical at the line of scrimmage, we could not win in the back end. Till then, it was zone and cushion and letting 2-3 step drops making it easy to negate Freeney and Mathis. Elite QBs, I really have not seen zone coverage bother them come playoff time without enough man coverage thrown in. 

Lots more talent needs to be added and for those who think early round CBs are not needed in this scheme, the above 2, Marlin Jackson and Kelvin Hayden just provide a reminder. That is all I am going to say. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Whatever they were...   they were much better than what Ballard inherited.   This is a COMPLETE rebuild that so far Irsay has supported.  

We will find out in the off-season if he continues to support the slow and steady rebuild.    Maybe.   Maybe not.

We will find out in March when free agency rolls around.

A voice of reason.  Thank you sir.  What I've been saying the entire time since Ballard was hired.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, OregonapolisColtsFan said:

Both! I started watching football maybe 15 years ago, first game i saw was colts and manning. Have been a colts fan ever since! It helped that the seahawks were terrible back then too:D

Oregon is a beautiful state, I have traveled to the Pacific Northwest a few times.  I really enjoyed Oregon as well as Washington, Western Montana and Idaho.  A lot of diverse scenery and environments, just a ton a different things to do wether in the cities, coastline or mountains.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OregonapolisColtsFan said:

Both! I started watching football maybe 15 years ago, first game i saw was colts and manning. Have been a colts fan ever since! It helped that the seahawks were terrible back then too:D

Where are you in Oregon? I moved down from AK almost a year ago. I was born in Indiana will  make it home one day. I've grown to love being near the ocean it'll be tough to leave that behind. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

giphy.gif

please-dont-hotlink.png

16 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

They need a pass rusher.  

Yes, (2 is even better) and a tough in the box safety like Bob sanders/John Lynch.  We have our WILL, and FS.  We also need to develop/get a tough, mean, penetrating 3 tech, and multifaceted MIKE.  D will come along.

In these passing league days, we need elite offense skill players.  The days of an elite D limiting teams to 13 points are over.  It's Star Wars numbers.  On average, 6 out of 10 plays are a pass (Colts are around 7 out of 10).  Polian surrounded Peyton with top shelf O players.  At some point, Ballard will have to as well.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Yes, (2 is even better) and a tough in the box safety like Bob sanders/John Lynch.  We have our WILL, and FS.  We also need to develop/get a tough, mean, penetrating 3 tech, and multifaceted MIKE.  D will come along.

In these passing league days, we need elite offense skill players.  The days of an elite D limiting teams to 13 points are over.  It's Star Wars numbers.  On average, 6 out of 10 plays are a pass (Colts are around 7 out of 10).  Polian surrounded Peyton with top shelf O players.  At some point, Ballard will have to as well.

Who would have thought Irsay would want to go back to Star Wars numbers again? :) 

Polian just missed out on the complete team aspect, and I am hoping Ballard takes care of that part.

2013 Seahawks and 2015 Broncos, those kinds of teams with once in 2 decades type of defense does not come together too often. A defensive team like the Ravens did not win the SB till Flacco went on his offensive run.

11 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

I don't think you understand how football works.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I know this is a troll thread but I have more issue with the personal than the coaching.  

Leonard is a keeper.  Everyone else is replaceable.

Turay has gotten some good pressure.  Hooker will likely return to form.  

They have a few pieces but they have huge liabilities.  Outside of Hooker the secondary (especially the corners) are weak.  

I think we need DBs that can play man coverage a little bit better.   That's why we keep getting stuck in these zones all the time when we need to be playing man coverage at certain points.   The Jets had a lot of different size matchups on us also.   We still should have beaten them if you minus out the stupid gimmee turnovers and what not.   We just can't get out of our own way.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cynjin said:

Oregon is a beautiful state, I have traveled to the Pacific Northwest a few times.  I really enjoyed Oregon as well as Washington, Western Montana and Idaho.  A lot of diverse scenery and environments, just a ton a different things to do wether in the cities, coastline or mountains.

Absolutely, i love it out here. I havent 

Travelled a whole lot, farthest ive been is montana. i would love to make it out east eventually, i have a cousin that lives out there. He said he loves it.

8 hours ago, akcolt said:

Where are you in Oregon? I moved down from AK almost a year ago. I was born in Indiana will  make it home one day. I've grown to love being near the ocean it'll be tough to leave that behind. 

Just north of portland, small little town called st helens. Home of Halloweentown, the disney movie :thmup: ive heard alaska is absolutely gorgeous as well glad you like oregon at everything we have to offer though! I love our ocean as well

7 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

Tampa Bay fired their Defensive Coordinator. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24990373/buccaneers-fire-defensive-coordinator-mike-smith

We should follow suit. Let's give Robert Mathis the keys, and see how good of a coach he is. I know I would listen to him

I love Robert,   but that's a terrible idea.   Maybe your worst one

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

Tampa Bay fired their Defensive Coordinator. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24990373/buccaneers-fire-defensive-coordinator-mike-smith

We should follow suit. Let's give Robert Mathis the keys, and see how good of a coach he is. I know I would listen to him

Troll, they didn't do this 5 games into his tenure with them. 

• Like 1

On 10/14/2018 at 3:20 PM, #12. said:

How many points did they get off turnovers and short fields?  20-23?  Going for it on 4th in our own end was essentially another turnover.  

They weren't great, but they weren't as bad as the final score would indicate.  The D also got two turnovers on the opponent's side, but we only got 6 points off of them.

I'm not suggesting anyone get fired, I'm actually a fan of The Eber.  But I disagree with the bolded.  The defense was bad against the Jets.

Here is the thing, IMO.  It's a passing league, defenses need to be able to stop the pass and the Colts have not done that since the Redskins game, and they didn't do it real well in the Skins game it's just the Skins tried to throw 7 yards hoping the WR would make someone miss and gain 12-15.  Now teams are running those routes 12-15, so they are well behind the LBers and far enough in front of the safeties.  It's usually a catch and tackle but it's 12 yards down the field. I think the D and Eber should worry less about the run, drop the LBers back further and force those WRs to either go deeper (so the safeties can make a play on the ball) or force them to cut off more shallow so the LBers can make a play on the ball before the sticks.  I don't believe a team can keep up with Luck and the offense by running the ball.  It would be better, IMO, for the Colts to give up 150 yards a game rushing and 200 through the air rather than 300+ yards in the air and 80 yards rushing.

• Like 1