Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Simulated Mock Drafts for the 2019 NFL Draft

I think Ballard likes to double up on positions in drafts to create more competition. I also went all in on this draft this year to try to speed up the "rebuilding" process. High risk high reward. I traded our first round pick this year and our first round pick next year for Oaklands first round pick 25 and 27 and their second round pick two. 

25: R1P25

EDGE JACHAI POLITE- very high ceiling perfect for robert mathis to work with

FLORIDA

27: R1P27

DL JEFFERY SIMMONS- 3 technique with character issues can move blockers very well

MISSISSIPPI STATE

34: R2P2

CB DEANDRE BAKER- little smaller but great cover corner

GEORGIA

36: R2P4

DL DEXTER LAWRENCE- nose tackle can take up blockers stop the run and get to the quarterback. 

CLEMSON

51: R2P19

CB AMANI ORUWARIYE- big corner better for zone so should fit our system well

PENN STATE

82: R3P18

WR KELVIN HARMON- big body great awareness could be a good number 2 but we have bad luck with receivers for some reason

NC STATE

121: R4P19

OT KALEB MCGARY- good back up at right tackle before smith got settled in right tackle was a revolving door

WASHINGTON

135: R4P33

LB JOE GILES-HARRIS- good coverage linebacker should fit in great with our WLB & MLB.  Anthony Walker went down this week and you could tell he wasn't in the lineup

DUKE

158: R5P19

OT ISAIAH PRINCE- ballard wants ten olinemen so he is going to keep drafting them

OHIO STATE

193: R6P18

QB JARRETT STIDHAM- getting an option so we have an option to  trade Jacoby and get more draft capital

AUBURN

235: R7P19

EDGE ULYSEES GILBERT III- throwing a dart in the seventh round because i like his name

AKRON

• 3 weeks later...

Here's my post playoffs attempt:

26: R1P26

DL JEFFERY SIMMONS

MISSISSIPPI STATE

CB DEANDRE BAKER

GEORGIA

58: R2P26

WR MARQUISE BROWN

OKLAHOMA

89: R3P25

WR HAKEEM BUTLER

IOWA STATE

128: R4P26

EDGE JAYLON FERGUSON

LOUISIANA TECH

RB DAVID MONTGOMERY

IOWA STATE

165: R5P26

TE KADEN SMITH

STANFORD

200: R6P25

LB GARY JOHNSON

TEXAS

242: R7P26

WR GREG DORTCH

WAKE FOREST

Thoughts?

• Like 1

This is my latest attempt:  I think it's a draft we could (as fans) be happy with.

LB DEVIN WHITE - Imagine our LB core w/ DL, AW and DW!!

LSU

DL DEXTER LAWRENCE - Disruptive  DL who can also rush the QB

CLEMSON

WR N'KEAL HARRY - Big bodied WR for 50/50 balls

ARIZONA STATE

C DALTON RISNER - Best center in draft, need a backup for if/when Kelly goes down, can also be a G

KANSAS STATE

S DARNELL SAVAGE JR. - Backup / replacement for Geathers

MARYLAND

RB KARAN HIGDON - Depth RB

MICHIGAN

Honestly, don't know much about the last few picks, just got best value based on draft position

CB MYLES BRYANT

WASHINGTON

EDGE MALIK REED

NEVADA

EDGE SUTTON SMITH

NORTHERN ILLINOIS

It's too early for me to draft by player / position. A lot depends on whether we want to transition from Cover 2 to something different / diversify on defense. Pass rush and WR seem obvious - but we will need to see how FA pans out before setting draft priorities.

Pretty sure I've seen every single one of these picks, with the exception of the last one, mocked in the first round on various mocks that I've come across. So... Super realistic, lol. Here's hoping!

DL CHRISTIAN WILKINS

CLEMSON

EDGE BRIAN BURNS

FLORIDA STATE

WR N'KEAL HARRY

ARIZONA STATE

CB JULIAN LOVE

NOTRE DAME

DL RASHARD LAWRENCE

LSU

S C GARDNER-JOHNSON

FLORIDA

LB DEVIN BUSH

MICHIGAN

TE IRV SMITH JR.

ALABAMA

G BOBBY EVANS

OKLAHOMA

DL JEFFERY SIMMONS

MISSISSIPPI STATE

S DEIONTE THOMPSON

ALABAMA

CB JULIAN LOVE

NOTRE DAME

WR KELVIN HARMON

NC STATE

RB DAMIEN HARRIS

ALABAMA

OT WILLIAM SWEET 

UNC

G ULUI LAPUAHO

BYU

WR HUNTER RENFOW

CLEMSON

EDGE CARL GRANDERSON

WYOMING

I ran this on FanSpeak. And while I know some of the picks are not realistic, but this is how the picks went. Based on that, what do you guys think?

Here is one more simulated mock draft. I went based on what I thought was good value at No.26 and on wards as I picked:

EDGE MONTEZ SWEAT

MISSISSIPPI STATE

WR HAKEEM BUTLER

IOWA STATE

S CHAUNCEY GARDNER-JOHNSON

FLORIDA

OT DALTON RISNER

KANSAS STATE

LB KHALIL HODGE

BUFFALO

RB BENNY SNELL

KENTUCKY

DL DONTAVIUS RUSSELL

AUBURN

CB BLACE BROWN

TROY

DL LJ COLLIER

TCU

I saw this detailed breakdown of Benny Snell and couldn't be anything but impressed as I dug deeper, he does not have much wear and tear, IMO:

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2018/10/6/17943600/2018-nfl-draft-prospect-profile-benny-snell-iii-rb-kentucky

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Here is one more simulated mock draft. I went based on what I thought was good value at No.26 and on wards as I picked:

EDGE MONTEZ SWEAT

MISSISSIPPI STATE

WR HAKEEM BUTLER

IOWA STATE

FLORIDA

OT DALTON RISNER

KANSAS STATE

LB KHALIL HODGE

BUFFALO

RB BENNY SNELL

KENTUCKY

DL DONTAVIUS RUSSELL

AUBURN

CB BLACE BROWN

TROY

DL LJ COLLIER

TCU

I saw this detailed breakdown of Benny Snell and couldn't be anything but impressed as I dug deeper, he does not have much wear and tear, IMO:

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2018/10/6/17943600/2018-nfl-draft-prospect-profile-benny-snell-iii-rb-kentucky

This would be an excellent draft. The value at each pick is well done. 

• Like 2

On 10/12/2018 at 11:07 AM, stitches said:

I finally decided to run a simulation on Fanspeak for the 2019 draft and ended up playing around with it for half an hour. :D

Here's a thread for everybody to post their own simulated mock drafts. Here's my first of the year: 

I don’t know how badly I would want a guy named greedy when it comes to resigning him

• Thanks 1

The thing about all of those mocks is that some of the players you have the Colts landing in the 2nd, 3rd, even 4th will be long gone before our picks in those rounds. While it would be great to land 1st-2nd round talent with the first 5 picks, it just isn't gonna happen. 

The more I read in columns by guys that know Ballard/Reich far greater than me, the more I believe that they won't end up taking a WR until the 3rd st the earliest. Ballard is gonna go defense early and often, and this is the perfect draft for that. I could see them landing one of the stud DL in the 1st, with all of the QBs that are likely to be selected way too early, then either Onumariye or Baker at CB with the 1st in the 2nd, then either a S or LB with the other 2nd. Ballard just hasn't ever been known to be aggresive when it comes to the WR position, and the odds of him starting now are slim. That being said, I'd love to see him take a Hakeem Butler, Kelvin Harmon, or DK Metcalf with on of our first 3 picks, but if I had to bet it won't be addressed that early. I think they have a lot of faith in the young WRs already on the roster. They see these guys day in and day out, so realistically they have more perspective than all of us armchair GMs have combined. I see them keeping Inman and hoping Fountain ir another of the young nucleus develops into a reliable #2. 

Hopefully they do land a Benny Snell in the middle rounds, we need a tough RB that can be used in short yardage or goal-line situations. I'm obviously a biased ND fan (sadly...thx Clemson) but would love for the Colts to add Dexter Williams from ND. He could most likely be had in the 6th round or so, and oozes with NFL RB traits. He's tough, has strong legs, and is a downhill runner; watched him break several really impressive runs this year. 

Yet another one.....

DL CHRISTIAN WILKINS

CLEMSON

S NASIR ADDERLEY

DELAWARE

WR A.J. BROWN

MISSISSIPPI

CB AMANI ORUWARIYE

PENN STATE

EDGE CHARLES OMENIHU

TEXAS

RB ELIJAH HOLYFIELD

GEORGIA

OT MARCUS NORMAN

SOUTH FLORIDA

G VENZELL BOULWARE

MIAMI

CB DAVID LONG

MICHIGAN

• 2 weeks later...

Finally had some time to try my first mock of this year and I think it turned out quite well. Traded back from the top of the second to the mid-second, picking up another 3rd rounder. 

EDGE BRIAN BURNS

FSU

Out of all the EDGE guys that could be there at 26, I like Burns the most, Oshane Ximenes is another guy I think would add some much needed pass rush if Burns is not there.

OT DALTON RISNER

KANSAS STATE

After his strong senior bowl performance there are doubts he will be there in the mid-second, have seen him mocked from the late first to the late second. Lack of a clear position might cause him to fall a little bit (wishful thinking on my part).

59: R2P27

CB AMANI ORUWARIYE

PENN STATE

Oruwariye is a perfect fit for our scheme IMO, great ball skills, excels in zone coverage. If we want to continue playing as much zone as we did last season, this should be the pick in case we go corner early.

WR JJ ARCEGA-WHITESIDE

STANFORD

I doubt Ballard takes a receiver with one of our first 2 picks, Whiteside would be good value in the third, he doesn't have the pure speed of Brown or Samuel, but is a pretty good route runner already, getting separation without top end speed and can make the contested catch consistently. I can see him being a red-zone weapon for Luck, taking some pressure off of Ebron in that regard. (Obviously Deon Cain might have to say something about that as well, but you really can't count on a guy coming off of an ACL)

S AMANI HOOKER

IOWA

I expect us to tender Farley and bring back Geathers on a short term deal, while letting Mitchell walk. But even with Farley and Geathers back, Safety remains a need. Especially if you consider that we run a lot of nickel and dime packages, Amani Hooker would provide depth and the traits required of a SS next to our other Hooker. Run support and coverage on short and intermediate routes, while Malik can be the centerfielder he was projected to be.

129: R4P27

DL KHALEN SAUNDERS

WESTERN ILLINOIS

I think that with the depth of the interior DL class, Ballard can afford to wait maybe longer than most predict to get help there, guys like Renell Wren and Saunders are disruptive players inside that can be had in round 3 or 4 (their stock is rising after the senior bowl showing however), while some of the predicted 1st or 2nd rounders like Dexter Lawrence or Dre'Mont Jones could struggle getting pressure at the next level.

WR TERRY MCLAURIN

OHIO STATE

McLaurin is the kind of prospect that's just meant to be drafted by Ballard. Yes, he's had his problems with drops, but he's got the speed, route running ability, IQ and leadership skills. Originally from Indianapolis, he was one of the leaders with the Buckeyes last year and his eloquence in interviews reminded me of a Nyheim Hines interview on GMF I watched this season. With him being compared to Nate Burleson and him being mentioned as a future CEO, I can absolutely see Ballard making this pick. 

I didn't include Round 5-7, because even rounds 3 and 4 seem to be a shot in the dark before the combine, there really is no way to foresee how things will shake out exactly, tried to get the value of the players right to a certain degree however. While Wren was there on the board in the fourth for example, I don't think he will be in reality, so I took Saunders instead. 

29 minutes ago, PureLuck said:

Finally had some time to try my first mock of this year and I think it turned out quite well. Traded back from the top of the second to the mid-second, picking up another 3rd rounder. 

EDGE BRIAN BURNS

FSU

Out of all the EDGE guys that could be there at 26, I like Burns the most, Oshane Ximenes is another guy I think would add some much needed pass rush if Burns is not there.

OT DALTON RISNER

KANSAS STATE

After his strong senior bowl performance there are doubts he will be there in the mid-second, have seen him mocked from the late first to the late second. Lack of a clear position might cause him to fall a little bit (wishful thinking on my part).

CB AMANI ORUWARIYE

PENN STATE

Oruwariye is a perfect fit for our scheme IMO, great ball skills, excels in zone coverage. If we want to continue playing as much zone as we did last season, this should be the pick in case we go corner early.

WR JJ ARCEGA-WHITESIDE

STANFORD

I doubt Ballard takes a receiver with one of our first 2 picks, Whiteside would be good value in the third, he doesn't have the pure speed of Brown or Samuel, but is a pretty good route runner already, getting separation without top end speed and can make the contested catch consistently. I can see him being a red-zone weapon for Luck, taking some pressure off of Ebron in that regard. (Obviously Deon Cain might have to say something about that as well, but you really can't count on a guy coming off of an ACL)

S AMANI HOOKER

IOWA

I expect us to tender Farley and bring back Geathers on a short term deal, while letting Mitchell walk. But even with Farley and Geathers back, Safety remains a need. Especially if you consider that we run a lot of nickel and dime packages, Amani Hooker would provide depth and the traits required of a SS next to our other Hooker. Run support and coverage on short and intermediate routes, while Malik can be the centerfielder he was projected to be.

DL KHALEN SAUNDERS

WESTERN ILLINOIS

I think that with the depth of the interior DL class, Ballard can afford to wait maybe longer than most predict to get help there, guys like Renell Wren and Saunders are disruptive players inside that can be had in round 3 or 4 (their stock is rising after the senior bowl showing however), while some of the predicted 1st or 2nd rounders like Dexter Lawrence or Dre'Mont Jones could struggle getting pressure at the next level.

WR TERRY MCLAURIN

OHIO STATE

McLaurin is the kind of prospect that's just meant to be drafted by Ballard. Yes, he's had his problems with drops, but he's got the speed, route running ability, IQ and leadership skills. Originally from Indianapolis, he was one of the leaders with the Buckeyes last year and his eloquence in interviews reminded me of a Nyheim Hines interview on GMF I watched this season. With him being compared to Nate Burleson and him being mentioned as a future CEO, I can absolutely see Ballard making this pick. 

I didn't include Round 5-7, because even rounds 3 and 4 seem to be a shot in the dark before the combine, there really is no way to foresee how things will shake out exactly, tried to get the value of the players right to a certain degree however. While Wren was there on the board in the fourth for example, I don't think he will be in reality, so I took Saunders instead. 

We have the 34th overall pick (from the Jets).

31 minutes ago, PureLuck said:

EDGE BRIAN BURNS

FSU

OT DALTON RISNER

KANSAS STATE

CB AMANI ORUWARIYE

PENN STATE

WR JJ ARCEGA-WHITESIDE

STANFORD

S AMANI HOOKER

IOWA

DL KHALEN SAUNDERS

WESTERN ILLINOIS

WR TERRY MCLAURIN

OHIO STATE

I like the idea of trading back to acquire more picks, there's a lot of talent in the 2nd-3rd Round range this year, may as well fully exploit that. 

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, stitches said:

My latest attempt:

8MvgXVy.jpg

Thoughts? 

Very good one, the team would be much improved with this draft. Where did you do this mock? Doesn't look like fanspeak, just curious?

I decided to do a little different-than-my-previous-ones type of draft and this is how it turned out:

S TAYLOR RAPP

WASHINGTON

WR A.J. BROWN

OLE MISS

CB JUSTIN LAYNE

MICHIGAN STATE

EDGE CHARLES OMENIHU

TEXAS

DL KHALEN SAUNDERS

WESTERN ILLINOIS

RB DEXTER WILLIAMS

NOTRE DAME

164: R5P26

DL RENELL WREN

ARIZONA ST

199: R6P26

TE JOSH OLIVER

SAN JOSE STATE

240: R7P26

LB DREW LEWIS

COLORADO

Some were downright surprising, as to how some players were available where they were, but I took it and ran!!! :) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Very good one, the team would be much improved with this draft. Where did you do this mock? Doesn't look like fanspeak, just curious?

I decided to do a little different-than-my-previous-ones type of draft and this is how it turned out:

S TAYLOR RAPP

WASHINGTON

WR A.J. BROWN

OLE MISS

CB JUSTIN LAYNE

MICHIGAN STATE

EDGE CHARLES OMENIHU

TEXAS

DL KHALEN SAUNDERS

WESTERN ILLINOIS

RB DEXTER WILLIAMS

NOTRE DAME

DL RENELL WREN

ARIZONA ST

TE JOSH OLIVER

SAN JOSE STATE

LB DREW LEWIS

COLORADO

Some were downright surprising, as to how some players were available where they were, but I took it and ran!!! :) 

The draft network has a draft machine/simulator. 

I like most of your pick. I don't love the Rapp pick too much. 

• Like 1

My first one on draft network simulator, was fun, thanks to @stitches for letting me know about it:

image.png.77d4de4e38f1a5fe85773c6924dc56fe.png

26 - Christian Wilkins, DT, Clemson

34 - Montez Sweat, DE, Miss. St.

59 - Taylor Rapp, S, Washington

89 - Paris Campbell, WR, Ohio State

129 - David Montgomery, RB, Iowa State

135 - Preston Williams, WR, Colorado State

164 - Mark Fields, CB, Clemson

199 - Greg Gaines, NT, Washington

240 - Isaiah Prince, OT, Ohio State

• Like 1

I tried to go a bit different with this one:

1: R1P26

TE TJ HOCKENSON

IOWA

2: R2P2

EDGE CHASE WINOVICH

MICHIGAN

3: R2P27

FLORIDA

4: R3P25

DL ANTHONY NELSON

IOWA

5: R4P27

WR PENNY HART

GEORGIA STATE

6: R4P33

CB MICHAEL JACKSON

MIAMI

7: R5P26

EDGE JUSTIN HOLLINS

OREGON

8: R6P26

CB MARK FIELDS

CLEMSON

9: R7P26

OG G NATE DAVIS

UNC-CHARLOTTE

• Like 1

DL JEFFERY SIMMONS

MISSISSIPPI ST.

S NASIR ADDERLEY

DELAWARE

WR N’KEAL HARRY

ARIZONA ST.

DL JOE JACKSON

MIAMI (FL)

RB BENNY SNELL, JR.

KENTUCKY

CB COREY BALLENTINE

WASHBURN

CB MICHAEL JACKSON

MIAMI (FL)

LB TRE LAMAR

CLEMSON

LB DAVID LONG, JR.

WEST VIRGINIA

• Like 2

TE TJ HOCKENSON IOWA

DL DEXTER LAWRENCE CLEMSON

S TAYLOR RAPP WASHINGTON

WR HAKEEM BUTLER IOWA STATE

G MICHAEL JORDAN OHIO STATE

LB TERRILL HANKS N MEXICO ST

CB IMAN LEWIS-MARSHALL USC

OT TYLER ROEMER SAN DIEGO ST

DL MAXX CROSBY

• Like 1

I like the draft network projections a little better for their mock draft simulator here:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/mock-draft-machine

image.png.117c12aff31e5dd9cff281328ee7638f.png

image.png.f11c3951e8ec78353dbb2779cf499241.png

26 - Jerry Tillery, DT, Notre Dame

34 - Clelin Ferrell, DE, Clemson

59 - Amani Oruwariye, CB, Penn State

89 - Amani Hooker, S, Iowa

129 - Preston Williams, WR, Colorado State

135 - Miles Boykin, WR, Notre Dame

164 - Elijah Holyfield, RB, Georgia

199 - T.J.Edwards, LB, Wisconsin

240 - Mitch Hyatt, OT, Clemson

• Like 1

This was fun.....

Round 1 Pick 26: Baker, Deandre, CB, Georgia (A)
Round 2 Pick 2: Harry, NKeal, WR, Arizona State (A)
Round 2 Pick 27: Allen, Zach, DE, Boston College (A-)
Round 3 Pick 25: Coney, Te'von, ILB, Notre Dame (A)
Round 4 Pick 27: Hanks, Terrill, OLB, New Mexico State (A+)
Round 4 Pick 33 (COMP): Evans, Bobby, OT, Oklahoma (A+)
Round 5 Pick 26: Gaines, Greg, DT, Washington (A+)
Round 6 Pick 26: Boykin, Miles, WR, Notre Dame (A+)
Round 7 Pick 26: Love, Bryce, RB, Stanford (A+)