Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Simulated Mock Drafts for the 2019 NFL Draft

I finally decided to run a simulation on Fanspeak for the 2019 draft and ended up playing around with it for half an hour. :D

Here's a thread for everybody to post their own simulated mock drafts. Here's my first of the year: 

1: R1P6 CB GREEDY WILLIAMS

LSU

2: R2P6 DL JEFFERY SIMMONS

MISSISSIPPI STATE

3: R2P7 EDGE JACHAI POLITE

FLORIDA

4: R3P5 OT DAVID EDWARDS

WISCONSIN

5: R4P6 WR COLLIN JOHNSON

TEXAS

6: R4P34 RB DEVIN SINGLETARY

FLORIDA ATLANTIC

7: R5P6 LB JOE GILES-HARRIS

DUKE

8: R6P6 WR HUNTER RENFOW

CLEMSON

9: R7P6 S CHASE HANSEN

UTAH

6: R1P6

DL ED OLIVER

HOUSTON

38: R2P6

CB DEANDRE BAKER

GEORGIA

39: R2P7

RB BRYCE LOVE

STANFORD

69: R3P5

OT DAVID EDWARDS

WISCONSIN

108: R4P6

WR STANLEY MORGAN JR.

NEBRASKA

136: R4P34

S JORDAN FULLER

OHIO STATE

146: R5P6

WR DARIUS SLAYTON

AUBURN

180: R6P6

G DRU SAMIA

OKLAHOMA

222: R7P6

WR FELTON DAVIS III

MICHIGAN STATE

Gotta say this was pretty fun , I'd never tried it before. 

1st  6th overall , DT- Ed Oliver 

2nd  38th overall, OT- David Edwards

2nd  39th overall, CB- Amani Oruwariye 

3rd  69th overall, WR- Kelvin Harmon 

4th 108th overall, S- Deionte Thompson 

4th 136th overall, LB- Cameron Smith

5th 146th overall, OT/G- Derwin Gray

6th 180th overall, CB- Jamel Dean

7th 222nd overall, WR- Trenton Irwin

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/14/2018 at 8:02 AM, BOTT said:

If the colts are going to play mostly zone I'm not going to spend the #6 pick on a cb. Well, unless he is getting a lot of picks.

Agreed.  People need to do their home work on Ballard's draft tendencies  and the style of D we run.  I would bet the farm that Ballard would never pick a corner with a top 10 pick. This D asks for a different skill set at corner.  U get zone corners later in the draft.  First round corners r man press corners.  We get zone corners in the later rounds.  I bet we do D  tackle and D end with our first two picks.  I could actually see us moving back into the 1st by using our 2   2nd round picks.  Picking 2 first round D linemen in the 1st round.

On 10/14/2018 at 5:02 PM, BOTT said:

If the colts are going to play mostly zone I'm not going to spend the #6 pick on a cb. Well, unless he is getting a lot of picks.

As I said in another thread here... if we indeed plan on keeping this defensive scheme I agree, but I have a sneaky suspicion/hope that we will be incorporating much more man-to-man coverage in the future. My hope is that the current defense is constructed in this way because of the general lack of talent and the youth of our defense this year(Tampa 2 is much easier on young/inexperienced players). When Ballard got Ed Dodds who was one of the scouting gurus behind Seattles' cover 3 scheme talent acquisition and then he spent a 1st round pick on Malik Hooker who is the prototypical single high safety in the Earl Thomas mold in the cover 3... I fully expected us to build this team more and more towards that type of scheme rather than somewhat outdated Tampa 2. Hell, even Wilson makes much more sense in a press-man scheme than in zone. I am still holding out hope that with the better talent and more experience we will start incorporating more press-man coverage, if not fully switch to Seattle style cover 3. If that's the case IMO Greedy will be a tremendous acquisition. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, stitches said:

As I said in another thread here... if we indeed plan on keeping this defensive scheme I agree, but I have a sneaky suspicion/hope that we will be incorporating much more man-to-man coverage in the future. My hope is that the current defense is constructed in this way because of the general lack of talent and the youth of our defense this year(Tampa 2 is much easier on young/inexperienced players). When Ballard got Ed Dodds who was one of the scouting gurus behind Seattles' cover 3 scheme talent acquisition and then he spent a 1st round pick on Malik Hooker who is the prototypical single high safety in the Earl Thomas mold in the cover 3... I fully expected us to build this team more and more towards that type of scheme rather than somewhat outdated Tampa 2. Hell, even Wilson makes much more sense in a press-man scheme than in zone. I am still holding out hope that with the better talent and more experience we will start incorporating more press-man coverage, if not fully switch to Seattle style cover 3. If that's the case IMO Greedy will be a tremendous acquisition. 

I have been hoping the same thing. Fingers crossed 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, stitches said:

I’m sure you realize that all the Seahawk cornerbacks were mid to late  round picks.

I think Ballard has been quoted as saying most recent SB winning teams have been using mostly zone coverage.

if you’re hoping for a change on philosophy and the Cokts taking Greedy,  I think you’re going to be disappointed...

Just saying....

47 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’m sure you realize that all the Seahawk cornerbacks were mid to late  round picks.

I think Ballard has been quoted as saying most recent SB winning teams have been using mostly zone coverage.

if you’re hoping for a change on philosophy and the Cokts taking Greedy,  I think you’re going to be disappointed...

Just saying....

2012 Ravens played a lot of man coverage and got away with lots of contact with Jimmy Smith etc., 2013 Seahawks played plenty of man coverage thrown in with their Cover 3 that Decker was begging for PIs in the SB, 2014 Patriots got Revis and Browner on loaners to play man coverage and them jamming the 2 WRs at the goal line helped Butler jump the pass to the 3rd WR, 2015 Broncos trotted out 3 man CBs that allowed Wade to bring pressure occasionally while primarily rushing Miller and Ware. So, yes, you have to mix in plenty of man coverage to succeed vs good QBs in this league.

It is only towards 2016 and 2017 things shifted a bit more towards more points being scored in the SB, and I attribute it more towards more zone coverage played.

One thing all of them had was good safety play. From Ed Reed/Pollard to Chancellor/Earl Thomas, to Ward/Stewart etc. Malcolm Jenkins on James White was a critical match up that helped the Eagles after they saw what he did in 2016 SB to the Falcons. That is the key to winning in the modern era. Patriots used nickel looks with 3 safeties during both 2016 and 2017 runs. 

Please find where Ballard quoted that and let us know. He did say that indoor teams have had more success playing the 4-3 style of D. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

2012 Ravens played a lot of man coverage and got away with lots of contact with Jimmy Smith etc., 2013 Seahawks played plenty of man coverage thrown in with their Cover 3 that Decker was begging for PIs in the SB, 2014 Patriots got Revis and Browner on loaners to play man coverage and them jamming the 2 WRs at the goal line helped Butler jump the pass to the 3rd WR, 2015 Broncos trotted out 3 man CBs that allowed Wade to bring pressure occasionally while primarily rushing Miller and Ware. 

It is only towards 2016 and 2017 things shifted a bit more towards more points being scored in the SB, and I attribute it more towards more zone coverage played. 

Please find where Ballard quoted that and let us know. He did say that indoor teams have had more success playing the 4-3 style of D. 

I know the website has an archive system,  but I have no idea how to use it.    None.

I'm not even sure what I'd key in to search for that?    

Just for kicks, I played along and this is what I drafted :) 

9: R1P9

DL RAEKWON DAVIS

ALABAMA

OT DALTON RISNER

KANSAS STATE

41: R2P9

WR ANTHONY JOHNSON (UB)

BUFFALO

72: R3P8

S LUKAS DENIS

BOSTON COLLEGE

111: R4P9

RB MYLES GASKIN

WASHINGTON

136: R4P34

LB MACK WILSON

ALABAMA

149: R5P9

CB BLACE BROWN

TROY

183: R6P9

WR GARY JENNINGS JR.

WEST VIRGINIA

225: R7P9

OT CALVIN ANDERSON

TEXAS

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Just saying....

I'm not sure that's factually true actually. (the part about most recent SB winning teams using predominantly zone.... cursory look back suggests otherwise)... and I don't remember Ballard saying that, but he very well might have said it... he's been saying stuff like that to justify the path he's chosen(for example i remember him saying it about the indoor teams). 

Tampa 2 is in essence a disguised cover 3 on passing downs so IMO the jump will not be that big for most positions. I just can't bear watching competent QBs completely picking apart our system right now. Part of it is probably lack of high end talent at pass rush and CB, but part of it is just... plain expoitability of the system. The Tampa 2 has been solved years ago and even no better than competent QBs pick it apart easily until the field shrinks in the end zone and the zones get much smaller thus resembling more and more man coverage(less room to pass up zone assignments)...

I will keep the hope, but I get your doubt about it being a likely switch that's coming. 

• Thanks 1

My latest attempt:

1: R1P9

EDGE CLELIN FERRELL

CLEMSON

2: R2P7

DL JEFFERY SIMMONS

MISSISSIPPI STATE

3: R2P9

WR J.J. ARCEGA-WHITESIDE

STANFORD

4: R3P8

WR KELVIN HARMON

NC STATE

5: R4P9

S JUAN THORNHILL

UVA

6: R4P34

RB BENNY SNELL JR.

KENTUCKY

7: R5P9

CB JAMEL DEAN

AUBURN

8: R6P9

OT YODNY CAJUSTE

WVU

9: R7P9

LB BRECKYN HAGER

TEXAS

46 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You only have ONE second round pick. The Colts gave two.

You only have ONE fourth round pick.  The Colts have two.

Have fun!

I have them all in there... 

2: R2P7

DL JEFFERY SIMMONS

MISSISSIPPI STATE

3: R2P9

WR J.J. ARCEGA-WHITESIDE

STANFORD

5: R4P9

S JUAN THORNHILL

UVA

RB BENNY SNELL JR.

KENTUCKY

13: R1P13

CB GREEDY WILLIAMS

LSU

DL RAEKWON DAVIS

ALABAMA

45: R2P13

DL DERRICK BROWN

AUBURN

76: R3P12

EDGE BRIAN BURNS

FLORIDA STATE

114: R4P13

WR HAKEEM BUTLER

IOWA STATE

135: R4P34

S JUAN THORNHILL

UVA

152: R5P13

RB BENNY SNELL JR.

KENTUCKY

186: R6P13

OT BOBBY EVANS

OKLAHOMA

229: R7P13

EDGE JONATHAN LEDBETTER

GEORGIA

CB GREEDY WILLIAMS

LSU

DL JERRY TILLERY

NOTRE DAME

WR DEEBO SAMUEL

SOUTH CAROLINA

S TAYLOR RAPP

WASHINGTON

RB MIKE WEBER

OHIO STATE

OT YODNY CAJUSTE

WVU

QB WILL GRIER

WVU

DL TERRY BECKNER JR

MISSOURI

G LESTER COTTON

ALABAMA

8 hours ago, indyman411 said:

CB GREEDY WILLIAMS

LSU

DL RAEKWON DAVIS

ALABAMA

DL DERRICK BROWN

AUBURN

EDGE BRIAN BURNS

FLORIDA STATE

WR HAKEEM BUTLER

IOWA STATE

S JUAN THORNHILL

UVA

RB BENNY SNELL JR.

KENTUCKY

OT BOBBY EVANS

OKLAHOMA

EDGE JONATHAN LEDBETTER

GEORGIA

Your picks 2, 3 and 4 will likely ALL BE GONE.

That's because they're rated much higher in the real world than they are by these computer games.       Those that run these games don't get it close to right until roughly Mid-April.

Up to that point,  they're doing more guessing than anything else...

Unrealistic, but ... oh well:

1: R1P13

DL QUINNEN WILLIAMS

ALABAMA

2: R2P5

CB DEANDRE BAKER

GEORGIA

3: R2P13

WR HAKEEM BUTLER

IOWA STATE

4: R3P12

WR RILEY RIDLEY

GEORGIA

5: R4P13

EDGE OSHANE XIMINES

OLD DOMINION

OT YODNY CAJUSTE

WEST VIRGINIA

7: R5P13

CB ROCK YA-SIN

TEMPLE

8: R6P13

RB DARRELL HENDERSON

MEMPHIS

9: R7P13

TE ISAAC NAUTA

GEORGIA

• Like 1

fanspeak updated their draft boards , so I thought I'd give it another go :

13th overall- DL Rashan Gary

37th overall- DL Derrick Brown 
45th overall- S Taylor Rapp
76th overall- CB Julian Love
114th overall- OT Yodny Cajuste
135th overall- EDGE Oshane Ximines
152nd overall- WR Hunter Renfrow
186th overall- S Jonathan Abrams
229th overall- EDGE Malik Reed

• Like 3

9 hours ago, stitches said:

Unrealistic, but ... oh well:

1: R1P13

DL QUINNEN WILLIAMS

ALABAMA

2: R2P5

CB DEANDRE BAKER

GEORGIA

3: R2P13

WR HAKEEM BUTLER

IOWA STATE

4: R3P12

WR RILEY RIDLEY

GEORGIA

5: R4P13

EDGE OSHANE XIMINES

OLD DOMINION

OT YODNY CAJUSTE

WEST VIRGINIA

7: R5P13

CB ROCK YA-SIN

TEMPLE

8: R6P13

RB DARRELL HENDERSON

MEMPHIS

9: R7P13

TE ISAAC NAUTA

GEORGIA

For what it’s worth...    Mel has a new Big Board out this week...   your guy Williams is now....  2nd overall.    With every win our chances for him seem to slip away.

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what it’s worth...    Mel has a new Big Board out this week...   your guy Williams is now....  2nd overall.    With every win our chances for him seem to slip away.

Yeah.... I wouldn't be shocked if he went no. 1... depending on whether Herbert declares and whether a QB hungry team is drafting no. 1. 

• 2 weeks later...

Defensive draft

15: R1P15

LB DEVIN WHITE

LSU

36: R2P4

OT TREY ADAMS

WASHINGTON

47: R2P15

DL CHRISTIAN WILKINS

CLEMSON

78: R3P14

S TAYLOR RAPP

WASHINGTON

117: R4P15

S MARVELL TELL III

USC

135: R4P33

RB KARAN HIGDON

MICHIGAN

154: R5P15

EDGE OSHANE XIMINES

OLD DOMINION

190: R6P15

WR ANTHONY JOHNSON

BUFFALO

231: R7P15

WR EMMANUEL BUTLER

NORTHERN ARIZONA

Early WR draft

15: R1P15

WR D.K. METCALF

MISSISSIPPI

S DEIONTE THOMPSON

ALABAMA

47: R2P15

CB DEANDRE BAKER

GEORGIA

78: R3P14

G BEN BREDESON

MICHIGAN

117: R4P15

EDGE JOE JACKSON

MIAMI

RB DAVID MONTGOMERY

IOWA STATE

154: R5P15

S DEVIN STUDSTILL

NOTRE DAME

190: R6P15

DL YOUHANNA GHAIFAN

WYOMING

231: R7P15

QB TRACE MCSORLEY

PENN STATE

Here's one that I did that I would LOVE for this team...

Round 1 Pick 18: Williams, Quinnen, DT, Alabama
Round 2 Pick 4: Brown, AJ, WR, Mississippi 
Round 2 Pick 18: Taylor, Levonta, CB, Florida State 
Round 3 Pick 17: Hodge, Kalhil, ILB, Buffalo 
Round 4 Pick 18: Thompson, Jalen, S, Washington State 
Round 5 Pick 1 (DET): Peters, Jamal, CB, Mississippi State (4th round compensatory pick)
Round 5 Pick 18: Renfrow, Hunter, WR, Clemson 
Round 6 Pick 18: Powers, Ben, OG, Oklahoma 
Round 7 Pick 18: Adams, Paul, OT, Missouri 

We fixed the OL last draft, now we need to fix the defense! I could see Ballard adding another cost efficient player on the OL via free agency with this type of draft. 

1: R1P15

EDGE CLELIN FERRELL

CLEMSON

2: R2P3

DL JERRY TILLERY

NOTRE DAME

3: R2P15

WR COLLIN JOHNSON

TEXAS

4: R3P14

OT CODY FORD

OKLAHOMA

5: R4P15

CB AMANI ORUWARIYE

PENN STATE

6: R4P33

RB DARRELL HENDERSON

MEMPHIS

7: R5P15

WR HUNTER RENFOW

CLEMSON

8: R6P15

LB GARY JOHNSON

TEXAS

9: R7P15

CB JAMEL DEAN

AUBURN

I got some of my recent favorites in this one. 

I got potential no. 1 receiver, potential slot receiver... I got our future feature back in Darrell Henderson... I got a very interesting tackle/guard prospect in Cody Ford form Oklahoma. I expect him to start climbing up boards so I'm not sure he will be available come draft day. 

Oh... and I also got 2 defensive linemen with the first couple of picks. Hopefully this satisfies the "we need to draft as many defensive players as possible" crowd. 

Gary Johnson is a bit under the radar ILB. He had a good game the other day vs Oklahoma but he's been a favorite of mine for a while. 

this is the mock draft i did on first-pick.com with the current standing (trades with eagles and lions) this isnt realistic but it was fun to play with it:

Round 1 Pick 20 (PHI): Love, Julian, CB, Notre Dame (B+)
Round 2 Pick 3: Bryant, Austin, DE, Clemson (A-)
Round 2 Pick 15: Brown, Derrick, DT, Auburn (A+)
Round 2 Pick 20 (PHI): Coney, Tevon, ILB, Notre Dame (A)
Round 3 Pick 14: Love, Bryce, RB, Stanford (A+)
Round 4 Pick 15: Thornhill, Juan, SS, Virginia (A+)
Round 5 Pick 1 (DET): Ridley, Riley, WR, Georgia (A+)
Round 5 Pick 15: Ivey, Martez, OT, Florida (A+)
Round 6 Pick 5 (DET): Beckner Jr, Terry, DT, Missouri (A+)
Round 6 Pick 15: Sweeney, Tommy, TE, Boston College (A+)
Round 7 Pick 5 (DET): Blankenship, Rodrigo, K, Georgia (A+)
Round 7 Pick 15: Davis III, Felton, WR, Michigan State (A+)

On 10/12/2018 at 1:07 PM, stitches said:

I finally decided to run a simulation on Fanspeak for the 2019 draft and ended up playing around with it for half an hour. :D

Here's a thread for everybody to post their own simulated mock drafts. Here's my first of the year: 

Doesn't address our Biggest needs (WR & RB) until round 4.

I was bored a bit, so did another one on FanSpeak :) 

18: R1P18

DL RAEKWON DAVIS

ALABAMA

WR N'KEAL HARRY

ARIZONA STATE

50: R2P18

OT DALTON RISNER

KANSAS STATE

81: R3P17

RB BRYCE LOVE

STANFORD

120: R4P18

EDGE CHASE WINOVICH

MICHIGAN

DL DONTAVIUS RUSSELL

AUBURN

157: R5P18

S CHAUNCEY GARDNER-JOHNSON

FLORIDA

192: R6P17

LB T.J. EDWARDS

WISCONSIN

234: R7P18

G BEN POWERS

OKLAHOMA

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

19: R1P19

S DEIONTE THOMPSON -- need a safety to replace Geathers, and to pair w/ Hooker 

ALABAMA

CB JULIAN LOVE -- good CB, improves the D

NOTRE DAME

51: R2P19

C DALTON KISNER -- need a reliable, steady backup to Kelly, have seen how important Kelly is to the offensive line

KANSAS ST.

82: R3P18

WR KELVIN HARMON -- big bodied WR, the type of WR Reich likes

NC STATE

121: R4P19

EDGE OSHANE XIMINES -- need more consistent pass rush, get more edge players and bring the heat in waves

ODU

RB MIKE WEBER -- the big banger of a RB for short distance / goal line situations

OHIO ST.

158: R5P19

EDGE JOE JACKSON -- another pass rusher

MIAMI

193: R6P18

DL DEMARCUS CHRISTMAS -- athletic DL to help w/ DL depth

FSU

235: R7P19

TE MICKEY CRUM -- need a pass catching TE to help when Doyle isn't available

LOUISVILLE