Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hooker

Matabix

We talk about position flex and this guy isn't involved enough. Maybe with his speed and cover ability it might not be bad to put him as corner on 4-3 and nickel situations and move back to safety on Dime. Farley and Geathers are still top safeties and gets Farley more snaps.

Thoughts...

teams do avoid him, but im not sure if he would be best  suited for cb.  it might work in a cover 2

he does take away part of the field, but i dont think we are getting great value out of that.  they just throw it to the other side of the field when they want to go deep 

• Like 1

pff has him as the 11th ranked safety.  the problem is geathers and farley have been bad, so teams are targeting their side of the field a lot more

hooker would probably be a better fit in a cover 3 tbh, that way it would be much harder for offenses to avoid him 

• Like 2

Just now, aaron11 said:

pff has him as the 11th ranked safety.  the problem is geathers and farley have been bad, so teams are targeting their side of the field a lot more

hooker would probably be a better fit in a cover 3 tbh, that way it would be much harder for offenses to avoid him 

Where does that put him on the field on a cover 3? Single high?

18 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Maybe even a hard tackle, once in a while, would be nice.

Not hard tackles..... just tackles.

he's smart, he usually goes for legs.  He's not built to be an enforcer type hitter.  I'd rather keep him on the field.  Let our LBs do the hard hitting.

19 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Seems like Malik has been taking some criticism on twitter over his play, and he's not happy:

I wish players wouldnt pay so much attention to what us fans think/say regarding things like this.

He's right, but he should ignore it and not speak about it.

It's always a losing battle for these guys when they start jawing with fans on social media.

He's a professional at the top of his profession.  Why worry about the opinions of "joe shmoes" who have no real experience in his profession?  Just ignore it and keep doing what you are doing.  If his teammates and coaches think he's doing his job,  then he is.  No matter what any of us think really.

He's doing just fine imo.  I expect us to see some big plays from him before the season is over.

This is a zone defense. We arent forcing mistakes unless we disguise the coverage or have great pass rush into a bad throw/read. With the way they deploy Hooker and the types of QBs we've played (safe with the ball) I am not surprised Hooker isn't making splash plays. To be honest, I would be worried if they WERE constantly calling his name.

His picks will come but he can't force QBs to start lugging deep bombs every other pass. 

Just now, Davvon2590 said:

This is a zone defense. We arent forcing mistakes unless we disguise the coverage or have great pass rush into a bad throw/read. With the way they deploy Hooker and the types of QBs we've played (safe with the ball) I am not surprised Hooker isn't making splash plays. To be honest, I would be worried if they WERE constantly calling his name.

His picks will come but he can't force QBs to start lugging deep bombs every other pass. 

Carson Palmer found out the hard way that you don't go deep on hooker or you'll get picked same with Russell 

37 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Wow, I hope he doesn’t throw a teammate under the bus in his anger. .  He’s one of my favorite players and I don’t want to see that happen. 

I get what you're saying, and agree, i think hes really getting at people not understanding what is actual job is. Some people are probably like "well he isnt getting 15 tackles and 2 sacks a game so he's a bust lololol" without actually knowing what his job is.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, aaron11 said:

Yeah, it seems the Colts need to add in another safety via the draft or FA somehow next year.  CG still can't seem to stay healthy still and Farley definitely is not the answer.  Boy it would've been nice to go after Tyrann Mathieu. 

• Like 2

Its simply hilarious to read some comments saying that QBs are scared to throw his way because of 4 games he played as an unknown rookie, who also now coming off an ACL.

That type of validation is as bad as blaming Grigson for the current bad roster.  LOL.

• Like 1

Only point in this, is we have 3 safeties that is our top 3 players in the 2ndary. I would like to see all 3 take the most snaps in the 2ndary and since he is better at coverage maybe in our base 4-3 he can play corner. Would also help run support and maybe stop the outside run.

9 hours ago, richard pallo said:

He's a good player no doubt.  But he came in with the reputation of being a playmaker and with a reputation for getting interceptions like he did last year before the injury.  So far I don't remember him getting close to one.  Still plenty of time to get going.  

He didn't have just any injury, it was extensive.  Grade 3 ACL tear (where it tears into two separate pieces), and MCL tear.  Also, he had a torn labrum in his hip coming out of OSU and prior had a double inguinal hernia surgery.  I think it will just take him some time to get all of those reflexes and smaller twitch muscles and nerve endings to compensate for the operation and the other tendons that have to be transplanted from other areas of the body.  I would say he will do nothing but get better as all of his injuries and subsequent surgeries are accepted by his body.  He's young, so I feel he will get back to about 95 of what he was.

On 10/6/2018 at 12:01 PM, aaron11 said:

Geathers has been bad in zone it’s not Farley.

• Like 2

I watched him at Ohio State.....  I watched last year

He is making plays, but not at the same level as last year or at Ohio State

I think he needs a bit of time to get his speed back.

Some players need longer time........

I havent given up, but to say he is at the EXACT high level as last year, pre injury isnt accurate IMHO

We need to have patience......  Hopefully he gets up and running sooner than later

On 10/6/2018 at 4:31 PM, DougDew said:

Its simply hilarious to read some comments saying that QBs are scared to throw his way because of 4 games he played as an unknown rookie, who also now coming off an ACL.

That type of validation is as bad as blaming Grigson for the current bad roster.  LOL.

That's EXACTLY what we're saying.  Opponents take the easy road not the hard one.  EVERYONE knows Malik has elite range and ball skills.  Watson sure knows.  Challenging him like Palmer did last year is dumb.

• Like 1

Malik has a very good point.  How many of our sacks have been coverage sacks?  The QB had plenty of time, but nobody was open, and the rush eventually got to him.  This doesn't show up in the stat line for every player involved.  It doesn't say, "Player A did his job in coverage so Player B could get the sack."  It just records Player B's sack.  But there are 11 guys out there, all playing together.

19 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Malik has a very good point.  How many of our sacks have been coverage sacks?  The QB had plenty of time, but nobody was open, and the rush eventually got to him.  This doesn't show up in the stat line for every player involved.  It doesn't say, "Player A did his job in coverage so Player B could get the sack."  It just records Player B's sack.  But there are 11 guys out there, all playing together.

This is why I don’t like PFF. They don’t know assignments or play designs. 

It never ceases to amaze me when "fans" complain about a players shoddy play when they just look at the stats....

Hooker is doing what he's asked to do.....cover his half of the field and with the exception of one blown coverage in the first game he's done just that.

Would we like to see splash plays, yes, but his job is to keep everything in front of him or double the deep route both of which are to keep the deep plays in check.

If you notice who the top three tacklers are Leonard (WILL), Walker (MIKE) and Geathers (SS/LB) that means Hooker is making the QBs throw underneath him...

Much like the oline, the less you hear his name the likelyhood he had a good game and is playing his role within the defense.