Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Again I will say, Ballard is not impressing me

threeflight

5 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Good OL players hit FA all the time. It’s the one position group (and maybe RB as well) that you can typically get good players.

They have to want and to come here too.  In the past we’ve thrown money at FAs and they’ve decided to go somewhere else.  Not as simple.

7 minutes ago, threeflight said:

I've been a Colts fan, diehard, since I was 5 years old during the Bert Jones days.  I have been a diehard Colts fan everyday since.  I was the kid would would try to build an antenna on the roof to get a snowfilled tv that hopefully was showing a Colts game on NBC.  I was the kid that sat in my dads car trying to listen to a game on the radio from 500 miles away.  I was the kid who asked for nothing but Colts gear for Christmas.  I was the kid who wore Colts gear year around. 

I was the guy who stayed with the Colts for years and years after Bert Jones, after the move to Indy, after they finished with losing records year after year.

So when I say I am a Colts fan?  I can honestly say there is no greater Colts fan than me.  

That doesn't mean I wear blinders.  And when I feel CB has not impressed me, and I have gone over some of the reasons, I mean it.  I am not trolling.  I am not over reacting.  He just doesn't.

That doesn't mean he can't get better.  But right now...today?  I see nothing he has done that says "he has it".  He got Luck back this year.  He has had 2 drafts.  2 years of FA.  His team his devoid of talent and beyond all?  1-4.

Period.

Yes you are over reacting, period.

2 minutes ago, threeflight said:

I think the D has added a few players that have more talent than before yes.

Do I think they are in any way, shape or form a very good or even good D?

No.

The numbers don't lie.

Going into last nights game we were 2nd in the league in sacks behind Chicago.

We have one of the best rookie linebacker in the league.

Take away the rookie mental mistakes and the turnovers and this team could very well be 4-1. 

If you don't see that I don't know what to tell you.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, aaron11 said:

theres no proof that im wrong either.  it makes sense that chuck gave input on draft picks during his time as head coach, and most of them also didnt work out 

There’s no logic or common sense to support that.   Draft picks are the most important capital that Ballard has.   He’s not turning them over to a coach he’s going to fire.

Did Oagano get to Voice his opinion?   Sure.   Did he get to give input?   Sure. But the decisions were all Ballard.   He didn’t turn over his first draft to a coach he’s going to fire.   Come on now.

And you don’t judge a draft class by one year and a few games.   Typically a class isn’t judged until year three.   We are a long way from that.

The class still has time to prove itself.

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

There’s no logic or common sense to support that.   Draft picks are the most important capital that Ballard has.   He’s not turning them over to a coach he’s going to fire.

Did Oagano get to Voice his opinion?   Sure.   Did he get to give input?   Sure. But the decisions were all Ballard.   He didn’t turn over his first draft to a coach he’s going to fire.   Come on now.

And you don’t judge a draft class by one year and a few games.   Typically a class isn’t judged until year three.   We are a long way from that.

The class still has time to prove itself.

dont think this is worth dwelling on, but if we must go on then yes i still think chucks input on draft selections probably wasnt very good. he talked about how bannar and green were guys he wanted for example 

2 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

dont this this is worth dwelling on, but if we must go on then yes i still think chucks input on draft selections probably wasnt very good. he talked about how bannar and green were guys he wanted for example 

Well...   Green was a Grigson pick.   Banner was a Ballard pick.

And on draft day, every head coach talks up every player they take.   Ballard liked Banner the most.  He sent Joe Philbin to work him out 2-3 times.  That doesn’t come from Pags.   That was from the GM.

Not every pick is going to hit.  Some will miss.   You can’t boil things down to the pucks that miss ate the fault of the old HC, but the picks that hit are from the new GM.    It’s just never that simple.

(Sorry for the mis-spells) 

30 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

They have to want and to come here too.  In the past we’ve thrown money at FAs and they’ve decided to go somewhere else.  Not as simple.

Of course. But they are still hitting FA and are available...which was my point of contention.

I think the Colts have as good of chance as anyone else if they are willing to spend. Even teams like DET and CLE have been able to get FA OL.

But going forward, I don’t think this will be a focus in FA. 

NE's first possession 7 points. Colts first possession and first snap Luck gets slammed to the turf. The tone for along night was set. Add a missed FG by Mr. Bullseye. More dropped passes than in any game I have seen so far this year. Many injured players before the game and the list grew after the game started.  Who is to blame? The players.

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

And on draft day, every head coach talks up every player they take.   Ballard liked Banner the most.  He sent Joe Philbin to work him out 2-3 times.  That doesn’t come from Pags.   That was from the GM.

Not every pick is going to hit.  Some will miss.   You can’t boil things down to the pucks that miss ate the fault of the old HC, but the picks that hit are from the new GM.    It’s just never that simple.

its not all about chuck, but i think he was a factor in both gms drafts.  ballards first draft is currently under preforming too

i think hooker is a good player but its too easy for teams to avoid him in this scheme.  we are not getting great value from him imo.  the second through fourth round picks have hardly played, and walker is doing the most right now

29 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

The numbers don't lie.

Going into last nights game we were 2nd in the league in sacks behind Chicago.

We have one of the best rookie linebacker in the league.

Take away the rookie mental mistakes and the turnovers and this team could very well be 4-1. 

If you don't see that I don't know what to tell you.

It'd be really nice to see our base offense at full strength for a 3 or 4 game stretch just so we can see it operate as it was designed to. Not having guys like Castanzo, Good, Mack, Hilton, Doyle, have hindered things to the point that I feel like they really can't even open up half of the playbook.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, King Colt said:

NE's first possession 7 points. Colts first possession and first snap Luck gets slammed to the turf. The tone for along night was set. Add a missed FG by Mr. Bullseye. More dropped passes than in any game I have seen so far this year. Many injured players before the game and the list grew after the game started.  Who is to blame? The players.

So it's the players fault we had 7 injured starters going into last nights game? 

Get real.

13 hours ago, threeflight said:

So far I have seen him bungle the QB and coach situation last year, have what is turning out to be a TERRIBLE draft last year, do next to  nothing in FA the last 2 years despite having more money than Soros, and now....this years draft is turning out to be middling at best (drafting a guard that early was pointless for example), and he has completely FAILED at helping Luck with offensive help.  

We have a plethora of average RBs, and our Wrs, even with Hilton, are below average.  Due to injuries Luck has Ebron as his # 1 target.

Cmon.

Either he is totally tanking this year, or he has no idea what he is doing.  Either way....I don't like it.

I just spoke to Ballard... He said you don't impress him either.

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Does "many injured players before the game and the list grew after the game. Who's to blame? The players" sound familiar?

Again, you read one thing and understand none of it, not one word. You just can't understand any post because you misinterpret most everything.

42 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Wonder why Banner was not good enough for our roster, but he's good enough for the Steelers?

10 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

Wonder why Banner was not good enough for our roster, but he's good enough for the Steelers?

I think the Steelers are his 4th team. 

After the Colts cut him...  Banner was on Cleveland and then cut.

He was on Carolina and then cut.

He’s now with Pittsburgh.    We will see for how long.    But perhaps he’s growing up....    All of this in less than two years.

This team was so poor when Ballard got here, it's going to take another year.   We had starters who would be on the bench of most other teams.  Add to that how thin we were and still are in some areas.   Ballard is putting it together.  Leonard is a stud.   Nelson is a stud.  Wilkens and Hines are good contributors.    We still have many areas to work on though.   We'll have to endure a 7-9 season and hope that 2019 is a playoff team.  

I like the potential of this team over the 2016 roster:

image.thumb.png.a325fd00b6a2b815773b7aaf2a0797bf.png

image.thumb.png.558641d7f52c78964a76ed271b41b4e2.png

7 minutes ago, Myles said:

This team was so poor when Ballard got here, it's going to take another year.   We had starters who would be on the bench of most other teams.  Add to that how thin we were and still are in some areas.   Ballard is putting it together.  Leonard is a stud.   Nelson is a stud.  Wilkens and Hines are good contributors.    We still have many areas to work on though.   We'll have to endure a 7-9 season and hope that 2019 is a playoff team.  

I like the potential of this team over the 2016 roster:

image.thumb.png.a325fd00b6a2b815773b7aaf2a0797bf.png

image.thumb.png.558641d7f52c78964a76ed271b41b4e2.png

I think Leonard is great.  

Nelson?  To me he is not playing up to a #6 pick, and add in the fact that a guard imo is NOT WORTH a # 6 pick.  So to me?  Not going to say disaster, but certainly we did not get (so far) good value there.

To me he looks slow and not athletic.  Watch after each play walking back to the huddle.  He looks completely gassed.  Sometimes he almost seems to stagger back.  Kind of looks like a blob...not like he did in college.

The other picks from 2018?  Not seeing anything outstanding but considering they are lower picks I don't expect much either. 

I dont think we can under estimate how severly the injuries are hampering the team. Like the Costanzo injury with regards to helping the run blocking and pass pro is hurting us. I said it after the Eagles game if we had him beside Nelson with Turbin behind on those last 3rd and 4th downs, we would have punched it in.

I think we would easily be 3-2 or 2- 3 if it wasnt for injuries, like the Pats and Texans reported a clean bill of health in thd last 2 games. Thats a massive advantage. Sure we have limitations at WR, T, CB and RB but Ballard will get help there next off season. People need to remember how littlle he had to work with here when he started 18 months ago.

For the last 5 years we have had the same scouting staff and through 5 years the talent level that we have brought in no matter what round (other than 2012) has been mediocre at best. 2017 it was the same staff who picked all the players you’re talking about not being the greatest. 

Now. Let’s turn our attention to the current scouting department and staff that Ballard has brought in. The guys who he picked had a great history finding players for our scheme... and what do we see? Nelson. Leonard. Both all pros so far this season. 

Then you have Hines and Wilkins who are doing quite a bit for being rookies. I’d say worth the picks when I compare to their production. Also you have Braden Smith who has been average to above average, which we haven’t seen in any of our starting olineman (not including Castonzo). So I’ll take a solid starter there. 

So far this new staff has hit these draft picks out of the park. I haven’t seen this much potential from a draft class since 2012. Next draft and next year should show us more when it comes to showing us how good our team is at finding the right FIT for OUR team. The fact that they know they need players who fit their scheme and the fact that they know WHAT players fit their scheme, is huge. 

How long has Jacksonville been irrelevant? Clevelend? Miami? Buffalo?  How about Detroit? Arizona? The Eagles until last year? How about either team in NY? 

My point in mentioning these teams teams is high draft order. It’s no excuse for the reasoning that we found such good players to fit our scheme. All of the credit for this draft class goes to our staff. Who I believe is shaping up to be pretty legit from what I can tell. And it’s only week 5 of the season. You might as well forget That this is Ballard’s 2nd season. Because year one was majorly for the benifit of Pagano and his entire staff. Just look at the draft picks, and the scheme fit and talent levels comparing 2017 to 2018. Ballard cutting the likes of Basham, Simon, Hankins. Makes complete sense. 

When I look at this staff, I see a team oriented unit. People who want to be with the Colts. I haven’t seen a staff make adjustments vs the patriots on their second drive since Tony Dungy. 

I know now I maybe getting a bit long winded. But I feel like until the end of at least season 3 we can’t make any sound judgements. But the signs are pointing up if anything. It’s season one. Clean slate. Let’s see what happens. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, threeflight said:

I think Leonard is great.  

Nelson?  To me he is not playing up to a #6 pick, and add in the fact that a guard imo is NOT WORTH a # 6 pick.  So to me?  Not going to say disaster, but certainly we did not get (so far) good value there.

To me he looks slow and not athletic.  Watch after each play walking back to the huddle.  He looks completely gassed.  Sometimes he almost seems to stagger back.  Kind of looks like a blob...not like he did in college.

The other picks from 2018?  Not seeing anything outstanding but considering they are lower picks I don't expect much either. 

I don't see what you do with Nelson.   He's been holding his line more than any rookie guard I have seen.   He may be gassed after each play, but that is because he doesn't hold back.   That was one of his high points in college.   I don't know what to say about your "blob" comment.  

6 hours ago, ricker182 said:

One thing I'm not happy about is the lack of spending by the Colts. I don't think we're too far away from a contending team (when we're healthy). 

If we waste money on a RB like Bell I'll turn on Ballard.  

There's no doubt we need another game changing wide receiver. We were spoiled with Wayne, Harrison, Stokely.  

I don't think we'll ever get a WR corps like that again, but it sure would be nice. Give Luck and TY some help. 

The Thing is, even though I don't think Bell is necessarily a great answer for us..... Bell IS a game changing receiver, AND a game changing RB at the same time......

17 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

The Thing is, even though I don't think Bell is necessarily a great answer for us..... Bell IS a game changing receiver, AND a game changing RB at the same time......

We can fill 2 glaring holes with 1 player, albeit an expensive one. Teams will have to gameplan for him, allowing our entire offense to open up more. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

We can fill 2 glaring holes with 1 player, albeit an expensive one. Teams will have to gameplan for him, allowing our entire offense to open up more. 

We have so much money under the Salary Cap and he will only be 27 entering next season. I say go for it. Some people may say, how did Richardson work out? Huge difference is Richardson was never even close to being the best RB in the league, Bell is the best.

• Like 1

I think Ballard is doing the right thing for the long run, but I have to wonder if looking at this team as it stands, if maybe he doesn't regret not bringing in some more FA help (pick your favorite spot of need, I'd go WR).  

The frustration is that when Luck is playing at a high level, you'd like to be in contention. I dunno how much patience after this season there's going to be for the rebuild. Luck is ready to win now. 

• Like 1

I personally don't remember the last time we were that competitive against N.E. not to mention with so many big injuries. I expected much worse. One of the analysts said we may be the best 1-3 team they've ever seen, so there's that. We just have to find a way to win. That comes with experience.

• Like 1

Not to mention this was a tough schedule to open with looking back at it now.

Pretty tough to get everyone on the same page when most have gotten hurt already.

It's tough because I don't know what people were expecting after we were terrible last year, record and roster wise.

Seems like only 5-0 with 14-21 point victories keeps people sane. That's tough....

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

I think Ballard is doing the right thing for the long run, but I have to wonder if looking at this team as it stands, if maybe he doesn't regret not bringing in some more FA help (pick your favorite spot of need, I'd go WR).  

The frustration is that when Luck is playing at a high level, you'd like to be in contention. I dunno how much patience after this season there's going to be for the rebuild. Luck is ready to win now. 

Cornerback 

I'm totally not defending the guy. I love this team but I'll call things when when I feel it's necessary. That being said, I think he's doing fine. This is a VERY young team. I think were a top 5 youngest team if I'm not mistaken. They are building something here. I think Ballard needs to keep in mind that Luck isn't getting any younger. If things don't begin to change, he may want to eventually finish his career on another team with more talent and better coaching. 

9 hours ago, Coltsfan1953 said:

I don't know why but this team seems to be a lot better than last years team. The record doesn't show it but it seems to be a lot better overall team.

I'm definitely in the camp of "You are what your record says you are"

I've watched the Patriots go 14-4 without Brady. That's a well oiled machine they have over there in New England. They just have players and the discipline to turn it up another notch when guys are hurt or not playing well. We don't. That's the difference between us and a team like the Patriots(among a few other teams).

• Like 1