Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Again I will say, Ballard is not impressing me

threeflight

4 minutes ago, K-148 said:

Looks like a lot of people here remember that saying differently: whining cures everything.

I agree to an extent. However, I cut people a lot of slack right now on the Colts because they have no control of the situation, and it's a helpless feeling watching your team lose because of one play each week, or just go down with injuries and you can't control it. It would be different if they were playing Madden, Poker, or something else competitively and losing because they weren't giving 100%. We have to rely on a GM, coaching staff and group of players that represent our team and hope they can win games, make the playoffs, and win the SB. 

It was very easy to be a fan as a kid because you didn't think about these things as much, but when you start analyzing everything and you see decisions made that you disagree with that you can't control, it makes you a lot more negative person. It's happened to me as I got into my 20's, and I'm sure it's happened to a lot of people on this forum as they've gotten smarter to the game.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Not for one who hasn't shown the ability to control himself when it comes to smoking weed. He has wasted how many years because he chose pot over the NFL?

He is one negative test from a lifetime ban.

And you want to look at Ballard negative for not signing him?  Just shows why there are only 20 good GMs in the league.

I think you meant to say he's one POSITIVE test away from a lifetime ban. 'Positive' means the substance IS present in the sample. (Sorry, I had to give you a hard time about that.)

• Thanks 1

One thing I'm not happy about is the lack of spending by the Colts. I don't think we're too far away from a contending team (when we're healthy). 

If we waste money on a RB like Bell I'll turn on Ballard.  

There's no doubt we need another game changing wide receiver. We were spoiled with Wayne, Harrison, Stokely.  

I don't think we'll ever get a WR corps like that again, but it sure would be nice. Give Luck and TY some help. 

• Like 1

The bottom half of this roster is definitely improved from the last few years.

Im staying positive because I like what Reich and Eberflus are doing with scraps. Ballard should have this roster looking better next year.

10 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I agree to an extent. However, I cut people a lot of slack right now on the Colts because they have no control of the situation, and it's a helpless feeling watching your team lose because of one play each week, or just go down with injuries and you can't control it. It would be different if they were playing Madden, Poker, or something else competitively and losing because they weren't giving 100%. We have to rely on a GM, coaching staff and group of players that represent our team and hope they can win games, make the playoffs, and win the SB. 

It was very easy to be a fan as a kid because you didn't think about these things as much, but when you start analyzing everything and you see decisions made that you disagree with that you can't control, it makes you a lot more negative person. It's happened to me as I got into my 20's, and I'm sure it's happened to a lot of people on this forum as they've gotten smarter to the game.

I love Colts. Really. But I would never allow Colts' play influence my mood. I can't let myself be negative: to my family, to my friends, to my co-workers. Hell, even to nicknamed forum member thousands miles away from me. Pretty simple: because negative wouldn't change anything. So why would I shove my opinion in someone's face? Does really anybody on this forum interested that much in my opinion? Or do I have to accept someone's opinion as an order? I guess, not...

I would this, I would that, I'm done with this team, pathetic... Jesus, what's wrong with all that people? Have fun! It's like kids growing: even when they % their pants, they make next step.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Zoltan said:

I'd say calm down with the hate, we are going through another transition year (which sucks since we literally are having back to back transition years). I think we got the right Coach and the right DC, I mean transitioning from 3-4 to 4-3 wasn't easy but they are doing surprisingly well thanks to Leonard and a couple other playmakers.

As for last years draft picks, Hooker still isn't 100%, but still is a good player just less playmaking then last year, Hairston was a good pick, Wilson and Basham were bad picks but no GM hits on every guy. Not to mention that after that first draft Ballard fired a lot of guys and brought in his own Front office peeps, so I think this year is a better look at his draft ability than the first.

Although we need another WR for this year

That's a little more of an intelligent take I know we get frustrated as fans I do. But we got to understand that this is a rebuilding year with a lot of injuries. But patience is a virtue and the Colts need the fans to be patient. Ballard has a plan and it going come to fusion in the near future. I mean Grigson left the cupboard bare and now Ballard has to fix it but it wasn't going to happen in one year it takes time and it's not Ballard fault the mess he walked into. I for one am looking forward to the future and I believe it's very bright for this team. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, threeflight said:

So far I have seen him bungle the QB and coach situation last year, have what is turning out to be a TERRIBLE draft last year, do next to  nothing in FA the last 2 years despite having more money than Soros, and now....this years draft is turning out to be middling at best (drafting a guard that early was pointless for example), and he has completely FAILED at helping Luck with offensive help.  

We have a plethora of average RBs, and our Wrs, even with Hilton, are below average.  Due to injuries Luck has Ebron as his # 1 target.

Cmon.

Either he is totally tanking this year, or he has no idea what he is doing.  Either way....I don't like it.

No he is doing fine with the resources he has. Stop looking for W's as a way to grade the team.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, K-148 said:

I love Colts. Really. But I would never allow Colts' play influence my mood. I can't let myself be negative: to my family, to my friends, to my co-workers. Hell, even to nicknamed forum member thousands miles away from me. Pretty simple: because negative wouldn't change anything. So why would I shove my opinion in someone's face? Does really anybody on this forum interested that much in my opinion? Or do I have to accept someone's opinion as an order? I guess, not...

I would this, I would that, I'm done with this team, pathetic... Jesus, what's wrong with all that people? Have fun! It's like kids growing: even when they % their pants, they make next step.

You are correct that being negative won't change anything, and I commend you for your positive outlook and attitude on the team and the game. However, there are a lot of people here that vent by being negative on here. It's a forum where we all share a similar love of the Colts, and they are just sharing their opinion. A lot of people here don't have family or friends who watch the Colts with them, or they are casuals where they don't know the team by heart, or realize everything that goes on, and they use this forum as a means of communication to vent their negative thoughts to people who understand their feelings.

Part of the fun is the journey of getting there, but it does get frustrating at times as well with continuous injuries and draft busts. There is a lot of frustration on this forum. I guarantee when we win and start to build a great team, morale will go up, but it is tough times as a Colts fan right now. I generally look at the draft picks and young kids as a way to substitute the current talent level and negatives as a positive, but the injuries are killing us.

Ballard is doing fine though, and like I said, it's going to take another year. He's only been here two years, so he doesn't deserve any blame at the moment, but it's a culmination of the Pagano/Grigson era, combined with Luck's injury and a continuous rebuild that has us on edge right now.

• Thanks 1

Ballard had a vision when he came in, to make this team younger, better and create a strong locker room.

You can argue all you want about being better (IMO we are at least not any worse), but there is no doubt we are much, much younger now and the guys Ballard has brought in all have high levels of "football character", which you see from the amount of college captains he brought in.    This year will tell us what young talent we will hang our hat on in the coming years while we have enough young players that we can afford to miss on some, which will happen in any organisation under any GM.

At this point, we go into next year's draft with some nice draft capital again to try and increase the young talent and (as we stand) I believe the second most cap space in the league. 

I am still not sure whether Ballard pulls the trigger next off season or waits one more year but there is an argument we have the most potential of any team in the NFL to make a move with the franchise QB in place and looking good, young talent with strong character and upside, talented coaches and significant cap space.

So Ballard may have missed on a couple of picks, show me a GM who hasn't.  I, for one, love what Ballard is doing and am hugely excited for the future.

:colts:

• Like 3

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not only is there ZERO proof of that....   but the very idea that Ballard made picks heavily influenced by Pagano who he knew he was going to fire in a year....   and that those picks wouldn't fit his program,  his scheme,  is counter intuitive in the extreme.

It makes no sense.    Ballard picked guys for 2017 and 18 and 19 and beyond...

If they work out or not,  it has no bearing on Chuck Pagano.    Good or bad,  this is ALL Chris Ballard.

theres no proof that im wrong either.  it makes sense that chuck gave input on draft picks during his time as head coach, and most of them also didnt work out 

2 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

theres no proof that im wrong either.  it makes sense that chuck gave input on draft picks during his time as head coach, and most of them also didnt work out 

No, I'm sure you're right.  I don't remember his exact words, but Ballard essentially said Banner was Philbin's guy.  Of course he was supplying players for Chuck and that regime, with the advice of the old scouting department and front office.  Look at the free agents who lasted only a year - Hankins and Simon.  Only a few players from that draft class and free agency period seem to be surviving.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, il vecchio said:

Rather than post the same tired s--t over and over again here, why not just find another team to be a fan of?  When Ballard is gone, you can consider becoming a fan again.  Make sense?

:agree:       With that said if you notice it's always the same handful of forum members who stay negative and complain no matter what the Colts do.

19 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You are correct that being negative won't change anything, and I commend you for your positive outlook and attitude on the team and the game. However, there are a lot of people here that vent by being negative on here. It's a forum where we all share a similar love of the Colts, and they are just sharing their opinion. A lot of people here don't have family or friends who watch the Colts with them, or they are casuals where they don't know the team by heart, or realize everything that goes on, and they use this forum as a means of communication to vent their negative thoughts to people who understand their feelings.

Part of the fun is the journey of getting there, but it does get frustrating at times as well with continuous injuries and draft busts. There is a lot of frustration on this forum. I guarantee when we win and start to build a great team, morale will go up, but it is tough times as a Colts fan right now. I generally look at the draft picks and young kids as a way to substitute the current talent level and negatives as a positive, but the injuries are killing us.

Ballard is doing fine though, and like I said, it's going to take another year. He's only been here two years, so he doesn't deserve any blame at the moment, but it's a culmination of the Pagano/Grigson era, combined with Luck's injury and a continuous rebuild that has us on edge right now.

Absolutely, being a fan is a lifelong journey. And like a human life, there will be birth and death. Players, GMs and coaches will come and go, team will play good and bad and asking your team to play for SB every year is like asking your parents not to die and kids to stay little and funny. Never happen.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bravo4460 said:

They are an NFL team. They are suppose to fight for wins.

This season has not been good. Expected but really nothing to be proud of either.

That is right they are supposed to fight for the game.  This team showed some heart last night and some fight.  They were decimated by injuries going into a hostile environment against a team that just dismantled a 3-0 team.  Let us not forget we were coming off an OT game and this was a short week with travel.

Even in the Peyton years I remember going into Foxboro and there being games where we just got our hind ends kicked, and just took it.  Tonight was different, if you were watching.  We got lucky on one take away, but the Gronk one was forced by a perfectly timed hit.  

If Wilkins doesn't lose that fumble, we are knocking on the redzone again.  Don't forget that Vinny uncharacteristically missed a shorter FG too. This team did not die and kept fighting.  Just like the other games we have lost this year, we have been right in it.

The defense ended up giving up 38 points, but 14 of them were because of a short field.  Lets not forget we were missing our best defensive player in Leanard.  We were also missing our slot CB and during the game lost out MLB and DE's(Hunt and Autry).

This is still a rebuilding year, but this team will be a force to be reckoned with in a year or two.  Don't @ me, and don't try to jump on the train when it's already rolling!

9 hours ago, threeflight said:

So far I have seen him bungle the QB and coach situation last year, have what is turning out to be a TERRIBLE draft last year, do next to  nothing in FA the last 2 years despite having more money than Soros, and now....this years draft is turning out to be middling at best (drafting a guard that early was pointless for example), and he has completely FAILED at helping Luck with offensive help.  

We have a plethora of average RBs, and our Wrs, even with Hilton, are below average.  Due to injuries Luck has Ebron as his # 1 target.

Cmon.

Either he is totally tanking this year, or he has no idea what he is doing.  Either way....I don't like it.

Want some cheese with that whine?

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

I hate losing, especially to the Bengals and Patriots in the same year. But it is what it is. 

I can't blame this all on Ballard. You hire a player with the intention that they will play and be healthy. There's no way we can predict or prevent injuries. I truly think we're just cursed. 

I can relate to some worries though. As a Reds fan, we were told it would be a three year rebuild after firing Dusty Baker, and to expect the team to contend in 2018.

Yeah... 

It all comes down to next year honestly. Will the team improve? We all hope so for Reich and Ballard's sake. 

If pagano and the old staff were coaching last night we would have lost by 40

13 minutes ago, gnet550 said:

That is right they are supposed to fight for the game.  This team showed some heart last night and some fight.  They were decimated by injuries going into a hostile environment against a team that just dismantled a 3-0 team.  Let us not forget we were coming off an OT game and this was a short week with travel.

Even in the Peyton years I remember going into Foxboro and there being games where we just got our hind ends kicked, and just took it.  Tonight was different, if you were watching.  We got lucky on one take away, but the Gronk one was forced by a perfectly timed hit.  

If Wilkins doesn't lose that fumble, we are knocking on the redzone again.  Don't forget that Vinny uncharacteristically missed a shorter FG too. This team did not die and kept fighting.  Just like the other games we have lost this year, we have been right in it.

The defense ended up giving up 38 points, but 14 of them were because of a short field.  Lets not forget we were missing our best defensive player in Leanard.  We were also missing our slot CB and during the game lost out MLB and DE's(Hunt and Autry).

This is still a rebuilding year, but this team will be a force to be reckoned with in a year or two.  Don't @ me, and don't try to jump on the train when it's already rolling!

Dont get me wrong. This season is a wash but again I believe it may be on purpose. 

IF the draft goes right and Ballard chooses to spend even a little bit of money on a possible game changing player in FA and it works out then this Colts team has a real chance at the playoffs next year and possibly many after.

Obviously the Colts need a good offseason every year but next year is a big one.

• Like 1

You cant judge this year's teams (W-L) because so any players are hurt

You cant judge last year's team (W-L) because Andrew didn't play.

I realize those sounds like excuses but you cant win when your best players are hurt.

I'm disappointed about this year so far (and I didn't agree with the veterans we cut in the off-season) but a half dozen of our better guys are in street clothes every game

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, gnet550 said:

Not to mention the Pats were near full capacity with their roster. The odds that were stacked up against us coming into the game almost insurmountable. The continuous adversaties thrown at us are taking a toll. With all of the miscues, untimly penalties, injuries, etc it just shows we arent a good team atm. What is giving us the optical illusion is that we have the fight, the pride, the will to win, and have been in nearly all games so far this year. But bad teams find a way to lose. It is frustrating and hard to watch. It is not all on CBall though. Sure he has missed on draft picks. All GMs do. Ours unfortunately were high picks. Those hurt. We also have a couple steals. The lack of FA spending means we are looking to keep our own when their contracts are due, and to put us over the top when we get "there". What is proving that CBall is doing what he promised, is that with all of the injuries, we are scraping deep on the depth chart, and staying competetive. 

6 minutes ago, Coltsfan1953 said:

I don't know why but this team seems to be a lot better than last years team. The record doesn't show it but it seems to be a lot better overall team.

the team shows up to play for frank, but they make a lot of mistakes

chucks teams came out flat nearly every week

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Coltsfan1953 said:

I don't know why but this team seems to be a lot better than last years team. The record doesn't show it but it seems to be a lot better overall team.

Luck and Frank Reich makes a huge difference.  

I would have liked to have seen Leonard and Walker is last year's D, even if Leonard wasn't the prototypical 34 LB.  

4 hours ago, John Waylon said:

I really cannot believe the amount of this I see. People think Ballard showed up here and it was his first day in the league. 

He was the head head of the scouting department in Kansas City. Every bit of draft knowledge they amassed on players in last year’s class he brought over here with him. Every. Single. Profile.

Come on folks, you think Ballard walked into his office on day 1 with a bare cupboard and started his draft prep from scratch?

Or more than that you really think he walked in and used Grigson or Pagano’s notes on the draft class? 

Come on. 

Ya I’m just wondering when people on here will stop blaming Grigson and Pagano for our current team. Ya they were trash, but Ballard has almost a completely new roster and staff of his choosing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, il vecchio said:

Rather than post the same tired s--t over and over again here, why not just find another team to be a fan of?  When Ballard is gone, you can consider becoming a fan again.  Make sense?

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

:agree:       With that said if you notice it's always the same handful of forum members who stay negative and complain no matter what the Colts do.

haha  If they go join another fanbase, they'll just join the same segment of the fanbase for that team that bashes everyone from the owner down to the waterboys when the team loses.  Every team has these fans, the Colts are just one of the very few that give them a public forum on its' website.

Having said that, there is a LOT of stuff on these forums that is very much worth ignoring after a loss... like the OP in this thread, for example...  not sure why I clicked on it...  :facepalm:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

haha  If they go join another fanbase, they'll just join the same segment of the fanbase for that team that bashes everyone from the owner down to the waterboys when the team loses.  Every team has these fans, the Colts are just one of the very few that give them a public forum on its' website.

Having said that, there is a LOT of stuff on these forums that is very much worth ignoring after a loss... like the OP in this thread, for example...  not sure why I clicked on it...  :facepalm:

Yeah I get we are 1-4 (I am not even happy about that and I don't blame people for not being happy) but we have been in every game with a chance to win. Even last night Luck pulled us within 7 points before the Pats blew it open. Eventhough the record doesn't show it we look much better than last season. Luck looks at worse around 85-90% healthy which is great news, Leonard looks like a franchise type of player on Defense as well. Numbers wise, Luck actually outplayed Brady last night. He had more Yards, same amount of TD's, same amount of INT's. Many people in here picked us only to win between 5-7 games and that is mainly the people that complain 24/7. If your expectations is basically a 6 win season, why complain is my question?

17 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I've been a Colts fan, diehard, since I was 5 years old during the Bert Jones days.  I have been a diehard Colts fan everyday since.  I was the kid would would try to build an antenna on the roof to get a snowfilled tv that hopefully was showing a Colts game on NBC.  I was the kid that sat in my dads car trying to listen to a game on the radio from 500 miles away.  I was the kid who asked for nothing but Colts gear for Christmas.  I was the kid who wore Colts gear year around. 

I was the guy who stayed with the Colts for years and years after Bert Jones, after the move to Indy, after they finished with losing records year after year.

So when I say I am a Colts fan?  I can honestly say there is no greater Colts fan than me.  

That doesn't mean I wear blinders.  And when I feel CB has not impressed me, and I have gone over some of the reasons, I mean it.  I am not trolling.  I am not over reacting.  He just doesn't.

That doesn't mean he can't get better.  But right now...today?  I see nothing he has done that says "he has it".  He got Luck back this year.  He has had 2 drafts.  2 years of FA.  His team his devoid of talent and beyond all?  1-4.

Period.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

1- Good offensive linemen do not become free agents

2- The only reason Belichick signed Gordon was the Patriots were desperate to sign any receiver with talent.

3- You are not a GM.

Good OL players hit FA all the time. It’s the one position group (and maybe RB as well) that you can typically get good players.

I’m going to say this again, if you thought that this team would be contending for the division, let alone a spot in the playoffs, then you were setting yourself up for disappointment.

We are all fans of this team but we also have to be realistic.  This team is young, not as talented as we think, and injured.  

Enjoy the ride.  In my opinion, Ballard is building this team for longevity.  Getting young studs in place and keeping our cap nice and plump to splash on free agents when the time is right.

10 minutes ago, threeflight said:

But right now...today?  I see nothing he has done that says "he has it".  He got Luck back this year.  He has had 2 drafts.  2 years of FA.  His team his devoid of talent and beyond all?  1-4.

You and some others need to learn PATIENCE.

Belichick wasn't impressive at first.  Look at the history.

Jimmy Johnson wasn't impressive at first.  Look at the history.

Bill Polian wasn't impressive at first.  Look at the history.

You have to BUILD something impressive, you can't just BUY it your first season or two...

You know who was "impressive" after just one season as GM?  Ryan Grigson... let that sink in.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

If you cant see an improvement in the defense then I question your ability to have the capacity to know the difference.

I think the D has added a few players that have more talent than before yes.

Do I think they are in any way, shape or form a very good or even good D?

No.