Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Some Observations - Defense.

Coffeedrinker

No one has really talked about this that I've seen but for the last two weeks, 7th round pick Zaire Franklin has been the starting SAM over Nathan Goode.

But, I don't know if that really means much since in Week 3, Franklin played a whooping 13 defensive snaps and in Week 4 it was 5.  The Colts seem to like to play a nickle but instead of bring in a 3rd CB, they will bring in Farley as the 3rd safety and drop Geathers down to play a hybrid S/LB role and keep Walker and Leonard on the field.

Also Geathers leads the team in defensive snaps at 298 which according to this site, is 100% of the defensive snaps. and total snaps at 331.  Leonard is the next closest at 297 defensive snaps.

I agree with you, this version of the Tampa 2 is much different than what we're used to seeing.

Farley comes in, Geathers drops down and Walker comes off the field in the Dime.

In the Nickel - which seems to be the base defense, the SAM - which has been Zaire since game 1 comes out and Farley comes in. 

In the past we kept the linebackers on the field FAR MORE than Eberflus has.

We'll see what happens when we play the Jags with thier ground and pound offense. Zaire will likely see more snaps at the SAM...

Having said that, Leonard, Geathers and Walker are the 3 leading tacklers on the team, which is typically who you want to lead your team - WILL, MIKE and your in the box SS!

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

Zaire is a faster player than Goode but just as physical. Zaire a 4.5 guy.

Zaire, Adams, Leonard and Walker are all fast and all tackle very well - which has been a missing component of our D for many years. Skai Moore is on the slower end but those pass defense instincts cannot be taught - which makes him look faster.

That is our core linebacker group and I like thier individual and scheme skillsets!

• Like 1

Not surprised. People were excited when we signed Goode, as if he was an answer to the LB dilemma, but he was a core special team player with the Eagles. Nothing more. Plus like the OP said, that SAM spot isn’t that important in our defense. Or probably any 4-3 for that matter. 

As for Geathers, it seems run stopping is the name of his game. He’s not a playmaker and doesn’t seem to be great in coverage.

The real question is how are they going to play tonight against the pass?  How will they cover Edelman, Gronk, AND Gordon?  I can see having a LB/Geathers cover under and a Safety over the top...But Gordon can take a top off. And Edelman is scary good as a slot/crosser with YAC.  Any answers?  (Not to mention Dorsett has come into his own with the Pats. And White is a heck of a receiver out of the backfield.)

12 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

The real question is how are they going to play tonight against the pass?  How will they cover Edelman, Gronk, AND Gordon?  I can see having a LB/Geathers cover under and a Safety over the top...But Gordon can take a top off. And Edelman is scary good as a slot/crosser with YAC.  Any answers?  (Not to mention Dorsett has come into his own with the Pats. And White is a heck of a receiver out of the backfield.)

Tom Brady is going to have his way with us. Let’s hope Hooker steps up. 

3 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

The only hope the Colts have, is to get to Brady, as the Giants and Broncos have, in the past. They also have to stop the run, to some degree.

If they can do those things and can move the ball offensively, they’ll have a shot at winning this game.

I like the Colts Special Teams as well.

10 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

I agree with you, this version of the Tampa 2 is much different than what we're used to seeing.

Farley comes in, Geathers drops down and Walker comes off the field in the Dime.

In the Nickel - which seems to be the base defense, the SAM - which has been Zaire since game 1 comes out and Farley comes in. 

In the past we kept the linebackers on the field FAR MORE than Eberflus has.

We'll see what happens when we play the Jags with thier ground and pound offense. Zaire will likely see more snaps at the SAM...

Having said that, Leonard, Geathers and Walker are the 3 leading tacklers on the team, which is typically who you want to lead your team - WILL, MIKE and your in the box SS!

I'm glad you agree but you agree with something I did not say. :)

Zaire has only been the starter the last 2 weeks.  Goode was the starter the first two weeks.  Although starter is probably not the best word.  But Goode came in first and then Franklin, they split defensive snaps about 55/45 Franklin.  The last couple of weeks it's been Franklin getting about 85% of the defensive snaps(between the 2, but the sam position is only on the field about 25% of the plays).

5 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

Tom Brady is going to have his way with us. Let’s hope Hooker steps up. 

This^^^^^^^. Hooker needs to step and make Brady pay if he tries to go downfield. It is going to be difficult either way, but without Hooker taking away the back end it will be a very long night.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

No one has really talked about this that I've seen but for the last two weeks, 7th round pick Zaire Franklin has been the starting SAM over Nathan Goode.

But, I don't know if that really means much since in Week 3, Franklin played a whooping 13 defensive snaps and in Week 4 it was 5.  The Colts seem to like to play a nickle but instead of bring in a 3rd CB, they will bring in Farley as the 3rd safety and drop Geathers down to play a hybrid S/LB role and keep Walker and Leonard on the field.

Also Geathers leads the team in defensive snaps at 298 which according to this site, is 100% of the defensive snaps. and total snaps at 331.  Leonard is the next closest at 297 defensive snaps.

Im fine with it, Geathers fits the build of one of those Hybrid S/LB sorta like Deone Buchanon, Mark Barron. he can come down and play enforcer in the box with Farley over the top. Farely is the better cover safety between the two any ways so utilize them to their strengths.

• Like 1