Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chubb vs the Maniac

csmopar

2 hours ago, The Peytonator said:

It’s easier to get sacks when you’re unblocked. 

I say this as a big fan of Darius Leonard and someone who wanted Ballard to draft him. Every GM would draft Bradley Chubb if they had the choice between the two with the benefit of hindsight and foresight, and it wouldn’t even be up for debate. 

Yeah...Leonard's sacks are great...but they shouldn't be how we ultimately measure him. It's more about timing than anyting...when Eberflus calls it. If Leonard gets a free path to the QB, he typcially gets a sack or can swap the ball down. But if he doesn't...he is easily blocked...and then he is taken out of the play entirely...which hurts the Colts. I have seen this happen at least a few times in recent games.

Personally, I think Leonard has been blitzing a bit too often in the past couple of games. It's nice to mix it up...but Leonard is the best tackler and the guy covering the middle of the field. If he is blitzing (whether it's Eberflus calling it or if he is doing it himself), they better guess correctly. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Peytonator said:

It’s easier to get sacks when you’re unblocked. 

It's often more difficult, actually.  How often do you see a QB side step or escape the blitzer in full view?  How often does the blitzer whiff?  Leonard, however, as he displays sideline-to-sideline, has a unique ability to close the final 5 yards and secure the tackle, which is why Eberflus is applying that talent everywhere, to the QB included.

2 hours ago, shastamasta said:

but Leonard is the best tackler and the guy covering the middle of the field

I think Leonard's blitzes have come far more often when he's lined up at Will... Not Mike.  I also think a couple of his sacks were green dog blitzes

2 hours ago, J@son said:

I think Leonard's blitzes have come far more often when he's lined up at Will... Not Mike.  I also think a couple of his sacks were green dog blitzes

Could be...I would have to see film of them all. I can recall on two of them that he headed straight for the QB off the snap. Against WAS, he actually ran past the RB (likely his cover assignment) on his route...and the RB didn't chip him...he just moved out of the way.

He does have good instincts though. 

I would say that, based on the reports from beat writers, it is not just Leonard's play that is impressive, but that he has already taken the team to a new level in terms of his determination and football character....something Ballard raved about when selecting him.

I love this quote I heard recently......"A rising tide raises all boats".

Again, it is obviously early in his career, but someone coming in with a new level of determination, hunger and desire can have a huge effect on the rest of the team, seeing them raise their games to a new level also.

That, along with the promising signs from Eberflus, means we have hope for a solid defence for this and future years.

20 hours ago, csmopar said:

i didn't post this as a way to make Chubb look bad or to bash him.  Merely to show that sometimes, all that pre-draft talk is just that, talk.  Chubb may flip a switch but one thing that always worried me was his size. at nearly 300 pounds, him at LB isn't gonna work well for him. But yet thats where he plays. 

Agree with this point! Reminds me of how everyone was calling Reggie Bush the next coming of Barry Sanders back in 2006. Every year, a player gets hyped, and sometimes they even live up to it, but the reality is that it's probably closer to a 50/50 proposition. And vice versa for players selected in the later rounds. Just ask Tom Brady and Robert Mathis.

19 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

Ya Turay is a closer comparison. 3-4 OLB is pretty much a DE, not a mlb. MLBs always lead their team in tackles. That’s just how it is.

Also should we talk about how Nelson is getting outplayed by other guards drafted much lower than him?

Do you have stats to back that up?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was a big chubb guy, but he and Leonard have very different responsibilities imo, regardless of their stated positions, so stat comparison would be misleading.

I would say this though.  RIGHT NOW, as a fan of both, I would be a bit disappointed in Chubb's performance and ecstatic in Leonard's.  End of season, who knows.