Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Teams of Historical Mediocrity

shakedownstreet

What teams are not very often terrible, and never excellent with great success?

I got the Chargers. They're always pretty good they've been to a few Super Bowls. This year's team looks pretty good on paper, but their record is at the appropriate two and two, right on shedule!

Next I'll take the Redskins. I know they were pretty dominant through the 80s and early 90s. But the last quarter-century they've been competitive but never very good. And not very often have they been awful either.

Also what teams have been very very good without getting over the ultimate hump?

My first choice is the Vikings. In the Super Bowl era they have made the playoffs 27 times, and they've been to four Super Bowls without winning any. They've been pretty good in the last couple decades as well. Remember those teams with Jeff George and Warren Moon? 

Secondly I'll take the Chiefs. They have won one Super Bowl nearly 50 years ago, ironically versus the Vikings. But they haven't been back since then.  They have had some pretty darn good teams over the years with a storied history of one-and-dones in the playoffs, several at the hands of the Indianapolis Colts

The Chiefs aren't terrible but never excellent and the Bills four straight Super Bowl losses That had to be devastating for that city  They were so close in their first attempt if Norwood hits the field goal who knows how that changes things. 

I'm gonna go with... every team except the Patriots, Cowboys, 49ers, Steelers, and Packers.

Every team has been in the basement at some point.  Most teams have experienced the top of the mountain, or at least come heart-breakingly close like the Cardinals, Titans, Bills, etc.  But some teams rise to the top and STAY there for a while.

Any franchise that can't claim a Dynasty has to be considered mediocre at this point.  Especially when you throw in some historically bad runs like the Browns, Lions, Raiders, Bucs, etc.

43 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I'm gonna go with... every team except the Patriots, Cowboys, 49ers, Steelers, and Packers.

Every team has been in the basement at some point.  Most teams have experienced the top of the mountain, or at least come heart-breakingly close like the Cardinals, Titans, Bills, etc.  But some teams rise to the top and STAY there for a while.

Any franchise that can't claim a Dynasty has to be considered mediocre at this point.  Especially when you throw in some historically bad runs like the Browns, Lions, Raiders, Bucs, etc.

One thing to remember is the Patriots through history have been mediocre at one point in history.  Up until Belichick the Patriots were mediocre.

The Colts have had their share too.

My Greatest franchises to never win a SB and their best team:

#1 1990 Buffalo Bills - have went to 4 SB's as a franchise, lost 20-19 to the NY Giants in the 1990 season SB.

#2 1998 Minnesota Vikings - have went to 4 SB's as a franchise, lost 30-27 in OT to the Atlanta Falcons in the 98 NFC Title Game. IMO that was one of the biggest upsets of all-time.

#3 1988 Cincinnati Bengals - have went to 2 SB's as a franchise, that team lost 20-16 to the SF 49ers in the 1988 season SB.

My Top 5 Greatest franchises ever and their best team:

1. 1978 Pittsburgh Steelers - have won 6 SB's as a franchise. Most ever and their best team was 1978. In 1978 they had the SteelCurtain Defense! 

2. 1989 SF 49ers - have won 5 SB's as a franchise. Montana, Rice, Lott =1989

3. 1992 Dallas Cowboys - have won 5 SB's as a franchise, this team was a machine and would beat the 2004 Pats IMO. Great O.Line, Smith/Aikman/Irvin.

4. 2004 NE Patriots - have won 5 SB's as a franchise. Brady and Belichick!

5. 1986 NY Giants - have won 4 SB's as a franchise, I think they were better than the 1996 GB Packers. LT is the greatest Defensive player I have ever seen.

5b. 1996 GB Packers - like the Giants have won 4 SB's. Favre was a beast that season.

-Most dominant 1 year team I have ever seen:

1985 Chicago Bears = nasty Defense and they had Walter Payton, went 18-1 and won the SB. Miami Dolphins went 17-0 in 1972 but by my eye test the Bears were a better team. I have went back and watched alot of those Dolphin games, I watched all the Bears games in 85 as well.

-Indianapolis Colts greatest team ever:

2006 Indianapolis Colts - went 10-0 at home including the Playoffs. Beat the 2006 Baltimore Ravens in Baltimore when they had Ray Lewis and Ed Reed in their primes, then beat the 2006 NE Patriots with Tom and BB to get to the SB. There will never be another Peyton Manning!

• Like 1

still 13 teams that have never won a super bowl though some of them are pretty new, like the jags, texans and panthers 

i would have thought the nfl would be a lot better than the nba here, but 13 out of 30 nba teams havnet won, and some of them are new too

The Redskins belong with the Patriots, Cowboys, 49ers, Steelers, and Packers imo. They won 3 SBs and would have won more but they had an achilles heel Colts/Pats thing going with the 49ers. The Byner Fumble II was a bigger flub than anything we've seen on the seemingly rigged SNF games in recent years. Plus all those other good teams going all the way back to Sammy Baugh. Sonny, Riggins, Huff, etc.

The Patriots weren't what I'd call mediocre before the Belichik era or even the Parcels era historically. They just happened to have their roughest patch between Parcels and the fall of the 85 SB team which is what most people here probably remember, which only happened because Dan McPherson got sick.

I have the Saints below mediocre historically but I better not even open that can of worms.

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

My Greatest franchises to never win a SB and their best team:

#1 1990 Buffalo Bills - have went to 4 SB's as a franchise, lost 20-19 to the NY Giants in the 1990 season SB.

#2 1998 Minnesota Vikings - have went to 4 SB's as a franchise, lost 30-27 in OT to the Atlanta Falcons in the 98 NFC Title Game. IMO that was one of the biggest upsets of all-time.

#3 1988 Cincinnati Bengals - have went to 2 SB's as a franchise, that team lost 20-16 to the SF 49ers in the 1988 season SB.

My Top 5 Greatest franchises ever and their best team:

1. 1978 Pittsburgh Steelers - have won 6 SB's as a franchise. Most ever and their best team was 1978. In 1978 they had the SteelCurtain Defense! 

2. 1989 SF 49ers - have won 5 SB's as a franchise. Montana, Rice, Lott =1989

3. 1992 Dallas Cowboys - have won 5 SB's as a franchise, this team was a machine and would beat the 2004 Pats IMO. Great O.Line, Smith/Aikman/Irvin.

4. 2004 NE Patriots - have won 5 SB's as a franchise. Brady and Belichick!

5. 1986 NY Giants - have won 4 SB's as a franchise, I think they were better than the 1996 GB Packers. LT is the greatest Defensive player I have ever seen.

5b. 1996 GB Packers - like the Giants have won 4 SB's. Favre was a beast that season.

-Most dominant 1 year team I have ever seen:

1985 Chicago Bears = nasty Defense and they had Walter Payton, went 18-1 and won the SB. Miami Dolphins went 17-0 in 1972 but by my eye test the Bears were a better team. I have went back and watched alot of those Dolphin games, I watched all the Bears games in 85 as well.

2006 Indianapolis Colts - went 10-0 at home including the Playoffs. Beat the 2006 Baltimore Ravens in Baltimore when they had Ray Lewis and Ed Reed in their primes, then beat the 2006 NE Patriots with Tom and BB to get to the SB. There will never be another Peyton Manning!

:) Great, but what's your feeling on the topic?

17 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I guess you have to give it to the 06 team for getting the ultimate job done, but the '05 team was more dominate in all phases of the game. I guess 05 was the most dominant regular season team and 06 was the most dominant post season team

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/3/2018 at 1:27 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

2005 Colts would have ripped the 2006 colts in half. Regular season anyways lol 

I have the 96 Packers higher than most people do, and definitely higher than the 86 Giants. They were the only ones to beat the Bills! And I don't mean the ones from Buffalo!

People also forget that that was by far Favre's best WR core. Brooks, Freeman, plus 3 veterans who had some gas left in the tank Beebe, Rison and Howard. And Howard of course on special teams. Top offense, top defense and top special teams all in the same season. And beat both kings of the Patriots in 1 game. 

• Like 1