Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dropped Passes

Smonroe

3 hours ago, Smonroe said:

How many dropped passes were there?

I was at the game and haven’t seen the stats, but I think I counted 6 drops.  

I saw a twit during the game, about Luck starting 5/5 on passing, then he wen 1/10 (it was around the beginning of 2nd Q). Assuming there were some bad throws/good D, 6 drops happened only during the 1st half.

1 hour ago, zibby43 said:

Ebron is starting to mildly concern me.  More specifically, his hands.  And his penalties.

His hands have been better than I expected based on the Lion's fans comments, but the penalties have been too often for the amount of time he has been on the field.

Mo Alie Cox's penalty was also a killer today, although why he was lined up 1 on 1 with Clowney is beyond me.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, zibby43 said:

Ebron is starting to mildly concern me.  More specifically, his hands.  And his penalties.

His lack of effort is my biggest concern with him.   I recall Detroit fans warning us.   I thought a change of scenery would make the difference.   He's got the size and speed, but he doesn't use it.   He doesn't fight the defender for the ball.   He doesn't put those long arms up.   If the pass isn't to him, he just stops and watches the play.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Myles said:

His lack of effort is my biggest concern with him.   I recall Detroit fans warning us.   I thought a change of scenery would make the difference.   He's got the size and speed, but he doesn't use it.   He doesn't fight the defender for the ball.   He doesn't put those long arms up.   If the pass isn't to him, he just stops and watches the play.  

His touchdown catch was Quality..... He stretched out for that.

Be critical of all players but acknowledge when the skills are on display (unless it doesn't fit your agenda).....

Just saying

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Introspect said:

His touchdown catch was Quality..... He stretched out for that.

Be critical of all players but acknowledge when the skills are on display (unless it doesn't fit your agenda).....

Just saying

I don't think he puts the effort in as he should.    There are exceptions of course.     

11 hours ago, #12. said:

Some of those were just good, timely breakups by the defense.  

Thank you. I mean good grief, Andrew has always been one of the league leaders in this.
Late throws, off prime target area, it is part of HIS game. He needs to anticipate better, throw sooner and more accurately. Not news for him. Remain hopeful.
 Manning required tons of reps to build the trust that his receivers would be where he thought they would be.
 Frank and his staff know how to flood the field and get Someone open.

There is a HUGE difference between a dropped pass and a contested catch.

I marvel at people clamoring on and on about it. As a former WR it's infinitely more difficult to catch and hold on to the ball when you have a DB draped across you or swatting at your hands or chopping your arms - which was the case on quite a few of the "drops" this year.

The only true "drop" that I recall yesterday was Chris Johnson on that 4th and 2 when he turned his head to run too soon.

If there were others I ask you to rewatch the game and look at those contested catches that were "drops"!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

I really thought the change of scenery would be great for him.   He just doesn't try very hard.  

I believe change of scenery can work for many players (and has.. like Dipo recently) but didn't believe that would be the case with Ebron... Saw the lack of effort too many times from him, especially in blocking, inc. the infamous one.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Can't wait for Doyle to get healthy cause I'm over Ebron. 

He reminds me of Allen who drove me nuts as well. 

1 hour ago, Luck 4 president said:

I am all for spending a high draft pick on a WR next draft. 

I think Cain would have been very good if not for the injury. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Myles said:

I would tend to agree with those observations, with one minor caveat.  I think Ebron puts out on some plays, but not on the regular basis we need him to.

Ebron is lacking that consistent effort and focus.  I think he's made some big plays, and I won't take those away from him.  But this team needs that big-play effort consistently, play-in, play-out. 

He subs out after contact quite frequently, too. 

3 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

We were warned from his play in Detroit and they were so happy to get rid of him

He was proving them wrong in limited snaps earlier in the season.  He's still exceeding my expectations but there are some flags to pay attention now, for sure.  The spotlight is on him in Jack's absence.

2 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

I also wonder if Doyle is going to be back this year with that hip

Same.  I think we all realize what a player Doyle is now.  His blocking was really starting to improve.  Runs great routes. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, BlueCollarColts said:

I will say this though... I liked Pascal a lot. I thought he filled in well for Hilton and made several big plays and got open.

Would be great if he became a contributor without having to draft every position high. Gives us room for other things.

3 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

There is a HUGE difference between a dropped pass and a contested catch.

I marvel at people clamoring on and on about it. As a former WR it's infinitely more difficult to catch and hold on to the ball when you have a DB draped across you or swatting at your hands or chopping your arms - which was the case on quite a few of the "drops" this year.

The only true "drop" that I recall yesterday was Chris Johnson on that 4th and 2 when he turned his head to run too soon.

If there were others I ask you to rewatch the game and look at those contested catches that were "drops"!

I agree with what you are saying. There were some contested and others the DB slapped away but there was more then one dropped pass yesterday. The Johnson drop was the worst of the bunch but  Hines dropped a little dump off.   Pascal and Grant might have been guilty too if I remember correctly. 

I think part of the problem may have been the roof. I'd have to go back and watch to be sure but I think we had problems when Luck was throwing from the sun. I'm not trying to make excuses we should still catch the ball. 

That being said I don't quite understand the call for an early pick on a WR. We need more speed? The guys we brought in run 4.4 or better with size. Grant has played well and Rogers is coming along. I have liked Pascal from jump street. We will get Cain back and Fountain/Ishmael from. the PS..

This group has potential from where I sit.

I'm afraid those who want a WR early will be disappointed.  I think Ballard is going to give these guys a go. That's why they are here. It is a bit early to declare the WR position a need It has  just been 4 games and last week our QB was broken.  Our draft picks from this draft aren't on the field. This week Luck goes for almost 500 yards minus his top guy and safety blanket and the WR's stink?.

1 hour ago, akcolt said:

I agree with what you are saying. There were some contested and others the DB slapped away but there was more then one dropped pass yesterday. The Johnson drop was the worst of the bunch but  Hines dropped a little dump off.   Pascal and Grant might have been guilty too if I remember correctly. 

I think part of the problem may have been the roof. I'd have to go back and watch to be sure but I think we had problems when Luck was throwing from the sun. I'm not trying to make excuses we should still catch the ball. 

That being said I don't quite understand the call for an early pick on a WR. We need more speed? The guys we brought in run 4.4 or better with size. Grant has played well and Rogers is coming along. I have liked Pascal from jump street. We will get Cain back and Fountain/Ishmael from. the PS..

I'm afraid those who want a WR early will be disappointed.  I think Ballard is going to give these guys a go. That's why they are here. It is a bit early to declare the WR position a need It has  just been 4 games and last week our QB was broken.  Our draft picks from this draft aren't on the field. This week Luck goes for almost 500 yards minus his top guy and safety blanket and the WR's stink?.

Agreed, Cain or Fountain can also take the top off of a defense, one needs to heal and the other needs to refine his raw skills on the PS.

21 hours ago, krunk said:

Yeah we dont usually drop the ball like that. You know its bad when Grant drops the ball.

He had about 3 that I can recall on a few slant routes he ran. The catch that killed us the most was the Marcus Johnson drop in OT he was wide open. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, zibby43 said:

9 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

We were warned from his play in Detroit and they were so happy to get rid of him

Pat Kirwan says to never expect 'better' play or production from a FA than he previously did with his previous team. Much more often than not, it typically just doesn't happen.

12 hours ago, akcolt said:

The WR group is not very good.   We do need to address it in FA or the draft. 

Would any team give us a 4th round pick for any of our receivers? 

With TY most likely out vs Patriots, we are most definitely going to find out what we really have at wideout.  And I think it’s time we start forcing the action to these new guys (Rogers, Grant, Pascal, Johnson) to see if any of them are worth keeping next year.  This next game Rogers should be used as our poor man’s Edelman.  

Especially with Doyle out too.  Rogers should get 10-15 targets working out of the slot.  Many of those first reads for Luck.  Let’s find out for sure if he can produce.  Doyle, got the opportunity and proved himself.  Give Rogers the chance and let’s see if he deserves the spot and more targets?  And if he doesn’t, at least we’ll “know” that we still need a possession receiver. 

3 hours ago, Myles said:

The WR group is not very good.   We do need to address it in FA or the draft. 

Would any team give us a 4th round pick for any of our receivers? 

Name some other team’s 2nd to 4th string receivers that you’d give up a 4th round pick for?