Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Game Officials

JMichael557

Not complaining that the officials cost us the game but the overall officiating was really bad. The two critical holding calls were not NFL holds. In fact Q simply pancaked his man.  The intentional grounding call on Luck a High School crew could have got that correct. Anyone could see that his throw was affected he was not throwing the ball away. (The hit by clowney caused the throw).  The two holding calls were citical.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The intentional grounding was a clown call.  Absolutely wrong. 

They literally don't know the rules apparently.   

"the passer initiates his passing motion toward an eligible receiver and then is significantly affected by physical contact from a defensive player that causes the pass to land in an area that is not in the direction and vicinity of an eligible receiver;". 

First time I've ever seen the it called in that situation. No idea how they didn't correct it and pick up the flag.  

The Colts are being targeted for some reason. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

You could clearly see where he intended to throw it and clearly he was hit.

Such a blatant dumb call.

I still don't get why they can't correct blown calls regardless of if it's reviewable or not. Fix mistakes, don't hide behind the dumb excuse of 'oh but we can't, it's whistled dead or that play or incident isn't reviewable.

I'll be the first to admit that it's the fault of the rules as to why the refs look bad, but they're constantly missing easy, well known rules.  

I am just some average fan and I know the rule on intentional grounding (as I'm sure most average fans do).  

There's no excuse to miss that. 

• Like 1

Just now, IinD said:

You could clearly see where he intended to throw it and clearly he was hit.

Such a blatant dumb call.

I still don't get why they can't correct blown calls regardless of if it's reviewable or not. Fix mistakes, don't hide behind the dumb excuse of 'oh but we can't, it's whistled dead or that play or incident isn't reviewable.

They could have corrected it. They pick up flags all the time.  

The whole crew missed it apparently.  

Find better refs.  

No excuse for this garbage. 

• Like 2

I didn't get to see the game but I just watched a 15 minute YouTube video of it and just watched the Deion/Shannon postgame. They didn't say anything about bad calls and neither did the YouTube comments. YouTube comments...if they're not in the YouTube comments they didn't cost the Colts the game. Seems like the abandoned the run and blew it in OT.

11 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

I didn't get to see the game but I just watched a 15 minute YouTube video of it and just watched the Deion/Shannon postgame. They didn't say anything about bad calls and neither did the YouTube comments. YouTube comments...if they're not in the YouTube comments they didn't cost the Colts the game. Seems like the abandoned the run and blew it in OT.

I don't think the refs cost us the game.  I rarely ever do.   But listening to Shannon and deion and YouTube.   I would be embarrassed to comment on anything concerning the game of I didn't at least watch it

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, BloodyChamp said:

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

I don't think the refs cost us the game.  I rarely ever do.   But listening to Shannon and deion and YouTube.   I would be embarrassed to comment on anything concerning the game of I didn't at least watch it

I know you're still upset about the Brock thread but slow down and read like a normal robot.

2 hours ago, ricker182 said:

"the passer initiates his passing motion toward an eligible receiver and then is significantly affected by physical contact from a defensive player that causes the pass to land in an area that is not in the direction and vicinity of an eligible receiver;". 

First time I've ever seen the it called in that situation. No idea how they didn't correct it and pick up the flag.  

The Colts are being targeted for some reason. 

When they replayed it , I actually didn't see any contact to Lucks arm . I recorded it so i may go back and double check but even the commentators mentioned that upon review they didn't see contact. 

40 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I agree bad calls apart of every game.  The one that was really bad was the grounding call but I believe the Colts scored on that drive, though I could be wrong, if they did how much did that flag really hurt?

I think things like dropped passes, two fumbles inside your own 15 yardline, not being able to figure out how to cover a slot WR coming across the middle or Fuller running 15 yards down the field and turning right towards the sideline were more why the Colts lost than the refs were.  

I believe if I am correct not for sure their is a head Ref each game that sits back in New York and is able to see a bad call and lets the ref on the field know this. I thought they went to this years ago to cut down on crucial mistakes the refs were making.

I dont get the crowd that thinks the reffing gets worse every year. It's been bad since I've known football - at all levels. The 5th down, the Steelers OT coin flip in 99, the phantom Testaverde touchdown, tuck rule, the Colts/Steelers AFC championship.  Its not worse, its just more of the same. It happened then and it will continue to happen going forward.

8 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I dont get the crowd that thinks the reffing gets worse every year. It's been bad since I've known football - at all levels. The 5th down, the Steelers OT coin flip in 99, the phantom Testaverde touchdown, tuck rule, the Colts/Steelers AFC championship.  Its not worse, its just more of the same. It happened then and it will continue to happen going forward.

I think the real complaint is it shouldn't happen now when you have 5,592 cameras and angles to look at.

Cleveland got robbed on two terrible calls as well.

8 hours ago, strt182 said:

When they replayed it , I actually didn't see any contact to Lucks arm . I recorded it so i may go back and double check but even the commentators mentioned that upon review they didn't see contact. 

Luck's arm was not hit. It was the hit to his body by Clowney that caused the pass to fall short. That is what they missed. The ball flight should have told them that something external casued the pass to fly the way it did. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

Luck's arm was not hit. It was the hit to his body by Clowney that caused the pass to fall short. That is what they missed. The ball flight should have told them that something external casued the pass to fly the way it did. 

Oh that's weird. Cause I was at the game and it showed the replay on the big screens and his ELBOW was clearly hit by Watt.

also, showed the replay of the Hopkins catch. His first foot was out of bounds. Either that or it was so stinking close you couldn't squeeze and ant in between. We were * and booing non stop at the refs

19 hours ago, JMichael557 said:

Not complaining that the officials cost us the game but the overall officiating was really bad. The two critical holding calls were not NFL holds. In fact Q simply pancaked his man.  The intentional grounding call on Luck a High School crew could have got that correct. Anyone could see that his throw was affected he was not throwing the ball away. (The hit by clowney caused the throw).  The two holding calls were citical.  

Ya dont forget the misses with too many men. Or non holding on texans when they would turn and tackle our D line

7 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Since I'm once of the "crowd" that thinks that, I will answer.  There have always been controversial calls that is true.  But the frequency of known bad calls is definitely worse now.  It may be because we have multiple replays almost instantly and can see it, it may be because of the clarity of the video that they are easier to see.

The plays you mention above were the exception nowadays there are bad/controversial calls in multiple games every week.

On 9/30/2018 at 9:48 PM, BloodyChamp said:

I think it's hilarious that you think you've discerned what happened in this game on the basis of YouTube comments and a postgame piece from two guys who probably didn't watch the game either.

Case in point: The Colts didn't abandon the run game, they never had anything resembling a run game, from the first drive. They actually tried to run the ball on one of the late drives, and it wound up being an unmitigated disaster two plays in a row. But that wasn't in the YouTube comments, either...

And ultimately, the point isn't that the refs cost the Colts the game. The Colts cost themselves the game. But the point is that officiating was and has been obviously terrible in the last two Colts games. And yes, complaints about officiating are going to be louder after losses, but that doesn't change the fact that the officiating has been terrible. 

• Like 1

YouTube comments underneath a 15 minute video that I completed and a postgame show on TV. I don't know why everybody is trying to pretend they don't understand this. I know bad calls hit the fanbase a little harder and I know fans lean towards their teams in amy iffy situation but if bad calls cost the Colts the game I'd have heard about somewhere besides a Colts forum and seen it in a very long highlight video. Meanwhile ya'll can't even agree on what actually happened and are arguing who could see it better as if you're frantically trying to get the excuses straight and justify losing the game. Talk about hilarious.

2 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

YouTube comments underneath a 15 minute video that I completed and a postgame show on TV. I don't know why everybody is trying to pretend they don't understand this. I know bad calls hit the fanbase a little harder and I know fans lean towards their teams in amy iffy situation but if bad calls cost the Colts the game I'd have heard about somewhere besides a Colts forum and seen it in a very long highlight video. Meanwhile ya'll can't even agree on what actually happened and are arguing who could see it better as if you're frantically trying to get the excuses straight and justify losing the game. Talk about hilarious.

I always go to the YouTube comments when trying to find answers.   

No one is frantic about anything.   There were bad calls in every game I've watched this year.   But go back to the YouTube comments,   you're needed there