Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bell to the Colts? (Article/Rumour)

BleedBlue4Shoe86

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see the wear and tear on his body that alot of people are seeing. He's only 26 years old but the key stat is he only has 1229 carries in his 5 year career. That is only 246 a season. It's not like he is running the ball 300+ every season. He did have 321 carries last season - that was most in his career but he showed durability and played in 15 games.

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't see the wear and tear on his body that alot of people are seeing. He's only 26 years old but the key stat is he only has 1229 carries in his 5 year career. That is only 246 a season. It's not like he is running the ball 300+ every season. He did have 321 carries last season - that was most in his career but he showed durability and played in 15 games.

He's had 312 receptions also. Keep this in mind.  that more than 60 /season.  so over 300+ touches/season.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If he gets over 300 carries and around or over 100 receptions, then I fell his tank went toward E really quick these last 2 seasons.  Let’s see if Pitt gives him 400+ touches this year and puts him away wet...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I'd put the odds of Ballard and Irsay trying to sign LeVeon Bell next off-season at roughly,  5 percent.    A punches long shot chance.

But that's it.

Ballard might someday sign someone who will command a large contract,  but I doubt it will be Bell who will be wanting 5/75 and 45 Mill guaranteed.     I don't see our front office doing that.

Sorry,   but I think it's a long shot at best....

The fall for RB's is QUICK, that's what's scary. When they slow down, they're toast quick.

I still believe Polian was right when he said 2,000 carries is the expiration date for an effective running back. He's right if you look at guys stats over the years.

• Like 1

A 26 year old entering the prime of his career. "Too many miles." You know what Adrian Peterson did at age 27 after having "too many miles"? If we can sign him to around a  4 year contract, I'm on board. Its a lot of money but elite RBs are going to start commanding that much money. Look at Gurley. And to any doubt of Bell's talent, that's just ridiculous.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

If he gets over 300 carries and around or over 100 receptions, then I fell his tank went toward E really quick these last 2 seasons.  Let’s see if Pitt gives him 400+ touches this year and puts him away wet...

Yeah I was going to bring up that Pitt does use him alot as a Receiver so maybe alot of people are looking at that + his Carries as being too much. Receiving is easier on his body though as many of those Catches are on the outside where he gets out of of bounds or is being tackled by 1 person. Unlike a RB who may get 325-350 Carries every season and running into piles of guys that much. 

1 hour ago, Luck 4 president said:

If our defense and OL exceed expectations while our running game keeps us from really competing then I say we sign him on a short deal. If we are still a ways away then pass 

Bell doesn't want a short deal.     He just turned down a 5 year, 70 Mill dollar deal with about 33 Mill guaranteed from Pittsburgh.      And Gurley just re-set the market with his deal of 4/60 with 45 Mill guaranteed.

This is Gurley's last chance to get a big contract.    He doesn't want a short deal.    He wants a big deal with BIG guaranteed dollars.     He's not coming to Indy for a deal he can get in Pittsburgh.

@NewColtsFan I agree with you, the % is low we sign Bell. You have it at 5%, I would put it at probably 20% but that is still extremely low. Not a typical Ballard signing but sometimes Irsay loves to make an unexpected huge splash. Bell seems to have an interest in the Colts as well going by his Twitter. I am with you though, I doubt it happens.

18 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Bell doesn't want a short deal.     He just turned down a 5 year, 70 Mill dollar deal with about 33 Mill guaranteed from Pittsburgh.      And Gurley just re-set the market with his deal of 4/60 with 45 Mill guaranteed.

This is Gurley's last chance to get a big contract.    He doesn't want a short deal.    He wants a big deal with BIG guaranteed dollars.     He's not coming to Indy for a deal he can get in Pittsburgh.

I think you meant Bell's. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stitches said:

Oh, I am not particularly enthralled by the idea of giving 15M for a RB either, but if we are to go for elite RB, I'd much rather it be in FA than in the top 10 of a draft... something a ton of people around here were advocating for. 

I think both are examples of bad allocation of resources. One more so. 

If Ballard's mindset is to get a better (maybe elite) RB it would be with a draft. Rookie contracts are a very nice deal for a good RB.

4 hours ago, Superman said:

As per Le'Veon Bell's agent...

Yeah, that's what I more or less suspected. Bell's agent throwing landing spots out at random.

I like his running style. He doesn't fire thru creases. He stutter steps & waits & then makes his move. He catches the ball well & has good hands. He wants too much money. He will probably end up in Detroit or a team that is an afterthought. A place that will overpay him because they are no playoff contender.

I like our backs. No need to bring Bell in.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

He just turned down a 5 year, 70 Mill dollar deal with about 33 Mill guaranteed from Pittsburgh.  

That deal sounds nice on the surface, but when you look at the fine print, it was extremely misleading on what was actually guaranteed money in Bell's pocket had he signed on the dotted line. The last I heard the deal was closer to 10 million guaranteed.

I haven't seen NFL Network today. Perhaps, this offer is new to me. I'm not doubting your information NCF. I just don't trust Pittsburgh because they are kind of a frugal franchise who doesn't reward playmakers outside of their QB, WR, & LT normally. They are just ticked off at Bell for refusing to sign his franchise tag & get into camp.

5 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

get a premium pass rusher first.  RBs can be found.

Well said F33. That does seem to be the consensus in today's game I agree 100%

Not every back can catch the ball like a TE or be superb on blitz pickup for Big Ben though. INDY won't make a play for him. I just think Bell isn't appreciated like he should be that's all.

3 hours ago, IinD said:

The fall for RB's is QUICK, that's what's scary. When they slow down, they're toast quick.

I still believe Polian was right when he said 2,000 carries is the expiration date for an effective running back. He's right if you look at guys stats over the years.

That's where I feel bad for backs though. They take so much contact & their careers only last 4-6 yrs on average. LBs can usually play 8-12 yrs. QBs close to 15 yrs in many cases. While a RB gets a tiny window with a rookie slotted bracket & only 1 lucrative contract if you're lucky.

Look at Adrian Peterson. The man in Minnesota for awhile who had a short stint in Louisiana who is seeing if the Redskins wanna take a flyer on him now. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

No matter what state is legal or not legal it is not legal for a NFL to use it.  The NFL is just like some jobs in Colorado, it is still not legal or acceptable.  Any property owned or subsidized by the federal government it is not legal to use or possess weed.

ok. W.e. 

11 hours ago, southwest1 said:

That deal sounds nice on the surface, but when you look at the fine print, it was extremely misleading on what was actually guaranteed money in Bell's pocket had he signed on the dotted line. The last I heard the deal was closer to 10 million guaranteed.

I haven't seen NFL Network today. Perhaps, this offer is new to me. I'm not doubting your information NCF. I just don't trust Pittsburgh because they are kind of a frugal franchise who doesn't reward playmakers outside of their QB, WR, & LT normally. They are just ticked off at Bell for refusing to sign his franchise tag & get into camp.

Guaranteeing big money long term for Bell IMO is not the smartest investment the Steelers should make.  Pittsburgh is not the only team who are not crazy about paying a RB a large guaranteed contract when their position is one of the shortest career on average. 

With that said does the team or the player pay for the insurance to cover a guaranteed contract in case of a career ending injury?

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Guaranteeing big money long term for Bell IMO is not the smartest investment the Steelers should make.  Pittsburgh is not the only team who are not crazy about paying a RB a large guaranteed contract when their position is one of the shortest career on average. 

With that said does the team or the player pay for the insurance to cover a guaranteed contract in case of a career ending injury?

True, the running back position has lost some of it's leverage now because of the back by committee approach & a workhorse franchise back on the field for all 3 downs is not as commonplace as it once was say back in the Barry Sanders era for example.

Regarding your question, I'm assuming the team not the player would pick up the tab on a career ending injury that happened during a game or team practice. Good question CC1. To be honest with ya, I'm not really sure how Pittsburgh as an organization handled the Ryan Shazier injury regarding medical bills etc. etc. In the NBA, I do recall hearing that league insurance stepped in to pay at least his salary not the Miami Heat during his blood clot dilemma when it was uncertain as to whether Bosh would ever play again.

I know the game has changed now making it harder for backs, safeties, & pass rushers to get serious guaranteed money anymore in large part to analytics & loosening penalties on offensive players while imposing more rules on guys on defense now. I'm not thrilled about it.

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Savage21 said:

The fact that people on here actually think Ballard would sign this guy are delusional.

I don’t. Well not for the money Bell wants. It’s just interesting to see a player constantly hinting at wanting to play somewhere. (For the money obviously)

Don't underestimate Irsay and his dream of another set of triplets.  If Irsay feels Bell really wants to play for the Colts I can see him being all over that.   Any owner would love it if a superstar player would actually throw out hints that he wants to play for your team and Bell is doing just that.  Flattery can go a long way.   Right now it looks like it's a long shot just like the Raiders would never trade Mack was.  Things have a way of changing pretty quickly in the NFL.  Even removing the tag is a possibility.  It's not like it hasn't happened before.  

• Like 1

I do feel for Bell. He’s given Pittsburgh everything he has every year he’s played. How can you blame him for not wanting a big payday? But nobody is giving him the $ he wants. Not long term. 

You wonder if he’d take a 3 year deal. 3 years. $45 mill. $30 m guaranteed. Essentially 2 years & $30m. Right now that has to look good rather than losing all those $ holding out. And he’s worth it short term. 

• Like 1