Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

With Luck's struggles why would they open the roof?

GusFring

45 minutes ago, GusFring said:

Does that not seem dumb to anyone else? 

Isn't it obvious?  The shape of the stadium produces an airfoil effect when the wind blows.  This in turn lowers the air pressure at field level, making it easier for Luck to make throws downfield. 

25 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am trying to figure out what this Thread is about? Not being rude but I am clueless here :dunno:

Haha Yeah remember Luck only threw for 320 yards and 2 TDs game one at home.  I’m sure if they closed the roof he would’ve thrown for 450 yards and 3-4 TD because he struggles with the roof open.  Today there are gail force winds outside.  It’s like he’s going to be playing in Hurricane Florence conditions.

Expect the struggling poor handicapped Luck to struggle.  

13 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

ive been wondering if the roof was a mistake, they only open it a couple times a year and it surely cost a lot of extra money

That's a different issue, and it's the threat of rain, not the temperature that usually keeps it closed - no drainage.  If temperature were the only variable, you would probably get 5 of 8 open roof home games a year, with it being above 50 degrees, plus the preseason.

I do wish it had been designed to allow natural light in, even with the roof closed, like the Minnesota and new Vegas and LA stadiums.

I love the roof being open, personally.  Wish it could be open more often.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

Haha Yeah remember Luck only threw for 320 yards and 2 TDs game one at home.  I’m sure if they closed the roof he would’ve thrown for 450 yards and 3-4 TD because he struggles with the roof open.  Today there are gail force winds outside.  It’s like he’s going to be playing in Hurricane Florence conditions.

Expect the struggling poor handicapped Luck to struggle.  

Kind of like how Manning was a product of the dome, then went to Denver and set the TD record.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

ive been wondering if the roof was a mistake, they only open it a couple times a year and it surely cost a lot of extra money

Yes, it was.  And the sound system supposedly isn't weather proof.  Irsay footed the bill for the retractability of the roof.  I wish he would have used the money on something else.

It was during the period he was infatuated with the Steelers, Ravens, and Chargers 34 outdoor defenses and thought playing in the open air is what makes good playoff teams, it seems to me.

But then came Field Turf and now nobody cares if football is indoors or outdoors, except the fans who might have to sit in the sun.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Luck 464, 4 TD's, no INT's. Came from behind 18 down to put Indy up in OT. People just need to shut up about him, if one says anything negative about him this week you just look like a turd. If that is how you want to look then be my guest.

Yeah those darn fumbles really killed the team and I don't really think those are on Luck.  

The Good: Luck, Hilton, Anthony Walker, Chester Rogers (wow can't believe I'm saying that).  Overall wide receivers in the end played well considering the dropped passes.  

The Bad: The dropped passes, the D in general.  They couldn't stop Watson via the air or ground.  Some of Franks play calls.  

The Ugly: The OL, sheesh what a bottom barrel performance by Good and Clark.  Luck was sacked 4 times.  They gave up two fumbles which were converted to an easy 14 points.  Nelson whiffed badly against Clowney.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Malakai432 said:

Yeah those darn fumbles really killed the team and I don't really think those are on Luck.  

The Good: Luck, Hilton, Anthony Walker, Chester Rogers (wow can't believe I'm saying that).  Overall wide receivers in the end played well considering the dropped passes.  

The Bad: The dropped passes, the D in general.  They couldn't stop Watson via the air or ground.  Some of Franks play calls.  

The Ugly: The OL, sheesh what a bottom barrel performance by Good and Clark.  Luck was sacked 4 times.  They gave up two fumbles which were converted to an easy 14 points.  Nelson whiffed badly against Clowney.  

He did have the 1 fumble, just a great play by Watt. The other one was more Kelly's fault IMO but yeah any Turnover stinks.

• Like 1

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He did have the 1 fumble, just a great play by Watt. The other one was more Kelly's fault IMO but yeah any Turnover stinks.

Yeah I could barley see that because the projector stank where I was at.  Did we try to run a wild cat formation or was it just a miffed snap? 

• Like 1

From a pure football perspective, I don't think the roof makes much of a difference, save maybe on kick/punt returns or really deep passes when the ball is high up in the air.  Which is...what every player in the NFL deals with in an Outdoor stadium. Non-issue.

Aesthetically, I don't really like how it makes the one part of the field so much brighter, but that's just my opinion, and I don't feel all that strongly about it.