LucasOilStadium

Colts Vs. Texans Game Day Thread

Because of the wonderful comeback, to me the tie would have BEEN a win, whereas the loss just feels so negative.  I disagree hugely with the decision, though I concede I understand the logic.  I still think if the thought WAS to go for it, then they should have done so the first time up when everybody just thought they were trying to draw them offside. 

Over it now, though, on to Foxboro. 

51 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Because of the wonderful comeback, to me the tie would have BEEN a win, whereas the loss just feels so negative.  I disagree hugely with the decision, though I concede I understand the logic.  I still think if the thought WAS to go for it, then they should have done so the first time up when everybody just thought they were trying to draw them offside. 

Over it now, though, on to Foxboro. 

I concur. If it was on the other 45 it looks much better.  Plus you handed Houston a cheap win early in the year.  

2 hours ago, JCPatriot said:

Guarantee, no, but barring something crazy a punt is very likely to result in a tie in that situation.  (There are no guarantees in the NFL.)  On the flip side, there is no guarantee that the Colts win if they convert and pick up the 1st down.  They still wouldn't have been in FG range, so they could have still tied even if they had converted the play.  So if you're weighing risk vs. reward, the reward if you convert is that you have a chance to win but it's reasonably likely that you still end up with a tie.  The risk if you don't convert is that you very likely lose.  Given that risk/reward breakdown, I would have punted if I was only thinking about this game in isolation.  If you look at the bigger picture and consider the standings, though, the situation changes.  1-2-1 isn't much better than 1-3.  You're ahead of the 1-3 teams but still behind the 2-2 teams.  Looking forward toward the playoffs, being ahead of the 1-3 teams probably doesn't help you much but being tied with the 2-2 teams could prove valuable.  Given that we probably have a loss coming up next week against NE, then being 2-3 is MUCH better than being 1-3-1 but being 1-3-1 isn't much better than being 1-4.  Basically, this team is at a point where you need to take some calculated risks if you are going to have a chance at making the playoffs.  They took one of those risks today, and it didn't pan out.  If this team was 3-0 and they did the same thing that they did today, I would be upset because they cost themselves half a game in the standings.  I would take 3-0-1 over 3-1 because it puts you ahead of all the 3-1 teams......which are teams that you may need to be ahead of at the end of the season.

This is exactly right. Given the percentages of making the playoffs...a tie would have been almost as bad as the loss....either way without the win we would have been a long shot to make the playoffs at the quarter post.

The thing is since the OT period has now been REDUCED to 10 minutes from 15 minutes, ties will now happen more often imo. They won't be as bad or rare as they used to be.

Of course you want to win at all cost. A win is much better than a loss or tie.

A tie is better than a lost.

5 hours ago, ColtsSouljah said:

I love Reich, but he has A LOT of explaining to do.

Also, memo to all coaches: STOP GIVING KICKERS A SECOND CHANCE.

If you want to ice him call it sooner. Don't give him a practice kick to get rid of his nerves. Dumb.