Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2018....... The long preseason for 2019

MikeCurtis

As I look at this Colts team, I can see some significant improvement from the squad from last year

I am impressed with the attitude of the players. They are making DUMB mistakes (coachable) and

they are playing their hearts out. I am impressed with the front office as they build this squad. 

Its clear that they have a plan

I am always hoping for a win, and I do believe that we will improve over last year and get to 8-8 for the year.

My expectations were much higher for this team, when Manning was winning 13-14 games year over year.

During this era, we had much more talent on those teams than what we have today 

We had the squad to win 6 Super Bowls.... We only won One

When we lost back then, It would ruin the rest of my weekend

The cold hard truth.........  This team IS getting better, but we still need some additional talent

and for the talented rookies that we brought in, to get more time to develop into this pro game

before we have a fighting change to get to the next level

We are short in some significant areas:

On Offense

We will need an OT in the draft or in FA

(I dont want a RT only, we need one that can develop and MOVE to LT later after AC moves on)

We will need a RB in the draft or in FA

We will need a WR in the draft or in FA

Luck has to get the Mojo back.......He also needs to make some better desicions....... He sometimes throws into

coverage that no one should throw into....... This has NOTHING to do with his repaired shoulder

He HAS to improve both physically AND mentally.........

I'm not concerned with Luck.... Yet

On Defense

We will need to continue to add talent to the DL 

We will need a stronger SSLB

We will need a play-making Safety (SS)

I see fans on this board this year losing their mind after a loss. I think the passion is awesome

I would say.... be patient

We had years of inept drafting and coaching.  We were horrible in drafting. Maybe the worst.

This team will take some time to fill in those gaps

So........ excited to watch my beloved Colts each week, I WANT them to win, but I dont expect the SB this year.

We could be something special in 2019..... 2018 is sort of my "preseason" for 2019

Our future should be great

Deano

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I like the post, good read, just one change:

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

On Defense

We don't need a SS, we have two above average ones. Instead, I would flip that to finding a true lockdown Cornerback.

Otherwise, I agree with everything!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WarGhost21 said:

I like the post, good read, just one change:

We don't need a SS, we have two above average ones. Instead, I would flip that to finding a true lockdown Cornerback.

Otherwise, I agree with everything!

Thanks for the kind comment

IMHO, this defense is not driven by lock down corners.

We can get by, and do well with CBs that can keep the action in front of them.

They HAVE to be able to tackle, many times the CB is a little bigger in a cover two, as they have more responsibility in run support than a pure cover corner 

There are MANY more CBs that could fit this role in the college ranks. Kids that are a step too slow to follow the speed types all over the field.... they can be had in rounds 4-5.

The defenses that require a CB to stick like glue all over the field need the special CB.  I dont believe ours is one of them.

The safeties have to be special ones in this defense. The SS needs to be able to bring the wood when needed as well as cover.  (Bob Sanders and John Lynch made such a difference on the variations of cover two)   

Do you remember the difference when Bob Sanders was in the game?

(Not often enough)

I believe Derwin James is one of those "special" SS.  (I hope we can be in range to get a player of similar caliber with one of our 3 picks)

I think our FS is special.  You see some sparks, but he is still coming up to speed after the knee injury.... Lets hope he gets back to where he was

Of course... EVERYONE on this defense is assisted with a good passrush

(Keep your eyes on Jones from Ohio State........  )

If there isnt a tackle available when we pick, I would RUN to the podium to pick this kid........  Strong as an OX, and penetrates like very few others

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Thanks for the kind comment

IMHO, this defense is not driven by lock down corners.

We can get by, and do well with CBs that can keep the action in front of them.

They HAVE to be able to tackle, many times the CB is a little bigger in a cover two, as they have more responsibility in run support than a pure cover corner 

There are MANY more CBs that could fit this role in the college ranks. Kids that are a step too slow to follow the speed types all over the field.... they can be had in rounds 4-5.

The defenses that require a CB to stick like glue all over the field need the special CB.  I dont believe ours is one of them.

The safeties have to be special ones in this defense. The SS needs to be able to bring the wood when needed as well as cover.  (Bob Sanders and John Lynch made such a difference on the variations of cover two)   

Do you remember the difference when Bob Sanders was in the game?

(Not often enough)

I believe Derwin James is one of those "special" SS.  (I hope we can be in range to get a player of similar caliber with one of our 3 picks)

I think our FS is special.  You see some sparks, but he is still coming up to speed after the knee injury.... Lets hope he gets back to where he was

Of course... EVERYONE on this defense is assisted with a good passrush

(Keep your eyes on Jones from Ohio State........  )

If there isnt a tackle available when we pick, I would RUN to the podium to pick this kid........  Strong as an OX, and penetrates like very few others

Yep...I am with you in regards to getting another elite S. That could be this team’s identity. Tall CBs that can jump, catch and tackle to cover the boundaries (can be found later in the draft due to not fitting a man coverage scheme)...a pair of taller elite Ss and a game-wrecking tall athletic LB or two. A defense that can handle anything thrown in front of them and make it very difficult to throw over them. 

Obviously, exceptions do exist...like Josh Jackson...a 1st round CB slipping a round. But mostly, my focus would be on having studs at LB and S. 

I was probably alone in hoping they would trade back and grab James (not that wanting to lock down LG wasn’t a good thing)...but you could see what type of impact a player like James would have. It’s not surprising that he is a legit DPOY candidate (well maybe a bit surprising it’s this early)...and in hindsight, having him and Leonard would be incredible. (Imagine even having Leonard, James and Fred a Warner right now...damn.)

But they can still get someone like him moving forward. Ideally, they have three starters at S...so they can run big nickel. Two of those would be every down studs and the other a solid starter. And finally, a good backup that can rotate and be insurance. Right now, the Colts have 3/4. Add a S like James and it’s perfect. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

I was probably alone in hoping they would trade back and grab James (not that wanting to lock down LG wasn’t a good thing)...but you could see what type of impact a player like James would have. It’s not surprising that he is a legit DPOY candidate (well maybe a bit surprising it’s this early)...and in hindsight, having him and Leonard would be incredible. (Imagine even having Leonard, James and Fred a Warner right now...damn.)

You weren't alone on James

He is doing very well in San Diego

James was one of my top 3 choices for a tradeback scenario

There doesnt seem to be the "james type" in College, ready to come out

(At least now yet)

Im not unhappy with Quentin....... He will be all pro at some point

it was also one of the things we needed

8-8 puts us in range for some VERY good players next year

(DL and OT)

• Like 1

Nice post!  IMO We need an ambien pass-rusher, 2 more Offensive linemen fairly high draft picks the positions of which can't be truly determined till  end of year after all the injuries and positions of MAJOR weakness get settled (Ballard'ed).  FA or mid to late draft picks should include another linebacker, SS, cornerback & wide receiver (preferably picking up an ambien WR thru FA).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MikeCurtis said:

You weren't alone on James

He is doing very well in San Diego

James was one of my top 3 choices for a tradeback scenario

There doesnt seem to be the "james type" in College, ready to come out

(At least now yet)

Im not unhappy with Quentin....... He will be all pro at some point

it was also one of the things we needed

8-8 puts us in range for some VERY good players next year

(DL and OT)

I am not unhappy with Nelson either. This draft class just seemed to be loaded with S and LB talent...and solid depth at other positions on day two. Didn't completely work out that way because teams gobbled up OL players in the back half of the 1st round. 

Looking at next year, right now, it looks like DL, OT and WR as the groups to target (as far as talent goes). I think Ballard will look at OT in the 2nd round...but I am all in on getting a disruptive DL player in the 1st round...and it would take a lot to move me off that position (like multiple college players retiring). Depending on where the Colts draft, it could be a franchise-changing player. 

Here is a CBS Sports 2019 Mock Draft from a few days ago with the Colts drafting #7. Both Ed Oliver and Rashan Gary (my draft crush going on two years) are sitting there. That's not happening...but having a shot at either of those players would be amazing.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-nfl-mock-draft-rams-vikings-add-more-serious-talent-jaguars-look-to-replace-bortles/

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I dont think we will be that bad (7th?)

Also.... no SS star on this list

I don't think they are either...and I don't think either Oliver slips that far (Gary maybe...but he's going to blow up at the Combine). But I think we will know more after tomorrow's game. Losing at home to an 0-3 HOU team won't inspire much confidence...but win comfortably and carry that momentun into TNF and maybe even beat NE? That team is not sniffing a top 10 pick.

Yeah...this upcoming draft does not appear to be a good one for S...though it is early. So that will have to wait. The past two years have been loaded at S though...so it's good the Colts got at least one of them. But it would be really nice to have another one of those guys.

Geathers has his moments...but he also has his limitations...not to mention an injury history and an impending FA. It will be interesting to see how Ballard handles this. The FA group for S (including Geathers) is actually very good if those guys make it to FA. Maybe Ballard uses some of that cap space and makes a move to bring one in to upgrade Geathers.

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

I don't think they are either...and I don't think either Oliver slips that far (Gary maybe...but he's going to blow up at the Combine). But I think we will know more after tomorrow's game. Losing at home to an 0-3 HOU team won't inspire much confidence...but win comfortably and carry that momentun into TNF and maybe even beat NE? That team is not sniffing a top 10 pick.

Yeah...this upcoming draft does not appear to be a good one for S...though it is early. So that will have to wait. The past two years have been loaded at S though...so it's good the Colts got at least one of them. But it would be really nice to have another one of those guys.

Geathers has his moments...but he also has his limitations...not to mention an injury history and an impending FA. It will be interesting to see how Ballard handles this. The FA group for S (including Geathers) is actually very good if those guys make it to FA. Maybe Ballard uses some of that cap space and makes a move to bring one in to upgrade Geathers.

Landon Collins will probably be tagged or signed........  But if he isnt........  I might make a FA run at him

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, joeb said:

Take into account that Q is only 22 yrs. old. Still a baby.  He will be one of the best offensive linemen the Colts have ever had.

I hope that you are right.....

Can you imagine him in 2-3 years???  He will be a monster once he gets his feet fully under him and spends some time with Pro sports, strength coaches

Our middle of the line will be formidable

2 hours ago, shastamasta said:

You guys keep talking about the defense we need play makers on offense there’s where the focus needs to be next offseason not so much the defense. 

• Thanks 1

After philly,...i was MORE hyped about our team than before.  Not upset.  Not a single person in the entire NFL world,..including us, thought 3 months ago we had a chance in hell to win that game.  But we had multiple chances.  So That alone made me very happy.

Youth is our strength right now.  Yes, we do need to get another stud o-lineman, another stud WR (maybe Cain can be that guy, but i wouldn't take that chance).

Frankly, those are the ONLY real need this team will definitely need next year.

The other positions that everyone is harping about has VERY young players who may or may not come into their own by season's end.  We need to let the season play out and see who rises to the challenge.  Then fill holes that seem to be there when it is actually time to do it.

That's like buying Repair materials for a house you haven't even went to look at yet.

• Like 2

Three games in and one game back.   A fumble and a sack away from potentially being in the drivers seat.  Oh I forgot.  This year is the preseason for 2019.  I don't think Jim Irsay, Frank Reich and Andrew Luck and the rest of the players will have any of that talk.  I'm not drinking that cool aid thank you. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Three games in and one game back.   A fumble and a sack away from potentially being in the drivers seat.  Oh I forgot.  This year is the preseason for 2019.  I don't think Jim Irsay, Frank Reich and Andrew Luck and the rest of the players will have any of that talk.  I'm not drinking that cool aid thank you. 

Wow.....  pent up anger or something?

I truly hope you are right and I m wrong... I root for my team, and am happy with the progress from last year

But....

This is NOT the year we will win the Super Bowl

This is NOT the year we even get to the Superbowl

This is NOT the year we get to the AFC championship

I don't see a team that is complete enough to even make let

alone compete in the playoffs

..... This year

If you think that we are at that top level..........Sept 29, 2018........

the koolaide is on me..... I think they may sell it in the big packs..........

I will STIR it up for you

But would I bet my hard earned money on the Colts to be more than 8-8 ..... Nope

I'm a fan and will be rooting for the blue.........but also a realist, but hoping for the best

And Sheeze..... Lighten up..... We are ALL Colts fans....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Three games in and people are accepting mediocrity as an acceptable achievement.  With Andrew Luck and a winnable division?   If it happens so be it.  But if you don't set high goals don't expect to achieve them.  All you have to do is make the tournament then anything can happen with a good QB.  I'm not thinking about next year right now.  That's not me. 

You have to admit the losses were heartbreakers.  The strip on Doyle was  just unfortunate and part of the game. The Philly game was to me the most troubling. The refs basically stole that game from us.  I hate to use that as an excuse but that's the way I saw it.   Bad weather, no run game and the play calling.  C'mon Frank!  We have to come back this week.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

As I look at this Colts team, I can see some significant improvement from the squad from last year

I am impressed with the attitude of the players. They are making DUMB mistakes (coachable) and

they are playing their hearts out. I am impressed with the front office as they build this squad. 

I am always hoping for a win, and I do believe that we will improve over last year and get to 8-8 for the year.

My expectations were much higher for this team, when Manning was winning 13-14 games year over year.

The cold hard truth.........  This team IS getting better, but we still need some additional talent

and for the talented rookies that we brought in, to get more time to develop into this pro game

On Offense

(I dont want a RT only, we need one that can develop and MOVE to LT later after AC moves on)

Luck has to get the Mojo back.......He also needs to make some better desicions....... He sometimes throws into

coverage that no one should throw into....... This has NOTHING to do with his repaired shoulder

On Defense

I see fans on this board this year losing their mind after a loss. I think the passion is awesome

We had years of inept drafting and coaching.  We were horrible in drafting. Maybe the worst.

So........ excited to watch my beloved Colts each week, I WANT them to win, but I dont expect the SB this year.

We could be something special in 2019..... 2018 is sort of my "preseason" for 2019

Deano

Thanks, Deano...   good post.

I always appreciate fans who can see the Big Picture.    So many here, including some in this thread,  simply do not.

So be it.   Their choice.   

This looks like a fun interesting season.    The kids are playing their hearts out.  But the key is....   the kids HAVE TO PLAY.  Ballard is willing to lose some games this year to win many more games in the near future because the kids learned on the job. And the years to come look very promising.    As a fan,  I’m good with our approach.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

You guys keep talking about the defense we need play makers on offense there’s where the focus needs to be next offseason not so much the defense. 

Oh yeah...the offense definitely needs help. No disagreement on that. I was banging that drum all offseason (including day two of the draft). I was just talking about in the event of them having an early 1st round pick next year, given the DL talent available. 

With three day two picks, I fully expect offense to be a focus (though I said the same thing this year). And a ton of cap space...they should be able to make some other moves. I still wouldn't rule out Bell. Unfortunately, it's a very weak FA group at WR...but maybe Ballard can get creative with his cap space and maybe get a good WR under a contract.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

On Offense

On Defense

Deano

I could not agree more.  I have been saying this as well.  I would look for Ballard to go bigger in FA next off-season too.  I feel like this is Andrew's "get back" year where there will be some ups and downs, but with a full season under his belt, and a full off-season of work, he will come out with his hair on fire next season, and hopefully with more help around him.  I see 2019 as a potentially special season.

• Like 1

I could not agree with you guys more. The offense needs help. We basically have no run game. Turbin's return will help , Mack might as well be a rookie. have no idea what to expect from him.  Receivers if you take away TY we have nothing. I am far more optimistic about the defense. Drafting  or signing a DE, Lb and CB would be very good too.  You have to admit we have been spoiled from the Manning years. Grigson set this team back 4-5 years with his *ic drafting. We are on the right path the future looks bright. 

• Like 1

I am truly getting what the poster is referring to about SS postion.  Defense is exciting to was this year.  They are much stronger up the middle now and you need that playing the tampa 2 defense and lynch tpye safety would be a solid addition.  Throw in another egde rusher that can also play the run.  The coners are not getting alot of love but I say some of our sacks were cover sacks.  LB's play has been suprisingly decent and it early in the season.  Im a fan but Im also a realist.  This year is a coming out for next year and beyond.  You always want to set the bar high and I get that but at the same time in the process it is what it is.  Trending in the right direction....

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 7:45 AM, MikeCurtis said:

On Offense

On Defense

Deano

He needs to get that deep ball back its slow and he under throws it every time he almost got picked off last week cause of it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

He needs to get that deep ball back its slow and he under throws it every time he almost got picked off last week cause of it.

I am hoping that will come

He is clearly not at the same level as before.

But I am almost MORE worried about his decision making than I am his throwing

There was one throw, where THREE Eagles were blanketing the reciever, he wasnt close to being open, and Luck didnt have ANY pressure.....   It was almost picked

WHY DID HE THROW THAT BALL????