Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

First (Early) 2019 Mock Draft

R1 - Jeffrey Simmons, DL, Mississippi St. - A dynamic prospect who shows strong against the run and the rare ability to provide a pass rush from the inside. Our scheme in particular will be given a major boost by having a dominant DT. 

R2 - Kelvin Harmon, WR, North Carolina St. - A big possession receiver who has good hands and NFL athleticism. He could fight for the #2 WR role on our roster immediately. 

R2 - Trey Adams, OL, Washington - He’s a top 15 pick if healthy. Adams has a rare blend of size and athleticism. His technique is pretty good and he's nearly impossible to bull rush. He comes with some durability concerns but immense talent. 

R3 - Khalil Hodge, LB, Buffalo - Another balanced linebacker who can cover the run or the pass to add to our lineup. He could push for a starting position role early, in addition to our good young talent.

R4 - Alijah Holder, CB, Stanford - A cornerback with good length and ball skills. There were some medical concerns with him, but so far he’s looked to have fully recovered, this year. 

R4 - Yodny Cajuste, OL, West Virginia - An athletic tackle who could use a bit of refinement. He’s got adequate, but not overwhelming length. His foot speed and strength are tremendous. 

R5 - Derrick Baity, CB, Kentucky - A lengthy cornerback who’s had a solid college career in the SEC.  He’s had a lot of passes defended over his career, and the desired height that will help with defend taller receivers. 

R6 - Ryan Bee, Edge/DL, Marshall - He’s been used a lot inside and even as a nose tackle, but has found ways to create sacks nonetheless. His frame is more of a DE frame, and he could be another outside/inside rusher that our scheme tends to like to stock a few of. 

R7 - Matt Gay, K, Utah - If our kicker finally feels like retiring, here’s a good replacement option for him.

Overview:

O-line:  I've added 2 tackles, as I think we're all set with the guys we have in the middle. We've seen how thin we are at the position this year when Castonzo is out. Speaking of Castonzo, 2019 will be a contract year for him and he'll be 31. Adams would be fairly likely to start at RT as a rookie (if he had overcome the health issues) and Cajuste would be waiting in the wings as a potential starter or swing tackle in the future. I'd still think of Haeg as the swing tackle after this mock for 2019. 

D-line: Adding an elite defensive tackle is the goal. You never know, because some draft picks bust but Simmons looks good... Good enough that he might be that kind of guy. Ryan Bee is a nice late round prospect who could provide rotational value.  We have Tyquan Lewis coming back, and with DEs Jabaal Sheard, Denacio Autry, and Kemoko Turay I'm okay with mostly focusing on creating more interior strength in our front 4. 

Linebacker: I finally like a lot of what we've done here. Darius Leonard has looked good so far, and Anthony Walker is off to a solid start. I think Skai Moore is at least a very nice rotational guy. But I still think adding one more in Hodge (the best Khalil out of Buffalo since Mack) could carry lots of bang for the buck of a 3rd round pick. 

Secondary: I don't think it's that desperate a situation, so while I addressed it, I didn't do so on the first 2 days. That said, I really like a couple of the CBs that are eligible this year (like DeAndre Baker for one). I think an improved defensive front will help our secondary, which is already performing surprisingly well so far in 2018. So I've added 2 guys with length who are used to playing at a high competition level in college. As for safety, I've added a depth player at the position. 

Wide Receiver: We are pretty thin here these days. Behind T.Y. Hilton, nobody has really separated themselves. With promising rookie Deon Cain coming back, and the addition of a guy like Harmon, I think our WR group will be looking better after this mock. 

• Like 1

This draft is deep at the DL spot, so I might be tempted to think we go OT first before DL on day 2. Otherwise, this draft looks very good.

I also hope Ballard trades one of his 2nd rounders to Philly for their later 2nd rounder and a 3rd thus giving us two 2nd rounders and two 3rd rounders??? :thmup:

On 9/27/2018 at 10:14 PM, Track Guy said:

O-line:  I've added 2 tackles, as I think we're all set with the guys we have in the middle. We've seen how thin we are at the position this year when Castonzo is out. Speaking of Castonzo, 2019 will be a contract year for him and he'll be 31. Adams would be fairly likely to start at RT as a rookie (if he had overcome the health issues) and Cajuste would be waiting in the wings as a potential starter or swing tackle in the future. I'd still think of Haeg as the swing tackle after this mock for 2019. 

D-line: Adding an elite defensive tackle is the goal. You never know, because some draft picks bust but Simmons looks good... Good enough that he might be that kind of guy. Ryan Bee is a nice late round prospect who could provide rotational value.  We have Tyquan Lewis coming back, and with DEs Jabaal Sheard, Denacio Autry, and Kemoko Turay I'm okay with mostly focusing on creating more interior strength in our front 4. 

Way too early but its fun to play

I agree with your points

I think Jones from Ohio State will be available when we pick in round one

I would also think VERY hard about giving BOTH 2nd round picks up to move BACK into round one...... IF and only IF one of the top 3 tackles slid a bit

If we came out of this draft with a disrupter in the middle of the defensive line and someone who could come in and immediately started at RT.... I would be a HAPPY camper

We still need a playmaker safety to make this defense tick. I would be all into the Giants Collins

I would also overpay for 3 years of service from the well rested Leveon Bell

I think Turay is going to be our RE of the future at WSDE.......

I think Sheard is a talent on SSDE

With some luck (Just a year of limited injuries, Good Lord)

And some prudent pickups.........

This could be a very good team next year.........

In my dreams (prolly NOT gonna happen)

Collins at Safety

Bell at RB

One of the 3 OTs 

Jones DT from Ohio State

Best CB, WR, SSLB, S, available with picks

• Like 1

On October 7, 2018 at 11:08 AM, MikeCurtis said:

Way too early but its fun to play

I agree with your points

I think Jones from Ohio State will be available when we pick in round one

I would also think VERY hard about giving BOTH 2nd round picks up to move BACK into round one...... IF and only IF one of the top 3 tackles slid a bit

If we came out of this draft with a disrupter in the middle of the defensive line and someone who could come in and immediately started at RT.... I would be a HAPPY camper

We still need a playmaker safety to make this defense tick. I would be all into the Giants Collins

I would also overpay for 3 years of service from the well rested Leveon Bell

I think Turay is going to be our RE of the future at WSDE.......

I think Sheard is a talent on SSDE

With some luck (Just a year of limited injuries, Good Lord)

And some prudent pickups.........

This could be a very good team next year.........

In my dreams (prolly NOT gonna happen)

Collins at Safety

Bell at RB

One of the 3 OTs 

Jones DT from Ohio State

Best CB, WR, SSLB, S, available with picks

Which 3 OTs are you thinking? There's some speculation that Adams may go back for a 5th year. I know there's first round buzz on Jonah Williams, Greg Little, and David Edwards - are those the 3 names or are there others? 

On 10/9/2018 at 7:43 PM, Track Guy said:

Which 3 OTs are you thinking? There's some speculation that Adams may go back for a 5th year. I know there's first round buzz on Jonah Williams, Greg Little, and David Edwards - are those the 3 names or are there others? 

I’ve only really seen Williams as a guaranteed 1st rounder. 

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I’ve only really seen Williams as a guaranteed 1st rounder. 

Of course nothing is guaranteed

And of course..... too early

OTs that COULD be drafted in round 1

Williams

Little

Adams

Edwards

Risner

ALL of them could play RT, year one, I also think that they would be an upgrade over current situation

Maybe 3 of 5 could develop into a LT.

So...........  disrupter in the middle......  on defense

AND RT (that might take over for AC later)

If we somehow came up with the combination of these 2, then have rounds 3-5 to add 

to CB, S, WR, RB........ I would be very happy

47 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Of course nothing is guaranteed

And of course..... too early

OTs that COULD be drafted in round 1

Williams

Little

Adams

Edwards

Risner

ALL of them could play RT, year one, I also think that they would be an upgrade over current situation

Maybe 3 of 5 could develop into a LT.

So...........  disrupter in the middle......  on defense

AND RT (that might take over for AC later)

If we somehow came up with the combination of these 2, then have rounds 3-5 to add 

to CB, S, WR, RB........ I would be very happy

Edwards could develop into a LT. He’s got the size, length, and athleticism. Little maybe but he’s just so raw and lacks the toughness.