Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anyone interested in Colts claiming Rishard Matthews?

OffensivelyPC

Titans are supposed to release Rishard Matthews.  Anyone who knows about the situation over the past few months would know that it's been a bit awkward to say the least.  He was allegedly injured, and then they were supposedly working on negotiations.  Got a deal done and one month later, he's being released.  Makes very little sense to me.  

On the other hand, he is a talented player, perhaps better than Grant.  I doubt he's better than Chester Rodgers.  We're hurting for someone other than TY right now.  Matthews is on a one year deal and if he passes through waivers might be on a very cheap one year prove it.  Not caring about next year, jsut a filler for a while.  Wondering what you all thought about him.

• Like 1

I have mixed feelings on him. He obviously had no production because of injury to himself and Mariota early in the preseason and regular season, but he is also quitting on the Titans as well. If Luck doesn't get the ball to him or we aren't competitive quickly, is he going to quit on us too? A one year deal with no guaranteed money and possible incentives I'd be fine with, but that's about it.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I have mixed feelings on him. He obviously had no production because of injury to himself and Mariota early in the preseason and regular season, but he is also quitting on the Titans as well. If Luck doesn't get the ball to him or we aren't competitive quickly, is he going to quit on us too? A one year deal with no guaranteed money and possible incentives I'd be fine with, but that's about it.

Here is the difference 

Coaching change in Tenn.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, IinD said:

I read he was their leading yardage receiver, but I'm not sure if it's a case of a guy who scores 20ppg on a 20 win team in the NBA.

Titans were a playoff team last year and he was one of their leading receivers, at least top 2, if I am not mistaken.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Titans were a playoff team last year and he was one of their leading receivers, at least top 2, if I am not mistaken.

It sucks that he seems to have quit on his current team, but I'd definitely kick the tires on him. WR production is hurting right now.

15 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

JMV just said in his opinion he doubts they will be interested. He said "it would be completely out of character for Ballard to acquire him".

I would probably agree with JMV.  Like Irsay, Ballard seems like a character guy.  Not sure where Rishard and the Titans went wrong, but it's not like they're a football team that has their * together either.  

3 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

On the other hand, he is a talented player, perhaps better than Grant.  I doubt he's better than Chester Rodgers.  We're hurting for someone other than TY right now.  Matthews is on a one year deal and if he passes through waivers might be on a very cheap one year prove it.  Not caring about next year, jsut a filler for a while.  Wondering what you all thought about him.

I'm pretty sure between the close calls on punt returns vs Cincy & the big TD drop last week, the Chester Rogers love affair is slowly but surely starting to (finally) flame out. As far as Matthews goes, I'd prefer to get Fountain involved as opposed to bringing a new body in that has to learn the offense at this point.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I'm pretty sure between the close calls on punt returns vs Cincy & the big TD drop last week, the Chester Rogers love affair is slowly but surely starting to (finally) flame out. As far as Matthews goes, I'd prefer to get Fountain involved as opposed to bringing a new body in that has to learn the offense at this point.

Rogers has become one of those Colts with high hopes, that really has become just a guy on the field.
If they think one of our draft picks can help the offense now, i would expect them to make that bump soon. Something needs to get better soon, Andrew needs HELP outside.

20 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Didn’t he ask for his release

He did.

20 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Maybe and I don't know much of the situation.  But it seems like Mathews is unhappy with his role in the offense.  it seems to me if he were still a talented player he would have a bigger role in the offense.

It was apparent to the Titans coaches their other young guys had caught up and were surpassing him, so he was used less, and targeted rarely.  Players want to play... when healthy.

20 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Here is the difference 

Coaching change in Tenn.

Yes, and if 'their guys' improve enough, then old regimes guys are expendable.  No question they feel this has happened.

19 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I would probably agree with JMV.  Like Irsay, Ballard seems like a character guy.  Not sure where Rishard and the Titans went wrong, but it's not like they're a football team that has their * together either.  

For the 'fallout', see above.  For us not likely to get him, there might be more than talent reasons.

Ballard has said last year Brian Decker's approval is imperative before any FA signing.  There is no question. And Decker's role (and title) have been upgraded this year.  Here's exceprts from a Dan Dakich interview last year-

***  So, for example, when the Colts are looking to sign a player Ballard confirmed that the player will have to meet with Brian Decker. So essentially, his job is going to be trying to gather together all of the background information possible on the player and then formulate opinions based on the process that he’s developed over the years - and that, at least in the military, has been proven to work. That’s what his job will be with the Colts.

So you’ve done all this research and you’ve talked to every source you can talk to and you’ve got every story about a player, but trying to get it as close to the hole as we can, and that’s what Brian will help us do. He’ll help our scouts ask the right questions when they’re on the road to help dig out information, and then he’ll take that information and use it going forward to help formulate, ‘hey, these are the guys.’ So look, all we’re doing is [asking] what’s the risk level when we take a guy? And when we take a guy that has some risk, we’ve got to be able to make it work. And what risks are worth it and what ones are not?”

That led into a discussion with some similar themes that we’ve heard from Ballard before about the importance of having a plan for the players they bring in. Basically, Ballard always feels some sort of responsibility when a player doesn’t work out because normally it’s not because of talent, it’s because of some other issue. So whenever a player is brought in the team must have a plan for how to use him and how to help him keep improving, whether as a player or as a person. Perhaps the hire of Brian Decker will help them in formulating those plans. ***

This is likely a very good reason why we don't run every cut and waived player in and out of the building. And not all that do come in, get a contract.  I know the Directors of Pro Player and College Scouting are in close relations with Decker as well as Ballard.  Just part of the 'squad' Ballard heads up.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

image.png.93a8d5c4048b717479ef1b73c2528a98.png

4 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Rogers has become one of those Colts with high hopes, that really has become just a guy on the field.
If they think one of our draft picks can help the offense now, i would expect them to make that bump soon. Something needs to get better soon, Andrew needs HELP outside.

I never really understood it to begin with, sometimes I think our fans just REALLY love a good underdog story. Unfortunately the reality is that Rogers has had 1 TD in his entire career, & he very likely won't be on the team next year.

• Like 1

reading the story on espn and getting his side, sounds like he just wasn't getting the playing time. I mean I'd be pretty upset as well if I was the teams leading receiver a year ago and after 3 games I have only been targeted 6 times. all while a Slot receiver, Tight End, and a Running Back have been targets more times.   watch the patriots or the Jags sign him in the next couple of days. 

1 hour ago, Deadpool said:

reading the story on espn and getting his side, sounds like he just wasn't getting the playing time. I mean I'd be pretty upset as well if I was the teams leading receiver a year ago and after 3 games I have only been targeted 6 times. all while a Slot receiver, Tight End, and a Running Back have been targets more times.   watch the patriots or the Jags sign him in the next couple of days. 

I recall Kamar Aiken  having a nice year before he came here. But they had no one else to throw it too. He looked pretty slow here. We will see about this guy.

How could he be better than Grant but not better than Rogers, have you watched any of the games thus far. Rodgers has been almost invisible. Grant is playing like a number 2 receiver should. 

Ryan Grant- 13 catches, 124 yards and 1 TD

Chester Rogers-8 catches 49 yards

• Like 1

On 9/28/2018 at 6:07 PM, Superman said:

I'm not too interested in Matthews, especially not at this point in the season. But a good #2 receiver is a must for next season. 

Why?   Point in the season?  We are only "three games in" and one game back.  He just might be able to help us this year.     I can't believe all the people wanting us to sit on our hands and do nothing to help this years team.  It's forget about this year and every move we make is supposed to about next year.   Good grief. 

51 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Why?   Point in the season?  We are only "three games in" and one game back.  He just might be able to help us this year.     I can't believe all the people wanting us to sit on our hands and do nothing to help this years team.  It's forget about this year and every move we make is supposed to about next year.   Good grief. 

Corey Coleman was just released by the Pats.  Maybe give him a shot. But he's been through 3 teams in less than 2 years. (drafted 1st round 2016.)

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Why don’t you knock on Jim Irsay’s door and tell him to fire Chris Ballard IMMEDIATELY!   Tell him to hire you because you want to win TODAY and don’t care about next year and beyond.

Because that’s pretty much what you’ve said with most every post you’ve made for the last four or five months.   You want big name players right now.

There’s no way you don’t know what Ballard’s vision for the team is.   And your vision is 180 degrees opposite.  So apparently you think you know better than Ballard.

Good luck with that.....

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

What are you on about? The reason I'm not interested in him is because I don't think he's that good. And he didn't go through camp with us so he'd have a limited package in the offense. 

If you tell me a big time playmaker is available at WR who can make an impact in a limited package, that's a different story. Matthews is not that guy. 

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I would respectfully disagree. I believe Ballard is building to be highly competitive in 2020.

There is just to much youth and inexperience to logically think otherwise. Good grief!
 We will need at least 5 more good starter potential add- ons next year, and they will need at least a year or more to get up to the NFL level and or our scheme.

I have enough sense to know  that Ballard and Frank and their staffs actually have a Clue of what looks best going forward. As a football fan i am just watching and along for the ride on this shiny new Colt. 

• Like 1

I object to the 'building for 2020 talk  because 2020 is not promised to anyone healthwise.

We were building for 20187 until Andrew was disabled.

You've got to live for today in the NFL...and Andrew is healthy today

But with that said.,we're not going to sign a 29-year old WR unless there's an injury.

I like what we have at receiver.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

How could he be better than Grant but not better than Rogers, have you watched any of the games thus far. Rodgers has been almost invisible. Grant is playing like a number 2 receiver should. 

Ryan Grant- 13 catches, 124 yards and 1 TD

Chester Rogers-8 catches 49 yards

Agreed....these are OK numbers and Rogers will get more as we play at home more and as the season progresses...

On 9/27/2018 at 6:28 PM, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I meant that he was "no doubt" better than rodgers.