Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Breakout Candidate for Week 4

TheMose

Who is your Breakout Candidate for Week 4? A player who has been stagnant or noneffective that you project to have a good/great week against the Texans and get the ball rolling for the rest of the season.

I'm going to say Hooker. While he has been good, he's searching for his first pick as a ball hawk. And I don't love Watson's decision making. He had some of the most interceptable throws last year and continues to make bad decisions.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TheMose said:

Who is your Breakout Candidate for Week 4? A player who has been stagnant or noneffective that you project to have a good/great week against the Texans and get the ball rolling for the rest of the season.

I'm going to say Hooker. While he has been good, he's searching for his first pick as a ball hawk. And I don't love Watson's decision making. He had some of the most interceptable throws last year and continues to make bad decisions.

I was hoping for Hooker to get that int. last week, but didn't know it would rain, which may have had a part.  I look for it this week, after 3 games under his belt, and at home in the dome!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Boiler_Colt said:

I was hoping Hooker too. But he missed practice today with a hip/groin injury. Same thing he dealt with at Ohio St. Hope he's alright.

I almost never trust Wednesday injury reports. We will see throughout the week before I worry. But definitely monitoring it.

32 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Walker.  He's been playing really well and most of it has gone unnoticed because of the way Leonard has been playing.  Now as we see teams start to adjust their blocking schemes to account for Leonard, someone is going to have to make them pay for that.  I think Walker is that guy.

Love this. Walker has been great. The duo of Leonard and Walker is definitely one of our strong suits when it was projected to be one of our weaker positions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheMose said:

Can I go with marlon Mack?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheMose said:

LeVeon Bell 

2 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Walker.  He's been playing really well and most of it has gone unnoticed because of the way Leonard has been playing.  Now as we see teams start to adjust their blocking schemes to account for Leonard, someone is going to have to make them pay for that.  I think Walker is that guy.

He had a pick just last week and about 10 tackles 

My pick is Turay. I read the game is starting to slow down for him. I liked this kid predraft and was very happy we took him. He's going to be trouble for opposing OL's when he puts it all together. It just so happens his breakout should go hand in hand with a certain S showing his ball skills as well. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, TheMose said:

Love this. Walker has been great. The duo of Leonard and Walker is definitely one of our strong suits when it was projected to be one of our weaker positions.

Yeah, I liked Walker coming out of college (being a Michigan fan I watch a lot of Big 10 ball so I saw him a few times in college) and thought he did well the last few games of the 2017 season but he's been doing better than I thought in this defense.  He has become a 3 down LB, he's good at filling his gap, hard, he's good in coverage, he's been blown out a few times by a lineman reaching him but for the most part he holds his ground and sheds.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Yeah, I liked Walker coming out of college (being a Michigan fan I watch a lot of Big 10 ball so I saw him a few times in college) and thought he did well the last few games of the 2017 season but he's been doing better than I thought in this defense.  He has become a 3 down LB, he's good at filling his gap, hard, he's good in coverage, he's been blown out a few times by a lineman reaching him but for the most part he holds his ground and sheds.  

He shoots the gap a lot leaving outside gaps exposed. Hopefully he can get better 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2018 at 10:04 AM, akcolt said:

My pick is Turay. I read the game is starting to slow down for him. I liked this kid predraft and was very happy we took him. He's going to be trouble for opposing OL's when he puts it all together. It just so happens his breakout should go hand in hand with a certain S showing his ball skills as well. 

Agreed. For a developmental player in his rookie year, he has played well against some of the best left tackles in the league in Williams, Peters and Glenn. He deserves a lot of praise for this, as the challenges don't get much harder than that. This week he has Martinas Rankins, a 4th round rookie who the Texans are forced to play after injury. I like this match up, I think this is a good opportunity for him to get after the QB. 

Loads of potential with this kid.

Okay, I'll take a different tack on this thread:

I think Grover Stewart will come in and make a large (literally!) impact on the game. Here's my thinking: if the Texans have been game-planning, they'll be scheming on Turay and Hunt, leaving Sheard and the inside DT to wreck havoc on the inside OL of HOU. Since Sheard isn't a surprise impact player (he's Mr. Steady-as-she-goes, though!), well Al Woods and/or Grover Stewart should have themselves some QB breakfast bars!

18 hours ago, Alex22 said:

He shoots the gap a lot leaving outside gaps exposed. Hopefully he can get better 

He has had Many Gap issues, but no more than should be anticipated for his experience level.    Hopefully it is ok here to express this opinion about a Colts active player.

21 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

He has had Many Gap issues, but no more than should be anticipated for his experience level.    Hopefully it is ok here to express this opinion about a Colts active player.

I think this statement is totally fair, would people REALLY take exception to such an innocuous opinion about a young player? 

25 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

I think this statement is totally fair, would people REALLY take exception to such an innocuous opinion about a young player? 

I was  just trying hard to not express anything that would get the gang of four to come down on me for not seeing all Blue, all Day, all Season. We will see.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2018 at 7:31 AM, King Colt said:

The OL is still allowing too much pressure on Luck

The O-line is still the week link of the entire team. Luck hasn't been sacked a lot, but he has been hit 19 times which is way too much. Even though they are throwing the shortest passes possible, Luck is still barely getting rid of the ball. And run blocking is nowhere near where it needs to be.

1 minute ago, egg said:

The O-line is still the week link of the entire team. Luck hasn't been sacked a lot, but he has been hit 19 times which is way too much. Even though they are throwing the shortest passes possible, Luck is still barely getting rid of the ball. And run blocking is nowhere near where it needs to be.

If one agrees that Philly gave Slauson and Haeg a bad day, maybe we see Smith coming soon to RG and who knows what at RT. Good is very mediocre as a pass blocker but decent as a run blocker. lol

6 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

No..... every Colts player is a GOAT