Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If Manning Goes To Arizona, Would You Take Larry Fitzgerald In The 1St Round?

Usually a WR in the 1st round isn't the wisest decision, but unless I'm the 1st-3rd overall pick, I'm going for it. You know Manning will throw to the guy (and I'm sure the coaches will recommend it!), and knowing how well Fitzgerald worked with Kurt Warner, I'll wager Fitzgerald and Peyton will become good buddies very fast.

Last year, the Cardinals were ranked 24th in rushing yds (101.6), so look for them to go pass heavy either to help the run or to avoid their sloppy run game altogether, similar to what Indy did. Peyton also has tons of experience throwing to WR's, especially near the endzone on corner routes. With Fitzgerald's big hands and 6'3" frame, Manning can just throw it up and let Fitzgerald fight for it.

What makes Fitzgerald so exciting is Arizona doesn't have an elite #2 WR. After Fitzgerald, the talent drops off quick. Furthermore, Fitzgerald is still young (28) and rarely gets injured. Even when he does, he has a great talent for playing through injury.

Everything on paper seems to scream out to me this is a fantasy match-up made in heaven.

You never take receivers in the first round, never. I would take him in the 2nd or 3rd round. 1st is out of the question. BTW, their O-line is terrible so that's not the best fit for Peyton, which means he may not pan out as expected.

It depends upon a couple of factors. If it's a 12 or more team league and my pick is late, I would certainly consider it. Look at Calvin Johnson last year - does Fitz have a posibility of 110 receptions, 1400 yards, 18 TD's? I'd say he would. But, let's not get too excited just yet. I don't want to draft until late August - even early Sept., so how is this Peyton to Fitz thing working out? We'll certainly know a lot more Aug. 31st then we do now. Or will it be Peyton to Brandon Marshall? That too could be a very big winner - perhaps worthy of a first round pick. But like I said, I don't want to draft until after several pre-season games - time to gather lots of info.

I've never taken a WR in the first round and certainly would not pick Fitzgerald in the first round. Randy Moss was the only WR that I might have picked in the first round when he was the top WR but I wasn't a fan so it would not have happened.

As with most I started out strictly an RB-RB drafter many years ago but soon realized that a top QB got you fairly steady points. I am an RB-QB or QB-RB drafter depending upon who's available. I don't expect to change any time soon unless the WR talent drops off quite a bit. WR value has always been available in the 3rd round for me.

You never take receivers in the first round, never. I would take him in the 2nd or 3rd round. 1st is out of the question. BTW, their O-line is terrible so that's not the best fit for Peyton, which means he may not pan out as expected.

If you didn't take megatron first round last year, you missed out :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I took Megatron first round last year. I picked last, so I took him. Won the league too, thanks to him.

Did the same thing in my league. However, it was a PPR league where receivers are the 2nd highest scoring position to QB's...

I have 12th pick overall in a PPR league this season. In a snake draft if I could nab Calvin and Fitz at #12 & #13 I would definitely do that and gamble on a RB when it comes back.

• 2 weeks later...