Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew is letting his injury affect his decision making

indyagent17

I have thought a long time about his as I watch him play. He is not scanning the field very well and is a bit myopic. He takes unnecessary chances which cost us.  He looks to have no confidence that his should is healed, thus the lack of zip, throwing behind players and the lack of long throws. I was not shocked at all when Brissett came out for the long through. I think his mental game is faulty now and that takes time but it may not be soon 

14 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

I have thought a long time about his as I watch him play. He is not scanning the field very well and is a bit myopic. He takes unnecessary chances which cost us.  He looks to have no confidence that his should is healed, thus the lack of zip, throwing behind players and the lack of long throws. I was not shocked at all when Brissett came out for the long through. I think his mental game is faulty now and that takes time but it may not be soon 

honestly, he reminds me of how Peyton looked coming back from that knee scope years ago, RUSTY.

• Like 2

1. We all agreed that Luck would come back rusty after taking so much time off from football. We are seeing a rusty Andrew Luck, as expected, but maybe forgotten.

2. Luck is in a new system. Even if he wasn't coming back from injury, it would've taken time for him and the offense to get in sync.

3. We are missing our starting tackles. This has forced Reich to be even more conservative. Not only is does Reich have to consider keeping Luck out of harm's way just in general, but now he has to really focus on the short passing game to accommodate the lack of O-line protection from the edges.

4. The offense calls for quick reads. Luck doesn't have the same amount of time to scan the field, as he did with the 7-step drops. He has to get rid of the ball quickly, so the plays are designed with a quick read and pass. If the initial read is not open, then quickly dump it off to the outlet receiver/RB and hope for positive yards.

5. Aside from T.Y. the other receivers are not getting open fast enough. When Luck has his initial read, they need to be open or Luck is asked to dump it off. This explains the high frequency of passes to the RB out in the flats. If the receivers get open, Luck would throw it further up field. That's why we are mainly seeing deeper passes to T.Y., because he can get open.  We are sorely lacking another receiver that can consistently get open fast enough. When Doyle was not in the game, this issue was even more obvious, since aside from T.Y., Doyle found ways to get open quickly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, indyagent17 said:

I don't think it's mental at all, but very real possibility that the lack of zip just is what his shoulder is now after the surgery. Hope it gets better, but labrum surgery has been a death nail for many throwing athletes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Boiler_Colt said:

I don't think it's mental at all, but very real possibility that the lack of zip just is what his shoulder is now after the surgery. Hope it gets better, but labrum surgery has been a death nail for many throwing athletes.

My point is that after such a surgery, throwing a hard as you can may have a mental block!

There were times where there wasn’t a lot of zip on the the ball. Or some under throws. And then there where times where Andrew knew where he was going and could step up in the pocket and throw a laser down the field spot on... he’s got the arm. So I could see this being mental along with some rust. He hasn’t played in a year and a half and also has to regain timing with TY and get to know an entirety of new WRs. By the end of this year if we stay healthy then Andrew will be back to himself and his underthrows should stop.

if nothing changes I’d hand the reins over to Brissett. If NOTHING changes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flash7 said:

1. We all agreed that Luck would come back rusty after taking so much time off from football. We are seeing a rusty Andrew Luck, as expected, but maybe forgotten.

2. Luck is in a new system. Even if he wasn't coming back from injury, it would've taken time for him and the offense to get in sync.

3. We are missing our starting tackles. This has forced Reich to be even more conservative. Not only is does Reich have to consider keeping Luck out of harm's way just in general, but now he has to really focus on the short passing game to accommodate the lack of O-line protection from the edges.

4. The offense calls for quick reads. Luck doesn't have the same amount of time to scan the field, as he did with the 7-step drops. He has to get rid of the ball quickly, so the plays are designed with a quick read and pass. If the initial read is not open, then quickly dump it off to the outlet receiver/RB and hope for positive yards.

5. Aside from T.Y. the other receivers are not getting open fast enough. When Luck has his initial read, they need to be open or Luck is asked to dump it off. This explains the high frequency of passes to the RB out in the flats. If the receivers get open, Luck would throw it further up field. That's why we are mainly seeing deeper passes to T.Y., because he can get open.  We are sorely lacking another receiver that can consistently get open fast enough. When Doyle was not in the game, this issue was even more obvious, since aside from T.Y., Doyle found ways to get open quickly.

On your number one, with Luck being rusty, then he should have played a lot more preseason snaps. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

1. Luck is a gunslinger... Unnecessary chances have been his MO since he has been a Colt... Gunslingers live by the gun and die by the gun.

2. Everything people go through in their past affects their present and future. Of course he has doubt. A year away from the game, dealing with pain and rehab will play a part in Luck's mental psyche. He's smart.... he knows what caused him to get into that bad time in his life and he will not repeat it. He will work through this. The fanbase must be patient.

45 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

On your number one, with Luck being rusty, then he should have played a lot more preseason snaps. 

Not to be argumentative. Luck actually did play more snaps in the preseason than a starting quarterback normally would, simply for this reason. 

We waited one and half season to get him back. Let's be a little more patient and wait just a bit longer to get him fully back into the groove of playing as a top-notch NFL quarterback.

3 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

Should have traded him to the Browns I guess

8 minutes ago, Trueman said:

Or we could just give him more than 3 games to come back from significant time away from the sport. 

Your boy, the future GOAT Josh Allen, had a nice game yesterday. 

Thought Josh Allen was my boy? I had him as the top QB in this year's draft class and was defending him against the whole forum lol! haha